3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas Guage on the Fritz....Anyone know about that?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 08:49 AM

So, my gas guage has been possessed. It's not reporting the right amount of gas anymore. I got to about 80 miles and I expect it to be approaching the first mark, but instead it was at half! So, then it stayed at half for 120 more miles.

BUT!...When it gets to about 200 miles, the gauge drops completely off the planet...way past the E. I dont think it can drop anymore.

At first, I thought it could be an O2 sensor, and that I was actually getting crappy milage...but when I will up, things are cool. Like, I had 200 miles on the tank and the gague regestered way past E, but when I filled it up, I got 1/2 a tank in. So, the gas is good, but the gauge is jacked.

Any ideas? I gotta keep my max in tip-top shape.

newmax.

PS...this has happened for 3 or 4 tanks, so it's not an isolated deal.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:47 PM

I have the same problem and never paid much attn to it. But after 3 years of not knowing I'd like to fix it. I went to Nissan yesterday but I for got to ask.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:03 PM

Guys all I can say like always is, just replace the gauge. Pick one up from your local junk yard... Saves mucho tyme n $$$. Dont just ask for the fuel gauge, ask for the whole g/cluster. Get the SE 1's if u got a gxe if avaliable.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:29 PM

thats a great idea

if you know it's the gauge, i have had much experiance with this specific problem on many cars mostly gm but never a max. The problem actually didnt lie in the gauge but in the float assembly, it sounds like your gauge is working but the float is sending the wrong info, ushually you can blame this on the float being stuck or in the wrong possition or the electrical sensor in it sending the wrong info, but before you replace anything in your fuel system ALWAYS do the fuel filter before you replace anything, it reacks much havoc on the fuel system. you can test for the electrical problem with an ohmeter at the fuel pump electrical connector located in the trunk i believe there should be .5 ohms of resistance and if not its junk, if its good you can reconnect it and release the fuel pressure by starting your car and pulling out the fuel fuse untill the car stalls (you would of done this before if you've replaced your fuel filter before), this relieves the pressure. connect a fuel pressure gauge(auto zone 10$) between the fuel filter outlet nozzle and the feeder tube, and start it upyou shoulg get about 36.3 psi i belive at idle and 43.4 if you mash the pedle, keeping in mind you will only get that for the moment you mash the pedle, after that it will increase some and if you have the se model its like 36.0 and 43.0 if you dont find any problems here let me know and i will tell you a few more things you could try
Old 05-18-2001, 08:52 AM

Re: thats a great idea

Hey BigJay I just noticed u live in Mass. I used to live up in Lawrence/Methuen before. If u eva go there,WOA dont bring the maxima. Trust me dont.
Old 05-18-2001, 10:46 AM

i drove threw there the other day

on my way to industrial court for workmans comp,i had to drive threw the bad part, wasnt to bad but i didnt stop either, i think everyone is cambodian or maybe asian, i think i saw a gang too looked like asian crip, no to nice, but i parked next to a phat benz feeling confident they would take that first, it was also a bank parking lot on lawrence treet after the bridge, near superior court
Old 05-19-2001, 04:18 PM

Re: i drove threw there the other day

Hmm I lived up there for 11 years and 97% of the population was hispanic. Puerto Ricans and Dominicans mainly. Never saw a person of Asian decent at all. I guess things have changed since I last visited the place 4yrs ago.
Yeah u where lucky that u parked next to that benzo. If not the next post u would have made would of been, "Max got jacked yesterday" hehe...
But for real, that place has a high percentage of crime n car theft. And if the Asians didn't jack it the first tyme, hence I know my latino cousins would have if they saw it. U know they carry universal starter keys for late model Camry's and the good ol Cressida's? FYI. And they love em Maximas. My mother had an 88 max and it got jacked 3 tymes. Even right out of our garage one tyme. They wont think twice about it. Them punks up there mainly steal em for joy rides. Seriously joy rides. If they get lucky n jack one with goodies inside, well say goodbye to your modds. Again dont feel too confident when traveling around Lawrence next tyme. Keep your guard up and if u gotta stop for something, park between a Gs400 n M5... Those will be the drug lords....woops dont wanna park there...lol