3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Who's got the fastest VE 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 01:40 PM

Just curious to know who has the fastest naturally aspirated VE-powered 3rd gen Maxima in here. If it's you, please post your mods. I need more power!

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 10-09-2000, 01:41 PM

Bryan H did. He had secret sauce..
Old 10-09-2000, 01:44 PM

This guy named Martin Thompson>>>

In Kansas City .. he bought Bryan H's old max.. it was still sitting in his driveway when I drove past a couple weeks ago. Now as for the mods?.. hmm you'll have to ask bryan.. he keeps "leaking" new things from time to time.. haha.. it was a bruiser.. running 14.3NA on street tires with a 50shot of NOS to help when needed.. it was a mad ticking VTC timebomb with melted springs, blown struts bald tires, broken tranny mount and some other goodies..
Old 10-09-2000, 01:45 PM

It hasn't moved? I WANT THE CAMS! Tell him I'll trade my stock ones for his! Just tell them they're the same thing and Bryan had bad ones or something. Please please please
Old 10-09-2000, 01:47 PM
STFU n00b!

Why don't you just offer to fix the VTC tick for him and steal the cams out of it?

Bryan said he only got 5-6HP out of the cams anyway.. not worth the time and $$ he put into installing and tuning them.
Old 10-09-2000, 01:55 PM

4-6 hp is better than no horsepower. Thats like saying a intake isn't worth it Hehehehe..

*trying to justify this*

sure mikey

Originally posted by Maximamike
It hasn't moved? I WANT THE CAMS! Tell him I'll trade my stock ones for his! Just tell them they're the same thing and Bryan had bad ones or something. Please please please
ahh young one.. the car has moved.. just not sure how much. He bought it for his wife to drive to school and then she bought a pathfinder instead.. I'm not really sure why he still has the max other than he doesn't want to lose $$ on it or something.. (think about it.. busted tranny mount... we're talking the mount thats part of the tranny housing, VTC tick, the TB sticks open from time to time, there are some other issues too.. but still I dunno.. he probably just hasn't gotten around to selling it.. I suppose if I offered him $1K or so he'd take it just to be rid of the thing..)

14.3 on street tires would make me a happy man. What were his mods other than the waste-of-time/money cams!?!

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 10-09-2000, 02:29 PM

Yeah its pretty quick>>>>>

Originally posted by jdonavich
14.3 on street tires would make me a happy man. What were his mods other than the waste-of-time/money cams!?!

thanks,
Jeremy
but he also ran like a 13.9 on drag radials.. lets see mods list.. custom intake (not CAI, POP style), custom exhuast from cat-back with like 2.5" mandrel bent piping (very nice looking stuff while I was under it.. mild steel I think), straight through muffler.. nothing exotic.. just a riceboy model really. 17" mitsu elcipse rims/tires, gutted trunk, gutted cat, 300zx cams, some mild port/polish work on intake and TB, 50shot of NOS, backcut gears in tranny.. other than that not much.. boy can drive though.. powershifted like a *****..
oh and keep in mind.. his new ride.. 2K celica.. with simple TRD exhuast and Rod Millen Intake.. smallish 50shot of NOS (not anymore though.. he sold it off a few weeks ago) I saw him run one night.. first run was a 14.3... not bad from a "base" standpoint his new car is as fast as his old one.. next run 14.1.. he almost wasn't going to run again until we prodded him into it... on the 3rd run he ran a 13.8.. honest to god.. I was there to see it.. wild.. I think he ran even faster on drag radials one night like a 13.3 or something wild.. I wasn't there for that.. he he tearing **** up over at newcelica.org.. those guys can't believe he's running that fast!! hehe.. he's laying down more power with his exhaust/intake than the SCC project celica is!! seriously... I'll vouch for it all.. he's got a strong one thats for sure.. I won't speak of his next plans for the celica.. but its a little more "pressurized".. hehe
Old 10-09-2000, 02:39 PM
Tomo

Ok

Ok first put the MAF screen back on. Next get a CAI or convert yours to a CAI. soem more sugestons advance your timeing, pot pollish you intake, get a cat-back.

Old 10-09-2000, 03:21 PM

Re: Yeah its pretty quick>>>>>

Hmm...let's see:

-custom intake
-custom exhaust
-gutted trunk
-gutted converter
-ported/polished TB and intake

I wonder how much weight the gutted trunk shaved off his ET? Gutted converter sounds like crap from what I heard so I'm going to leave the RT converter alone. I have a nice exhaust setup right now so I think I'm going to leave it alone. Custom intake sounds like a lot of work but the CAI might be worth a few ponies. Porting and polishing the TB and intake sounds like the next best thing for me. I plan on having the intake, plenums, and heads extrude honed when I feel like ripping the whole engine apart. Total cost will be around $1200. Does anyone make a bigger TB for the Max that I can just bolt on? I upgraded the 48mm TB on my Corvette to a 58mm unit and it seemed to help quite a bit.

-Jeremy

Old 10-09-2000, 03:31 PM

You guys say that it is not worth it to get new cams, but combined with a reprogramed computer chip wont they help you expand your rpm power band, resulting in better top end. I can understand that they dont add that much horsepower but I cant understand how they couldn't get better performance. I'm not real sure about this guys but fill me in. This all makes since to me.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

Old 10-09-2000, 08:48 PM
STFU n00b!

Yes, you COULD expand your pwoer range, but that requires a custom ECU and hours upon hours of dyno tuning.. the came themselves and install will be $6-700.. an ECU is $550.. dyno runs are about $80 each.. you'll have to do several.. renting TIME on a dyno is a couple hundred bucks an hour..

sooo, you're looking at $1200+ for 10hp and a little broader power range..
you can stick on an ECU, full custom exhaust (including y pipe and muffler), CAI, bored TB, and a few other mods for the same price as the cams alone.. the comparison... 20+ hp for all the other ones.. 5-10 USEABLE hp for the cams.. hmmmmm, which would you choose?
Old 10-09-2000, 09:50 PM

Considering I already have most of the other work done I think that the cams should be worth it in the outcome. I'm planning on getting pistons and rods so I could do it all at once and save on the labor. I was told not to get my ECU upgraded until I had all of my mods finished. I think then there will be the big differece that no one has had yet. I think the cams wont make a huge difference by themselves but overall with other mods their sure to help. Do you agree?
Old 10-10-2000, 07:02 AM
STFU n00b!

You're also forgetting that Bryan has the VE engine, not the VG that we have. You will use different cams.. yes they'll make a difference, but don't be surprised when you dump $2000 into it and only get 8 hp. you would be better off goign turbo of big-NOS and upgrading your tranny.
Old 10-10-2000, 11:23 AM

Has anyone fabricated a turgo or supercharger for the VG's. I'm really not interested in putting an old Z engine in it. I would rather have a SC than a Turbo. I was wondering if anyone has tried the custom conversion.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-10-2000, 06:39 PM

Im working on it!!!

ok... I Ran a 15.7 on my first day out while stock and with a slipping clutch (I estimate at least .2 seconds because of the clutch) Now I have CAI, Y-pipe, RT cat, and a catback with straight through muffler. Im gonna get the ECU soon, and a UDP if there is one available for me. I dunno what power gains all that is worth, but I hope to get into the 14's on street tires, and mid 14's with slicks. what do you guys think?
Old 10-10-2000, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by chris92gxe
You guys say that it is not worth it to get new cams, but combined with a reprogramed computer chip wont they help you expand your rpm power band, resulting in better top end. I can understand that they dont add that much horsepower but I cant understand how they couldn't get better performance. I'm not real sure about this guys but fill me in. This all makes since to me.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed

You guys also forgot he used a Z32 ECU also. So the Z32 ECu and cams are what he swapped over. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that a Z32 ECU in a VE would kick ***. Not only do you get a higher rev limiter but I'm sure it has more aggressive air/fuel and timing maps. Matter of fact most of you VE guys don't even know how to advance your timing! That woudl have been one of my first mods if I had a VE to advance my timing. Especially you VE auto guys this should be your first mod! The Z32 guys have been doing this since day one.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:23 PM

Re: Im working on it!!!

Originally posted by JonnyMax
ok... I Ran a 15.7 on my first day out while stock and with a slipping clutch (I estimate at least .2 seconds because of the clutch) Now I have CAI, Y-pipe, RT cat, and a catback with straight through muffler. Im gonna get the ECU soon, and a UDP if there is one available for me. I dunno what power gains all that is worth, but I hope to get into the 14's on street tires, and mid 14's with slicks. what do you guys think?
I really doubt that your car would be into the 14's after your mods. You will probably drop 3 to 4 tenths and maybe run a 15.0. You might be able to do it though. I'm just saying this because I dont see to much difference with my mods. The thing you should do is strap on some NOS. That is the onlt mod I have had yet that will throw me back in the seat! Its worth it. You'll be in the 13's for sure then.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-11-2000, 01:49 PM

I know how to advance the timing. Do a search, I posted it like 4 months ago
Old 10-11-2000, 02:13 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

yeah me too. just havent done it yet.
Old 10-21-2000, 05:06 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

what is the difference between the VG eng and the VE

i'm lost because i hav a ve engine in my max and i would like to know what is the difference between the two,and what kind of killer mods can u perform on the VE.

Old 10-21-2000, 05:21 PM

the se produces 190 hp at the crank and the vg produces 160 at the crank. i dont really know the internals or whatever.
89-91 SE = vg
92-94 SE = ve
89-94 GXE = vg
Old 10-21-2000, 06:00 PM

Advancing the timing isn't anywhere as near as great as some of you may think. I did'nt notice a differene except for the fact that my car idles more now. It is a free mod, but dont expect any changes.

Old 10-21-2000, 06:14 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
You're also forgetting that Bryan has the VE engine, not the VG that we have. You will use different cams.. yes they'll make a difference, but don't be surprised when you dump $2000 into it and only get 8 hp. you would be better off goign turbo of big-NOS and upgrading your tranny.
Some other mods that I've done is straight pipe exhaust, and an I.C.E pack. I not only gained over 10hp from the ice pack but also increased fuel economy from 340 mptank to 370 mptank on a 5-speed. This comes out to about 23 mpg. I like the pack and it is expandable to include ecu mods because it doesn't have a rev limiter on it. A fuel pressure riser will help too, but if anyone has a Venom, it pretty much does the same thing, that's why I didn't by a Venom, waste.
Old 10-21-2000, 06:28 PM

whats an i.c.e. pack?
Old 10-21-2000, 06:42 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally posted by James92SE
whats an i.c.e. pack?
I.C.E Pack by Jacobs Electronics is an ignition system which is computer controled (3 peices) which inhances the spark to your plugs, they in turn have to be regapped at 64thousandths. The computer reads the resistance in the plug each time and compensates to deliver the best, hottest spark. Guarenteed 14 hp gain from Jacobs, I feel it but it's not been dynoed. There's no where to have it tested in my area. The best thing is that it is all bolt on. The only wire you have to run is the "remote" wire to turn it off and on. I ran my from the ignition switch for the stereo and out the rubber in the passenger door. The system has to be mounted on this side for space purposes and the puke jug moved a little.
Old 10-21-2000, 07:26 PM

14!? how much did that cost? i'd be interested in this.
Old 10-21-2000, 08:09 PM

I don't think it will work on your car....

14!? how much did that cost? i'd be interested in this.
The VE's feature a distributorless ignition call NDIS. You won't see any benefits from it since the coil and plugwire are one unit.
Old 10-22-2000, 12:00 PM

So is the system simular to a MSD ignition. I want one too, and I want to know the prices between all the manufacturers and which one is considered the best.

Old 10-22-2000, 05:08 PM

Re: Yeah its pretty quick>>>>>

Too bad Bryan's Celica is now damaged... =(
You also forget to add another mod to his list... Shaved Flywheel.

Originally posted by justinmc

thanks,
Jeremy
but he also ran like a 13.9 on drag radials.. lets see mods list.. custom intake (not CAI, POP style), custom exhuast from cat-back with like 2.5" mandrel bent piping (very nice looking stuff while I was under it.. mild steel I think), straight through muffler.. nothing exotic.. just a riceboy model really. 17" mitsu elcipse rims/tires, gutted trunk, gutted cat, 300zx cams, some mild port/polish work on intake and TB, 50shot of NOS, backcut gears in tranny.. other than that not much.. boy can drive though.. powershifted like a *****..
oh and keep in mind.. his new ride.. 2K celica.. with simple TRD exhuast and Rod Millen Intake.. smallish 50shot of NOS (not anymore though.. he sold it off a few weeks ago) I saw him run one night.. first run was a 14.3... not bad from a "base" standpoint his new car is as fast as his old one.. next run 14.1.. he almost wasn't going to run again until we prodded him into it... on the 3rd run he ran a 13.8.. honest to god.. I was there to see it.. wild.. I think he ran even faster on drag radials one night like a 13.3 or something wild.. I wasn't there for that.. he he tearing **** up over at newcelica.org.. those guys can't believe he's running that fast!! hehe.. he's laying down more power with his exhaust/intake than the SCC project celica is!! seriously... I'll vouch for it all.. he's got a strong one thats for sure.. I won't speak of his next plans for the celica.. but its a little more "pressurized".. hehe
Old 10-22-2000, 05:16 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Re: Re: Yeah its pretty quick>>>>>

Originally posted by SkyMax
Too bad Bryan's Celica is now damaged... =(
You also forget to add another mod to his list... Shaved Flywheel.

Originally posted by justinmc

thanks,
Jeremy
The ICE pack is worth it and will work on any car, but is especially designed for imports. It can be directly hooked up to the oem coil wires to the new coil but will make the check engine light come on. so, the oem coil wire runs to a "converter" then to the new coil, then to the distributer. A bit more complicated but there are no cuts and is strictly bolt on and is not peiced together like an MSD where you have to choose what you want and hope it gives you want you need. The ice pack is a complete set to order at around $340 or something, I forget. Noticed a big difference. There are advertisements in every mag for Jacobs, check it out!
Old 10-22-2000, 06:42 PM

so will the ice pack work on the ve's? nismo87 said it wouldnt anybody know otherwise?
Old 10-22-2000, 07:59 PM

i ran a 13.12 @ 106 with drag radials on the celica, my newest mod, a concrete wall
it was fun lemmie tell ya
my next car? who knows, we'll find out in a week kids

mike, the onyl way you know how to advance the timing is me telling you how too. BTW this saves some life of the VTC's

my car went 13.8 @ 101 on street tires and a 50 shot
best on motor was 14.3 @ 98 mph on street tires, with pretty much everything justin said
just a recap of how i got the 14.3 and with the mods

custom MAF plate, conical filter. removed air silencer, upgraded alternator {smooths out the hp curve on a dyno}
gutted cat. 2.5 from cat back to a opak race type muffler
lowered 2.5 in front 2.0 in rear
stock wheels on front, 17's on back, when at the track
bald street tires
ported and polished TB and port matched intake manifold. {bored to 63 mm i believe}
advanced timing 14 degrees
shaved flywheel
stock clutch
powershifting master
gutted trunk

this is all i had to run a 14.3 on bald street tires

BTW it cost me 131 for the piping. 150 for the muffler, 70 for the intake system
and the rest was free mods by me
and nissan
and lots and lots of dyno tuning with this thing

i don't remember the hp it put down, nor the torque
happy hunting maxima kids
Old 10-22-2000, 08:41 PM
Get Off My Lawn

so will the ice pack work on the ve's? nismo87 said it wouldnt anybody know otherwise?
You don't have to believe me. I put this thing on in 30min. The hardest part was running the switch for the computer module of the ICE pack from under the dash to the front of the car! Go to http://www.jacobselectronics.com to see for yourself. Get the toll free number and call tommorrow. If you decide to buy it, tell them to keep the free gift (shirt, spark plug capper, or battery isolator) and give you a better price! $370.94 was what I paid. If nothing else, better response and increased gas mileage is a plus, I gained at least 30 miles per tank.
Old 10-23-2000, 09:45 AM

Hey Bry, you did tell me. Like 6 months ago