3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Hazard light button 1991 SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 01:25 PM

Hazard light button 1991 SE

hi all....i own a 91 SE (blah blah blah)

anyway... I just want to know how simple/hard it is to put in a new hazard light button. I got robbed over the weekend (see post: robbed...) and while they were busy TRYING to get my stereo, they broke my dam front panel including my hazard light switch and now my blinkers wont work.

I got the parts for it today, but I just need instructions and if its hard/simple to do myself. Thanks! :-)
Old 05-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Once you have the panel push the hazard switch through the front of panel. then find the switch that connects to it. Also if you have auto ac make sure you connect that hose to the left side of the panel. It affects the operation of the auto ac
Old 05-16-2005, 08:26 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by LMaRiE91MaXiMa
hi all....i own a 91 SE (blah blah blah)

anyway... I just want to know how simple/hard it is to put in a new hazard light button. I got robbed over the weekend (see post: robbed...) and while they were busy TRYING to get my stereo, they broke my dam front panel including my hazard light switch and now my blinkers wont work.

I got the parts for it today, but I just need instructions and if its hard/simple to do myself. Thanks! :-)
people get robbed in conneticut?
sorry to hear

anyway, get an FSM for $55 off ebay. will make ur life alot easier
Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 PM

If you have put a radio in before you should be able to do it. If not I had a 89 that was held in with screws and my 92(this is my second 92) same color and everything like deja vu. It just snapped in and out. It was fairly simple to me
Old 05-17-2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
people get robbed in conneticut?
sorry to hear

anyway, get an FSM for $55 off ebay. will make ur life alot easier
This may be a dumb ? but im gonna ask anyway: what's an FSM?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by rawmax1
If you have put a radio in before you should be able to do it. If not I had a 89 that was held in with screws and my 92(this is my second 92) same color and everything like deja vu. It just snapped in and out. It was fairly simple to me
I never put in the radio...bought the car like that from the previous owner who installed it.
My boyfriend got another switch from a junkyard (im not sure if i needed it or not...havent tried connecting either yet) so basically, all i should have to do is just plug that sucker in?!? The people at the boneyard also said that I MIGHT have to change a fuse...but if everything else seems to be working properly (besides the blinkers themselves) i should be ok right? (not that im worried about changing a lil ol fuse anyway lol)
Old 05-17-2005, 06:49 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

FSM stands for Factory service manual

{its what service shops refer to when they fix our cars}
Old 05-17-2005, 06:50 AM

This may be a dumb ? but im gonna ask anyway: what's an FSM?
FSM = Factory Service Manual.

Ive got one for free if you need one.

edit : too slow....
Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by rawmax1
Once you have the panel push the hazard switch through the front of panel. then find the switch that connects to it. Also if you have auto ac make sure you connect that hose to the left side of the panel. It affects the operation of the auto ac
I do have the auto AC...but what hose are you talking about? They didnt rip apart any of the temp controls or AC switch (Thank God) - just the paneling that goes all around that stuff and the hazard light....i havent seen a lose hose or anything like that...and my fan still seems to work, but come to think of it I haven't tried the AC yet and now you're scaring me!!! lol
Ill check after work today...but I think (at least I HOPE) my AC is fine...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
FSM = Factory Service Manual.

Ive got one for free if you need one.

edit : too slow....
O hehe I knew that was a dumb question...and apparently im even stupider because I have the original one that came with my car and I didnt even think to look in there... DOH!

Anyway...sorry bout that - I just been stressin over this for the past few days and my mind is fried...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:52 AM

i think he meant ACC as in auto climate control, you have an SE so you dont have that you have manual climate control.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
i think he meant ACC as in auto climate control, you have an SE so you dont have that you have manual climate control.
O ok, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Yes i did mean to say ACC. I'm sorry I never owned a real DOHC SE (can't never seem to find one at a good price )so I usually settle for the GXE
Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM

her SE is still the VG engine with the SOHC. 89-91 SE 89-94 GXE same engine
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 PM

I do have the auto AC...but what hose are you talking about? They didnt rip apart any of the temp controls or AC switch (Thank God) - just the paneling that goes all around that stuff and the hazard light....i havent seen a lose hose or anything like that...and my fan still seems to work, but come to think of it I haven't tried the AC yet and now you're scaring me!!! lol
Ill check after work today...but I think (at least I HOPE) my AC is fine...
I have a few Hazard switches kicking around if you need one, as well as a few climate control units in case your display goes.

The hose is part of the climate control system. Look at the left side of the middle bezel. You will see three small vents. The hose is behind those vents!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM

I know I had a 90 se, but i didn't consider it a real SE because it didn't have the DOHC like a 92-94. And I don't remember a hose being on there like my 92 gxe with acc.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:34 PM
I miss my VE

O hehe I knew that was a dumb question...and apparently im even stupider because I have the original one that came with my car and I didnt even think to look in there... DOH!

Anyway...sorry bout that - I just been stressin over this for the past few days and my mind is fried...
are you sure its the Factory Service Manual(huge book), and not the Owners Manual?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
are you sure its the Factory Service Manual(huge book), and not the Owners Manual?
O...didnt know there was a difference - See, I usually forewarn everyone on my posts that I dont know shyt when it comes to cars, let alone repairing cars...guess I really should have this time cause I just keep making myself look dumber and dumber lol

So yes, I only have the owners manual then and not the FSM.

Anyway, thanks for all your input everyone, but I got the switch and popped it on and now my blinkers/hazards are working again....
Now i just gotta worry about the $600 (give or take) for a new system and alarm....ugh
Old 05-18-2005, 12:11 PM
I miss my VE

O...didnt know there was a difference - See, I usually forewarn everyone on my posts that I dont know shyt when it comes to cars, let alone repairing cars...guess I really should have this time cause I just keep making myself look dumber and dumber lol

So yes, I only have the owners manual then and not the FSM.

Anyway, thanks for all your input everyone, but I got the switch and popped it on and now my blinkers/hazards are working again....
Now i just gotta worry about the $600 (give or take) for a new system and alarm....ugh
yeah, well u really should get it. ebay - $55(copy).. if ur planning on being a DIYer, then its your most valueble object. and the org of course. if u get lucky u may even find the original one all dirty and oily for very cheap. but those are rare. will save you alot of trouble, and simple question asking just by looking it up in the book..
Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Dude, I've got NOS!!!1!!1!1one

I'm in desperate need for FSM. edit: Is ebay the best place to find one for cheap?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by joe94gxe
I'm in desperate need for FSM. edit: Is ebay the best place to find one for cheap?
for cheap yes.. but ull have to get lucky. most of the FSM's on sale at ebay are copies of the original ones u could buy at the dealer back in 90's. these copies are huge $55 books. i wouldnt really call it cheap, but its worth it. at the dealer they were a 100 bucks. when i said u'll need to get lucky, is once in awhile an old oily used up original FSM pops up for about $10-15. now thats a bargain
Old 05-21-2005, 04:34 AM

Guess I'm going to have to start watching eBay.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just totaled my 90 SE, I have both the interior trim piece and a service manual if you are interested in either.