3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Which spark plugs to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 AM

Which spark plugs to get?

I'm currently experiencing a BAD putt-putt-putt sound from my exhaust. I've already replaced MAF and O2 sensor. I'll be putting a new Greddy SP exhaust on next week, and a new Warpspeed Y pipe and high flow cat next month. Exhaust needs to be replaced anyways because of holes, but is this a likely source of the problem or is bad spark plugs more likely? I put on Bosch 2 platinums a couple years back (before I knew better), as well as Bosch premium wires, cap and rotor. If group consensus is to replace plugs, which ones? I know NGK is the brand I need, but there are many variables... normal temperature, high temperature, V Power, another style(don't know what they're called but they have a needle sized contact), etc. I appreciate the insight of you all. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TommyT
... If group consensus is to replace plugs, which ...
Con sensus yess, but individual decision depending how u like & use u max...

I like the REAL conducting copper WIRES witk 1k resistors, NGK platinums = less work, runs best. NOPutputt...
Check out: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/12

Btw. Your cap may also be leaking...
Old 07-07-2005, 09:04 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....park+plug+part
Old 07-07-2005, 04:12 PM

Ok, I spent the $10 and replaced spark plugs this afternoon with NGK V Power plugs. No change, still get the rough putt-putt-putt. I pulled neg terminal on battery while doing this so computer would have fresh reset. Now what? I've read posts where people say spray laquer on the cap. Inside/outside/both sides? I appreciate the help.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check the cap and rotor for wear and cracks

check the resistance of your wires.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the V power plugs are very good, im actually going through the same problems and so far my putt putt hasnt gone away. im changing the cap soon and also getting an exhaust, but i really think its the muffler.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Ok, I spent the $10 and replaced spark plugs this afternoon with NGK V Power plugs. No change, still get the rough putt-putt-putt. I pulled neg terminal on battery while doing this so computer would have fresh reset. Now what? I've read posts where people say spray laquer on the cap. Inside/outside/both sides? I appreciate the help.

This may be a injector issue..
Old 07-07-2005, 05:40 PM

i think it is a fuel injector for the vg engine,

because my car use to putt putt before my fuel injector was change and no more putt putt after the fuel injector was replaced so no more putt putt from the tail pipe,
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

a muffler is not going to fix the putt putt thing either

my friends VG does that aswell, not really sure what is causing it
Old 07-07-2005, 07:14 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
i think it is a fuel injector for the vg engine,

because my car use to putt putt before my fuel injector was change and no more putt putt after the fuel injector was replaced so no more putt putt from the tail pipe,

my VE had the same issues, and injector replacement fixed em
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar

and injector replacement fixed em
Mmmmm, sounds expensive. That might need to wait a while. Guess I'll get my book out and see if its something I dare tackle myself. Exhaust comes first though.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:31 AM

Ok, I ...say spray laquer on the cap. Inside/outside/both sides? I appreciate the help.
This is dirt CHEAP, do all these before anythin else:

All sides that it may leak = both sides. There may be cracks through it or only one side. Tape on 'electrodes' first...

...and DIY THE WIRES. Next DO the distr & other grounding wires, check voltage levels: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/10
Old 07-08-2005, 01:22 AM

If it shows to be an injector issue, do what I did before doing anything else:

Get some X1-R and run at least 3 tanks. That solved my injector problem and there's a good chance it might yours to.

X1-R is a fuel additive that's used by the best. NASA developed it for their 'Crawler'. Koenigsegg uses them for their cars (Only the fastest production car ever!) so it's well tested stuff, and I'm telling you, it does wonders for your engine. Not only does it clean out build-ups and dirt, it also raises the octane level of your gas so the car will be more alert. More HP
Old 07-08-2005, 04:18 AM

where do you get X1-R
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by jp55soul
where do you get X1-R
http://www.x1r.com/

...I'd be careful using any stuff used on that flying tile-scaffolding - built on cheapest bids. But if my mate suggests tHat, what can I say?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
http://www.x1r.com/

...I'd be careful using any stuff used on that flying tile-scaffolding - built on cheapest bids. But if my mate suggests tHat, what can I say?
Not to worry... I'm not the only one who has tested it. All I can say is if there ever was a wonder-potion for cars then this is it. Under just one circumstance: Do not overfill with this stuff coz you'd have a race car for about 5 mins before the engine blows

Maybe you should try it for your old Jeep Wiking, might do wonders
Old 07-08-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Phatsta
... try it for your old Jeep ...
It won the *****, but can it withstand this?

But on the max putputt issue: I'd also try these snake oils before injector replacement, not on healthy engine.

One of my friends believes that one xr oil additive saves gas 5-10%... cannot but wonder as friction (where oil has some pwr over) is less that 0.5%. Either the xr -snakeoil is better than promised, or I am an ol fool hillybilly... I feel like the latter.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
It won the *****, but can it withstand this?

One of my friends believes that one xr oil additive saves gas 5-10%...
I can't see why it'd hurt..?

What the fuel additive does is to clean out anything that is not metal, or so I've understood anyway. don't know exactly how it works but to my knowledge nothing bad can come out of it.

But the oil additive, that's a different story. The oil additive is suppose to rebuild the cylinder walls with a thin layer of I-don't-know-what-it-is, which results in lowered friction, less heat, less resistance and therefore is suppose to increase gas milage. But with old engines that has run half a lifetime, I'd say it's up to the owner to risk tinker with such additives. I've tried the oil additive as well and the only thing I noticed was that the valve lifters stopped ticking earlier than usual (during oil pressure build-up) so I can't see anything wrong with it. But as I said, it's up to the owner to decide.

My dad poured some of the oil additive into our air compressor and the old pice of s**t actually went almost silent , from being in the same level as an airplane or something so it must have some good effects.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Phatsta
...My dad poured some of the oil additive into our air compressor and the old pice of s**t actually went almost silent , from being in the same level as an airplane or something so it must have some good effects.
Is it still plugged to wall outlet? ...yes I know some good stuffs, but just know whattodo and how to växla.

Well, jeep is so tired its been retired and he stands instead, seen here at my södra cal ranch...:
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 AM

hey do you think the redline stuff will work just as well as X1-R
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jp55soul
hey do you think the redline stuff will work just as well as X1-R
Have no idea, haven't tested any Redline products. But I do know the STP products leaves a lot of stuff behind when it gets burnt. X1-R doesn't. Test it yourself: Pour a little additive on a spoon and set it on fire. Let it burn out and see what's left on the spoon. That'll give you an idea of what product is the better.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:20 AM

Red Line

Couldn't find the X1-R locallly, so picked up a bottle of Red Line complete fuel system cleaner. I'll report on results in a couple of weeks. I have used their "water wetter" in the past with good ressults.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 AM

We don't have X1-R locally either, but I put some Techron fuel system cleaner in. The local mechanics and parts stores swear by this stuff. Better be good for $12 a bottle. I already use Mobil One synthetic oil, no need for oil additives in my opinion.