3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

AC Compressor and Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 PM

AC Compressor and Clutch

I bought a new AC Compressor and Clutch today remanned from Checkers, my initial intentions were to have my dad install them, but god knows when he'll even have time. So I decided to buy a Chiltons FSM. First of all, these manuals confused the hell out of me, there was one for 1985-92 (ME!!), and 1993-98 (i have a 94 VE but I dont think that matters). I bought both just to be safe, and I'll probably return the 1993-98 now that I know it mentions the VE that my car came with. Anyways, my question is, does this FSM even mention how to replace the AC Compressor and Clutch (also bought drier and something else). If not, how can I go about replacing it, because it's going to kill me if I don't get this in within a weeks time of the purchase. My A/C is blowing cold now, but it's making a terrible whining noise.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
I bought a new AC Compressor and Clutch today remanned from Checkers, my initial intentions were to have my dad install them, but god knows when he'll even have time. So I decided to buy a Chiltons FSM. First of all, these manuals confused the hell out of me, there was one for 1985-92 (ME!!), and 1993-98 (i have a 94 VE but I dont think that matters). I bought both just to be safe, and I'll probably return the 1993-98 now that I know it mentions the VE that my car came with. Anyways, my question is, does this FSM even mention how to replace the AC Compressor and Clutch (also bought drier and something else). If not, how can I go about replacing it, because it's going to kill me if I don't get this in within a weeks time of the purchase. My A/C is blowing cold now, but it's making a terrible whining noise.
You should find the information you're looking for in that book. Replacing those components is fairly straightforward. The servicing of the system seems to be what stumps some people. There's a good reason for that: if you want it done correctly, you need an a/c machine. (That's not to say it can't be done without one, but you may regret it down the road.) Anyway, my advice would be to follow replacement instructions of the compressor, clutch, drier, and what not; button it up(don't leave the system open); then have it professionally serviced. You save yourself money and should have a system with more longevity. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

[QUOTE=nelledge]You should find the information you're looking for in that book.

I have a 1993-1998 repair manual by Chilton but it refuses to give any in repair information in the A/C section, due to legal responsibilities and possible personal injuries. Do you know any manual out there that could help me with changing my AC compressor, because I don't want to injure myself. Like you said it looks easy, but that high pressure line kind of scares me. I suspect no pressure however, because of a leak in the system, but I just want to make sure I follow the appropiate steps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Jonathan
Old 05-22-2005, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=JMRAINS]
Originally Posted by nelledge
You should find the information you're looking for in that book.
Originally Posted by nelledge

I have a 1993-1998 repair manual by Chilton but it refuses to give any in repair information in the A/C section, due to ....
...due to the manUal is pure crap [manUre?].

For more info see THE links on page1 ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Old 05-22-2005, 11:46 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

The Chilton repair manual has absolutely no information on replacing compressor or clutch?!? That is absurd. Yet another reason to pony up for a FSM.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:45 PM

92SE use R12, not the more user friendly 134a. I suggest you to take it to an AC shop.