3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

heater hose or core broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

heater hose or core broken?

for a few days i smelled anti-freeze as i drove the car.

i was like "****, i don't need this." i checked under the hood, but saw no hoses broken or leaking. and no leaks were in the driveway. so i kept driving the car.

then finally, one morning, i noticed some scrap paper on the passenger side floorboard had stains on it. the paper was wet.

i touched the stain, the wetness, then smelled it -- it was antifreeze.

i then noticed the entire floor board carpet on the passenger side was damp/ saturated with antifreeze.

i was driving the car at the time, on my way home in rush hour friday traffic. i feared the worst.

i got home fine, but have not driven the car the whole weekend.

also, when i would use the heat setting, a strange smoke and residue would be on the inside windshield. i had to put on the cold defrost to get rid of it.

what should i do?
Old 08-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Replace the heater core or bypass it under the hood until you can get it replaced.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:27 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yup that sounds like the heater core to me....If i remember correctly the heater core is a dealer part only And you have to take the entire dash apart to get to it....

I think Matt93SE has some pics of his dealings with the heater core replacement.....It wasn't pretty.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:51 AM
mod or sell?

while the heater core isn't a dealer only part, just don't expect to find one at any parts store you've ever been too.

and the entire dash has to come out to replace it.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:57 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Here is internetautomart site he has them...http://www.internetautomart.com/maxi...gen/cool.html?

Sorry about the disinformation...I thought it was a dealer part only...:
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Did you see my thread at the very top of this forum before you posted this?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=423636

I spent a lot of time writing this up and making that drawing. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
...what should i do?
1. Jump from joy
2. Go buy one lottery ticket (more probably u find one, winner, on the way)

Why? U still driving with a non fried ECU. If u insist on driving w/o new core, look how aarons max cluncks on... (Still its better to buy that core, swap.)
Old 08-21-2005, 02:24 PM
mod or sell?

BTW. I do have the heater core up on my site.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:38 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by internetautomar
BTW. I do have the heater core up on my site.

I Changed my earlier posting to your website...I didn't know you had them or i would posted yours first......im a tard...:
Old 08-21-2005, 06:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I Changed my earlier posting to your website...I didn't know you had them or i would posted yours first......im a tard...:
Thanks, I appreciate it
Old 08-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Antifreeze might fry your ecu, but not always. The thing is when the heator core leaks, it drips right on the ecu. Taking a gamble if you let it go on too long.

It's certianly better to replace it. I've done it before. I'd take an engine swap before doing it again. If that gives you any idea.

Originally Posted by Wiking
1. Jump from joy
2. Go buy one lottery ticket (more probably u find one, winner, on the way)

Why? U still driving with a non fried ECU. If u insist on driving w/o new core, look how aarons max cluncks on... (Still its better to buy that core, swap.)
Old 08-21-2005, 09:24 PM

I had the exact thing happen to me. Only I was not lucky enough to realize what was actually happening. I saw the coolant leaking on to the carpet, but this all happened before I found out where my ecu was located. So I learned the hardway. My ECU was shot and I had to replace it. I also had the white fumes coming from the vents. I'm actually looking at replacing my Heater Core sometime within the next week or so. I'll let you know how it goes. Everyone says it's going to be a pain in the a$$, but I don't think it will be. I guess we'll see. Good luck on getting that fixed. I've bypassed my hoses at the firewall, and I've been driving with it like that for about 4 or 5 months now. I havn't noticed any change in driveability. I just want to get it all fixed before winter comes.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 PM
NWP Engineering.com

... look how aarons max cluncks on...
Clunks? I resent that statement! This beater is faster than most of the cars on this forum. I keep it running top notch.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Clunks? I resent that statement! This beater is faster than most of the cars on this forum. I keep it running top notch.
True...I was teasing u, hope u accept my apology. I know u corrected the problim: your limping home -mode explanation was excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Related questions, (not seen answers on the forum so far):

1. is there one certain place where the coolant comes out from the plastic case?
2. Whattodo to shield TCU & ECU
3. Are these leaks on all 3gen's -or- earlier models only?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:09 AM

aaron, thanks for that thread link. i did not see it at the top of the page. i printed out your diagram and everything. neato.

man. so i have to take the whole dash out to replace the core. that absolutely sucks. why the heL did they design it that way? and the dripping on the ECU thing seems like an engineering design flaw. thank god my car did not crap out while i was going home. that would have so suc#ked.

but the good news is that my ECU is intact. i had no idea the problem could lead to that.

and everyone else, thanks so far for your info. i haven't been coming around here for a long time, and i return and it's fun.

hey, internetautomar, how much is the core, and what is shipping, and how long would it take to get to los angeles? i'd like to tackle it. it'd be a character-builder kind of thing.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 AM

aaron, thanks for that thread link. ... why the heL did they design it that way? and the dripping on the ECU thing seems like an engineering design flaw. thank god my car did not crap out while i was going home.

... it'd be a character-builder kind of thing.
- no design time =no costs; thus not eng design flaw as non exists...
- I bet it will be.
- Make u the now planning: what else u can renew as all is out.
- Camera, pics, lotsofthem and available for all of us. Pls, I need some of the core -box to 'fill holes' in my heater -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/7
- As all is 'clean', noise insulation will be awesome after tHis project... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/17
Old 08-22-2005, 07:32 AM
NWP Engineering.com

True...I was teasing u, hope u accept my apology. I know u corrected the problim: your limping home -mode explanation was excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Related questions, (not seen answers on the forum so far):

1. is there one certain place where the coolant comes out from the plastic case?
2. Whattodo to shield TCU & ECU
3. Are these leaks on all 3gen's -or- earlier models only?
Oh, I figured you were joking.

1. I can't answer that b/c i can't understand it.
2. Put down some plastic to cover the harnesses and ECU. A cut up zip lock bag will work just fine. But for me, I didn't have to cover it b/c I caught the problem LONG before it got out of hand. I was wearing flip flops and I felt the very first drop that leaked out.
3. The heater core problem exists on a lot of cars older than 15 years. My big brother said he's replaced the heater core on his 87 Bronco and a 88 Mazda and it SUCKED he said. So the problem can exist on any old car.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

man. so i have to take the whole dash out to replace the core. that absolutely sucks. why the heL did they design it that way? ...

and the dripping on the ECU thing seems like an engineering design flaw ...
Yes, the entire dash has to come out. Matt93SE recently removed his entire dash and took pics. Visit his website, you might find them.

It's not really a design flaw b/c the heater core has to be in the dash and on the firewall so it can connect to the vent tubes inside your dash. Once the heater core break, the coolant leaks out in those vent tubes and then it can leak anywhere. It usually leaks on the driver's foot and above the ECU b/c that seems to be one of the lowest point.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:48 AM

...1. I can't answer that b/c ...
Core lifetime ends, leak starts: coolant drops on the bottom of the plastic box its located in. There if flows out...where?

The space behind dash seems cramped, and depending where the water comes out, u place the shield. Taping the whole TCU/ECU assy close would result in poor air circ =bad. (Electronics lifetime is halved with every degree C temp increases.) Best could be a critically located pinhole, then a guide to route coolant on pass toes...
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Core lifetime ends, leak starts: coolant drops on the bottom of the plastic box its located in. There if flows out...where?

The space behind dash seems cramped, and depending where the water comes out, u place the shield. Taping the whole TCU/ECU assy close would result in poor air circ =bad. (Electronics lifetime is halved with every degree C temp increases.) Best could be a critically located pinhole, then a guide to route coolant on pass toes...
All I know is that is routes coolant to the driver's toes. I felt moisture on the passenger side also, but it wasn't leaking there.

You don't have to cover the ECU if you have bypassed the heater core. If you feel coolant on your feet, then pull over and take 10 minutes to bypass the heater core. Then blow out all the coolant that is left in the heater core. Then get some paper towels or plastic and cover the ECU on your way home. It won't continue to leak but a couple more drops if you've bypassed the core and blown out all the coolant left in it.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 AM
mod or sell?

aaron, thanks for that thread link. i did not see it at the top of the page. i printed out your diagram and everything. neato.

man. so i have to take the whole dash out to replace the core. that absolutely sucks. why the heL did they design it that way? and the dripping on the ECU thing seems like an engineering design flaw. thank god my car did not crap out while i was going home. that would have so suc#ked.

but the good news is that my ECU is intact. i had no idea the problem could lead to that.

and everyone else, thanks so far for your info. i haven't been coming around here for a long time, and i return and it's fun.

hey, internetautomar, how much is the core, and what is shipping, and how long would it take to get to los angeles? i'd like to tackle it. it'd be a character-builder kind of thing.
it runs $165 plus about another 15-20 for shipping (if even that)
it'll take about 3-4 business days to get to L.A.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 AM

All I know is that is routes coolant to the driver's toes. ....
So makin some plastics shield on ECU, drivers side NOW would possibly thwart frying it... Never had to swap heater cores in my life and that with owning quite a few british veHickles... Hope this will experience never come true.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
NWP Engineering.com

So makin some plastics shield on ECU, drivers side NOW would possibly thwart frying it... Never had to swap heater cores in my life and that with owning quite a few british veHickles... Hope this will experience never come true.
No, just bypass it and blow out the rest of the coolant that might be left in the core. Then, throw a towel over the ECU for a day to make sure it doesn't get wet from the coolant that is existing in your tubes.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 AM

No, just bypass it and blow out the rest of the coolant that might be left in the core. Then, throw a towel over the ECU for a day to make sure it doesn't get wet from the coolant that is existing in your tubes.
I meant making a plastics ECU shield now while no problems. While I hope the core to last forever, I want to shield electronics before s happens, w/o increasing its temp.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 PM

I was just in the area....

If I could have got on I would have stopped by and helped

Chad
Old 08-22-2005, 03:56 PM

hello, mr shawn gone in 60 seconds. long time no see. thanks for the acknowledgements.

i'm gonna get internetautomar's core.