3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Robbed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:01 AM

Robbed...

Over late Sat, early Sun morning someone unsuccessfully tried to steal my radio...and completely destroyed it in the process, along with the front panel below my dashboard!!! (f'n crackheads!)
Not only that, but they managed to take my amp and get this: THEY TOOK MY CAR JACK!!!! Yep, the little rinky-dink one along with the lil tire iron that comes with the 91 maximas.....but yet they left my entire book of CD's that were sitting in plain view on the backseat....thats why i've come to the conclusion that whoever did it is either a crackhead or a basehead, i mean come on now - they stole my carjack lol...

Guess Ill be looking in the classifieds for a new piece to my dashboard (not the dashboard per se, but the trim (panel) that goes around the radio and around the temperature lever, etc... Also for a new carjack and tire iron for the 91's

If anyone happens to know a place where I can get these parts please let me know!!!! I need them ASAP!

Also, does anyone have an estimate on how much a decent alarm system would cost to put in? Thanks...
Old 05-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

alarm....DEI/Viper figure about $250-$300.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 AM

pm alex_V i think hes got all those dash peices for you.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
pm alex_V i think hes got all those dash peices for you.
Thanks, I definitely will!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Question:
What do you feel caused these knucks to be enticed ? Was there an unremoved faceplate ? Double DIN radio install ? Something that may have looked "showy/flashy" ?

Is there anything that *we* could learn/avoid from this, or do you feel that just the fact that it was a maxima ?

- Jim
Old 05-16-2005, 10:34 AM

That's ridiculous. I'm sorry for all that. I had some theifs saw off my OBX soon after I bought my car and so I definitly needed to get an alarm as well. I'm sorry for all that though......it sucks
Old 05-16-2005, 12:02 PM

lmao... i replaced my dinky jack with a 2T bottle jack from wall mart, but no one tried to steal it. hmm..
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_1990SE
Question:
What do you feel caused these knucks to be enticed ? Was there an unremoved faceplate ? Double DIN radio install ? Something that may have looked "showy/flashy" ?

Is there anything that *we* could learn/avoid from this, or do you feel that just the fact that it was a maxima ?

- Jim
Well, I'm really not too sure -my car isnt flashy at all...I dont have any major mods or anything like that...just looks like your typical 14 yr old used max. I'm not into "bumping" my system all loud and stuff, so its not like they HEARD me driving down the street and figured "hey let me steal that system"...cause like I said, I don't do that. I didnt buy my stereo or the amp that was in it, it came with the car from the previous owner, so I'm not sure that it would even be considered a nice or "flashy'' system, but it definitely was not stock, therefore it probably is worth something to someone.

It is partially my fault tho because for one, I live in a decent area, not rich and snobby, but definitely not the ghetto either - so that was my first mistake was the typical assumation that "it wont happen to me". A few of you might remember that just last week I posted about my locks being screwy on my driver side door.....well because of that, I had gotten lazy about making sure my doors were locked. So that was probably my BIGGEST mistake, that I didn't lock my doors.

Not to mention...and it may be equivalent to the dumbness (if not even dumber) of leaving my door unlocked - I did in fact leave the face on the radio. So there you have it, I'm just an a$$hole and pretty much was begging someone to steal my shyt.

So just like that age old saying goes: Don't assume, it makes an A$$ out of U and ME! Point proven....and yes, I've been kickin myself in the a$$ for the last 2 days because of this situation. - I just wonder if it happened because I made it easy for them by leaving the doors unlocked, or if I saved myself even more money because then if i locked them they would have smashed my windows or torn my locks apart or what not. I have no idea if this was pre-planned and they were like stalking my car...or if it was just random cause i left the doors unlocked and made for an easy target. "the world may never know"
Old 05-16-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Maxzilla91
lmao... i replaced my dinky jack with a 2T bottle jack from wall mart, but no one tried to steal it. hmm..
lol i know...thats the strangest part of this situation, cause its not like they can get much cash for that lil car jack lol....at least there was little humor to this whole dilemma.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Im pretty sure it was the leaving the doors unlocked. People, if you can call them that, will go down the block testing doors until they find an unlocked one and just take what they can get. I had it happen to my 19 year old Nissan 200SX! It sux but thats the world we live in. I live in a "nastier" area of Long Island, and know some people that do not such good things, and was told that they go to the "nicer" areas to test peoples locks. I think your situation is a prime example of this.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah if it was a planned action alot more of your stuff would probably be missing. Somone probably just saw your car unlocked and decided to come back a little later with no real plan per say in mind. Because it wouldnt be that hard to search the internet on how to get out your radio. It takes like 5 minutes tops to get it out.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by mtnbikeair
Yeah if it was a planned action alot more of your stuff would probably be missing. Somone probably just saw your car unlocked and decided to come back a little later with no real plan per say in mind. Because it wouldnt be that hard to search the internet on how to get out your radio. It takes like 5 minutes tops to get it out.
Well....they didnt get my radio out - just completely destroyed it trying to do so....and yea that makes them COMPLETE RETARDS because they had a screwdriver and where they torn everything off, you can clearly see the bolts that hold the radio in place! All they had to do was take that screwdriver to those bolts....but hey, f'n base/crackheads dont think...
So basically they tore apart my front panel and some of the bolts to that, but left the bolts that actually bolt my radio in place and tried to rip my radio out from the front to no avail...it would make me laugh, but at the moment i have no radio and driving in my car in complete silence really sux, so its not funny....it will be soon tho
Old 05-17-2005, 07:15 AM
mod or sell?

CUT off yer muffler and the silence will end
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM

I laugh at people who install alarms where I live..we purposely set them off so they get a $50 noise pollution ticket stuck to their window and eventually stop using it, or have to sell the alarm to pay for the tickets..

As for getting your car broken into, that sucks, but, if they really want in, they'll smash a window in and take what they want. Atleast they just opened your door and tore things up rather than leave you with a $100+ broken window AND a broken radio..as for them stealing your amp, why don't you set the little lever in the trunk latch so that you have to open the trunk with the key? they could always punch out the lock, but if they couldn't manage to get your headunit out, the odds are good they didn't have the knowhow to punch a lock...
Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Golden Ice: there is balance in life. If you have brains, you will understand.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM

They probably took the jack to take the wheels off another car, just my thoughts. About 8 years ago I had a buddy that had gotten broken into - they robbed him blind and took his maglight, which they used to shine in and break into 3 other cars that night, mine included.
There are all kinds of things you can do to deter people from breaking into it, but there's little you can do to stop a crackhead! In my opinion, the best thing you can do is when you install something in your car, build/install it like it's part of the car. Use allen head or torx screws when they are exposed, and bolt in anything that doesn't ever need to be removed. When I see people just put in radios that aren't secured or just have speakers/amps sitting in their trunk, they are just asking to have it taken. Most crackheads don't walk around with a tool box (and if you have one in your trunk, put a lock on it!), so if they really want to steal your stuff, make them work hard for it at least!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
I laugh at people who install alarms where I live..we purposely set them off so they get a $50 noise pollution ticket stuck to their window and eventually stop using it, or have to sell the alarm to pay for the tickets..
Sounds like you're a really great person to know, Golden and an incredible ASSet to your community....wish I lived there!

....(not)
Old 05-18-2005, 10:40 AM

see, alarms here are useless...if you lock your doors, an alarm wont help you. Cars DO NOT get stolen here. period. It does not happen. If you lock it, and they still want in, they'll break the window, grab a handfull of whatever they can get, and leave your alarm going off to wake everybody up in a 5 block radius. Sure, now YOU know your window just got broken, but all your neighbors want to break you and the rest of your windows for waking them up. If you DON'T use your alarm, people will feel somwhat sorry for you, and do what they can to help you find anything the thieves discarded, and some will help you seal up your broken window and reccomend a good body shop to replace the glass.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
see, alarms here are useless...if you lock your doors, an alarm wont help you. Cars DO NOT get stolen here. period. It does not happen. If you lock it, and they still want in, they'll break the window, grab a handfull of whatever they can get, and leave your alarm going off to wake everybody up in a 5 block radius. Sure, now YOU know your window just got broken, but all your neighbors want to break you and the rest of your windows for waking them up. If you DON'T use your alarm, people will feel somwhat sorry for you, and do what they can to help you find anything the thieves discarded, and some will help you seal up your broken window and reccomend a good body shop to replace the glass.
I'm sure that's EXACTLY how **** works, it's almost like you're doing them a favor! but hey, it makes it look ok to set off alarms and make people pay for your being an ***, so believe what you want.

PS if you have a dictionary, look up karma.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:26 AM

karma = a myth. god = a myth. .org = not the place to discuss it. Yes i'm an ***, because I USED to have a room on the second floor of the house with 10 windows (3 on each end, and 4 along the eastern wall) and I tended to get ~5 hours of sleep per night because 4 cars in the neigborhood with alarms would go off every time anyone hit a pothole within 10 ft of it, had even slightly loud exhaust, or a somwhat loud system. When the alarm law was put into place, the use of car alarms here was cut in half, and I could actually sleep. A guy with a '99 mustang lived across the street from us, and he worked nights. His alarm had a proximity sensor that would set it off any time anyone drove down the street. He would get home from work at midnight, and when the 3 am factory shift would drive to/from work, it would set his alarm off, just enough to wake me up. I started setting his alarm off about 7:30 am when I was leaving for school to make sure I woke him up. He stopped using it. Since then, if I KNOW somone has an alarm thats got a proximity sensor OR is just very sensitive to sound, I'll drop my truck down a gear when I go past it, and set it off. If they're smart, they've installed an alarm that'll shut itself off and rearm itself within a minute or so, and they don't get a ticket. If it keeps going off for the 5+ minutes it takes to get a ticket, the person DESERVES it for using a cheap pos alarm and not getting out there to turn it off.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM

golden ice, dude go away and take your lame stories with you.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:18 AM

seriously golden, stop trying to justify the fact that you act like a 12yr old punk kid who doesnt have the ***** to actually commit a crime, but just goes around setting other peoples cars alarms off because u have nothing better to do. Thats pretty pathetic.
Ya, it sucks if they keep you up at night, but u said it your self that your state passed a law and the alarms have since ceased so wtf is the point of STILL setting peoples alarms off?
Not to mention that its probably a nuisance even for the OWNERS of the car alarms because they can hear it too...and even worse, theyre the ones who have to keep gettin up to shut it off cause your azz keeps setting them off for no particular reason
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM

I spent about 10 minutes debating whether or not to even post in this thread again, and decided I would post in it one last time to clear up two things.

#1: Its a city ordinance, not a state law. I don't want to confuse any other Missouri residents.

#2: I'm far from the only one that sets alarms off on purpose. There's a minimum of 150 people that set them off, since most of my graduating class did it for fun on a regular basis. I'd also like to point out that I personally wouldn't set an alarm off (on purpose anyway, my truck will set some off whether I want it to or not) past 7 or 8 pm, when people start trying to settle down.

There's no reason to continue flaming me in this thread, because I'm not going to bother reading it again. I mostly wanted to point out the alarm law being a city ordinance, and not a state law. Alarm use is somthing most people on the org and I will have to agree to disagree on.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let's see, My max has been broken into 3 times. The first time the crack heads pried the passenger's side door so hard that they broke it. I had to replace the entire door assembly because it was so bad. They also pried the driver's side door too. They finally got in and tore up my dash. Stole nothing. The second time, The door was actually unlocked (forgot to lock it) And the crackheads took my 5 year old alpine that skipped over every bump. But the worse thing is that they messed up my entire dash. So I replace it. The third time, they tore up my dash again and grabbed the faceplate for my cheapo pioneer cassette player. ($60 for the whole radio) So I'm on my 3rd dash setup and I still need to go to the junkyard and get a few odds and ends to get it complete. That combined with the bad parking lot hit and runs and my car has seen a tough life.