3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine dimension question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

engine dimension question

I know this is not a very practical question, but just FMI - What are the dimension issues with swapping a VQ engine into the 3rd gen? Is it just the hood clearance or is it also the srut towers and/or front to back or depth? Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Just so you know, I have a Volvo that I am looking to hot-rod (custom V8 swap, etc.) and I want to see if any of the things I learn there will be applicable to my Maxima later on. I also want to get a later model Max in the future and keep my 3rd gen as a custom project. Thanks.

-Mrkanda
Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it should physically fit

getting it to is why no one on here has done it.

oh and search feature
Old 07-02-2005, 07:01 PM

there are no dimention or hood clearance issues with the VQ swap

the issue would be the completely different motor mount/xmember setup and the wiring/ecu shananagans

chances are if you could stuff a V8 into a volvo you could probobly swap a VQ into a 3rd gen although theres no guide to the VQ swap like the guides for V8s in volvos "many"
Old 07-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
there are no dimention or hood clearance issues with the VQ swap

the issue would be the completely different motor mount/xmember setup and the wiring/ecu shananagans

chances are if you could stuff a V8 into a volvo you could probobly swap a VQ into a 3rd gen although theres no guide to the VQ swap like the guides for V8s in volvos "many"
If you need a guide you shouldn't bother doing it in the first place

slow poke
Old 07-02-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
it should physically fit
That good news :-)

getting it to is why no one on here has done it.
That's why I would do all my homework first, and then only do it when I have the knowledge, time and money to. Otherwise I will just go with an NA build up (i.e. VG33E swap w/ Q45 pistons...), or VG turbo setup. Basically I want the most power I can get from a 3rd gen.

oh and search feature
I tried to, but it said that the feature had been temporarily disabled for registered members. I wonder what that means. It also said it should be possible for donating members, of which I am one, so I'm not sure what the problem is. It may be that since Jeff92se sent me on my 1-day vacation I wasn't reinstating properly. Any moderator want to look into it? Thanks.

-Mrkanda
Old 07-02-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
If you need a guide you shouldn't bother doing it in the first place
Well, honestly, I need a quide now to even know if it's theoretically possible in our cars. That's why I asked hypothetically. And it won't be in "the first place", but much later on when I have the knowledge and capacity to do it. I agree with you, that I should first get the knowledge and experience under my belt before I even seriously contemplate trying something like this. I should first do something practical like- finish bleeding my brakes!!! <:-)

slow poke
back atcha! ;-)
But seriously, the VG is pretty slow once it gets into the mid and top end. That's why I'm looking into other engine options. If you're refering to my progress on the .org or with the car, then all I have to say is, "slow and steady winds the race" and " Rome wasn't built in a day" - especiall without any "bloody money"! So, yes, it's taking a while, but the result will be fabulous!
Old 07-02-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrkanda
I tried to, but it said that the feature had been temporarily disabled for registered members. I wonder what that means. It also said it should be possible for donating members, of which I am one, so I'm not sure what the problem is. It may be that since Jeff92se sent me on my 1-day vacation I wasn't reinstating properly. Any moderator want to look into it? Thanks.

-Mrkanda
you just have to click OK then it will take you to the search page
everyone gets that message, but the non donating members are taken to a permission denied page.

I was calling Matt (subs) a slow poke