3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

odometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:27 PM

odometer issue

I don't know what the meter next to the odometer is called, it's the one that you can reset though. Anyway, I've had problems with it ever since I got the car. It was always a pain in the *** to reset. It felt as though something was blocking it and you had to press it hard to reset it. Then one day it would not reset no matter how hard you pressed it. Well, me being the smart guy that I am, I placed the bottom of a cup I had on it to press it down, hoping it would reset. Well, I pressed a little harder than it wanted to go and now I've broken it even more. There is almost no resistence when you press the reset switch now. So I'm sure I busted a cog or snapped something. My question is, how do I go about repairing it? is it relativly simple and quick? how much and where could I find a new one? and how do I access the thing?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 09:38 PM

It's called the trip odometer. I understand it to be a part of the rest of the odometer system and it probably isn't fixable. The easiest thing might be to swap in another odometer or maybe even a whole gauge cluster from a junked Max. It would be an inconvienience for me if it broke, but I'd probably just let it be, you don't have too many options.

Sorry if I disapoointed you, maybe someone else has a better idea?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had that same problem in my car, it would never reset to zero. the second digit would not reset. For example if it was at 265, and I reset it, it would go to 60.

I just bought a used instrument cluster, and swapped my odometer (the one that reads the mileage of the car) into the new cluster.

You can swap in a new trip odometer, or swap your odometer into another cluster (like I did).
Old 05-11-2005, 12:43 AM

cool. What is a good price for a gauge cluster? and how do you get it out? I'm not all that concerned about it. It's not crucial to the longevity of the max, as far as I can see, but it would be nice to have working.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
.... but it would be nice to have working.
If its broken, why not DIY and repair it? If u fail, at least u can then teach us. Most probably squirt of lithium grease spray will get it working, thats my experience on those mech rollers. Here its the main national car-sports to change odo reading before selling [not the trip, btw]... with a toothpick
Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 AM

There is no repairing the odometer/trip odometer assembly.....There is a small plastic piece in there that is broken (part of the reset assembly). All you have to do is get a used Maxima (or Stanza) odometer and swap it over. Matching your current mileage is very easy, just separate all of the wheels, rotate them to match, then push them together.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:39 AM

yeap, I agree, as for me, I did not purchase a whole new trip odomter, I simply disengage the broken side, and lived with it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by LQ91SE
There is no repairing the odometer....
Lots of lol
Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 AM

the odometer seems to be working fine and displaying accurately. It's just the trip odometer that is busted. So what do I have to do to access it? is it just a few screws? do I have to take the steering wheel off?

thank you for your replies.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
...is it just a few screws? ...
It is. Eating cake is more difficult to master...

The whole gauge assy is very simple to take out, steering wheel is not taken off. The panel around first, then the assy. I dont remember, maybe the startup is from the panel around the stick, lift it up first, then few screws for the panel around radio and so on.

Take the assy off on a table, take 'glass' off. The gauge is attached to the assy with two screws, take them off. For detail info get the FSM or online manual (see Links on my page1)

Now carefully study the trip mech. Either spray (careful) or spray to a small cup corner and insert with a toothpick lubricant to the button mech and to all 'bearings'. This will not hurt... If smtg is already broken (possibly) then its gonna take determination to fashion the plastics with a soldering iron tip (only electronics solder, radio shack small one. Dont ever use the funny loop sewer heater... u'll hurt u hand.) Later the solder tip is easily cleaned to papertowel.

As teenager my job was to work on speedo, rpm, temp, oil, pneumatics whatever etc gauges; repair em. Before that job I could not do any thing with my hands. So if I cando and start from total zero and makedo success, so can you. Those who say that u cannot, really cannot emselves... DIY, and dont be a girlie man! If u fail this time, so what. Anyways u gonna get one gauge assy from junkyard.

If u got camera, get pics and show off...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 AM

Btw. Does anybody know a place to get these with km/h ?

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744776/5
Old 05-12-2005, 08:08 AM

My trip odometer is beginning to act up as well - i havent had any problems resetting it (yet) but i notice that it gets stuck every now and then for a mile or 2 and then it will begin moving again....

Thankfully this had not happened to my regular odometer...and im hoping that it wont...that would really suck!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Mine resets to either 4 or 7 miles everytime.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:28 AM

Since we are on the topic of odometers, I've got one for you guys. I have a 1990 GXE, and my odometers doesnt really work. It will work sometimes when I drive in the city, but not on the highway. I guess it has somethng to do with either the speed or time the car had been running. when I was driving to philadelphia (about 1300 miles from oklahoma), the odometer registered a grand total of 150 miles, round trip. I think its my trip odometer that isnt working and that is somehow messing the main odometer up. Any idea's guys?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:13 PM

Common problem on these. I've had 4 ....all the same.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:44 PM

dtahsee, I advise you to take your gauge cluster out, and then remove the odometer. Once the unit is removed, you will see two counting units, look behind the one near the resetting pin, there is a small black gear driving it, just stick a flathead screw driver in there, and move it off so that it is no longer engaged with the blue gear. After you have done that, put the gauge cluster back, but don't reassemble everything yet, and go for a drive for a mile or two to see if it works.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks disgruntled. I cant do anything on it now, since I will probably be moving in a couple of days. Will try that as soon as I get the time. Is this a hard job? Any good write ups on removing the gauge cluster. I have a Haynes manual but I dont think it will be of much use. Thanks again dude.