3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

converting auto to 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 12:58 PM

I'm not going to do this, but I was just wondering if any ones done this or ever heard of it being done. I've got quite a few friends that have converted there 4x4s from auto to stick, and the other way around, wasn't too hard, lots of custom fabbed brackets, but other than that bolt on.

Can a Maxima be converted, or is everything so different that a new car would be cheaper?
Old 05-23-2001, 01:07 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

From what I know...

2 or 3 guys have done this to their 3rd gens...I think the prices were $2k+. if you can find someone to do it for around $2k+/- than thats a good price considering new auto trans usually range from $1.5-2.5k.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:16 PM
STFU n00b!

it's possible, but there's a lot of work involved. a few guys have done it. I've researched it. you'll basically need a donor car to steal all the parts from, because you'll need a bunch of stuff from various places in the car. if the 4x4s you talked about have a hydraulic clutch, you'll begin to understand the process.

the firewall also has to be modified for some reason or another.. kaleb has looked at the differences in the parts manuals, and there is a different part around the firewall with a big hump in it. basically, an auto firewall and a sledgehammer will work.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:49 PM
Ford Only.

I talked to Need4pwrmax before he had this done.All used parts for about 2.5K.He told me it wasnt worth it unless you have someone that knows what they are doing.Or it will never be the same again.I would say if you want to have it done look at spending around 3K and it should be alright.I think if my tranny goes again I will definately look into this.My freind quoted me 2.5K to do this.He has done this to Civics and Saturns but never a Nissan.I dont know if I can trust him.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:50 PM

the pedal assembly usually is the biggest PITA when converting to a stick. How does the transmission hook up to the axle? Still havent gotten around to looking under the car. is it just a driveshaft? and does the stick go in the same console area as the auto shifter, or is that different too?
Old 05-23-2001, 01:59 PM
Ford Only.

Iam pretty sure you will need a new axle.Because about 2 months ago I was searching for a new axle for my auto.And every place I called needed to know if it was a 5 speed or an auto.And I asked one guy "Is there a difference or what"He said "I really dont know a difference but I am sure there is maybe it is a little longer I dont know"So that is all I know.
Old 05-23-2001, 02:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

1) If you have to ask these types of questions and you want to do the conversion yourself, forget it. You will probably get into a big mess.
2) If are curious about the conversion but are going to hire someone to do it, forget it. The cost to hire someone + the parts will exceed the practicality of this swap.

Sell the auto and get a 5-sp maxima. It's faster, easier and probably cheaper.

Originally posted by The Flem
the pedal assembly usually is the biggest PITA when converting to a stick. How does the transmission hook up to the axle? Still havent gotten around to looking under the car. is it just a driveshaft? and does the stick go in the same console area as the auto shifter, or is that different too?
Old 05-23-2001, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
1) If you have to ask these types of questions and you want to do the conversion yourself, forget it. You will probably get into a big mess.
2) If are curious about the conversion but are going to hire someone to do it, forget it. The cost to hire someone + the parts will exceed the practicality of this swap.

I'm not going to do this anytime soon, but theres a first time for everything, and rule #2 goes against my beliefs. My toys never go to the shop.
Old 05-23-2001, 04:57 PM

Here is Need4pwr's site. I believe he sold his max, at least he was trying to.

http://www.redlineautoworks.com/smx/
Old 05-23-2001, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

I agree.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a 98 Eclipse GT-R with a stick and loved it but I must admit, I am glad that my 94 GXE is an auto. Most of my driving is in town and that shifting with the Eclipse always got on my friggin' nerves. I would rather have a stick if I plan on doing a lot of in-town racing but I have since grown out of that phase. Just a tad. Well, maybe not. I want a 2K Max SE stick. I want to beat the crap out of this ricey, hopped-up Honda in town. I hate Hondas!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 12:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Eclipse GT-R?????

who makes hat one?

Originally posted by C-Dawg
I had a 98 Eclipse GT-R
Old 05-24-2001, 05:35 PM

Re: Eclipse GT-R?????

Originally posted by DA-MAX
who makes hat one?

Let me explain. A friend of mine had a 98 Eclipse GSX. Is was a all wheel drive turbo edition of the Eclipse. It had 210 horsepower stock. Well, he didn't like the name GSX and he was really into Hondas, so he at first changed all the badging with that from a Mustang GT. So, at that point the car was a "Eclipse GT." Since he liked Hondas (as mentioned a sec ago), he added the R (for that whole Type R crap). Anyway, he went into the military and could not take it with him, so I bought it from him. It was only 6 months old at the time. He paid roughly $20K for it and I bought it from him for $12k. A steal really. I needed another car because the truck I had (72 Chevy -Sweet) was about on its last leg. I never added anything to the car and anytime someone asked what type of car I drove, I told them a GT-R. When asked what the crap I was talking about basically I said it was an Eclipse Racing Edition. That car could spank a lot of rides too. But let me tell you, I was sad to see it go (damn deer), but I enjoy my Max even more.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:43 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

OHHHHHH.....

so bascially it was a "riced out" Eclipse, now I get it!! yeah turbo'd Eclipses are quick, my freind has a '95 GST, he just got a boost controller and plans to take the PSI up to 15 this summer, thats one fast little car...you can easily get mid 13's and around 300hp off just bolt-ons!
Old 05-25-2001, 07:04 AM

Re: OHHHHHH.....

Originally posted by DA-MAX
so bascially it was a "riced out" Eclipse, now I get it!! yeah turbo'd Eclipses are quick, my freind has a '95 GST, he just got a boost controller and plans to take the PSI up to 15 this summer, thats one fast little car...you can easily get mid 13's and around 300hp off just bolt-ons!
Yeah I guess you can say it was riced. I just don't like the idea of driving a riced vehicle. That GT-R (GSX) was a fast sumb!tch. I usually associate rice with Hondas, Toyotas, and Uncle Ben's. Not an Eclipse. Although, like you said, you can hit over 300hp with just bolt ons. Get some NOS and a few extras and you can boost the heck outta those things.