3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 AM

Help

Had my max in the shop last week for brakes and they told me I needed a power steering rack, that it was leaking fluid. Parked it in the garage overnight and did notice a small (less than dime size) spot. Went to drive it today, it's leaking power steering fluid a lot. The resevoir was almost dry. Can the rack leak that much or do I have another problem, maybe a hose? Could I have damaged the pump from driving it so low on fluid? I drove about a mile, then went back home because the pump was whineing.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:37 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Get a good flashlight and a helper to turn the wheel while the car is running,then you get under hood and look at the ends of the rack for leaks...Also look at the P/S hose for leaks......
Old 09-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keep an eye on the fluid level ,whatever you do. PSP's aren't cheap.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 PM

According to the shop, it needs a new steering rack and high pressure hose. Most of the leak is coming from the rack. Didn't realize that thing could leak that much. Had a ten to twelve inch puddle under my car today.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:19 AM

U may first replace the hose and see wassup. If leak is/cont too bad, then do the costly one... or buy a better max.