3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Taking out injector

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 AM

Taking out injector

I'm in the process of replacing bad injector. Is it possible to pull it out without taking off the whole rail thing? It sits there pretty tight... What do I do? Turning and pulling?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:46 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

have in mind that you'll have to remove the whole intake on a vg in order to change an injector. Also, make sure you have a good screw driver to remove the two screws on the side because they are extremely soft and strip very easy. You don't have to remove the rail, just pull and twist.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by maximapitko
have in mind that you'll have to remove the whole intake on a vg in order to change an injector. Also, make sure you have a good screw driver to remove the two screws on the side because they are extremely soft and strip very easy. You don't have to remove the rail, just pull and twist.
Intake is already removed Pull and twist... Got it!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it can seem like it just doesnt come out. many have destroyed injectors pulling them out. just stay at it with extreme patience and dont use anything hard to grip them with. also make sure you have depressurized the fuel system.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:54 AM

not that I'm a pro, but I replaced three of those this morning on my VE. Lucky for me I had a good screw driver. I found that if you cant twist them out (impossible), two flathead screw drivers wedged from opposite sides, and then twist one will make them eventually pop out. just my two cents... be aware that I destroyed one trying to pull it out with vice grips
Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 AM

on the VE, I've removed the rear injectors on an engine that was not in a car... I had to pull the top piece off, but I don't remember exactly what was involved in doing that. Do you need to replace any gaskets after removing that top piece?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
not that I'm a pro, but I replaced three of those this morning on my VE. Lucky for me I had a good screw driver. I found that if you cant twist them out (impossible), two flathead screw drivers wedged from opposite sides, and then twist one will make them eventually pop out. just my two cents... be aware that I destroyed one trying to pull it out with vice grips
I don't care about saving the injector - it's dead anyway. I was actually going to apply vicegrips... Will try two-screwdriver trick.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its more important that you dont damage the seat or you will have one pita expensive leaky injector.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:50 PM

I just finished replacing 2 of my injectors last week (the leftmost bank). The lower one was the first to be done and it was a PITA. No matter how I twisted it back and forth with my large pliers, it wouldn't budge. I eventually got it out with 2 screwdrivers pushing it up on opposite sides but not before I broke the plastic top (no matter, I wasn't going to keep it anyways). For the top injector, I was expecting more of the same. Instead, after a few twists and a hard tug up, it came out without much struggle .

But yeah, no need to remove the fuel rail, though be careful with the hoses on the upper intake plenum. I was getting an air leak after I put everything back together and later found one of the hoses UNDER the part feeding into the throttle body came loose. Let's just say that's the hardest hose I've ever had to replace so far.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 AM

I got it out by twisting and pulling, with help of a screwdriver (how in the world did you guys managed to fit in there two! screwdrivers??? There is just no space around...). Anyway, it's out, replaced, and car is running nicely. I was too lazy to replace two intake manifold gaskets, and still car's running great now. No vacuum leak so far.
Thanks everybody!