3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Max Broke Down(Very Weird) - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 PM

one question: how long had that TB been there? for how many miles I mean, do you know?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Phatsta
one question: how long had that TB been there? for how many miles I mean, do you know?
No clue. Previose owner told me it was recently changed when I bought the car at 84K. Now at 119K, I figured I would take his word for it, save some more money, and get around to replacing it. I guess I was too late. Need to be careful on who you can trust. Why do you ask? Looks very old?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know man, the timing belt looks pretty new, the teeth are pretty new, and there are no visible crack on the belt, no glazing either. Looking at the picture, I'm thinking that the mechanic who did it last did not tensioned it right, but then that brings another problem, if it wasn't tensioned right, wouldn't it snapped cam sprocket first, before self destructing itself?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:57 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by disgruntled
I don't know man, the timing belt looks pretty new, the teeth are pretty new, and there are no visible crack on the belt, no glazing either. Looking at the picture, I'm thinking that the mechanic who did it last did not tensioned it right, but then that brings another problem, if it wasn't tensioned right, wouldn't it snapped cam sprocket first, before self destructing itself?
Yeah, I have no clue why it would snap like that. Probably was just too old. I did drive her hard for the majority of ownership. Maybe that could be a reason. I don't know. Maybe the camera's flash makes it look a bit newer then it really is.

Anyway... To the rest of you......

I wanna pull the heads tommorrow. It doesn't need to be perfect, since Im probably going to get rid of the car anyway. Just wanna take a look at the damage I have done. Who knows, maybe I got lucky. Anyway, I got the FSM, but they don't say how to take it off step by step. Does anybody have any hints on performing a job like this, so I wouldn't end up taking off a million unnessacary things at once, and leaving myself clueless on where those freakin hoses go? Basically, whats the easiest way to check the damage I have done when my timing belt snapped is what I wanna know. Rip off the intake manifold, etc? If there is too much to list, forget it. I'll figure it out myself. I just don't know how hard it can be, since Im a first timer. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:03 PM

Sorry, about you timing belt man I know that it sucks. If I had seen this tread sooner would have told you that was exactly what it was, because it happened to me on a 93 ply. laser. it had f***ed up the heads bad, but I got em reworked and the car ran GREAT for about 3 more months and then the 2nd cylinder came apart on me i guess from the valves hitting into it so that is something you might want to think about if you do decide to keep the car. I spent like 600 for that work and then another 1800 for a new motor. BTW the Haynes book will tell you how to remove the cylinder heads.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Burn MF Burn
Sorry, about you timing belt man I know that it sucks. If I had seen this tread sooner would have told you that was exactly what it was, because it happened to me on a 93 ply. laser. it had f***ed up the heads bad, but I got em reworked and the car ran GREAT for about 3 more months and then the 2nd cylinder came apart on me i guess from the valves hitting into it so that is something you might want to think about if you do decide to keep the car. I spent like 600 for that work and then another 1800 for a new motor. BTW the Haynes book will tell you how to remove the cylinder heads.
Yeah man, you live and you learn. I just wish I was more responsible about these things by actually taking care of them before the consequences catch up to me. So when you took off the heads, the pistons looked fine, and just fell apart later on a few months later? Thats something to also think about, if I feel like bringing her back to life. Im really looking for the right VE if you know what I mean. Anyway... I don't have the Haynes, book but I have something better then that. The job is pretty straight forward, right? Just take off and see? Nothing to drain?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 PM

no there really nothing to drain,

except the oil,

just follow through the steps and you will be fine,
Old 08-08-2005, 11:45 PM

take a look at the heads and see how bad it is. Then take it to the desert (where I live) and blow it up. Don't forget to invite me. Then you can get a VE 5-spd

... if you decide to revive it good luck
Old 08-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
take a look at the heads and see how bad it is. Then take it to the desert (where I live) and blow it up. Don't forget to invite me. Then you can get a VE 5-spd

... if you decide to revive it good luck
Only if I can get your VE 5spd for free afterwords, sure why not?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 AM

yea, you will see some damage to the valves maybe, maybe not and the pistons looked fine i didnt see where they were hit or anything but if you come across a good ve for the right price yank out the vg and drop it in
Old 08-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Burn MF Burn
yea, you will see some damage to the valves maybe, maybe not and the pistons looked fine i didnt see where they were hit or anything but if you come across a good ve for the right price yank out the vg and drop it in
I don't know.. Too much headache. Plus I want the 5spd. Easier to get the VE as a whole.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 PM

you dont just drop in a VE into a VG shell.......
Old 08-09-2005, 02:43 PM

I know that I was just saying if he was going to keep the shell and put a ve motor in it to go for it. Or just get a GooD new used car ooooh K!!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I miss my VE

Damn, Im stuck...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see it's stripped. Anybody know how I can get that out? I really don't have a drill or anything. Also those bolts are on really tight that the ratchet wasn't enough. Had to use the torque wrench. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:49 PM

you should be spraying a pentreating oil, like liquid wrench or PB blaster when removing old rusted bolts like the one above. If you dont have a drill, and dont plan on getting one, the only thing i can think of is some vise-grips. But you should spray some PB Blaster first, on those bolts and tap with a hammer before trying to remove in the first place.
you are using a 6mm hex socket right...not a regular allen wrench.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by aminus21
you should be spraying a pentreating oil, like liquid wrench or PB blaster when removing old rusted bolts like the one above. If you dont have a drill, and dont plan on getting one, the only thing i can think of is some vise-grips. But you should spray some PB Blaster first, on those bolts and tap with a hammer before trying to remove in the first place.
you are using a 6mm hex socket right...not a regular allen wrench.
Is WD40 good enough?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:37 PM

no WD-40 is not a penetreating oil. use PB Blaster, or atleast liquid wrench. PB Blaster really works, I sprayed it in a styrofoam cup, and it melted it down..strong stuff.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:18 AM

I don't know about the other side of the bolt, but from what I can see, the bolt is only stripped at the top, and the bottom of the hex bit hole is still in good condition. May I ask what hex bit did you use to remove that bolt? When I replaced my valve cover gasket, I got those bolts loose on my first try with a 6mm hex bit and a regular craftsman ratchet. I know the bolts on my intake manifold cover were on there since the day the car was assembled, and this is a northeast car, so rust is a problem. I don't know if my reply had helped you some, but it's from my personal experience.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by disgruntled
I don't know about the other side of the bolt, but from what I can see, the bolt is only stripped at the top, and the bottom of the hex bit hole is still in good condition. May I ask what hex bit did you use to remove that bolt? When I replaced my valve cover gasket, I got those bolts loose on my first try with a 6mm hex bit and a regular craftsman ratchet. I know the bolts on my intake manifold cover were on there since the day the car was assembled, and this is a northeast car, so rust is a problem. I don't know if my reply had helped you some, but it's from my personal experience.
If you look carefully on that pic, the left inner portion looks completely rounded out. Sorry I didn't get it from all angles. Anyway, I did used the 6mm hex bit. I think my cool mechanic overtorqued them with his air tools when he was doin my injectors, so I can understand why the ratchet wasn't good enough.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:03 PM

get a pair of vise grips on that puppy as mentioned before. Those things are invaluable!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you can get a Vice Grip on it, you might be able to crack it loose. (as mentioned). this is what end up doing on all of the injector cap screws.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz

Well, what can I say? Unfortunatly it was the timing belt afterall.

Yesteraday, as I was troubleshooting, the reason why I would only get spark from one of the wires is because the distributer was stuck in that one position that gives spark to that specific wire. The distributer won't rotate if the timing belt isn't there, is the conclusion me and my friend came to. Also, as I kept cranking, we heard a crazy whistle come out of the engine bay. We figured it was a bent valve not sealing. Super fast cranking as well gave me another reason to think it would be the timing belt. But I had to see it to believe it. To be sure, I went in this morning. Above is what I found.

Oh, and one more thing.. For those who knew, thank you very much for letting me know that I wouldn't need to do all that crap that I posted on doing, which I copied out of my FSM, just to get a sneak peek at my timing belt. Cool, I was actually about to do all of that stuff too.

To get a glimpse of my T-belt, all I needed to do was remove engine under covers, drain the coolant, remove the upper radiator hose, the one next to it, loosen some mounted hoses to get my hands close to the belt cover, remove most of the bolts of upper T-belt cover(major PITA.. couldnt even reach the one on the lower right no matter what I tried) And finally, just bent the cover a bit out of the way to reveal my nice shiny naked sprockets with a torn T-belt hangin out right over them. I knew I shoulda replaced the belt when I had a chance.

Well, thanks alot for all the help/feedback guys. As always, much appreciated.

P.S.- Is it a 100% thing, that when the T-belt breaks, my engine is finished? And yes, I've cranked it many times after the incident.
Yeah I feel your pain. My timing chain on my 92 SE Max popped while I was on the freeway. Link popped up and split the head and oil came glushing out everywhere!!!! I had only had the the thing for 6 months!!! I'm trying to get another 1 now. So which Max's have timing chainz, and which has timing belts?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 PM
mod or sell?

if it's 24 valve DOHC it's a chain
if it's SOHC it's a belt
Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I miss my VE

VE chains can pop!?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:27 AM
mod or sell?

VE chains can pop!?
of course they can. but expect them to be making noise first
Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
of course they can. but expect them to be making noise first
Yep exactly, I did not take heave to the ticking noise it was making. It was the link that came apart and was hitting the head everytime it turned! Man I opened my hood and oil was over everything. I opened up the head and sure enough actually to links had came un done!!! Oh Crape!!!

R.I.P

Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I miss my VE

Damn.. What mileage did that happen at?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Damn.. What mileage did that happen at?
It was at 216,000. So I guess it was about that time. I heard the ticking sound it was making like in the mornings, but I didn't pay much attention.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by camron21
It was at 216,000. So I guess it was about that time. I heard the ticking sound it was making like in the mornings, but I didn't pay much attention.
A ticking sound that wasn't VTC related? How confusing...
Old 08-11-2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by aksansai
But enough teeth jumped will prevent your motor from starting (lack of compression when fire is lit). It would explain the starter moving without turning the motor over. Check it, replace it, and drive it.

What? No matter what, if the starter spins the engine will spin as long as it's engaging. The starter not turning the mill over will have nothing to do with the belt, Unless you're hitting the valves and is seized!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 AM

A ticking sound that wasn't VTC related? How confusing...
Yeah, the ticking sound was the sound of that loose link hitting on the head cover as the chain spent!! It sucks, because I knew something was up, but not to that extreme!!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by camron21
Yeah, the ticking sound was the sound of that loose link hitting on the head cover as the chain spent!! It sucks, because I knew something was up, but not to that extreme!!
But you also felt it coulda been the VTC's, right?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:38 AM

Man, those GM chains are snapping left and right. So when your valves slammed the pistons, weren't your pistons also damaged?
No, they aren't snapping left and right. LT1 and ESPECIALLY LS1 chains are VERY sturdy. But like I said, i forgot to put the harmonic balancer back on when i was doing the UDP and the crankshaft was just vibrating itself to death when i would drive it.
And as far as the pistons go, they just got nicked a little. It was no biggie. Everything was fine.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:56 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
No, they aren't snapping left and right. LT1 and ESPECIALLY LS1 chains are VERY sturdy. But like I said, i forgot to put the harmonic balancer back on when i was doing the UDP and the crankshaft was just vibrating itself to death when i would drive it.
And as far as the pistons go, they just got nicked a little. It was no biggie. Everything was fine.
The reason why I figured they snap often is cause another guy a few pages back mentioned his Buick chain snapped as well.

So your pistons took the hit well, eh? What kind were they? Steel/Alum?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater

How exactly did you drive it without a balancer?????????? Didn't you notice that there were no pulleys for the belts? I'm just asking cause I think it would be pretty obvious?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Red89maxima
How exactly did you drive it without a balancer?????????? Didn't you notice that there were no pulleys for the belts? I'm just asking cause I think it would be pretty obvious?
the UDP should be a replacement for the harmonic balancer , I'd think.
so that whole deal still doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:04 AM

my max did the same thing adn it was the damn ENG CONT fuse my o2 kept making it blow it was the weirdest thing ever but after i replaced the fuse it started right up
Old 08-15-2005, 05:55 AM

But you also felt it coulda been the VTC's, right?

Yeah, and I guess that's another reason I didn't take heave to the noise it was making right away.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the UDP should be a replacement for the harmonic balancer , I'd think.
so that whole deal still doesn't make sense to me.
The original crank pulley is also the harmonic balancer (LT1's are externally balanced unlike the VE which is balanced internally), So the original pulley gets mounted on at the same time with the new UDP since the UDP doesn't weigh enough to balance the cranckshaft. It's called a "piggy back" design.(weird). I didn't know this at first so i just left the old pulley off and drove around with the small one. It's kinda hard to explain over the net; very easy to illustrate up close and personal.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Red89maxima

Keep in mind I was 19 when I had my LT1 camaro and I thought i knew it all.

Quick Reply: Max Broke Down(Very Weird) - Please Help