3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

photo radar

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 06:15 PM

photo radar

hey guys, this is a little off the subject of 3rd gens, but it happened to me in my 3rd gen so I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice. I got a photo radar speeding ticket in the mail, and I've been told by many people that I could throw it away since it wasn't served to me. Can you guys give me advice or past experiences with these kind of tickets?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:33 PM

well ask them if they got one. I could sit here and tell you to throw it away because it wasn't served. But I never had one so I won't tell you that.

But you can do this... go to where they issued it from. And ask to see the calibration chart for the radar on that particular day. They HAVE to show it to you by law. If it wasn't calibrated, then you can fight it and say it that there was a chance it was inaccurate.

If they have it, pay it man. not too much you could fight on.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Talk to a local lawyer. Honestly, How do they know that it was you driving at the time of the photo??
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM
94c Big Max

damn, I didn't know such law exists! I know the patriot act allows undercop practices, I saw those guys all the time on the roads in just about every states I've drove thru. I didn't know cops got even more sneakier! how did they took the photo, from copper, another cops car, or some setup monitors? yeah, like that guy said it, how did they knew it was your car, did they got your liscense plate on photo? plus, which state did they took the photo? if it's was at another state other than the one you're residing, I wouldn't worry but talk to a lawyer to be sure cuz this is new to me. never heard about it.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:14 PM

well they got a sweet picture of my car.... and another picture of my face. Any other opinions? experiences? they were probably on the side of the road in a tinted full size van... peckers
Old 06-12-2005, 07:56 PM
I miss my VE

I'd check with a lawyer.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's possible ( tho not too damn likely) to beat these tickets, but on the average you'll spend a hell of a lot more fighting it. Try going for a "prayer for judgement" ie they basically tell you your a bad boy and not to do it again. ( ALERT insane NC laws!!!! ). I don't know if that is in the books in AZ but hey man really... How fast were you going? Were you blowing a light at the time? Either way, best of luck
Old 06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Way out West

OK, there are a few things you can do. I am not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice, but I have been issued a photo radar ticket that was dropped.

If the car is not registered to you and you are the one in the picture, you usually do not have to go to court. The picture has to match the photo ID of the person the car is registered to. They send this info along with the ticket. At least they do in Oregon. Please check the laws in your state.

If the car is registered to you and you plead not guilty, the judge will have a copy of the photo and he will be looking right at you. He will basically laugh and throw the book at you.

I received a photo radar ticket in the mail where the person that was driving was wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses. I sent a copy of my driver's license and told them that I was not the person driving my car, that I let other people that are not the registered owner borrow the car. I routinely let my roommates and family members borrow my vehicles.

If you are not telling the truth, it is considered purgery and you can be punished for this. My ticket was dropped, but I am in no way saying that you won't get in trouble if you are not telling the truth.

On another photo radar ticket, the cop hid the van behind a semi trailer right next to the sign that drops the speed from 35 to 25. About 30 people went to court, including me, complaining about how the officer "entrapped" drivers. The judge was sympathetic, but still conceded that we did in fact break the law. He lowered my ticket that was nearly $200 down to $30. However, the ticket was still on my record for five years.

Your best bet if the car is registered to you and the picture is very clear is to go to court and plead guilty, then tell the judge a good explanation to why you were above the legal speed limit. The officer is usually there to testify, but since he didn't talk to you in person, he has no idea. If you have a very good explanation (and a previously clean record) the judge will usually give you some kind of diversion or greatly reduce the fine.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM

See, this is one of those moments... "I wish i would have....". This maxima is mine, I made sure it was registered under my name, infact this is the first car I have ever registered in my name. I have never recieved a photo radar ticket before this... all my other cars were registered in my parents names. Sheesh go figure :P
Old 06-13-2005, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
OK, there are a few things you can do........
I appreciate all the advice, and it definately gives me something to think about. I'm pretty good at manipulating the situation, but this leaves me at should I ignore the ticket or go in and try and plead my case. On the ticket, they wrote this "Speed greater than reasonable and prudent"
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
....they wrote this "Speed greater than reasonable and prudent"
There is no radar with such a fairytale display: "Speed greater than reasonable and prudent". The radar gives only numbers: 75. If they havent got that, then their radar system did not produce it! What they reason about u smile - THAT is not evidence. They need a pic with speed stamp, otherwise cannot stick...

"They wrote"... cause the radar and/or picture stamp system was broken.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
There is no radar with such a fairytale display: "Speed greater than reasonable and prudent". The radar gives only numbers: 75. If they havent got that, then their radar system did not produce it! What they reason about u smile - THAT is not evidence. They need a pic with speed stamp, otherwise cannot stick...

"They wrote"... cause the radar and/or picture stamp system was broken.
This is why I like SD. They take you back to the cruiser so you can see what came up on the radar. Makes it harder to get out of tickets. Only 1 time was this not done, and I was going to fight the ticket because it was entrapment also. But I had to leave in 2 weeks for the desert.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
... for the desert.
We have now these speedtrap boxes on roadsides. Still, the pics record and show time, speed, car and possibly driver (Keep sunvisor down and driver face not seen...).

In ten yr time it will be direct charge from u account, via satellite. Also satellite control is used to drop engine rpm while u are trying to pass that truck if u go over speed limit: will be interesting when cars are coming and loose pwr...
Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Way out West

I would be careful. If you don't do anything, it is likely going to be just like a regular ticket -- they will put a bench warrant out for you on FTA. That means if an officer pulls you over for something else, he can arrest you and you would have to wait in jail until you take care of your ticket.

In most places, if an officer pulls you over, they will show you the radar readout if you request it. However, with photo radar, they have to wait until the pictures are processed. There is a guy sitting in the van, usually reading the paper or watching a movie on a portable dvd player. My dad is a retired police officer and one of his retired buddies was rehired (hourly pay only, no benefits -- still double dipping, though) to operate the photo radar van.

Wiking, I had a parking ticket from the city of Portland once about 5 years ago. I didn't pay it. The ticket was $16 for parking without a permit. They upped the fine to $50 since I didn't take care of it, then the next time my state taxes came around, the automatically deducted the $50 from my refund! Bastards.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:12 AM

Arizona is a hotbed of bad drivers and sneaky cops. They have cameras mounted at most intersections, at least around Phoenix. My advice to you is to buy one of those clear plastic license plate covers that reflects light when your car's picture is taken. They can't read your plate, so they can't mail you a ticket!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 AM

In my town (Winnipeg) all they do is mail it out to you with a little black and white picture of your car speeding through the intersection. Doesn't mater who was driving. If it's your car registered to you it's your ticket. I whent throug an intersection going the speed limit but some other guy speed throu. I fought that ticket and won as both of the cars where in the pic.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Hemphire
In my town (Winnipeg) all they do is mail it out to you with a little black and white picture of your car speeding through the intersection. Doesn't mater who was driving. If it's your car registered to you it's your ticket. I whent throug an intersection going the speed limit but some other guy speed throu. I fought that ticket and won as both of the cars where in the pic.
USA > Canada
Old 06-13-2005, 01:51 PM

We should all drive undercover if they are going to take our pictures then we all could deny it. Hat,glasses why not even a full faced helmet. Just food for thought........
Old 06-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Have all your passengers moon the camera as your driving through. Dont forget the saran wrap on you license plate. (does that even work?)
Old 06-13-2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hemphire
Dont forget the saran wrap on you license plate. (does that even work?)
Didn't you read what I just said?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Arizona is a hotbed of bad drivers and sneaky cops. They have cameras mounted at most intersections, at least around Phoenix. My advice to you is to buy one of those clear plastic license plate covers that reflects light when your car's picture is taken. They can't read your plate, so they can't mail you a ticket!
I have this on my RSX. I think those radar cameras are an invasion to my privacy!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Moved on to BMW's :(

If they sent you the ticket, and it's you, then pay it. THAT'S the best way to avoid any trouble. Judges LOVE to play with people who think they're smarter than the "system." If it's NOT you, then go to court and fight it. Very simple, really.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Didn't you read what I just said?
Well what do you know, My Wife was right. I am a moron
Old 06-14-2005, 11:11 AM

If you decide not to pay, interest and fines will be added until you're sent
a notice to appear in court.

I know this because a friend went through a similar situation, decided to throw the ticket away and ended up paying $842.70 or faced losing his license.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:25 AM

they put a warrant out for you if you dont pay. then youll have to go to court on that one as well.

and speaking of cameras, they just went through ohio law that they are not enough evidence to give a ticket and in order to get a ticket at a light you have to be seen by a cop running the red light. and toledo just threw a bunch of money into those cameras.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I miss my VE

Photo radar could be worse. I heard GM can track you with their OnStar feature and see if you broke the speed limit.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:53 PM

I consulted a lawyer, and he also told me to go, so I guess thats what I'll do. I don't think it'd be a very good idea to skip out since I have another court date on the 26th. *sigh* Thanks for all the advice guys. Dare I say what I'll do next? I'd hate to bring this subject up, but just for the record I think I may invest in a radar, so at the very least I can avoid stupid **** like this. (I think I'll be getting a valentine(i think thats it))
Old 06-14-2005, 03:09 PM

Valentine 1. The best out there. Prepare to spend some money though
Old 06-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
Photo radar could be worse. I heard GM can track you with their OnStar feature and see if you broke the speed limit.
That's why I don't buy GM... that and for the fact they haven't changed the dash design in the trucks for 10+ years now.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
They can track your car, but viewing that information for anything other than for customer service reasons is blatently against the onstar agreement. Pretty sure it's also illegal to let the cops use it other than for tracking a stolen car.
(have an 03 yukon xl)
Old 06-14-2005, 06:24 PM
94c Big Max

just curious cuz this topic is getting quite interesting.

1. What if you moved to another state and changed your car registration, & driver license? Are cops are allowed warrant to go after you?

2. Do those cameras got night vision on them?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
That's why I don't buy GM... that and for the fact they haven't changed the dash design in the trucks for 10+ years now.
That would be incorrect. Check your facts.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 PM

You should try the spray for your liscence plate...plastic covers discolor and get dirt trapped underneath them over time. I see an ad for the spray in the back of my Motor Trend every month.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:27 AM

A photo radar (unmanned) operates on the principle that it is on all the time and snaps a picture of cars travelling faster than a certain speed threshold. That information and a decent radar detector (I'm partial to Whistler, but you can pay more if you like) should help you defeat the purpose of most photo radar.

That, or some Groucho Marx "nose glasses" with the big fuzzy moustache so they can't tell who is driving.

In most states, it is illegal to obscure your license plate in any way (this includes plastic laser and photo defeating covers).

On the highway, I drive a reasonable (5 - 7 mph over) speed until some daredevil passes me. At this point, I speed up, keeping the faster car 100 yards or so ahead. Any less and you can get caught in the same trap. Any more and you can't tell if he's slowing down (making YOU the Patsy). With a radar detector this approach works 99% of the time.

If you find yourself the "Point" car in a group (the lead vehicle with no cars ahead or a large gap to the next group) you are a sitting duck. No radar detector is going to help you then. Go back to step one (wait for a faster car to pass you) and keep your money in your pocket.

When that car passes you, you should say to yourself: "There's my b***h!" and smile. OR, you can continue to speed away. I'll be waiting for you to pass me.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bvtran
just curious cuz this topic is getting quite interesting.
2. Do those cameras got night vision on them?
Here any camera has got a flash, works night&day; u know when youre caught. In UK they use also flashes only to scare u...

The current film tech cameras have good resolution, they can read any windshield security marking, take care, no license plate always needed. Sun visor down, and at the used camera angle those cannot get the drivers face (still needed here). Drive in the middle, Change lane, brake hard, if u find out the camera 'too late' or at last moment; cameras are quite limited in the view angle and use short distance, and uses no zoom.

Typically there is a sensor about 30feet before camera where it is fixed focused, look for the spot in the asphalt. Works night & day. Speed is taken by radar night & day before that spot, say 60-100feet before the camera. For camera shooters: don't shoot at the bulletproof the lense, camera is typically below ...with thin metal casing...

Known camera place is a good place to pass scared citizens as they slow down: on two lane road using the oncoming lane u can speed whatever, and cameras will never snap on u. But take care... the new digital ones may get u half mile away.

Summa summarum: dont speed.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:21 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
I got a photo radar speeding ticket in the mail, and I've been told by many people that I could throw it away since it wasn't served to me.
This depends largely on local law in your particular municipality/district. To throw it away would not be wise.