3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

So prevenitive maintenance screwed me over...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Seperated at Birth?

So prevenitive maintenance screwed me over...

I decided to finally change my oil and clean my K&N filter yesterday before i went to work. Well, it went all according to plan so i drove to work. I get off the freeway to exit, keep it in 4th and go through the green light off the exit, only to find no power whatsoever. Shuddering at all speeds, all RPM's. It feels like I'm running on 4-5 cylinders

The idle is rough as well, kinda *put-put-put-put*-like instead of being a sewing machine... no vacuum leaks that i can see or hear, the MAF isn't coated in filter oil... i have no clue whats goin on... any input?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
I decided to finally change my oil and clean my K&N filter yesterday before i went to work. Well, it went all according to plan so i drove to work. I get off the freeway to exit, keep it in 4th and go through the green light off the exit, only to find no power whatsoever. Shuddering at all speeds, all RPM's. It feels like I'm running on 4-5 cylinders

The idle is rough as well, kinda *put-put-put-put*-like instead of being a sewing machine... no vacuum leaks that i can see or hear, the MAF isn't coated in filter oil... i have no clue whats goin on... any input?
This happened to me today, change your MAF.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Alex_V

Ive got an extra one, pm me if interested

~Alex

Old 04-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by Studio718
This happened to me today, change your MAF.
you're telling my it dies just like that, while driving?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 04-24-2005, 10:25 PM

unplug your maf and see if it idles better

if it does your mafs bad

how do you know theres no filter oil on the maf element
Old 04-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by subs1000w
unplug your maf and see if it idles better

if it does your mafs bad

how do you know theres no filter oil on the maf element
it idles the same w/o a maf.

I know there's no oil on it because there's no oil on the inside of the tubing. no puddles, no moisture, plus, i cleaned it with some isopropyl. i also checked the filter itself and there's no oil inside it. i barely sprayed it
Old 04-25-2005, 07:00 AM

Check your spark wires, or plugs. Make sure they are conncted real good. Also check if you got any type of liquid in the distributer.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 AM

You cleaned your K&N right before work? I'm not sure how you clean it, but if you clean it using water like in the commercials, and then put it back in without drying it out some, that could be the issue...?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:25 AM

Don't go spending big bucks just yet.

The problem sounds like it has somehting to do with cleaning your K&N... (for the record K&N's are a waste of money, a clean air filter is just as good as a K&N). I'd say open up the filter box and blast everything beyond it with electrical cleaner.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Thing is they don't stay clean. And you never have to buy a new K&N. So in the long run it's cheaper.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

it idles the same w/o a maf.

I know there's no oil on it because there's no oil on the inside of the tubing. no puddles, no moisture, plus, i cleaned it with some isopropyl. i also checked the filter itself and there's no oil inside it. i barely sprayed it
if it idles the same w/o the MAF plugged in then it's your MAF.

IF your MAF was working correctly then you would find a drop in idle or at least driveability when you unplugged the MAF.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

I have an extra for sale.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don believe u can trully clean a K&N ... the solution and technique K&N makes you do seems silly and to me it looks like it just re-colors the filter
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by sleepless
I don believe u can trully clean a K&N ... the solution and technique K&N makes you do seems silly and to me it looks like it just re-colors the filter
have u seen the dirt that gets washed out of the filter? of course it won't be that nice bright red color after you recharge it...but it should still filter the air.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by sleepless
I think the years of research K&N has done probably shows that their filters do work. And, like Jeff said, you only have to buy one of them ever, unless you damage it somehow. I bought a used one years ago for my Infiniti and I swapped it into my new Infiniti. On the previous one, I saw an increase in mpg when I put the K&N on. I haven't had anything else in the new one.

Also, this thread isn't about K&N filters, it's about what Anton did to screw up his car.

Anton, you should drive over to Shawn's and borrow one of his MAF sensors (since none of his cars are on the road anyway) and see if that's your problem.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Member #2 of the none working maxima crew! hehe. Shawn needs to get his ADD in check and work on one car at a time.

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Anton, you should drive over to Shawn's and borrow one of his MAF sensors (since none of his cars are on the road anyway) and see if that's your problem.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Member #2 of the none working maxima crew! hehe. Shawn needs to get his ADD in check and work on one car at a time.
ADHD

There is a damn Honda parked infront of my house and it sure isn't mine
Old 04-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Shawn, am I or anyone else supposed to understand the meaning of what you just typed??

Originally Posted by MrGone
ADHD

There is a damn Honda parked infront of my house and it sure isn't mine
Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Shawn, am I or anyone else supposed to understand the meaning of what you just typed??
I told the retard it was the MAF before he even made the thread
Old 04-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Jest keep your hands off the black car!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay so if I'm decoding this message right (effin' harder than trying to break a "Windtalker" code):

Anton: bad maf
Anton: drives to Shawn in a Honda
Shawn: is attempting to help Anton

Rest of .org: has no idea Anton owns a Honda product.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spipedong90
Jest keep your hands off the black car!!!
Black car's waiting for you
Okay so if I'm decoding this message right (effin' harder than trying to break a "Windtalker" code):

Anton: bad maf
Anton: drives to Shawn in a Honda
Shawn: is attempting to help Anton

Rest of .org: has no idea Anton owns a Honda product.
Actually more like:
Anton tries to put his stock intake back on, missing a part, has to put the CAI back on.
Anton cleans cone filter before putting it back on.
Anton has MAF problems.
Anton calls me, tells me what happened, I told him he put on too much oil, and to clean the MAF.
Anton drives parents honda over, wont stop nagging me for my spare MAF (that I'm selling on the org), and probably hasn't even cleaned his stock MAF.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:50 PM

thats how i decoded it......oh and i got that shawn likes hondas too....
Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay so I'll quote this so you can't change it when you find out it's actually an overoiled K&N messing with the maf element.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Black car's waiting for you

Actually more like:
Anton tries to put his stock intake back on, missing a part, has to put the CAI back on.
Anton cleans cone filter before putting it back on.
Anton has MAF problems.
Anton calls me, tells me what happened, I told him he put on too much oil, and to clean the MAF.
Anton drives parents honda over, wont stop nagging me for my spare MAF (that I'm selling on the org), and probably hasn't even cleaned his stock MAF.
I HAVE A HEADACHE
Old 04-25-2005, 07:54 PM
mod or sell?

shawn only has a little ADHD, just wait till he really has to deal with it
Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 PM

I think antonthegrey gave up on you guys. =|
Old 04-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Funny, the exact same thing happened to me today. Although I'll preface this by saying the upper radiator hose cracked at the point where it meets the engine a few days before, sending coolant/water all over the engine in the northwest corner. I replaced it, then took it for a drive to an interview today (first time driven a decent distance on the highway ~30miles). At the stoplight at the exit, boom, studdering when i try to accelerate away from the light. Then it studders at idle and under acceleration all the way home.

Any vacuum hoses I should check for that I might have trashed in my installation? The engine is actually torquing itself under acceleration, I can see it move with the hood up and the engine is revved.

Anything else I should check for? It'd be an awful coincidence if the MAF blew the day after replacing the radiator hose on it.

-Jeff
Old 04-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Seperated at Birth?

update...

jeff, it's not an over-oiled maf. hell, I dont think i put enough on there to begin with...

I tried shawns extra maf, and it didn't do anything. Nothing's changed

When I did start it up to test the new maf, it smelled like shawns mustang being started up: way too much fuel being stuffed into a inferior v8 . There was no oil cloud, hell, no cloud at all. I just smelled like very unburnt gas. The problem doesn't go away when it's warm either

I'm on the verge of taking it to a shop just so i dont have to deal with it.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM

update...

jeff, it's not an over-oiled maf. hell, I dont think i put enough on there to begin with...

I tried shawns extra maf, and it didn't do anything. Nothing's changed

When I did start it up to test the new maf, it smelled like shawns mustang being started up: way too much fuel being stuffed into a inferior v8 . There was no oil cloud, hell, no cloud at all. I just smelled like very unburnt gas. The problem doesn't go away when it's warm either

I'm on the verge of taking it to a shop just so i dont have to deal with it.
Drive that ish over, I'll fix it
oh and inferior keep dreaming
Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what's up guys,
This is my first post, and i came across you thread because i was looking for information about my car. I have a 93' GXE and im having the same problems you are having. My car has a very rough idle and feels like it is going to die on me. It's very scary to drive. I went to the mechanic and they charged me a bundle to "fix" my car. They changed the battery, the MAF, the distrib.cap and rotor, and i got new sparkplugs. I get my car back and it doesn't feel any different from before, maybe 20% better. I took it back a second time and now they tell me it's my distributor """OMG""" they could have told me that before, but i decided to change it myself this time to save myself some money. I changed the dist. and now my car doesnt start!!!! i dont noe whats going on with my car. If you found the problem with your car please help! =) thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by xfawkins3xcboix
I changed the dist. and now my car doesnt start!!!! i dont noe whats going on with my car. If you found the problem with your car please help! =) thanks
Do you know what you are doing? It will make things alot easier to explain if you do.

Tell me step by step what you did when you replaced it.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:40 PM

Thing is they don't stay clean. And you never have to buy a new K&N. So in the long run it's cheaper.
A K&N with 150,000 miles even if you do clean it alot is not going to be as a good as a fresh normal filter. $10 a pop every 30,000 miles, compared to K&N.. how much.. $50 ?? So only after say 150,000 miles would the K&N 'possibly' be cheaper.. oh yeah forgot, you also have to spend another $20-30 bucks on oil cleaning kit etc... plus the labour of having to clean some nasty filter that could easily be replaced for 10 bucks...

Performance increase ?? Well if you believe you 'felt' a difference after installing those stainless steel exhaust tips.. then you'd maybe 'feel' a difference with a K&N.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:43 PM

Also, try changing your K&N witha normal air filter. Perhaps it is not breathing well.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:52 PM

Dave,

Both Jeff, Anton and myself have cone filters on our cars, not stock air box's. We cannot use a panel filter and a standard paper element cone filters are not cost efficient.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
A K&N with 150,000 miles even if you do clean it alot is not going to be as a good as a fresh normal filter. $10 a pop every 30,000 miles, compared to K&N.. how much.. $50 ?? So only after say 150,000 miles would the K&N 'possibly' be cheaper.. oh yeah forgot, you also have to spend another $20-30 bucks on oil cleaning kit etc... plus the labour of having to clean some nasty filter that could easily be replaced for 10 bucks...

Performance increase ?? Well if you believe you 'felt' a difference after installing those stainless steel exhaust tips.. then you'd maybe 'feel' a difference with a K&N.
you ride in "comfort" mode...does the word performance mean anything to you? you spend your money your way...we will spend it the way we want to.

labor of cleaning the filter? you go to jiffy lube for oil changes right?

don't speculate..if you don't know what you're talking about don't just toss in BS post.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

1) How exactly do you know the K&N isn't "as good"?? Cleaning kits are $10.
2) SS tips?? Ah no.Who gave you that idea?

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave

Old 04-27-2005, 04:40 AM

lol. every time I wash my car, it feels to go faster. And my feelings are true...

- try the swiss cheese turbo... nothin beats it!

- btw. I just bought the filter with 8$ for my friends pathfinder. And that feeling is 20% cheaper than 10$.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:08 AM

Dave,

Both Jeff, Anton and myself have cone filters on our cars, not stock air box's. We cannot use a panel filter and a standard paper element cone filters are not cost efficient.
Ohhh... I see... that's unfortunate.

Quick Reply: So prevenitive maintenance screwed me over...