3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 AM

What should I do?

Alright so I'm standing at a crossroads. My max needs a new transmission and one used plus one rebuilt trans has already failed (auto). That's just over $1100 lost. So now I'm considering these two options;

1) Get a manual max parts car and do a 5spd swap. I have found one that has 254000 miles on it, but the transmission was rebuilt only 62000 miles ago, for only $900. Thing is it's sitting 690 miles away so the time and effort it takes to get it home is enough to reconsider. (Need I say this car is quite rare in this country)

2) Sell the car. I cannot part it out since there are almost no need for parts in sweden. If I sell it I'd get something like $800 for it, leaving me with a dept of about $2000 (not counting the $1100 already lost to the failing trans).

So, should I put myself in more dept and hope the car will last awhile, or should I withdraw and consider $2000 as reasonable?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:20 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Phatsta
Alright so I'm standing at a crossroads. So now I'm considering these two options;

1) Get a manual max parts car and do a 5spd swap. I have found one for only $900.
2) Sell the car. I cannot part it out since there are almost no need for parts in sweden. ...with a dept of about $2000 (not counting the $1100 already lost to the failing trans).

So, should I put myself in more dept and hope the car will last awhile, or should I withdraw and consider $2000 as reasonable?
All other things being in good working condition I would opt for number 1. Try to negotiate it down to $700 for the trans and $100-200 for shipping. Then slap that manny in there and drive on.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
All other things being in good working condition I would opt for number 1. Try to negotiate it down to $700 for the trans and $100-200 for shipping. Then slap that manny in there and drive on.
2. I know one buyer... He'll try to negotiate it down to 600

1. Some truckers might bring it down cheap if no hurry, when they have not enought freight. Ask.

0. Now I can peek through my windows!
Old 06-09-2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
2. I know one buyer... He'll try to negotiate it down to 600

1. Some truckers might bring it down cheap if no hurry, when they have not enought freight. Ask.

0. Now I can peek through my windows!
2. Forget it!

1. Yeah I've checked prices... and it's about $480 to ship it by truck down here, using a freight company. It's also the fastest option. That is if I can't find anyone nice enough to do me the favour for free...

0. Nice, did you get the part?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:27 AM

I'm getting the whole car for $900. Figured that's the best thing to do, coz I'll have a lot of spare parts, not just the trans.

I think I'll go with that actually.

Any other opinions?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:33 AM

2. Forget it!

1. Yeah I've checked prices... and it's about $480 to ship it by truck down here, using a freight company. It's also the fastest option. That is if I can't find anyone nice enough to do me the favour for free...

0. Nice, did you get the part?
2. 700?

1. Have u checked the price from Übertorneå; might be ein bischen li*** smaller price; those rednecks come down with any load to pic up ... chickenload??? Or maybe not if there hauling reindeer.

0. Fuse... Theres a welded fuse in that pcb corner, 'wrong side'. Now it lets view the US .org; still intermittent. Will get that 0shekel spare tomorrow

Edit:
The autoditor wipes the ord: l i t e ...away. How come? Curse? Like the number after five...
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM

2. 700?

1. Have u checked the price from Übertorneå; might be ein bischen li*** smaller price; those rednecks come down with any load to pic up ... chickenload??? Or maybe not if there hauling reindeer.

0. Fuse... Theres a welded fuse in that pcb corner, 'wrong side'. Now it lets view the US .org; still intermittent. Will get that 0shekel spare tomorrow

Edit:
The autoditor wipes the ord: l i t e ...away. How come? Curse? Like the number after five...
2. Not selling
1. Well if I hire Rudolf the rednosed raindeer maybe it'd get off a little cheaper
0. I really don't understand what the problem was with your laptop... you said there was a screen problem due to a cable being loose... right? What's with the fuse?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:30 AM

2. Not selling
1. Well if I hire Rudolf the rednosed raindeer maybe it'd get off a little cheaper
0. I really don't understand what the problem was with your laptop... you said there was a screen problem due to a cable being loose... right? What's with the fuse?
2. Oh youre just tea sing... I thought I'd get good spares for eternity.
1. Isn't Germany nearer? Gerr many more maxes tHere. I told the best already: 80k max -93 with 800€. (btw. Whatever u do, dont ever drive with 'em; get lots pictures before and after)
0. 3 simultaneous problems: wire[done], the fusecomponent [done], still the backlight ctrl IC. Btw. I've changed my mind about Hp laptops: their spares policy greed surpasses Nissan stealer$hips from any angle.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:13 AM
mod or sell?

buy the donor car and sell wiking parts for his
Old 06-09-2005, 09:26 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Lets start a "move wiking to the united states fund" So he can rummage though all our wonderful salvage yards...
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Lets start a "move wiking to the united states fund" So he can rummage though all our wonderful salvage yards...
I've been only once on a salvage yard there... here they've been educated by gvmt to rip off customers [?like intlautomator now to phasta], never visit 'em(why pay more for rusty?).

One question rises form this:

How many 3gen maxes have been sold; how many are still on the road?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

How many 3gen maxes have been sold; how many are still on the road?
I can tell you that VE30DEs in salvage yards are few and far between in the heart of Texas. Watching this board over the last few months makes me want to take a field trip to St Louis. Where the heck are they getting all of those 3rd Gens?!?!?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I can tell you that VE30DEs in salvage yards are few and far between in the heart of Texas. Watching this board over the last few months makes me want to take a field trip to St Louis. Where the heck are they getting all of those 3rd Gens?!?!?

There is one on every street corner in my area, seems like.......
Old 06-09-2005, 10:45 AM

I wanna have a figure how many max ribs are there to scavenge, if its figure big enough, maybe I can get my mates to turn the ship... The problem is not coming over, the problem is that I dont use turban, also I can some engklitsh, so cannot stay long enough.

Serious ly: If 100.000 were sold per year, then there was some ½million maxes on the road. Half in junkyard by now??? (There are some stats somewhere, arent there? NO not texas)
Old 06-09-2005, 11:00 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I wanna have a figure how many max ribs are there to scavenge, if its figure big enough, maybe I can get my mates to turn the ship... The problem is not coming over, the problem is that I dont use turban, also I can some engklitsh, so cannot stay long enough.

Serious ly: If 100.000 were sold per year, then there was some ½million maxes on the road. Half in junkyard by now??? (There are some stats somewhere, arent there? NO not texas)
You might be able to find that information here..http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/index.html
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
You might be able to find that information here..http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/index.html
...only corporate yen jargon with a ugly minivan pic.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Its a risk, Maximan190 did a swap from auto to 5speed and now, he had to buy a whole new tranny because it destroyed itself. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:46 PM
mod or sell?

texas has less VEs in it's yards because they don't rust as quickly/badly as they do up here in chi-town.
mind you, it's not unusual for there to be 4 of us at an intersection at the same time :P
Old 06-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I know when I lived in Chicago there were 3rd Gens everywhere. I bought mine in 99 when I was there for only $7200 with 45K miles out in downers grove. Maxima's are very popular there. Now in austin, there are a TON of VG's but no VE's. I know capital city had a huge line of 3rd gen's in their yard. 14 or 15 the last time I was there but the majority were VG's. I think they had one VE and all of the parts that were different were gone already.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 PM

D-sta: You're not being nice j/k thanks for the warning. wonder what happened to maximans trans..?

internetautomart: great idea, I can make lots of $$$ selling parts to wiking

wiking: I know that in sweden there were only 300 cars sold during 89-94 due to all nissan cars being sold under mercedes agency. maximas were a threat to mercedes as you could get a fully equipped, very luxurious car for the same amount you'd get a basic, 'empty' mercedes 300. so because of this there aren't too many of these cars here. but still... you could ask almost anyone if they know what a maxima is and they usually know, so it's actually a well respected car. great stuff, that means more money for me whenever I sell it

MyGreenMax94: about that fund, let me be the first to donate, then maybe I'll have my max for myself