3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Antenna rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 07:46 AM
Jedi Knight

I went to matt93GXE's page and got the faq about rebuilding your antenna...my question is do I need to purchase that mast thing...the motor works, but the antenna doesn't go up and down (without help from me)...so do I need to buy that mast thingy? thanx
Old 05-14-2001, 07:07 PM

Not necessarily --->

If you take the mast out, and you find that the tail is still appended and intact, and the mast will extend / collapse freely, it's ok to re-use the mast.

Mine was actually bent, and by having the mast out I was able to straighten it back to full functionality.

I found that once I took the mast out, I could not re-load it back in, The cause was the same as the mast not freely rising and retracting: The grease in the tail coil area (I am not sure how to descibe that round storage area) was totally dried out and actually caused a lot of friction rather than lubrication.

The antenna fully disassembles, you can clean and re-grease EVERY moving part. Be careful NOT to get grease on the outside of the first segment (the one that stays inside the motor) as it will act like an insulator to the antenna signals. Happened to me: Perfectly moving antenna that gave no signal to the radio.

Good luck,
John
Old 05-16-2001, 02:31 PM

Mine Too...

My Antenna just stopped working too. What's the address to the webpage that you said had a faq about rebuilding the Antenna.

My motor works, but no uppy downy.

newmax

Originally posted by nupe500
I went to matt93GXE's page and got the faq about rebuilding your antenna...my question is do I need to purchase that mast thing...the motor works, but the antenna doesn't go up and down (without help from me)...so do I need to buy that mast thingy? thanx
Old 05-16-2001, 03:26 PM

$%^&ing antenna

can someone please give me some instruction on how to remove the power antenna. Thanks
Old 05-16-2001, 03:39 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by nupe500
hey nupe....

your in south jersey right? are you planning to go to the northeast meet on the 3rd? if so email me....you can join our caravan up if you like
Old 05-18-2001, 11:16 AM

Re: $%^&ing antenna

I replaced mine in about ten minutes the other day. If your motor is working, it's a snap. My old antenna was broken by the previous owner and never replaced. They had removed the plastic pinion-type insert(looks like a zip strip for toy cars and motorcycles) and were using the antenna as stationary. On the bezel where the antenna protrudes through the back fender there is a chrome ring with two slot in it 180 degrees apart. That is actually the escutcheon that keeps your antenna from coming all the way out when it starts to raise. Using some pliers (I used channellocks and a rag to keep from scoring the ring, but I'm sure Nissan would be glad to sell you a $100 specialty tool to do the same thing) unscrew that ring. Remember my antenna was still in the assembly so I was able to grab it and pull it out. If yours is broken or if it just isn't moving up and down even when you hear the motor running, the plastic "cable" inside could be stripped or broken. Once you remove that ring, you can get hold of the antenna or use a pair of pliers and remove the base section of the antenna from the assembly. If you try to pull and it doesn't move, have someone turn on the radio in the car. The motor will try to raise the antenna and it should come out. When you get the base section removed and you have the mew mast, all you have to do is slide the chrome ring onto the new antenna, insert the new antenna cable donw into the motor until it stops, then while you are holding the cable in place have someone trun the radio off. The motor should pull the antenna all the way down until it senses the resistance and then shut off. One thing that hapened to me was a couple of pieces of the old cable were still in the reel and when the antenna got down about half way it would bind. The motor thought the antenna was all the way down and it would stop. I had to remove the assembly from inside the fender and disassemble the reel to get the old pieces. Email me back if (reply to the group as well for their benefit) you have any questions.
Kenneth
Old 05-18-2001, 12:52 PM
Jedi Knight

in fixing my antenna....I saw that the plastic zip like thing was broken, so What I did was melt the two pieces together and sanded them down, and VIOLA...my antenna is as good as NEW....the rebuild was a snap

Chris...where is the NE meet, I got another buddy that just purchased a 93 SE so we could make a nice trip out of it.....let me know either through here or via email...

HOLLA
Old 05-18-2001, 07:27 PM

Found the problem....

I took the assembly out and then took it apart. I found the white plastic zip-one dealy. It was unattached from the mast.

How does it attach to the mast? Should I replace the whole mast, whole assembly, the zip line?

I'm way confused about which peice to replace. I know the mast goes up and down freely when I pull and push it...I mean it's not stuck or anything. The motor works great, but the zipline deal is not attached to the mast anymore.

Ideas?

Matt
Old 05-18-2001, 07:32 PM

Re: Found the problem....

To fix your problem, the easiest thing to do is to get another mast from Nissan. They cost under $40 bucks.

I also disassembled mine, and found the mast, nylon gear rope, and the entire mechanism to be in good condition.

I think my problem is the motor. It only spins for 2 seconds. I never heard of the motor going out on these antennas, but I may be one of the few
Old 05-18-2001, 07:52 PM

no uppy downy

no uppy downy makes jac a dull boy etc..,etc...
Old 05-18-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Found the problem....

So, what does the mast unit from Nissan come with? A new mast and a new zip cord deal? I guess that's what I need.

Matt

Originally posted by superdesi
To fix your problem, the easiest thing to do is to get another mast from Nissan. They cost under $40 bucks.

I also disassembled mine, and found the mast, nylon gear rope, and the entire mechanism to be in good condition.

I think my problem is the motor. It only spins for 2 seconds. I never heard of the motor going out on these antennas, but I may be one of the few
Old 05-19-2001, 11:54 PM

GOT IT!

Yeah, got my Antenna fixed. Took the assembly out and apart, cleaned it and put a new mast in. nice.

thanks for the help!!

newmax
Old 06-17-2002, 10:00 AM
jreddington

Getting that escutcheon off is what I found tough. Something that I found works well when removing the escutcheon is a snap-ring plier. Sears has them for about $20 and its handy for other things (like snap rings ).

I used the straight nibs with one in each of the holes. Just be careful. If the pins pop out while you're putting some torque on it you are guaranteed to make major scratches

Old 06-17-2002, 10:30 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by jreddington
Getting that escutcheon off is what I found tough. Something that I found works well when removing the escutcheon is a snap-ring plier. Sears has them for about $20 and its handy for other things (like snap rings ).

I used the straight nibs with one in each of the holes. Just be careful. If the pins pop out while you're putting some torque on it you are guaranteed to make major scratches
Uh....did you not happen to notice the dates on the previous posts....well over a year Old...TOO late NEWBIE!.....
Old 06-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

damn..some serious archiving
Old 06-17-2002, 10:49 AM
jreddington

Hey, if I'm researching and looking at this now someone else may be so it doesn't hurt to put it in the database.

Old 06-17-2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE

hey nupe....

your in south jersey right? are you planning to go to the northeast meet on the 3rd? if so email me....you can join our caravan up if you like

South NJ Huh. Me too. Ever race at ATCO? I live like 20 min from that strip.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:03 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by male

South NJ Huh. Me too. Ever race at ATCO? I live like 20 min from that strip.
yah where are you at? i'm always at the track...

click the link in my sig. there are quite a few of us in the area
Old 06-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Antenna

I did the mast thing it lasted about a year big waste of bucks. I bought a hirschman replacement on ebay for 50 bucks. Hirschman made the originals for nissan. Works for me