3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

max bore on a VE throttle body???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 08:12 AM

max bore on a VE throttle body???

I believe aaron had his bored to 63mm...
Just to make sure before I send my throttle body out for boring.....
What can I bore my throttle body up to??

thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Way out West

where are you having it done at and how much?

I have a spare one...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:32 PM

it is going to be done at www.maxbore.com

all the info is there..I just need to know the max bore before I send it out...
Old 05-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by MaXtUneD
it is going to be done at www.maxbore.com

all the info is there..I just need to know the max bore before I send it out...

You might want to read about Aaron's experience with them if you haven't already.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
You might want to read about Aaron's experience with them if you haven't already.
Yeah. The guy that you will be dealing with barely speaks English and has very poor business ethics. The actual quality of the bore is very nice. But the quality of how he built my TB back together SUCKS. He put my pin upside down. Now it sucks that my TPS is upside down and barely installs correctly. I doubt it will install correctly without my TB spacer.

He was complaining how he won't do the Nissan TB for $100 anymore b/c of the hassle and the need for a press. He's full of crap b/c all you need is a simple hammer to take the pin out. You don't need a press. I think he said he charges $150 now for his Nissan TB service.

BTW, he bored mine to 63.5mm and I believe that is the max you can go to.

Here is my review of the experience I had. I even told him that I am part of a 40K member Maxima community and if this goes well, I will send a LOT of work his way. Here is my review:

Service and Communication: Speaks broken English and it takes several days to return an email while a transaction is taking place. There is no phone number to reach him at too.

Quality of bore: I can't complain about the actual bore that he did. It was a very nice cut.

Quality of TB rebuild: He screwed up the rebuild. He put in the pin upside down, which makes the TPS upside and very hard to install.

Overall recommendation: I do not recommend this guy to anybody. I have dealt with better companies. The sole reason I say this is b/c of his terrible communication and the inability to return emails in a timely manner. On top of that, he didn't know how to put my TB back together. It was his first Nissan TB bore job, but there's no excuse. It's not a complicated process.

If you want to still put up with his crappy service, then I would suggest that you take your own TB apart and send it to him and put it back together yourself. But if you're going to do all that, then almost any machine shop in the nation can do it if they have the ability to bore cylinders. I know the same company that makes the VE UDP can bore your TB if you take it apart yourself. www.aspracing.com

Maxtuned, I would reccomend that you install a 70mm PF TB and port it yourself. If you are going to do this, do it right. I think a bored 63.5mm TB will be a waste, especially since you're turbo.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i agree the extra few mm would be worthless on a turbo car hell a 70mm wouldnt be worth it in my opinion since thats not the restricktion yet there are plenty of turbo car making well over 300whp with the stocker why not get to that piont and then worry about this issue

also arron i assume you ended up fixing the mistake but as long as the guy didnt f^ck anything up i guess its not that big of deal. but did he have to cut a new larger throttle valve or not. i would think the old would be way to small and your car would idle at like 3k
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by subs1000w
also arron i assume you ended up fixing the mistake but as long as the guy didnt f^ck anything up i guess its not that big of deal. but did he have to cut a new larger throttle valve or not. i would think the old would be way to small and your car would idle at like 3k
I never did fix the mistake, I just installed it that way. The guy was so hard to deal with, it wouldn't be worth me shipping my TB back to him just so I he can rebuild it.

He bored my TB to 63.5mm. That involves changing the plate from a 60mm one to a 63.5mm one. If you don't change the plate, you'd have a serious issue and the motor would fire up at 5K rpm! Keeping the stock plate isn't an option when boring a throttle body. If you just do some port work, then yes, you keep the stock plate b/c you aren't going to port where the plate seats.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:45 PM

how long did it take from when you sent it in to when you got it back?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:04 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
how long did it take from when you sent it in to when you got it back?
I don't remember. I do remember it being over a couple weeks though.

Please do not go with this guy. When I first sent him an email, I told him that I am a part of a huge Nissan community and if he does this job right, I will send him a LOT of business. He didn't care! That's my point! Please find a business that actually cares about there customers.

Please read my review above. Terrible service, terrible customer service, terrible English, terrible work, but good bore quality.

I'd check out ASP. I know they do a good service since Candiman got his bored there many years ago. He took it apart himself to save some money. I don't know what they charge, but look into them.

Also, you can do a search for ANY bore service around the country. Just don't go with the guy at maxbore. It was an absolute horrible experience. But not nearly as bad as my experience with Don Cooper. Don't ask about that.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Conecarver

You could also try ProFlow. They do nice work.
http://www.proflowdesign.com/throttlebodies.html
Old 10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
kthxbye2u

ASP does not bore throttle bodies anymore... i got an email today about it
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
ASP does not bore throttle bodies anymore... i got an email today about it
Thanks. Proflow it is!
Old 10-18-2006, 10:08 PM
VE Powah!!!

Hey Aaron, did you notice a slight power improvement, over stock with your big bore TB? Also, any loss of low-end?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Duckman540i
Hey Aaron, did you notice a slight power improvement, over stock with your big bore TB? Also, any loss of low-end?
Well, I went from stock TB to a ported TB that I ported myself. Ported means that I did NOT change the TB plate. But I did noticed a little gain in throttle response.

When I went from ported TB to bored 63.5mm TB, I can't say whether I noticed any gains b/c I did a lot of other work at the same time I swapped TBs. I rebuilt my VTCs and made my own teflon upper intake manifold and TB spacers.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM

sorry to hear about your bad experience with maxbore.com...the honda/acura guys speak so highly of him...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:40 AM
NWP Engineering.com

sorry to hear about your bad experience with maxbore.com...the honda/acura guys speak so highly of him...
Yeah, I read the same thing on all the Honda forums. But this guy can't even speak proper English and it takes several days for him to reply to an email. Plus, this was the first Nissan TB that he's bored and he rebuilt it incorrectly. He should have been capable of rebuilding it properly the first time.

And I even told him that I will send a bunch of business his way if he does a decent job. When he gave me such crappy service after I said that, I can't possibly recommend him to any Nissan owner now.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
kthxbye2u

hmmm dont you think that $190 is pretty high?...

well other than that option im looking around town for some machine shops. maybe even friend discount
Old 10-21-2006, 02:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

hmmm dont you think that $190 is pretty high?...

well other than that option im looking around town for some machine shops. maybe even friend discount
Yeah, $190 is a little high. Do your research and post back here after you know more info.

Feel free to go with the maxbore guy. But I would recommend contacting him first to see how fast he responds. Then if you are satisfied with his English, then take apart your own TB and just send him the TB without any linkage stuff on it. He will probably charge you the same price for other Nissans, but I'd ask him if you could get a discount anyway.

But if you do go with him, expect slow service and bad communication. And if you don't dismantle your own TB, then expect him to rebuild it incorrectly. But I hope he's learned from the mistake he made with me.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:09 PM

I hope the guy at maxbore is better at nissan TB's by now...I am sure he has done more of them since yours...I might just send it to him cause all of the honda guys are telling me to send it to him saying his work is great...but your experience makes me nervous...
Old 10-21-2006, 08:31 PM
kthxbye2u

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Then if you are satisfied with his English
^ahahaha

well where did you say he was located... orlando?

well i sent him an E-mail... just wait and see
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
NWP Engineering.com

^ahahaha

well where did you say he was located... orlando?

well i sent him an E-mail... just wait and see
Yeah, he's somewhere near there in a small town. I'm sure he has a full time job and works out of his home. But actual bore job was good, but man his communication was the worst I've seen in a while. Plus, he didn't even look at the TB before you took the pin out.

I really don't know what the Honda guys like about him. Maybe all the other Honda guys speak the same language as the maxbore guy.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:36 PM

If anyone wants a spare TB. I'll ship my VE one for $30 anywhere. SOLD
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
kthxbye2u

well... the guy will do them for 135 with return shipping... "THATS SWEET!"

and he CAN give us a discount if i can probably get more people to go

this is what he said

Hello.
I need a working Tb in order for me to bore and make a butterfly. I don't need sensors or idle control devices, but I do need the shaft and complete pulley and spring assembly.
I can give you a discount, but it entirely depends on how many TBs you have bored. I don't discount on referals alone. The price for your Tb is $135 and it includes return shipping.
Thanks
jorge
question... sooo what would i be sending him? lol
Old 10-25-2006, 05:37 AM
STFU n00b!

his English looks fine to me. maybe he was drunk when he did your TB, Aaron.

lemme know how it turns out if you send it to him. I'd love to send one now as well so we can both get a few bucks off, but it's not in the budget right now.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
his English looks fine to me. maybe he was drunk when he did your TB, Aaron.

lemme know how it turns out if you send it to him. I'd love to send one now as well so we can both get a few bucks off, but it's not in the budget right now.
Yeah, it seems fine there. I am going to try to dig up some of the emails I have from him. If I kept them, that is.

Marshall, you would be sending him your TB without the TPS attached. But maybe you should leave it on there so he easily knows which way to reinstall the pin.

Also, make sure you tell him that you have a Maxima guy that you installed the pin on backwards. "Can you make extra effort to make sure this TB is put back together properly?"
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I just reread all the emails exchanged with this guy when I got the TB bored almost two years ago. This was the first Nissan TB he's messed with.

Well, I first emailed the guy and told him I was a customer ready to ship out his TB and I'm a part of a huge Maxima community and if this goes well, I can send a LOT of business his way.

He replies back REALLY fast. I was surprised and thanked him for the quick reply.

I ship out my TB and pay the man via Paypal. 1 day later (I lived 3 hours from the guy), the TB arrives and he promptly sends me an email saying that he received the TB but the TPS was out of spec, which is fine. He wanted to adjust it by reading the voltage, which is what I guess Hondas need. I told him that was fine.

He told me this was going to be a one day turn around. Well, I gave him a couple days, then sent him an email wondering what's happening. NO REPLY.

Then I sent another email a couple days later... NO REPLY!

Now I'm worried after 6 whole days of this guy ignoring my emails. Then on the 6th day, he replied and said he was going to ship my TB back to me, but the pin needed to be pressed out. He also said everything is done and he will email me a UPS tracking number tomorrow. This works out OK since I can not receive signed packages from USPS b/c of my long working hours out of town every day. So UPS works out great since the UPS guy just leaves the package at my apartment door step. USPS wont' do that for a signature, they just take it back to the post office when it's not signed for.

Anyway, I am waiting patiently for this UPS tracking number. Another 3 days go by and I get no reply from this guy! Then he replies back saying the package was shipped via USPS Priority, which is fine if he doesn't require a signature. But I did not mention this to him since he said UPS was going to be his shipping method!

Then I get a note on my apartment door saying that a signature is required for this USPS package!! I am pissed since I work out of town M-F. And the post office is closed on Sat and Sundays where I lived. They can't drop it off at the apartment front office b/c they are closed before and after I work, and they are closed on the weekends. So I have no way to pick this package up. If he would have said he was going to ship USPS, I would have gave him proper instructions. But he said he would ship UPS, which works out great for my circumstances.

I finally got the package by getting my brother, to take off work to grab my package from the post office, which was 45 minutes away from where I work.

From beginning to end, it took him 10 days to get my package back to me, not counting the several days it took for me to get my package from the local post office and not counting the my shipping time to his home. It should have taken 2 or 3 days to get my TB back since I lived only 3 hours away from him and normal shipping would only take 1 day.

Then when I finally do get the TB, he installed the pin on backwards. Which makes it very hard for me to install it that way since the throttle valve switch is upside down and hits the upper intake manifold.

I didn't even email him when I found out this problem b/c he's been very rude and uncooperative with me during the entire transaction.

It was a bad experience for me for the basic reason that his communication was horrible. After he had my money and my TB, he disappeared for almost a week without answering any of my emails. At first he was prompt in replying to my emails before he had my money, then after he had my money, he stopped caring. That is why I can't recommend this guy to anybody else.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
STFU n00b!

meh... so he's a busy guy that has too many things on his plate to deal with a whiny customer. (no offense, but that's supplier's side of situations like this- I've been there MANY times.)

just take a couple pics of it before you send it showing the proper direction of the pin and send a copy of them along with the TB. he'll be sure to get it right then.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:58 PM

Hey guys...

I just recently had 2 bmw tb's done by maxbore, great workmanship and his communication skills have gotten better. Anyways, one of the tb's worked really great, but the other had some idle issues, so I email him and the next day I get a reply to ship it out to him and he'll pay for return shipping, which is fine because he offers life-time warranty. Anyways, in 1 week, I get the tb back but haven't tested it yet but it looks fine. This is a great person to have your tb bored for a reasonable price. Let me remind you guys, this is not his full time business, he does this on the side.

If you guys are doubtful about sending it to him, don't be.I wouldn't hesitate to send him another tb.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 PM
kthxbye2u

well im waiting on my TB in the mail soooo ill let you guys know when i send it to him and such
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 PM
NWP Engineering.com

It's highly likely he was having a bad week and didn't want to share his life story with me to explain why it took him so long to return my emails.

I am probably one of the only bad transactions he's ever had. From the reviews I've heard before and after I dealt with this guy, I was confident he would do a decent job. I also checked out what the Honda guys said about him before going with him.

As Matt said, a photo would probably help him out a lot. It would be easy to print out a digi picture real quick and throw it in your box.

I hope he learned from my Nissan TB. Since it was all new to him, he had trouble getting the TB apart.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:41 PM
kthxbye2u

yeah he deff replies to my emails the next day

sorry aaron you prolly were the ONLY one who had a bad experience

but your situation with him did suck
Old 10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

yeah he deff replies to my emails the next day

sorry aaron you prolly were the ONLY one who had a bad experience

but your situation with him did suck
No reason to apologize! It's highly likely I was the only one that had a bad experience. If you deal with 1000 customers a year, you're bound to have a bad experience with ONE of them.

But he answered all my emails promptly until after he had my money and TB. Then it took a week for him to return my next email. Then another 3 days to return the next. It made me nervous since I've never dealt with this guy before and I knew he was a guy working out of his house.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:00 AM
I miss my VE

Is it really worth porting out the TB? $135 seems a bit too high for just a tad better throttle response.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 AM

no, there are other gains to be had...look at it this way...why else would small displacement b series honda guys be boring out their TB's..? now imagine how much more air a 3.0L v6 could utilize if it was there/available...
Old 10-29-2006, 08:41 AM
I miss my VE

no, there are other gains to be had...look at it this way...why else would small displacement b series honda guys be boring out their TB's..? now imagine how much more air a 3.0L v6 could utilize if it was there/available...
So then it's "yes"?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 AM
kthxbye2u

well... ours i dont think we have after market TB like the hondas do...

our max's have a 60mm bore and can be bored to 63.5
hondas i think are 60 also... and can be bored to something IDK...
but they have after makets which are already at 65mm and they can bore those to freakin 70!!!!, thats a big bore (i think), we only get 3.5 mm's larger... sooo now i think i maybe reconsidering it... MAYBE is the keyword depends on others' input on this subject
Old 10-29-2006, 11:27 AM

Infiniti makes a 90mm, you can probubly make an adapter piece.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 AM
kthxbye2u

it would bottleneck... unless you do other stuff in the Upper Intake Manifold... correcto?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:07 PM

it would bottleneck... unless you do other stuff in the Upper Intake Manifold... correcto?

Well then it'll be time to learn how to machine and make a new upper intake!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
kthxbye2u

guys i got my extra TB

and i was reading maxbore's site and found this... i know someone else wanted to do it soooo here if anyone else wants to join

Group Buys
Group buys are for throttle body only orders, no manifolds.
I accept buyer organized group buys, and here are the conditions:
ALL Throttle bodies must come in the same box.
ALL Throttle bodies will be returned to ONE address. No drop shipments.
Payment must be made for all throttle bodies in ONE single payment
This is the price break down:
2 throttle bodies $95 each ($97 each if paid with paypal)
3 throttle bodies $90 each ($92 each if paid with paypal)
4 or more throttle bodies $85 each ($87 each if paid with paypal)
Return shipping is included in the price and $200 worth of insurance per throttle body.
sound good?... BTW this is for civic group buys... sooo since its non honda... it will cost a little more ill have to email the guy and such

im doing this with or without a group, sooo its your call

Quick Reply: max bore on a VE throttle body???