3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My VE(many pics - beware 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
I miss my VE

My VE(many pics - beware 56k)

Finally got around to buying one. Enjoy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I miss my VE

Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM

nice and clean. plus its a 5 spd!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I miss my VE

Got her for $2200 with 136K miles. VTC's clacking hear and there unfortunatly, but everything else seems great. As you can see, it's very clean. Something not found in NY, so I had to make a few runs to NJ to get it. Man, you sub-urb guys keep your cars clean. Also the shifter and steering wheel could use a bit of work, but thats later on. You can tell just by looking/driving the car how much the last(and only) owner loved this car. There is definatly an unexplainable difference going from a VG Auto to a VE 5spd. It's like it's not even the same car. Simply amazing. To tell you the truth, I still havn't even floored it, because Im scared I'll be disapointed But so far, it's been an awesome experience. Soon I'll be putting in some Brembo Blank rotors with some Metal Master Pads I got from Brian(internetautomar) all around that I had set up for the GXE but as some of you may know, she suffered timing belt failure. Check em out...

So tommorrow, I'll probably be getting that Toyota oil filter everyones been raving about since ours was discontinued. If any of you VE guys can give me some other advice on what to look out for with these engines, I definatly wouldn't mind.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM

Hot! Looks like you got a good deal... Nice and clean.. Welcome to the black VE5 club...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Tom

Nice car! Really good condition.

Just one question.

In the brake rotor pic, the rotor on the right is a 4-lug rotor.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
I miss my VE

Thanks for the compliments guys

Oh crap! Thats a very good question Tom. Thank you.. Whats up with that Brian?
I can't believe I missed that.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Way out West

Bah, No Leather, No Care...

Just kidding. The car looks super straight and clean. The original buyer went for all the safety stuff, with airbag and ABS, which were $500 options each in 92.

I recommend an AE shift **** when you get around to buying a new one. It really completes the interior look and it screws on just like a regular one. You might also keep your eye out for some foglights.

My only advice on the VE engine is to change the oil regularly. That's about all you can do.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Bah, No Leather, No Care...

Just kidding. The car looks super straight and clean. The original buyer went for all the safety stuff, with airbag and ABS, which were $500 options each in 92.

I recommend an AE shift **** when you get around to buying a new one. It really completes the interior look and it screws on just like a regular one. You might also keep your eye out for some foglights.

My only advice on the VE engine is to change the oil regularly. That's about all you can do.
Heh, leather.. Used leather from the 90's just isn't my thing. I AM lookin forward to that leather interior package with the AE shift **** though. The one that awsm66 installed, which Pervis owns now. Is there anything that car doesn't have? HUD, Digi Climate Control.. Hopefully in the near future, if Im lucky, I can track all those down and add a few fun features of my own.

As for the fog lights.. Im still wondering where they went. Are these cars pre-wired for them or they just all had standard foggers? Cause I noticed the lower lip is different on the SE then my GXE. Theres cut outs made just for the fog lights, unlike my GXE, where I had to make those cut outs myself.

Finally the oil.. This will actually be my 2nd hands on oil change, so I really don't know what oil to get. I know the FSM says one thing, but everyone else at "AutoZone" recommended like 10w40 because it's a high mileage engine. What do you think I should go for?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
To tell you the truth, I still havn't even floored it, because Im scared I'll be disapointed
really? i always floor it when i take a car on a test drive

i always thought used cars on the east coast went cheaper...all the rust and stuff.

anyways, yeah, it looks clean. better than the one in your sig i never really did get that, since you had a vg before.

and, yes, they're all prewired for fogs. if the wires are still intact, you can just buy some aftermarket lights and plug them in. if not, just splice into the factory wires.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looking really clean for an East coast car! Congrats on the purchase.

If you decide to change the pedals along with the shift ****, the AE pedal covers and 350Z footrest really complement the AE shift ****. You can see how they look on my cardomain page. Also, Castrol GTX 10W-40 and the Toyota filter really do a good job of keeping the VTCs quiet. I've been using both since I bought my VE, and the VTC sort of "tell" me when oil change time is near. In other words, they get a little noisy about 3-500 miles before the oil change is due.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by es_amixam
If you decide to change the pedals along with the shift ****, the AE pedal covers and 350Z footrest really complement the AE shift ****.
yeah the car he mentioned has them as well plus a nice ebrake handle that matches and ebrake boot

Nice car Joe...good luck on the modding and have fun with it.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:14 AM
Way out West

The SEs came standard with foglights, so it should be prewired, unless the previous owner did something drastic.

If you want fog lights, just start digging through the 3rd gen parts for sale section and asking guys with parts cars. That, or go to some junk yards. If you find a decent set of them (no rust) you can get replacement lenses from courtesy. Also, remember that they are side specific -- make sure to get one L and one R, not two lefts or two rights.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:41 AM

The SEs came standard with foglights, so it should be prewired, unless the previous owner did something drastic.

If you want fog lights, just start digging through the 3rd gen parts for sale section and asking guys with parts cars. That, or go to some junk yards. If you find a decent set of them (no rust) you can get replacement lenses from courtesy. Also, remember that they are side specific -- make sure to get one L and one R, not two lefts or two rights.
or you just go to like autozone and get brand new ones that look pretty close to what ours look like.

hey joe Fontinyatz are you gonna transfer some of your mods to your new car??? i like the blue in your old one, it is a shame. saturday im tackling the timing belt saga. wish me luck. ohh and MY MAXIMA FINALLY LIVES!!!!!!! dam that SOB has sone ***, well i think and it is only a VG auto i want a VE 5spd now!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:04 AM
mod or sell?

your car doesn't have the ultra rare 4 lug wheel on the rear only option????

is the other rear rotor correct? they may have been boxed wrong.
I'll get you another one once you let me know about the other one.
also let me know what part # is printed in the box.

Thanks for the compliments guys

Oh crap! Thats a very good question Tom. Thank you.. Whats up with that Brian?
I can't believe I missed that.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:37 AM

your coolant level looks low.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:51 AM

dam, we love to pick other ppl's cars apart....LOL i always do the same he he
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
dam, we love to pick other ppl's cars apart....LOL i always do the same he he
dont get me started on this post....

"...ohh and MY MAXIMA FINALLY LIVES!!!!!!! dam that SOB has sone ***, well i think and it is only a VG auto i want a VE 5spd now!"

you make no sense in it at alll

and how did i pick on his car?? i just said fluid looked low.

its a really clean looking max. suprised there are no swirl marks in it.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:10 PM

wow identicle to my car in every way except mine is no longer that cherry
Old 08-17-2005, 02:56 PM

HThe one that awsm66 installed, which Pervis owns now. Is there anything that car doesn't have?
Hmm... Well it doesn't have ABS. Also, just put a Fidanza on it w/ an Exedy Stage 1 clutch. No test drive until at least Tuesday. Waiting on a CV axle.

Congrats on the VE. Take it out, get to about 4k in 2nd, and floor it. Mine makes me smile whenever I do this. When these cars are properly maintained, they really are still very quick cars. I am driving around in a 2005 Mazda 6 auto right now. 220hp, variable valve timing. It has nowhere near the top end of my VE. It is decent until about 65mph, then the VE would pull on it hard.

Enjoy the car!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:40 PM

Very, very nice. A one owner car is great to find. And trust me (and everyone else)--It wants to be floored. It NEEDS to be floored!!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:46 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by maximal
really? i always floor it when i take a car on a test drive

i always thought used cars on the east coast went cheaper...all the rust and stuff.

anyways, yeah, it looks clean. better than the one in your sig i never really did get that, since you had a vg before.

and, yes, they're all prewired for fogs. if the wires are still intact, you can just buy some aftermarket lights and plug them in. if not, just splice into the factory wires.
Hey, I just started drivin stick and getting to know the car, so I'll wait a bit for spirited driving. Like once you've floored it, it's just not the same anymore. Cause you know what the car can do. I will very soon though

Better then the one in my sig? Wow, what a compliment. That car isn't even real, hehe. I just had the VE sig cause I respected VE's and always wanted one.

Originally Posted by es_amixam
Looking really clean for an East coast car! Congrats on the purchase.

If you decide to change the pedals along with the shift ****, the AE pedal covers and 350Z footrest really complement the AE shift ****. You can see how they look on my cardomain page. Also, Castrol GTX 10W-40 and the Toyota filter really do a good job of keeping the VTCs quiet. I've been using both since I bought my VE, and the VTC sort of "tell" me when oil change time is near. In other words, they get a little noisy about 3-500 miles before the oil change is due.
Thanks man, I actually went out today and got the GTX you recommended with that filter. Normally I would get the cheapest stuff for my VG, because I still don't understand the difference between all these oils, but I'll go for something "better" this time. So the filter, they changed it to 90915-YZZA2, didn't they? Small black little Toyota filter.. At first when I installed it, put oil in, and started it, she was clacking like theres no tommorrow, but as soon as she warmed up, not one clack came out. I'll really judge this new filter tommorrow on start-up though.

Originally Posted by awsm66
yeah the car he mentioned has them as well plus a nice ebrake handle that matches and ebrake boot

Nice car Joe...good luck on the modding and have fun with it.
Thanks Mike. Im sure I will. So that whole interior leather package.. How much did it run ya if you don't mind me askin?

Damn, I think the previose owner did do something drastic. There aren't any wires anywhere around there when I looked today where the foggers belong. Im gonna look more into it. If anything, I can always install them later. Feels a bit incomplete without them though
Old 08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I miss my VE

or you just go to like autozone and get brand new ones that look pretty close to what ours look like.

hey joe Fontinyatz are you gonna transfer some of your mods to your new car??? i like the blue in your old one, it is a shame. saturday im tackling the timing belt saga. wish me luck. ohh and MY MAXIMA FINALLY LIVES!!!!!!! dam that SOB has sone ***, well i think and it is only a VG auto i want a VE 5spd now!
You really thought that was my car in the sig? Man, I really should get rid of that pic. Good luck with your timing belt. Better do it now then later, unless you really enjoyed my thread Drive the VG around for awhile, practice a bit before you move onto the VE 5spd. But when you do, you will thank yourself.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
your car doesn't have the ultra rare 4 lug wheel on the rear only option????

is the other rear rotor correct? they may have been boxed wrong.
I'll get you another one once you let me know about the other one.
also let me know what part # is printed in the box.
Ultra rare 4 lug option, eh? You know you stuck Sentra rotors in there for me to enjoy! j/k

But seriosly though, I'll get back to you with the info ASAP.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
your coolant level looks low.
Nope, sorry. Couldn't have been more perfect. It's so perfect, that when the car is at operating temp. it's exactly at MAX. Since you have such a good eye for these things, have a closer look

Originally Posted by subs1000w
wow identicle to my car in every way except mine is no longer that cherry
Lets hope I don't pop my cherry anymore by grounding myself out while changing bulbs. So how much mileage you got on yours?

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
Hmm... Well it doesn't have ABS. Also, just put a Fidanza on it w/ an Exedy Stage 1 clutch. No test drive until at least Tuesday. Waiting on a CV axle.

Congrats on the VE. Take it out, get to about 4k in 2nd, and floor it. Mine makes me smile whenever I do this. When these cars are properly maintained, they really are still very quick cars. I am driving around in a 2005 Mazda 6 auto right now. 220hp, variable valve timing. It has nowhere near the top end of my VE. It is decent until about 65mph, then the VE would pull on it hard.

Enjoy the car!
No ABS? Damn! That sucks. Your car was actually my motivation of getting a sun roofed higher mileage VE over a lower mileaged VE just cause I felt it would be a massive PITA to install one. I just want the ultimate 3rd gen package, plus a bit more to improve it here and there. That is probably my main goal for this car for the future. Did your car orginally come with all those features, or were they installed afterwards? Let me know how it felt after you take her for a test drive with that new clutch/flywheel.

Anyway, thanks again for all the feedback guys. Feels good havin a car I can appreciate.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:50 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by bhunter
Very, very nice. A one owner car is great to find. And trust me (and everyone else)--It wants to be floored. It NEEDS to be floored!!
Yeah, I know. I am so grateful that I did. Never would have believed for a second if someone told me I would own a VE a month and a half ago. Thought I'd be stuck with the VG for another 300k miles Even though I wouldn't mind, I still perfer this alot more.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
dont get me started on this post....

"...ohh and MY MAXIMA FINALLY LIVES!!!!!!! dam that SOB has sone ***, well i think and it is only a VG auto i want a VE 5spd now!"

you make no sense in it at alll

and how did i pick on his car?? i just said fluid looked low.

its a really clean looking max. suprised there are no swirl marks in it.
do you speak english man, what i was saying that i finally got my max on the road, i also basically said it had alot of ***** when you pucnched it. and i was also saying that a 5spd would have more *****. is that translated enough for you?

dont even start about the worthless posts, i dont go around saying that other people's posts are worthless, even though i should with some of yours. dont start man we all have a right to say what we want in here, this is a forum to have fun and learn about our cars. not to pick people apart and give them **** everytime they dont do what you like.

sorry for another "worthless" post
Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Did your car orginally come with all those features, or were they installed afterwards?

come on you gotta know the VE better than that no US VE came with HUD or ACC.

I installed the HUD, ACC, leather, carpet (original tan), pedals, dead pedal, shifter ****, ebrake handle, sts, upgraded leather shift boot and ebrake boot...oh and the paint and spoiler

you can check out my sites for the progress of the car.

I paid 565 shipped for my leather (with install kit) but am not sure what the various deals they are running right now. I did some trading for the ebrake and shifter boot but think redlinegoods sells them for $60 shipped or so. check the for sale and group deal sections.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I miss my VE

come on you gotta know the VE better than that no US VE came with HUD or ACC.

I installed the HUD, ACC, leather, carpet (original tan), pedals, dead pedal, shifter ****, ebrake handle, sts, upgraded leather shift boot and ebrake boot...oh and the paint and spoiler

you can check out my sites for the progress of the car.

I paid 565 shipped for my leather (with install kit) but am not sure what the various deals they are running right now. I did some trading for the ebrake and shifter boot but think redlinegoods sells them for $60 shipped or so. check the for sale and group deal sections.
Dang, missed that I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the future lol. So were those two GXE features then? Oh and thanks for the info.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Dang, missed that I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the future lol. So were those two GXE features then? Oh and thanks for the info.
the HUD was an eary option for GXEs that came with the digital dash but went away when they quit using the digital dash (91 was the last year I believe but I may be wrong on that).

The ACC was an OPTION on the GXE for all 3rd gens (mine came out of my 92GXE).

The ACC is also standard on ALL Canadian 3rd gens I believe.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Better then the one in my sig? Wow, what a compliment. That car isn't even real, hehe. I just had the VE sig cause I respected VE's and always wanted one.
i was joking...it's such a blatant photochop

yeah, the hud came in the 89-91 gxe's with the digital dashes. the digital climate control was a gxe option

edit: nvm i read and type too slow today
Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 PM

Finally got around to buying one. Enjoy...

why dont the links show ??
Old 08-18-2005, 02:31 AM

oh and the paint and spoiler
Don't forget the shaved antenna.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
Don't forget the shaved antenna.

oh yeah forgot about that...cleans up the care quite nicely.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:49 AM

dont even start about the worthless posts.....

ok i never said anything bout worthless posts in my post at all.

i may have been in a bad mood one day i kept seeing you type i have a vg auto but i want a ve5 a bunch of times... and it got old. ill stop the comments. sorry.

i dont hate you im not mad, lets just be happy.

k back to the regularly scheduled program.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I miss my VE

Does this look about right to you guys after an hour of driving? Seems a bit under the center, but could just be the design of the gauge thats throwin me off.

Oh and BTW, that Toyota oil filter worked wonders so far. All I have to say is I havn't heard a clack since the first few minutes of the oil change. Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 PM

hey,

is that shaved antenna a joke or real,

if it is a joke then it is cool,

because i can still see the antenna on the back,
Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
hey,

umm...different cars
Old 08-19-2005, 02:26 AM

hey,

Not on my car you can't.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

hey,

huh...sorry you may have been confused but Pervis and I were talking about HIS 92 that Joe mentioned earlier and I was just naming all the stuff I did to the car before I sold it to Pervis. I forgot to mention I shaved the antenna on it so Pervis posted that very thing and showed a picture of it.

As Pervis shows in his pics I did in fact weld up the hole and did the body work to make it slick (very little since I was careful with the welder).

The car does have an antenna but you cant see it because its inside the back window up at the very top.

follow the threads a little more closely lol.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:57 PM

Back in high school one of my buddies had a '94 GXE. It didn't have foglights so we fitted a set of KC floodlights in the spots where the stock foglights would have went. They were wired independant of the rest of the car and had a switch fitted into the coin holder. They looked awesome and the lighting was amazing - in a rural area like ours, floodlights are key because the nights are blacker than hell. I only wish there was a good spot to put aftermarket lights on the front of a 4th gen, I would have done this years ago!

Since you're not in a rural area, I wouldn't go with these, but this is what we put on:

http://www.kchilites.com/store/5x7-S...m-P37C101.aspx

Quick Reply: My VE(many pics - beware 56k)