3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The pet peeve I CANT let go

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The pet peeve I CANT let go

Ok I'm almost fuming at how often I see open air filters under the hood, right in the hottest air possible!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I know there is gain possible (even with this terrible set up) but HELLO!!!!!!!!! CAI ummmm let's break that down C= COLD A=AIR I=INTAKE!!!!! See the problem??? Sure there could ,mabye, be a little gain in a larger intake tubing and a free flow filter but DAMN, it's not a CAI unless it's a CAI!!!!!!! You would be better off sucking air 2 " lower than the stock intake possition than the biggest intake EVER a foot from the 170-190 motor!!!! ummmmmm k me feel better
Old 05-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Hai != Cai ?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
Hai != Cai ?
Yes to a POINT!! Only in the fact that greater possible flow is just that ie better than stock. Tho to realize the real benifits of a CAI it must be just that! An air source outside the hot **** engine bay. Damn I feel so much better !!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:46 PM

There really isn't that much of a difference. Y-pipe > intake crap
Old 05-23-2005, 07:04 PM

Horse $hit I'm a newbie to Nissan comp models, but unless they change basic physics then colder denser air would = more fuel suspended= more available fuel. HOT air = less dense, less fuel, less power. Unless I've been high since my 8th grade year ( possible but NOT likley ) you are not correct.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by CyMax
Horse $hit tell me that airflow at 95-120 + isnt detrimental to engine performance. Right out WRONG.

At speeds above 30MPH, the temperature of the air going into a short-ram intake is nearly the same as that being sucked in by a CAI, only there is less piping so you get better top-end. This was verified using some thermocouples and different intake setups on a 4th gen. The air is traveling so fast it doesn't have time to be heated much by the hot engine (air is a poor conductor).
Old 05-23-2005, 07:26 PM

you are not correct.
Me?

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
At speeds above 30MPH, the temperature of the air going into a short-ram intake is nearly the same as that being sucked in by a CAI, only there is less piping so you get better top-end. This was verified using some thermocouples and different intake setups on a 4th gen. The air is traveling so fast it doesn't have time to be heated much by the hot engine (air is a poor conductor).
I've done this aswell using a Snap-On MT2500 Scanner on our old 2000 SE 5spd
Old 05-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Way out West

MrGone doesn't lie. It seems that dynos and track times prove that a CAI is only marginally better than a HAI. It is better, but not by leaps and bounds. Definitely not as much as a y-pipe, a good set of tires or an upgraded clutch. I think even advancing the timing will give you better gains than a CAI vs HAI. I think a lot of people put in a HAI because it is much simpler (no cutting or moving stuff around) and also, there is less chance of possibly drawing in water. It still brings in a larger volume of air than stock and makes a nice sound, too. hehe

You are also forgetting something -- hot air rises. If you put the intake slightly below and off to the side of the engine, it isn't getting that much hot air. I think that the air gets swirled around enough on the sides of the engine bay that it might just be a few degrees different. So, even if the engine is 170 degrees, the air coming into a CAI might be 75 degrees and the air coming into a HAI is probably 80 degrees. The area on a VE where the air is drawn to the HAI is still getting cooler air from below. If you race your car in a 1/4 mile, between runs, lift the hood and a lot of the hot air escapes and the temp of the HAI where the air is drawn in is not very hot. It worked fine for me.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:50 PM

CAI ummmm let's break that down C= COLD A=AIR I=INTAKE!!!!! See the problem???
I have run into many folks who thought (and some still do) CAI stood for :
Custom Air Intake

I have seen this over and over. Hey ! It could explain some of the problems <SIGH>

- Jim
Old 05-23-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well most intakes will do the same. But the VE doesn't like hot weather, that's for sure. And since the VE needs all the lowend it can get it's hands on, I'll state my reasons for making my custom CAI.
1) Because I could
2) Because I made one that doesn't grab air from a dirty area.
3) Mine draws air from a nice cool, clean area right below the headlight.
4) Filter can be taken off very easily from the top.
5) During the rains, it's still very high. Higher than the cattman style
6) Performance. During cold weather it's about the same as the hai. But during the hot summer, the performance is more consistent. ie... not so much as the gains but less loss during the summer. Once you are moving, yeah, it's not a big deal. But I want a colder "gulp" of air from starts, ie... stoplights, in traffic etc...When I drive around, stop and open the hood, the cai pipes are MUCH cooler than anything else in the engine bay. BUT if I sit in traffic, the ambient air really heats up the pipe. So IMHO, I believe the engine's first gulp of air from a stop is a pretty hot one. If that's the case, then the ecu is probably going to scale the timing/air-fuel back a bit until it sees some colder air later. Minor thing but I do believe it exists

I trust mrgone's opinion. But I drive MUCH more than he does and I drive in rush hour traffic every day. With my JWT ecu's adanced timing, I need all I decent air I can get, minor not. I did notice a bit less pinging w/ the cai during the summer. I ran up the same route, in the same hot weather with both types of intakes.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I trust mrgone's opinion. But I drive MUCH more than he does and I drive in rush hour traffic every day. With my JWT ecu's adanced timing, I need all I decent air I can get, minor not. I did notice a bit less pinging w/ the cai during the summer. I ran up the same route, in the same hot weather with both types of intakes.
My only real point was he shouldn't put so much emphansis on the different types of intakes until after you get atleast a y-pipe.

The ones we made are by far my favorite though
Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 AM

for that matter until u have put 25,000 dollars into your car dont talk about intake.......just kidding
Old 05-24-2005, 08:22 AM

Ok I'm almost fuming at how often I see open air filters under the hood, right in the hottest air possible!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I know there is gain possible (even with this terrible set up) but HELLO!!!!!!!!! CAI ummmm let's break that down C= COLD A=AIR I=INTAKE!!!!! See the problem??? Sure there could ,mabye, be a little gain in a larger intake tubing and a free flow filter but DAMN, it's not a CAI unless it's a CAI!!!!!!! You would be better off sucking air 2 " lower than the stock intake possition than the biggest intake EVER a foot from the 170-190 motor!!!! ummmmmm k me feel better
I only have my setup up like that for one reason. I'm building a functional hoodscoop onto my Max.

Besides, it's way better than stock (which you still pull engine heat) and sounds 10x cooler as well. (note, refer to video on tripleGmax's site)

http://www.gregg-henry.com/video/intake%20009.asf
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 AM

Only in the fact that greater possible flow is just that ie better than stock. Though to realize the real benifits of a CAI it must be just that!
Hmmm. let me refer to my post a few threads back.

Originally Posted by Kcidmil
The answer to the power loss was sitting right in front of my face, and I didn't even see it. The new intake is 3" while the stock one was 4"
in this case, the stock piping offers more flow than an aftermarket. Well, at least the mid pipe does. The air box and piping before it are very restrictive, that's why I dumped them and put a air filter on the MAF.

and Jeff92SE brought up a valuable point. I'm in South Dakota, snows like a B!tch for 8 months out of the year. last thing I need is to suck up the liquid salt or any water. My nice HAI keeps that from happening.

I hope you do feel better, you just for something stupid.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM

Ohhh. got one more point, then I'm done.

You aren't one of those who believe the turbonator works do you????
Old 05-24-2005, 01:47 PM

You aren't one of those who believe the turbonator works do you????
it doesn't?

lol
Old 05-24-2005, 06:35 PM
I miss my VE

so basically HAI is the one that is hiding next to the battery, and the CAI is the one that travels down the fender?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:36 PM

yep. that's basicly it. Of course you have your EHAI. that's the little pop charger off the down tube for the intake
Old 05-24-2005, 08:02 PM

You know what, alot of you have very good points. ( too many to quote, I'm tired )

Y pipe better than CAI, absolutely, I have to agree there

Dosent really matter HAI vs. CAI at speed... Again agree, my point was more about the hot air sitting under the hood at the start. One would have to agree that from the start a CAI would be better

A functional hood scoop, if done tastefully would be ( to harken back to my youth ) B!TCHEN!!!

Cutting a bunch of holes in your stock air box.. well might increase flow a bit I imagine, but there you are with hot **** air from the line.

Jeff, I'm sorry if I'm incorrect but if you recently posted about your CAI set up, ME WANT ONE!!!!! ummm pretty pretty shiny thing

Mr Gone.. No sir not talking to you, as far as I can tell your pretty much always right.

Look everyone I'm sorry if I come off a bit rough, I really do appreciate all your responses. For my purposes tho, I'm still going to get the pipe out of the hood. Peace Max Bro's
Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well the last time I made one, it was about $120-ish w/o the filter.

Jeff, I'm sorry if I'm incorrect but if you recently posted about your CAI set up, ME WANT ONE!!!!! ummm pretty pretty shiny thing
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well the last time I made one, it was about $120-ish w/o the filter.
And if you have a VG, it's the same price *shifty eyes*

fake edit: yes, i'm selling mine