3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

So prevenitive maintenance screwed me over...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
you ride in "comfort" mode...does the word performance mean anything to you? you spend your money your way...we will spend it the way we want to.

labor of cleaning the filter? you go to jiffy lube for oil changes right?

don't speculate..if you don't know what you're talking about don't just toss in BS post.
Yes I ride in comfort mode... don't really see what the problem is, you do realize, that 'power' mode does not actually give you more power ?? All power mode does it get really annoying by hanging around lower gears waaay longer than it should when your in a position where you can't accelerate quickly.

I had a K&N on my old car, and yeah I'd rather have just got another filter than clean it, but it was already there so I stuck with it. Yes I do get oil changes at jiffy lube, good guess ! My apartment complex doesn't allow oil changes in the parking, so I shell out the extra $10 to have some dumb kids get oil on them for me.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

You have an auto? How unfortunate Dave.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
Yes I ride in comfort mode... don't really see what the problem is, you do realize, that 'power' mode does not actually give you more power ?? All power mode does it get really annoying by hanging around lower gears waaay longer than it should when your in a position where you can't accelerate quickly.

I had a K&N on my old car, and yeah I'd rather have just got another filter than clean it, but it was already there so I stuck with it. Yes I do get oil changes at jiffy lube, good guess ! My apartment complex doesn't allow oil changes in the parking, so I shell out the extra $10 to have some dumb kids get oil on them for me.
yes and in comfort mode your engine never really rev past ummm 2500-3000? you don't have to explain the power mode to me...i'm fully aware of it and what it does.

see most of these guys like cars...we look for actual power in cars (modding). most like to wrench on cars...we're "enthusiasts". unlike yourself..you don't rev the car, you don't do any work..did you break a nail when you changed your air filter? do you know where the peak hp and tq are?

extra 10 bucks for a single stage oil filter and some crappy oil..(if they even tighten the drain plug)...sure be my guest. i bet even if you had a house/driveway/garage you still wouldn't do the oil change so don't use that "i live in an apt" BS excuse.

you're coming here preaching to us that the K&N is junk and to stick with a paper panel filter...you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 AM

yes and in comfort mode your engine never really rev past ummm 2500-3000? you don't have to explain the power mode to me...i'm fully aware of it and what it does.

see most of these guys like cars...we look for actual power in cars (modding). most like to wrench on cars...we're "enthusiasts". unlike yourself..you don't rev the car, you don't do any work..did you break a nail when you changed your air filter? do you know where the peak hp and tq are?

extra 10 bucks for a single stage oil filter and some crappy oil..(if they even tighten the drain plug)...sure be my guest. i bet even if you had a house/driveway/garage you still wouldn't do the oil change so don't use that "i live in an apt" BS excuse.

you're coming here preaching to us that the K&N is junk and to stick with a paper panel filter...you have no idea what you're talking about.
Wow you are really in a great mood today.

I do look for actual power in cars, that's why I used to have a 5 liter, an actual fast car. I wouldn't bother wasting money on "power-adders" for a car which is not meant to be fast and is not fast.

Comfort mode doesn't make your car stop revving it will just shift MORE easily, if you hammer the throttle it will still rev just as high as in performace mode. That switch was made for idiots.. that actually believe in it... comfort mode = better city milage that is IT.

Yes I know where peak torque and rpm are.. what does this mean anyway can't anyone just look it up on the internet ?? What are you even talking about ?? this is a really dumb question/insult....

Well until a few months ago when I lived in my house I did change my own oil... wait a sec not only that but I rebuilt a 2200 RE motor (twice I might add the machine shop screwed up the crank), swapped 2 automatic transmissions and attempted to rebuild a differential (I will admit though I couldn't get it back together had to go to a shop).

When I do a mod it is something that actually makes you go faster, not something that just looks nice... I will change differential gears, rebuild, tune engine timing, not add a K&N filter and act like I'm smarter than everyone else for figuring out where peak HP occurs on the very limited power curve of the NIssan Maxima.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

what you want? A cookie?? I've rebuilt 4 cyliner engines too. Swapped trannies. Big deal. Dan knows more about engines than you do. And does a TON more work on cars than you do. Just because you "USED" to have xx car, doesn't mean you know about cars. It just means you had one.

I do look for actual power in cars, that's why I used to have a 5 liter, an actual fast car. I wouldn't bother wasting money on "power-adders" for a car which is not meant to be fast and is not fast.

Comfort mode doesn't make your car stop revving it will just shift MORE easily, if you hammer the throttle it will still rev just as high as in performace mode. That switch was made for idiots.. that actually believe in it... comfort mode = better city milage that is IT.

Yes I know where peak torque and rpm are.. what does this mean anyway can't anyone just look it up on the internet ?? What are you even talking about ?? this is a really dumb question/insult....

Well until a few months ago when I lived in my house I did change my own oil... wait a sec not only that but I rebuilt a 2200 RE motor (twice I might add the machine shop screwed up the crank), swapped 2 automatic transmissions and attempted to rebuild a differential (I will admit though I couldn't get it back together had to go to a shop).

When I do a mod it is something that actually makes you go faster, not something that just looks nice... I will change differential gears, rebuild, tune engine timing, not add a K&N filter and act like I'm smarter than everyone else for figuring out where peak HP occurs on the very limited power curve of the NIssan Maxima.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
what you want? A cookie?? I've rebuilt 4 cyliner engines too. Swapped trannies. Big deal. Dan knows more about engines than you do. And does a TON more work on cars than you do. Just because you "USED" to have xx car, doesn't mean you know about cars. It just means you had one.

Sorry you seem to have suddenly become very jealous... I am not the one asking for a prize here is was Dan that began by challenging me with dumb questions like where is peak HP and TQ.. the sort of quesiton that makes me wonder does this guy really know what he is talking about ?? Why is this guy so concerned about whether or not I change my own oil ??

K&N are sorry excuse for a 'power adder' end of story !!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Actually I think he is, he's selling cars for me

Comfort mode doesn't make your car stop revving it will just shift MORE easily, if you hammer the throttle it will still rev just as high as in performace mode.
If you watch the light, it will turn off when you do that, therefore it is no longer in comfort mode.

I rebuilt a 2200 RE motor
Isn't it called the 22RE? What does the 2200RE come in?

5spds have nice gearing, you should just swap
Wont find too much in the engine timing
I've run every style of intake and can tell you there is a big difference between them all. Then again I could just be talking out of my ****, it's not like I have every bolt on or anything
Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

Sorry Dave. He was just trying to stoop to your level. The only sorry thing in this thread was your explaination of the K&N. Clearly shows you don't know what you are talking about.

But you seem well versed in odometer fraud though.

Sorry you seem to have suddenly become very jealous... I am not the one asking for a prize here is was Dan that began by challenging me with dumb questions like where is peak HP and TQ.. the sort of quesiton that makes me wonder does this guy really know what he is talking about ?? Why is this guy so concerned about whether or not I change my own oil ??

Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 AM

Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but no one makes a bolt on turbo kit for the 3rd gen maxima. Nitrous is the only real power adder avaliable and I only think of 2 guys who are, or have the ability to run it on their 3rd gens.

oh and @ the Jeff being jealous comment.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

5 liter WHAT? i had a 5.0 caprice...was it fast? nope. oh you must be referring to the 4.9 mustang V8?

look who's the idiot that's using the switch....HINT: check the mirror.

the hp/tq just means that the way you drive you'll never really find out where it is on the maxima. not testing your google skills...defensive much?

2200 RE? wtf? is that the lawn mower? how can you not get the differential back together? how can you change diff gears when you can't get it back together? yeah nice going ace. so you mean to tell me you would do a performance rebuild on an engine and use the stock intake box w/ a paper filter?

just quit now...because you're not winning this.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

yup i have no idea what's going on...enlighten me on how to bring your car to jiffy lube and not have the car fall into the open pit.

you are a sorry excuse for a maxima.org member...but hey we still let you stay.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Im izz sexay

you are a sorry excuse for a maxima.org member...but hey we still let you stay.
On rainy days we need someone to laugh at.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:53 PM

lol dang you guys are cold
Old 04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Seperated at Birth?

you guys are outta your element, man. THE K&N FILTER IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, DUDE! MY CAR IS NOT WORKING HERE!

/walter silcheck

oh, and Mr. Dave... I have a K&N filter because it's the only *******ed thing that fits on the end of a 3 inch diameter pipe. I could care less about it's apparent (or lack thereof, depending in the make & model of ButtDyno (tm)) gain in power... it fits, thats what matters...

Ok, back to my car... It's pushing gas like none other (or so it seems). There are no vaccum leaks that i could find with 3 bottles of carb cleaner and there's spark in every cylinder, yet it runs like there's only 4 working.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Clean cylinder head temp sensor / did any of the plugs look wetter than the others? Might be an injector or two but you replaced them all right? Another easy one is to unscrew teh o2 sensor and clean it.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Drive that ish over, I'll fix it

Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

I call You went to bcc, Anton went to UTI.

Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 PM

Clean cylinder head temp sensor / did any of the plugs look wetter than the others? Might be an injector or two but you replaced them all right? Another easy one is to unscrew teh o2 sensor and clean it.
yeah, they've all been replaced (the injectors).

It's probably something with the intake
Old 04-27-2005, 03:13 PM

I call You went to bcc, Anton went to UTI.
went is past tense

I am currently enrolled

oh and BCC deserves caps aswell

Maybe he needs an SAFC to pull the mixture back down
Old 04-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Seperated at Birth?

this is happening when it's cold as well... so the o2 is kinda null.

where might this "cylinder temp sensor" be? my chiltons makes no note of it.

the plugs all look great, no oil buildup, no wetness
Old 04-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Actually I think he is, he's selling cars for me

If you watch the light, it will turn off when you do that, therefore it is no longer in comfort mode.

Isn't it called the 22RE? What does the 2200RE come in?

5spds have nice gearing, you should just swap
Wont find too much in the engine timing
I've run every style of intake and can tell you there is a big difference between them all. Then again I could just be talking out of my ****, it's not like I have every bolt on or anything
I didn't notice that the light goes out and drops out of comfort mod. I was just saying.. since somebody told me it won't rev past 3000 rpm in comfort mode.

Yeah you're right it is 22RE not 2200RE... thinking 2200cc displacement. '87 Toyota 4-runner. Honestly this is pretty sad that I'm being asked all these dumb questions just because I dared to challenge the fraud known as K&N.

Yeah I'd prefer 5-spd, but don't think it is worth the trouble for a car that has other issues already.

Engine timing is the most underrated power enhancer... you can gain 10-15 HP easily, or more.. REAL hp that you feel at the track, by advancing your timing and running high octance and/or booster.

You've run different types of intake.. ok, great !
Old 04-27-2005, 06:23 PM

Sorry Dave. He was just trying to stoop to your level. The only sorry thing in this thread was your explaination of the K&N. Clearly shows you don't know what you are talking about.

But you seem well versed in odometer fraud though.
What part of my explananiton of K&N was wrong ?

The fact that they cost alot more than regular filters ? The fact that there power enhancement ability is questionable at best ? Or my questioning of the filters ability to last "forever" ?

I would never do odometer fraud it's not honest.. and I have honor.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but no one makes a bolt on turbo kit for the 3rd gen maxima. Nitrous is the only real power adder avaliable and I only think of 2 guys who are, or have the ability to run it on their 3rd gens.

oh and @ the Jeff being jealous comment.
Ok, I'm surprised you can't get a turbo kit... anyways...

The thing with Maxima's is that they are quite tweaked from factory already, so you don't have the same room for improvement that you can get on some other highly-modded cars.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 PM

5 liter WHAT? i had a 5.0 caprice...was it fast? nope. oh you must be referring to the 4.9 mustang V8?

look who's the idiot that's using the switch....HINT: check the mirror.

the hp/tq just means that the way you drive you'll never really find out where it is on the maxima. not testing your google skills...defensive much?

2200 RE? wtf? is that the lawn mower? how can you not get the differential back together? how can you change diff gears when you can't get it back together? yeah nice going ace. so you mean to tell me you would do a performance rebuild on an engine and use the stock intake box w/ a paper filter?

just quit now...because you're not winning this.
Yeah 5.0 mustang ok fine 4.456 litre or whatever... maybe your caprice wasn't fast but the 14.32s time I got my stock Mustang to run is a heck of alot faster than all of the heavily modded Maximas... not to take anything away from the Maxima it is a different type of car, I really like them too.

Man honestly I just have better things to do than study my tachometer all day to see what feels like the most power while I'm trying to feel if my new k&N really has given me "20 horsepower"..

22RE I was already corrected on the engine model. The differential, perhaps you have never built one, has EXTREMELY tight tolerances, greater than any other part of the car, and without the proper tools can be very hard to re-assemble.

If I did a performance rebuild on a motor, the filter would not be my primary concern, no...
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 PM

since somebody told me it won't rev past 3000 rpm in comfort mode.
He's right, it doesn't, it switches out of comfort mode

Engine timing is the most underrated power enhancer... you can gain 10-15 HP easily, or more.. REAL hp that you feel at the track, by advancing your timing and running high octance and/or booster.
woah! so if the gains I got from advancing my timing was 10hp (I'll round down), that means the y-pipe gave me around 50hp. All in all I might be pushing 300hp
Old 04-27-2005, 07:59 PM

If I did a performance rebuild on a motor, the filter would not be my primary concern, no...
It would be one of my biggest concerns. I would protect the ever loving ish out of that motor if I put that much time into it.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:01 PM

Oh, Anton's car has a bad IACV
Old 04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Seperated at Birth?

22RE I was already corrected on the engine model. The differential, perhaps you have never built one, has EXTREMELY tight tolerances, greater than any other part of the car, and without the proper tools can be very hard to re-assemble.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH AHAHAHhAhahAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*breath*

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry son, you don't go tearing something apart not knowing what tools you need to put it back together... random guess: you didn't have a dial gauge to measure pinion & ring gear freeplay? or was it the grease you use to check the meshing pattern?

and "extremely tight tolerances"?!? No more "extreme" than crankshaft bearing clearance or camshaft endplay. OMG I CANT CHECK THOUSANDTHS OF AN INCH HOLD ME!!!1111oneone

edit: I forgot... It's actually as easy to put it back together as it is pulling it apart. There's just that little question: "Will it work without grenading?" that you have to ask yourself.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:37 PM

Did anyone suggest pulling the codes off the ECU, or did I miss it?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH AHAHAHhAhahAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

*breath*

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry son, you don't go tearing something apart not knowing what tools you need to put it back together... random guess: you didn't have a dial gauge to measure pinion & ring gear freeplay? or was it the grease you use to check the meshing pattern?

and "extremely tight tolerances"?!? No more "extreme" than crankshaft bearing clearance or camshaft endplay. OMG I CANT CHECK THOUSANDTHS OF AN INCH HOLD ME!!!1111oneone

edit: I forgot... It's actually as easy to put it back together as it is pulling it apart. There's just that little question: "Will it work without grenading?" that you have to ask yourself.
The diff was one of the first things I did with my car (any car..) and of course I didn't do enough research in advance that's why I had trouble getting it together. Yeah you're right the actual tolerances aren't any tighter than a crankshaft but with a crankshaft it is alot easier to work with .. simple bolts etc.. while differential requires heavy pressures for bearings and press fits. Plus the fact your crank is on a motor mount right there.. I did actually get it well enough to drive VERY carefully to shop... and I really don't think it's easier putting back together.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 PM

It would be one of my biggest concerns. I would protect the ever loving ish out of that motor if I put that much time into it.
But does a K&N really FILTER better than a standard air filter ???
Old 04-27-2005, 09:44 PM

woah! so if the gains I got from advancing my timing was 10hp (I'll round down), that means the y-pipe gave me around 50hp. All in all I might be pushing 300hp
Yeah.. I know.. but the switch.. and he said.. you get it.

Well I don't really know what a y-pipe may or may not give you, but advanced engine timing is the absolute chepest and under-rated performance gain that makes a very NOTICEABLE difference.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

The do flow well and filter well. And last for the life of the car. Try to disput it.

Oh and about the "HONOR" portion:

Disconnect the speedometer then you won't get as much miles and can rip off the person you sell it to
What part of my explananiton of K&N was wrong ?

The fact that they cost alot more than regular filters ? The fact that there power enhancement ability is questionable at best ? Or my questioning of the filters ability to last "forever" ?

I would never do odometer fraud it's not honest.. and I have honor.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

How did you find out?

Oh, Anton's car has a bad IACV
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 PM

How did you find out?
I went over there and used my mad skillz

plus it was idling like ****, barely running, and when you turned the motor off the IACV would just sit there and make a clicking noise. VG IACV = wierd

EDIT: IBchrismentionsIACV

Anton apparently threw away alot of my engine parts
Now I have no motor for my black car for my back up plan, nor a block to put my high compression pistons into
Old 04-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Seperated at Birth?

I went over there and used my mad skillz

plus it was idling like ****, barely running, and when you turned the motor off the IACV would just sit there and make a clicking noise. VG IACV = wierd

EDIT: IBchrismentionsIACV

Anton apparently threw away alot of my engine parts
Now I have no motor for my black car for my back up plan, nor a block to put my high compression pistons into

recycled/scrapped != tossed

edit: it only started running like **** when you walked in. my #6 cylinder is dead for some reason. I think it's akin to mtcookson's pooling
Old 04-28-2005, 08:34 AM

I actually just checked while driving and the light doesn;t go out of comfort mode.. not sure where you got that from.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:35 AM

The do flow well and filter well. And last for the life of the car. Try to disput it.

Oh and about the "HONOR" portion:
Yeah that was a joke and actually it was subtly aimed at you.... I knew that it would get you all riled up and it did.. you're a little too easy to predict.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Yeah that was a joke and actually it was subtly aimed at you.... I knew that it would get you all riled up and it did.. you're a little too easy to predict.

:back pedaling in progress:
Old 04-28-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm needing a caw

I too can predict things that happened yesterday

Quick Reply: So prevenitive maintenance screwed me over...