3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intermittent power window operation.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 PM

Intermittent power window operation.

Bought my Maxima few months back and, like most cars, has some eerrrrr... Personality. I'm not very fond of the las*** trait, especially since summer is coming.

Issue:
All 4 power windows are Intermittently working more off than on. I have done some troubleshooting and here are the results:

-- Observation: All switches are affected. Either all switches work or none work.
-- Observation: Windows will have power 98%+ of the time anywhere between 1-2 seconds on turning key turn from "Off" to "Acc".(every time)
-- Observation: I have not found any patterns regarding the timing of the issue when problem starts/stops.

I have recently dissassembled the switch unit and cleaned the internal components just because I had it out while replacing the front speakers. I did not however touch up any solder points.
The issue was present before this, but was not very often. I could not find any wiring diagram on the AutoZone online manual repair guide.

Conclusion:
I don't believe any of the motors are bad. When working, they all are strong.
I am doubting it is a fuse, although I will clean/switch the current one.
I plan on taking out the assembly tomorrow to look for a loose connection or "dead spot" in the wires.

Is there any additional info / tips / look for's ?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Mentally Hilarious

I am having the same problem with no luck at fixing the main switch. Anyway to find the switch for <$100?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jim_1990SE
...Is there any additional info / tips / look for's ?
How about FSM?

All the pwr comes via fusible links, see page5. Supply goes via SMJ and a circ breaker; check those.

Here is some info, basic schema: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/13

Look at the page, bottom, links: ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Old 08-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

I'm having the exact same problem.
Did you ever get it figured out? Mine just started doing this... but my driver's window is open and we're expecting thunderstorms later tonight!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by warrior90t
I am having the same problem with no luck at fixing the main switch. Anyway to find the switch for <$100?
Ebay, around 15-25
Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That sounds exactly like my recent problem all the way down to the thing working briefly when the key is just turned on. Replaced the master switch and all is well.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 AM

In the end, I wound up replacing all four switches. Found the set on eBay for $45.

This purchase was mainly due to all four windows being left down during an unexpected downpour(You the kind where you leave the windows down because it's 100 degrees out, no clouds in the sky, and you don't want your dashboard cracking etc..., so you go out somewhere in another car. Then it pours(really pours!!!) for like 20 minutes while your out). They never moved after that. Even after letting them dry out for 2 days in 90+ degree heat.

After replacing all four switches(because all four got soaked !!!)... Everything is working consistantly. Even the driver's side "Auto-Down" switch will lower the window down in one "click of the switch" where it took two taps before.

In the end, it was probably the master switch from the start.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why don't you check the switches from the back doors since they were probably rarely used and look new to save them as spares?