3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Pics from my boring day

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pics from my boring day

I actually worked on my cars today, so I figured I'd snap some pics

I was meaning to take before pics, but the batteries were dead and I didn't feel like finding some alkalines, so I let them charge for a while (Canon A80). I put the front struts back on the car and bolted some old 4th gen GXE wheels I had on it (will do the rear later). Included the standard milk crate shot. Also featured is the shipping department (ie. scale).

Picture of how the car has been sitting the past few days (read weeks ). Got the stock exhaust all back on, minus the Cat because I'm not sure if I want to bother swapping shifters.

Getting the rear struts put back together for my car, air hose knocked over the bottle of ATF I hate cleaning messes
Old 06-18-2005, 09:22 PM

Passenger side is all back together

All back to stock . Car's dirty because we pressure washed the driveway, time to clean it again, ugh. New axle's in the garage oh and thanks again Chris for the jack stands (and everything else) they aren't bad and they sure are handy
Old 06-18-2005, 09:22 PM

What's left of my fun parts :-( (well half of it anyway )

The brakes I never did install (maybe some day :-o). If you catch the box, it's empty, but the Mustang sure is faster

Thats pretty much all I got done today, still not sure about if I want to bother with the shifter. Then after that just need to spend some time under the hood... take off the ground kit, put the stock intake back on, put the stock flywheel and clutch back on. Then just remove the gauges, stereo wires and lastly the SAFC-II. I'm not even going to bother with the intake manifold, the next owner can have atleast one bonus with that.

Replacing an engine is so much easier than doing all this crap, ugh.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Way out West

You would have had a much better day if you had been in Woodburn watching me punk all of those Honduhs with my 4-door grocery getter
Old 06-18-2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
You would have had a much better day if you had been in Woodburn watching me punk all of those Honduhs with my 4-door grocery getter
This is when you make a thread called "Pics from my boring day" and post your pics
Old 06-19-2005, 05:14 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MrGone
Getting the rear struts put back together for my car, air hose knocked over the bottle of ATF I hate cleaning messes
2 words: Oil Dri
nice washer fluid bottle
Old 06-19-2005, 02:31 PM

i rather do that than swappin' motors and u saw what i went through with both my '89 and '93. don't know if u saw the finished product on the thread i started about me swappin' out my '89 motor and droppin' my '93 motor into my '89 and sendin' my '93 to the bodyshop. now i will be sellin' my '89 FINALLY!!! but i can see u had a rough day but i would have traded with u. u do the motors and i'll do the suspension work.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:38 PM

it must suck de modding a car
Old 06-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Damn thats a lot of work you've been doing. Must have been sad to see all that hard work comming off.

I didnt know 3rd gen struts were attached to the hub assembly
Old 06-19-2005, 04:23 PM

looks like stock 4th gen ride height.

why didnt you atleast try to sell that thing with all the goodies and see what you would have got?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax

why didnt you atleast try to sell that thing with all the goodies and see what you would have got?

i don't think that would help at all cuz the next buyer is gonna think that he drove the car hard constantly and would reconsider of buyin' the car off of him. so he's better off takin' off all the goodies and sell the car stock to make the buyer think that the mechanicals haven't been driven hard. plus he gets to keep his goodies and install in the next car or make his money back by sellin' it to someone else. that way the next person that owns his car doesn't go off tellin' people that the goodies that r on the car were that persons idea and not MrGone's. basically hijackin' MrGone's ideas and thats no fun cuz that just takes MrGone's creativity and uniqueness of his car which made it stand out from other 3rd gens. just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:59 PM

Well said, but personally I would much rather buy a car from someone like mrgone who knows how to work on and maintain his ride. I don't know about you guys, but I am not gonna excessively rag on or abuse my ride if I have money dumped into performance parts on top of everything else.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
it must suck de modding a car
thats the worst part
Originally Posted by MDeezy
Damn thats a lot of work you've been doing. Must have been sad to see all that hard work comming off.

I didnt know 3rd gen struts were attached to the hub assembly
it is
yeap. The whole bottom part is where the rear suspension comes together. Two rear links (camber and toe) come off a rear support and then there is a radius arm to keep the caster in check. I just take the rotors off because they just come off and it makes it lighter when your putting the whole housing back on the car. The fronts are just like a 4th gen though
Originally Posted by tripleGmax

lol.
Na you will pretty much never get any money back selling a car modded. I'd rather just sell it stock. Besides even if I did sell it modded, chances are the buyer would either never really enjoy it, or they would just abuse the hell out of it.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
i don't think that would help at all cuz the next buyer is gonna think that he drove the car hard constantly and would reconsider of buyin' the car off of him. so he's better off takin' off all the goodies and sell the car stock to make the buyer think that the mechanicals haven't been driven hard. plus he gets to keep his goodies and install in the next car or make his money back by sellin' it to someone else. that way the next person that owns his car doesn't go off tellin' people that the goodies that r on the car were that persons idea and not MrGone's. basically hijackin' MrGone's ideas and thats no fun cuz that just takes MrGone's creativity and uniqueness of his car which made it stand out from other 3rd gens. just my opinion.
exactly, thats the other reason. Kind of sounds selfish but I really dont want a complete stranger the car the way I had it. Really it was a part of me and just wouldn't seem right. I never did completely finish the car though which sucks but I got more than my fair share of fun and experience from it. I'm not about to tell the buyer that I drove it lightly (although I suppose I did compared to others here.... then again I'm still on the same engine and transmission I've had since day one ). Sure I've had a few spirited outbursts here and there but I never really ragged on the car, hell I've never even launched it. I'll tell you though, it's really in great shape. I guess that could explain why I've never had a stalling/knocksensor/typical VE "I wanna drive this car off a cliff because I cant figure this out" kind of problem. I wouldn't even have done all this but I just dont need it and would rather put all my focus on school.

Originally Posted by maxitech
Well said, but personally I would much rather buy a car from someone like mrgone who knows how to work on and maintain his ride. I don't know about you guys, but I am not gonna excessively rag on or abuse my ride if I have money dumped into performance parts on top of everything else.

I'm probably going to work on it some more tommarrow. I have the week off
Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 AM

Must suck going back to stock.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by D-sta
Must suck going back to stock.
your one to talk
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Geez how many cars do you own? lol
Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
I own 3
Old 06-20-2005, 12:55 PM

He owns nothing, I own him !!!!
Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 PM

3 cars! Not bad for a 20 yr old.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Way out West

yeah, except two of them are up on jack stands and the other one was built before he was born.

Actually, the white car is nice. It's partially my fault it's up on jack stands. We swapped suspension stuff and didn't have enough time to do the rears.

BTW Shawn, just tell me if you want me to send one or both of my IACVs for the black car when you get it back on the road.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Well I paid $1000 for my mustang almost 3 years ago. My Dad is a Real Estate Broker and one of his clients was moving, but the car wasn't. My Dad told me about it and I bought it . My White maxima I bought for $1450 and put almost over $2000 into it, almost all of that was preventitive maintence (put about $5000 into it for mods, ugh). I bought my Black 92 SE 5spd for $550 but haven't done anything to it yet. Am going to get it on the road as soon as the white one is gone.

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
yeah, except two of them are up on jack stands and the other one was built before he was born.

Actually, the white car is nice. It's partially my fault it's up on jack stands. We swapped suspension stuff and didn't have enough time to do the rears.

BTW Shawn, just tell me if you want me to send one or both of my IACVs for the black car when you get it back on the road.
bah just send them, then I wont have to wait a week lol.

White car is still on jackstands, but only because I dont want to take it down then have to put it back up. I think I'm gonna put the stock shifter back in, then I'll put it on the ground, drive it into the garage and put it back up and take the best mods out
Old 06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm needing a caw

Driver's cv boot is all messed up on the white maxima
Old 06-20-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Driver's cv boot is all messed up on the white maxima
woah!

good eye! I better fix that! Wanna come help

Old 06-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Beat me to the question. Are you a mechanic MrGone?? Just curious.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dtahsee
Beat me to the question. Are you a mechanic MrGone?? Just curious.
Nope I'm a geek

I just know how to work on cars
Old 06-20-2005, 07:44 PM

Nope I'm a geek

I just know how to work on cars
dont you just love being that way its great because you can really catch some people off gaurge with your knowlegde on both subjects most mechanics dont know **** about computers just like most computer people dont know what a fuel injector is to a spark plug. funny related story i "mobil tech" at bb and me and my fellow employees take advantage of the ACed install bay to work on our cars well the other day we were swaping intake manifolds on my buddies stang and one of the "geek squad" guys was down there barrowing a tool and pointed to the distributer and asked if it was the carb i just looked at my friend and started laughing. my friend being very rude sayed i think you better stick to computerss but i can think back to when i was 16 i was pretty much cluless also its funny how much you can learn in 5 years
Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Dysfunctional

What's left of my fun parts :-( (well half of it anyway )

The brakes I never did install (maybe some day :-o). If you catch the box, it's empty, but the Mustang sure is faster

Thats pretty much all I got done today, still not sure about if I want to bother with the shifter. Then after that just need to spend some time under the hood... take off the ground kit, put the stock intake back on, put the stock flywheel and clutch back on. Then just remove the gauges, stereo wires and lastly the SAFC-II. I'm not even going to bother with the intake manifold, the next owner can have atleast one bonus with that.

... is any of this stuff for sale???

Old 06-20-2005, 08:41 PM

It sucks you couldn't have worked out a fair deal with another org member that could appreciate it as much as you did.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
dont you just love being that way its great because you can really catch some people off gaurge with your knowlegde on both subjects most mechanics dont know **** about computers just like most computer people dont know what a fuel injector is to a spark plug. funny related story i "mobil tech" at bb and me and my fellow employees take advantage of the ACed install bay to work on our cars well the other day we were swaping intake manifolds on my buddies stang and one of the "geek squad" guys was down there barrowing a tool and pointed to the distributer and asked if it was the carb i just looked at my friend and started laughing. my friend being very rude sayed i think you better stick to computerss but i can think back to when i was 16 i was pretty much cluless also its funny how much you can learn in 5 years

The only bad part is when a friend calls you and says "My computers messed up, can you reinstall everything for me.... again" then you say sure bring it over. They call back with "my car wont start, whats wrong?"

The best part is when your talking about computers with a group of people, half of who you dont know, then someone starts talking about cars and you still know more than anyone else there
Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dysfunctional
... is any of this stuff for sale???
The sway bars and blehmco goodies. The axle goes on the car and the nitro fuel is for when I'm bored, but I dont think you were asking about that stuff heheheh

Originally Posted by maxitech
It sucks you couldn't have worked out a fair deal with another org member that could appreciate it as much as you did.
The only org members I talk to are either on the other side of the country or in Texas, almost all of them aren't looking for another car.

I just didn't even bother putting it up forsale modded because people would either say I'm crazy for how much I would want, which wouldn't be unreasonable but people are cheap as hell on this board, or those who are not and wanted a new car would have already told me they were interested in buying it, or already bought one from NismoOtto boy . Look at Cheocwa's car, he's asking $5000, no doubt it's worth it, but he will get tons of offers for anything but what he is asking and chances are slim that anyone will come through. It sucks but it's the way it is on this board.

Besides it's not like I am leaving the org or anything. I understand and appreciate what you are saying :-). I'll still try and help out the local guys as much as I can (I've helped Chris and Jeff with their cars as much as they've helped me ) and I've still got my black one to play with. It's kind of impossible for me to leave this place