3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

amazing VE if interested at my dealership

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:47 PM

oh well, michael you always shoot me down me stupid
Old 06-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

also...its a non air bag car so the car is a 92 (airbag optional in 92 standard in 93) and my 92 was nicer than that one when I sold it (just more miles but all major motor stuff done anyway like VTCs, exhaust studs etc.). I didnt get any where near 10K for it.

Way over priced older car imo.

heck I wouldnt even give 4750 for it (what the bid is at right now) with the lack of options and age of the car.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 PM

this car is from minesota? that's insane, How do you keep a car that nice for 13 minnesota winters, even if it only sees 16k miles
Old 06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
oh well, michael you always shoot me down me stupid
haha didnt mean to just straightening things out
Old 06-07-2005, 07:54 PM

haha, true true.

i agree i wouldnt pay whats its at right now either. only other 3rd gen i would want is your old one michael, of course kitted on intrax with 18s is the hottness!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:04 AM

blue book on this thing says the retail value is $5,060...if people were smart they would keep it where it is now (5k) and wait for a lowering of the reserve price.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 AM

That car is in absurdly good shape.

I only wish I had the extra cash to buy it up and keep it packed away for a few more years.

One of the best-looking Japanese sedans ever.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jbr8k
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...200447&rd=1&ss

It has a wierd combination of options or lack of..
It has the same lack of options as my car.

No sunroof
No Airbag
Cloth Seats

The CD is aftermarket
Old 06-08-2005, 08:32 AM

well if anyone decides to bid.... i can tell you that it is being maintained... it was up on the lift getting an inspection done yesturday by one of our master techs. just thought you guys would like to know
Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thats tweed, not cloth ... i have watched ebay for a long time and i can tell you - i've seen gxe's with 50,000 miles go for 5,500 with few options.
the most fierce bidding will occur in the last 3-4 hours, if it is at 5100 now... well u will just have to wait and see - and i quote myself "crazy retards"
Old 06-08-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
"crazy retards"
werd

Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM

As to this car being "strangely configured", my 1993 SE is very similar to this one:

No moonroof (DAMNIT!)
Driver-only airbag
After-market CD HU and 12-disc changer
Cloth seating
Black interior

The cloth in that 92 looks much different than mine...some kind of special pattern. Mine is more like a fuzzy texture, and a much deeper gray. My cruise control buttons are also between my steering wheel spokes, and not in the center of the wheel...a function of airbags of course.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slamnasty
No moonroof (DAMNIT!)
Driver-only airbag
After-market CD HU and 12-disc changer
Cloth seating
Reasons why I wouldn't buy it
Old 06-08-2005, 07:06 PM

My friend who is a Honda fan, is bidding on this after not believing his own eyes.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
only other 3rd gen i would want is your old one michael, of course kitted on intrax with 18s is the hottness!
You mean this car? I think the kit fell off...

Old 06-09-2005, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
and my 92 was nicer than that one when I sold it
That was actually my first thought as well after looking through the pics. The only thing that car has on mine is the immaculate engine bay.

Can you imagine test driving that thing? Hello understeer...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by bmw88rider
That airbag setup is not original I don't think. Aren't the cruise control buttons in the wrong place? Sure spent a lot of money on the stereo for a car with only 15K miles. Somethings are not adding up. I'm sure it's low miles but it seems like there is something hiding there. I would say 6500 max if it were me. My car has more equipment than that. (not in as nice of shape though)
The car has ZERO options. It is essentially a base model. Look at the window sticker. The stuff on the LH side are the standard features. On the right hand side (where the options go) it's blank.

It is a 92 with:

No AT (not that I would want that, but it is an option)
No Airbag
No moonroof
No leather
No power seats

The car is beautiful, but to pay so much for it would suck. I would much prefer to have a sweet driver like Mike's black one.

It is essentially a "collector car" since it is in such good shape and has such low miles. The problem is, adding a stereo, which includes cutting holes in the door panels, removing pieces from the trunk and getting rid of the factory stereo. Ask someone with a 70 Cuda if it is more valuable to have a CD player or the stock 8 track it came out of the factory with.

I still think the car looks good, but not really worth the money. I still wonder what bank would give a $10k loan for a 13 year-old car.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:16 AM

$7600!
kbb for retail is only 4800... that is insane
Old 06-09-2005, 09:35 AM

My friend is still the high bidder, haha.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 AM

your friend is high... what??
Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 AM

@ 7600 now, i knew these retards were crazy, but not this crazy, 5 days left and well over my guess of 7500
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by DGruber 58
$7600!
kbb for retail is only 4800... that is insane
I cannot begin to describe how true I think that statement is.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE

No power windows

I still wonder what bank would give a $10k loan for a 13 year-old car.
All 3rdGens have power windows. Period. And you are right about the bank. The most they will make a CAR loan for is the book value. That is b/c the car is the collateral and if you default, they want a decent chance of getting some of their money back by selling the car.

The buyer will have to make up the difference with cash or a signature loan.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

One thing I think alot of people seem to be overlooking is that..

You can always paint a car and restore the interior and put a new engine in it, but you CANT take all those miles off the body. That car with 15k miles is going to be a more solid/nicer/etc car than one with 200k that's been re-painted/rebuilt/etc.. I mean it's just flat got less stress/wear/tear/etc on the body structure

I would honestly pay $7k for it if I had the cash. Then again, I'm more 'dedicated' than some
Old 06-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by James92SE
One thing I think alot of people seem to be overlooking is that..

You can always paint a car and restore the interior and put a new engine in it, but you CANT take all those miles off the body. That car with 15k miles is going to be a more solid/nicer/etc car than one with 200k that's been re-painted/rebuilt/etc.. I mean it's just flat got less stress/wear/tear/etc on the body structure

I would honestly pay $7k for it if I had the cash. Then again, I'm more 'dedicated' than some

nope see that is where I disagree with you...sorry James usually we see eye to eye on most things. IF the body isnt stressed enough to cause body warping then its not stressed enough to matter...how the heck does the body wear? Sure there is wear on suspension parts but that is also replacable. You would have to auto x HARD for a long time on a stock body for it to make a difference in wear.

7K is still way too much 5K maybe but it would be hard for me to pay even that for it...not now with it being 13 years old (bone stock and no options). Mileage doesnt matter on a early 90s sedan IMO...just foolish to pay for low mileage on a car like that. I love the 3rd gen maxima style and the whole car in general but come on guys its an early 90s mas produced common everyday car (its value will never go up...it doesnt have the makings of a future classic...just too many of them)...low mileage or not it doesnt justify that kind of money. I guarantee whoever gets it has buyers remourse when they realize how much they paid for a non optioned 92 sedan.

Sorry guys you can throw out any reason in the world but it still doesnt justify that price in my opinion. I hope I dont hurt any ones feelings with my statements but thats how I feel...I am by no means a 3rd gen hater...I love the cars but I am just a realist...and use a little common sense...very little most of the time but still a little.

EDIT I had to edit my post (in italics) because I got a PM that didnt think I thought a 13 year old car was worth 5k. It is but it would have to be more than a bone stock no optioned car...my main point is that to me mileage doesnt really matter on a car like that...it does to an extent but not that much of a difference because you can get one that is almost as nice for a couple of grand (again mileage doesnt matter on the body imo) and put several more grand in it to have a much nicer car than that. Or you can buy one thats already as nice or actually nicer than that for less(5k or so)...mileage just doesnt matter that much imo.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
All 3rdGens have power windows. Period. And you are right about the bank. The most they will make a CAR loan for is the book value. That is b/c the car is the collateral and if you default, they want a decent chance of getting some of their money back by selling the car.

The buyer will have to make up the difference with cash or a signature loan.
I know about the power windows. I edited my post. I don't know what I typed that for.

I agree with James in a sense. I think there are a lot of chassis components that are still like new that would be worn down after many more miles. But, I agree with Mike that anything over probably $5k or maybe a little more is just too much.

Also, cars like these CAN become collectible. Even though they made a lot of them, 99.5 percent are driven all the time and probably 80-90 percent have over 100k miles. There are a lot of nice looking mass-produced cars that can retain a lot of value. I recall an 86 Mustang GT on ebay a couple years back when I had mine and it was similar to this Maxima. I think it had 12k original miles and was in showroom condition. IIRC, it sold for $16k.

If I had the money I would really think about buying it -- the only problem for me is I would much prefer to have leather and a moonroof. The tweed just seems cheap to me and a 3rd gen just isn't right when you are driving it and don't have the moonroof.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 PM

I agree with you on the tweed. A little off topic, but Has anyone ever attempted to put a factory-style moonroof in their 3rd gen? I wouldn't mind having one.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

IF the body isnt stressed enough to cause body warping then its not stressed enough to matter...how the heck does the body wear? Sure there is wear on suspension parts but that is also replacable.
7K is still way too much 5K maybe but it would be hard for me to pay even that for it...not now with it being 13 years old. Mileage doesnt matter on a early 90s sedan IMO...just foolish to pay for low mileage on a car like that. I love the 3rd gen maxima style and the whole car in general...low mileage or not it doesnt justify that kind of money. I guarantee whoever gets it has buyers remourse when they realize how much they paid for a non optioned 92 sedan.

Sorry guys you can throw out any reason in the world but it still doesnt justify that price in my opinion. I am by no means a 3rd gen hater...I love the cars but I am just a realist...and use a little common sense....
Brilliantly stated. Metal is metal. With a thorough inspection you can find a high mileage 3rd gen with a body that will last as long as you want to keep it(barring calcium chloride baths from New England roads). Plastic, rubber, upholstery. All those things wear with time. All are replaceable. Give me 5 grand to 'freshen' my car and it would be two times better(more options/no questions) and I'd still be under the 7000 mark. I have smarter ways to use my money. Winning a bidding war is not one of them.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:59 PM

for instance.... also available (with under 50,000 miles) for 8000$ on autotrader, a fully loaded...
mmm?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:27 PM

a fully loaded...
fully loaded = no fun
Old 06-12-2005, 09:38 PM

for instance.... also available (with under 50,000 miles) for 8000$ on autotrader, a fully loaded...
mmm?

with a cracked from lip too. is that feature extra?

****, I'd sell my car in a heartbeat for $7500. Gone, done, no questions asked.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:28 PM

Well, it's at $7800 right now. in 24 hours we'll see who was right. So far it appears the ones ready to lay out big cash for this ride are the ones who nailed it.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Welp, it topped out at $8200, but bidding did not meet reserve. Looks like Lupient will have to come down some on the price.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:51 AM

Unbelievable!

I'll just be happy with what I've got now.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:12 AM

ill sell my car for $8200, anyone interested???
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm needing a caw

When someone hit my old maxima, their insurance paid out $8000 for it.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:32 PM

I like the tweed--it's very durable and comfortable on hot or cold days unlike leather. I had black leather in my old max, and though it was perfectly maintained, I think I still prefer the tweed.

Does anyone else's stock shifter **** have the gears on the top like this one? Mine doesn't, and I don't think I've ever seen the 3rd gens with it.

About the price, I wouldn't pay that much although it's a very nice looking car.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:03 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

nope see that is where I disagree with you...sorry James usually we see eye to eye on most things. IF the body isnt stressed enough to cause body warping then its not stressed enough to matter...how the heck does the body wear? Sure there is wear on suspension parts but that is also replacable. You would have to auto x HARD for a long time on a stock body for it to make a difference in wear.
I should've explained better

I dont mean just the physical metal, I mean the whole body as a whole, the 'tightness' of the body so to speak..

I'm mainly talking about all those little squeaks and noises and vibrations that develop in cars over the years. Sure you can restore the interior and the body but it just cant ever be as 'tight' as the day it rolled off the showroom floor..

You know... like the moment you take your door panel off to do a window regulator it's just never quite the same.. not as solid feeling anymore, and the more you mess with it and the more times you have to take it off the worse it gets (and I know you guys know what I'm talkin about ). Nothing is really broken, nothing is missing, everything is there, but for some reason it's not quite the same. Same with a car as a whole, that's the sort of thing I'm talkin about

I know the difference is probably miniscule.. but it's still a difference. To my ease of mind at least
Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 PM

Crazy, i cant beleive that that thing sold for 8,200 just think, I bought my max for 1,700 the body and interior were flawless, but it had 177,000 miles but if i stuck 6,500 into my car i could do a total engine rebuild and new suspension parts,and some other new parts for that price. Whoever bought that max is nuts i would way rather have my 92 se with a sunroof and airbags for 1,700 than a 8,200$ basic model max with low miles, plus if that thing wasnt drove much then one somone does start to drive it then there will be some seals leaking and other old parts failing. I dont care what anyone one here says it will happen i have seen it alot.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Wow, that is one clean maxima! I hope it makes the new owner happy. I guarantee though that they will be replacing parts on it. My car had 37K miles on it 3 years ago when I bought it, and the front crank seal was bad, the VTC's just went out (dealer replaced) and the clutch went bad soon after I bought it. When a car sits for awhile, stuff rots away on it, as many people have probably already mentioned. That price might have been acceptable if the car was loaded with leather, sunroof, etc.

Quick Reply: amazing VE if interested at my dealership