3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Weird Hesitation Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:26 PM

Weird Hesitation Problem???

i need the help of some VG gurus in here for this one. yesterday and today i've been havin' this weird problem in my '93 GXE 5-speed with the old motor and then it still does it after swapped in my new motor. today was very noticeable throughout the whole day. i would let it idle but when i would put it into gear i let go of the clutch and lightly step on the gas normally the rpms' go up smoothly but this time lets say u drive it up to about 4000 rpms when it feels like its only at 1500-2000 rpms. its like not enough fuel is being fed into the motor or maybe air. until now is when im bringin' this up cuz i've had this problem when i had my old motor in it and it started doin' it on a rainy day back in Aug. of '04 which was a few days after i did my 5-spd conversion. it never did it when it was an autotragic. could it be that the harness's that r left out in the open from the auto tranny may be causin' this??? i also smell gas as well. could it be that my fuel pump may be goin'??? but its just that it feels that once i even step on the gas and try to make it go up 5000 rpms it feels like my car is actually at 1500-2000 rpms and then it slowly either goes up or down but eventually it goes up once my foot is fixed on the gas pedal. could it also be the MAF sensor??? TPS maybe??? also my damn check engine light does not come on so i really don't know what the hell it can be. im tryin' to be as specific as i can be. i work at a shop and i even explained it to my co-workers and my boss and they think its a sensor thats screwin' my car up and then i have one of my co-workers that tell me that it might be my ECU. i don't know if this is a similar problem that an .org member had on here on his white VE. think it was D-sta that might have had this problem. but my boss and one of my co-workers will diagnose it either this Sat. if not Mon. to c what the hell it is. but i just want to know if any of u guys might have had this problem or may know about it as to what it is or what has caused it.

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Knock sensor maybe?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well two things are for sure 1) check to see what codes the computer brings up, 2) if you smell gas it is probably time to change your fuel rail hoses. Are all your injectors firing? As for the other things it's kind of guess work over the internet. It could be the EGR, o2 sesnor, a vacuum leak...
Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:34 AM
mod or sell?

anything that is upposed to be flexible is probably bad now. like your vacum lines and fuel lines.
they get old and crack, swapping the motor probably agravated the begining of the problem
just my thoughts, feel free to disagree
Old 09-02-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
anything that is upposed to be flexible is probably bad now. like your vacum lines and fuel lines.
they get old and crack, swapping the motor probably agravated the begining of the problem
just my thoughts, feel free to disagree
well im not gonna disagree on this cuz i only replaced about 5 vacuum lines before i swapped the new motor in. but it can happen. tomorrow will be the day i'll take my car to my boss so that he can run tests on it if its not rainin' at all though. as for engine codes i still have to do that but my check engine light has never come on at all. so i don't know if i can still get engine codes from my ECU if my check engine light hasn't come on at all . im still thinkin' that it could be my MAF sensor since one of my co-workers told me that he changed it once on a 3rd or 4th gen with similar symptoms that i described to him and that he replaced or fixed the MAF and the problem went away. i will let u guys know about this as i run more tests but im gonna swap MAF's from my '89 into my '93 to c what happens.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 PM

when i get into third gear , sometimes i can press the gas and get no responce , i have to put the clutch down again and let it back up for the car to realize im giving it gas , no check engine lights or anything but theres no responce .. is my car slipping third gear , or is this a nice sign of a transmission rebuild comming up? i have 172000 miles on the 5spd
Old 09-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Alex_V

sounds like a TPS. Check wikings site on how to clean it.

~Alex

Old 09-03-2005, 10:00 PM

well guys i ran more tests day at work with my boss and decided to hook up a fuel pressure regulator gauge to see what was the reading and it turned out to be fine reading at 37. then i decided to hook up the Snap On tool to my car and ended up with codes:
#13-Coolant Tempature Sensor
#33-O2 Sensor
well the O2 sensor answers my question to my weird hesitation problem because it described the possible symptoms that i described. so hopefully this should end my problem on my '93 which i've had since Aug. of '04. as for the Coolant Temp. Sensor thats nothin' for me to worry about. but i will change that sensor tomorrow since my fans r always on. i will keep u guys posted on this situation.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:07 AM
mod or sell?

both of those will also affect your gas mileage
Old 09-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
both of those will also affect your gas mileage

i figured both would do that cuz either way i read more on the Snap On Tool and both said the same crap. i will replace both sensors and c what happens from there but again thanks alot guys for u help includin' u internetautomar.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:33 AM

well today i ended up gettin' another code which is #21 and it said something about ignition or something like that along with the same codes #33 and #13. after i drove to my job to drop off the Snap On Tool to my boss i shut the car off and then went inside to drop off the Tool but as soon as i went to turn my car on it wouldn't come on at all. i tried and tried and tried to turn it on but it only cranks. now my boss took a look at it and just started doin' some cleaning in my injector harnesses cuz we both saw some of that green corrosion and he also checked the Coolant Temp. Sensor as well and it had the same thing. he basically closed the female terminals just a bit so that it has a tighter fit and plugged everything back in and i just cranked the car and it started. but now it still drives the same with the hesitation and loss of power and now when i just rev up the rpms i c white smoke comin' out of my exhaust pipe??? what can cause this??? i do know that once i plugged everything back on i also noticed that black smoke came out as well and then it just turned to white smoke. i still haven't checked or replaced my O2 sensor. can the O2 be causin' my erratic performance in my '93 GXE???
Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

That white smoke thing tells me that you have one or more bad injectors.......

All that raw gas going threw your exhaust system i probably freaking out your 02 sensor....
Old 09-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
That white smoke thing tells me that you have one or more bad injectors.......

All that raw gas going threw your exhaust system i probably freaking out your 02 sensor....

probably but the white smoke was only comin' out for about 5 min. tops cuz i unplugged some of them cuz my boss wanted to check some crap out so alot fuel got dumped into the cylinder banks i suppose. when i connected them back up thats when all the white smoke came out then black smoke came out for a little bit and went away aswell. now my car doesn't smoke at all but it still has the hesitation and loss of power.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Willing to learn

Hey, keep us posted on the progress. I am fighting the exact same symptoms (except for the white smoke) on a 93 GXE engine swap. Hesitation when starting off, sometimes rough idle, and an occasional no-start.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:54 PM

well haven't been able to run more tests due to havin' a messed up wheel bearing and its time for me to order 6th gen rotors for my car so that i can finally install my Z32 calipers. but my car has been runnin' fine with no problems yet since the day my boss messed around with my injector harnesses. but i will keep updatin' this post once i run more tests on my '93.