3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fusible Link Wire ??? - VGE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:00 AM

Fusible Link Wire ??? - VGE

Who knows what the VGE batt wire 2-3 function is? Its called Fusible Link Wire (GY). Goes to fusebox fuse4 beside batt.

If it was for these Nissan schemaTics, I would dump all confuzeans to the sea...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/5
Old 05-19-2005, 09:51 AM

If you dont know, than who would???
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
If you dont know, than who would???
Smbdy whose knuckles are bloody. I am just a window shopper...

Actually, I just found my prize. Its maybe some kind of current limiter as battery is about dead and alt is pushing all it can:

Old 05-19-2005, 10:43 AM

I thought a fusible link was like an inline fuse. A wire that pops at a certain amperage, but I'm most probably worng.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by greggie195
I thought a fusible link was like an inline fuse. A wire that pops at a certain amperage, but I'm most probably worng.
Not fusible link.

The exact name in the confuzean FSM: Fusible Link Wire (GY)

Seems to have heat resist harness. I figure it possibly goes hot (=resistance increases) if too much current flows through. Shields alt. But if its rotten, never get full batt, at least connectors can collect oxidation.

Never seen this before, thats why I am asking.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Seperated at Birth?

a fusible link is like a fuse. It will melt/break at a certain amperage/voltage. It has the heat reisting harness because Nissan doesn't want it to melt anything else when it does go.

If i recall correctly, the two links provide power to the pcm and something else... i can't quite name it...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
a fusible link is like a fuse. It will melt/break at a certain amperage/voltage. It has the heat reisting harness because Nissan doesn't want it to melt anything else when it does go.

If i recall correctly, the two links provide power to the pcm and something else... i can't quite name it...
Any piece of wire is/act like a fuse. At certain W = melts after too much current flow... Funny nissan way to do this ; I would still like to think its better than Anywire. But maybe its just thinner anywire - with shield...

The two other links do that, and then really smting; via the adjacent fusebox.
See Here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/5 ...Still if smbdy had the FACTS... it would be nice to know.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 AM

FYI VGE

Its the starter wire connector (big gray) that is bundled with the battery cabling. Nothin to do with battery... opened the wire bundle just today as my toady battery seems to die (6mths old Varta, warranty - 12mths but STILL no warranty!!).

Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Wiking
Any piece of wire is/act like a fuse. At certain W = melts after too much current flow... Funny nissan way to do this ; I would still like to think its better than Anywire. But maybe its just thinner anywire - with shield...
that's all it is, normally it also has a different "jacket" that indicates a "blow" somehow
Old 05-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Fusable links are more complicated in my experience. They are definately not something that you can replace with a standard wire. I did this (or tried I should say) on my old Mazda pickup. Replaced fused link with regular wire, things that didn't work STILL did not, and funny, some things that did before didn't with the regular wire. Went to Auto Zone, bought the right link, everything worked fine. I've never been able to understand it myself.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Fusable links are more complicated in my experience. ... Went to Auto Zone, bought the right link, everything worked fine. I've never been able to understand it myself.
Some small mazdas have such in main light wirings. I still dont think its std wire (?) - resistance is about zero (cold).

Edit:
So maybe its just a fuse... look for some examples:
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/fusible-link.shtml
http://coolingstore.com/mustang/3g_upgrade.htm

"... Normal amounts of current flow through the Fusible Link do not generate enough heat to warm it up, and normal amount of current flow does not result with significant voltage drop. But in the event of a “full-overload” (“short-to-ground”) problem, excessive current flow through the Fusible Link (bottle-neck effect) will overheat the Fusible Link and burn it out. The protected circuit will be automatically disconnected from power."