3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

replaceing lower balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:48 PM

replaceing lower balljoints

my car has a mind of it own when i step on the gas it jerks to left and i found out its the lower balljoints my question is it hard to change it???
Old 10-10-2005, 03:06 PM
mod or sell?

nope, 4 nuts and yer done.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 PM

+ 5 wheel nuts
Originally Posted by internetautomar
nope, 4 nuts and yer done.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by zhusst
+ 5 wheel nuts
but do i need to take off the rotor???
Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 PM

Dont have to take off the rotor.

It's a pretty easy job. Takes maybe 20 minutes. The hardest part is getting the bolts on the ball joint bracket to line up with the holes in the control arm. It's easiest if the whole front end is jacked up, not just the side you;re working on at the time. Stick the cheapie emergency jack under the control arm and curse at it untill you can get one of teh nuts threaded to pull it together completely.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:01 AM

Its very easy to do. Just dont listen to the repair manual and and take everything apart. All you have to open is the 3 bolts holding the ball joint to the lower control arm and the bolt holding the ball joint to the spindle.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by alpicone
...very easy ... the ball joint to the spindle.
easy is easy. For the weld in -model u need propane torch, mig welder, sledgehammer, wedge, hammer, patience, neighbors AND whatelse...
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 AM
STFU n00b!

fortunately, we don't need a welder... well all except for my wife's car that I welded the ball joint in place.

for the Max, it's rpetty easy to do.
be sure to remove the nut at the top of the ball joint before you unbolt it from the spindle. that will make things easier.. once the nut is almost off, stick a prybar between the ball joint and the CV joint. pry down really hard on the ball joint while you whack the bottom of the spindle with a ball-peen hammer. after a few whacks, it'll pop loose.

NOW remove the 3 bolts on the control arm and remove the ball joint.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
fortunately, we don't need a welder...
...As said, not for the easy ones.

Originally its not welded in. But some nissans (or what ever) may become 'in-welded'. Is this ? poof of evolotion where Nissan is about to transform into shuttle (= flyin scaffolding)...dunno.

If we are here in this hopeless position, welding on the outer side (arm) expands metal, joint stays still cold and 'drops off'...(when nothin else cannot do it)
Old 10-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This pulling may be cause by a worn balljoint but most likely, could also be caused by worn bushings on the lower control arm. My 1994 maxima has the same problem and was resolved by replacing the two bushings per control arms, one front , one rear, on both sides. I could not get the bushings in Canada. Here I had to buy the complete Lower control arm. So I ordered them from www.courtesyparts.com and had them installed at a local shop. It is not a DIY job. Th lower control arms have to be removed from the car as the front bushing have to be pressed in the control arm. It is very hard to push in and out without a special press. The rear bushings is easier to install and can be done with the control arm still on the car. Since you do or have someone do the job, you might as weel have the stabilizer bar bushings and links replaced at the same time. This links look like miniatire tie rod end that will hold the stabilizer bar to the control arm. If rusted, they will likely break when removing the control arm.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM

about the hardest part is getting the castle nut off...otherwise they are easy
Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by battlestylespl
about the hardest part is getting the castle nut off...otherwise they are easy
Castle Nut..I like that
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM

thats what they are called :shrug:
Old 10-11-2005, 06:51 PM

this is the one im talking about. since it's like so close to the axle it can be a ***** if its rusty
Old 10-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Once you change these out, the ride difference is like night and day. I thought I had new shocks when I first drove the car. But now I have new ball joints, tie rod ends, and f & r shocks, smoother than ever.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

Must be difficult to work on an upside down car.

Originally Posted by battlestylespl

this is the one im talking about. since it's like so close to the axle it can be a ***** if its rusty
Old 10-12-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Must be difficult to work on an upside down car.
lol....i just googled for a random picture of a castle nut.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi im new to the org. as probably you can tell and in my car im replacing the right control arm and ball joint. my question is if i need an aligment even if i had 1 done 3 months ago.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 92black4dsc
hi im new to the org. as probably you can tell and in my car im replacing the right control arm and ball joint. my question is if i need an aligment even if i had 1 done 3 months ago.
Welcome to the org....

It is always a good idea to get a alignment after replacing suspension parts...If you can let go of the steering wheel on a level road and it does not veer to the left or right,then it is pretty close...
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks man
Old 10-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i have a question, very random as well and i dont think it really relates to this thread but once again i do not have 10 posts and cannot submit my own thread... and before you people start getting angry with me for doing this... yes i have tried searching the forums, the search feature is disabled for now and i dont know why. but anyways, for tall people... im speaking 6'0 or taller, do you guys sit with your car seat all the way back and on the 90 maxima, i noticed there are 2 little things on the left of the seat you can turn to adjust the seat angle and height... do you guys like the height of the seat all the way low to the ground or all the way high up? i dunno im just wondering how you guys feel comfortable in your car
Old 10-24-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pgroove
... feel comfortable in your car
Seat max up, max rear, RH pedal max FF, max horses shrieking, max rubber screech... The thought already is comfortable.

Headrest is poor, got to have hand tailored. I bet no comfo if ol saggin seat...

92black4dsc
Alignment is DIY, have to be checked after every hit, after car has been on loan...: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1
Old 10-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Wiking
Seat max up, max rear, RH pedal max FF, max horses shrieking, max rubber screech...
What do you mean by Seat max up? and max rear along with RH pedal max FF, do you put the seat all the way up so it feels your sitting high up and the seat all the way back? what do you mean by rh pedal max ff haha... can you change like the pedal level or something that would be crazy
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by pgroove
What do you mean by Seat max up? and max rear along with RH pedal max FF, do you put the seat all the way up so it feels your sitting high up and the seat all the way back? what do you mean by rh pedal max ff haha... can you change like the pedal level or something that would be crazy
Wiking is from sweden, so his english is a little off...You have to do a little deciphering to understand what he means...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok. finished the control arm and balljoint and let me tell u what a difference from were when i first drove the car. but i havent done the alignment because every time i go to the web site Wiking told me to go my computer freezes up, also when im driving sometimes i feel like im driving some kind of jellymobil cause u could feel the front tires got a mind of their own, even thou they steer were i want to.
the problem occours mostly on the straights or uneven surfaces, and whenever im below 5 mph their is a clunking sound coming from the left front every time i press the breaks
Old 10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

also at what rpm is a 92 max with a jdm VE engine and auto trans supose to idel?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

also at what rpm is a 92 max with a jdm VE engine and auto trans supose to idel?

750 + - 50 rpm for manual tranny

790 + - 50 rpm for auto tranny
Old 10-26-2005, 04:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

ok. finished the control arm and balljoint and let me tell u what a difference from were when i first drove the car. but i havent done the alignment because every time i go to the web site Wiking told me to go my computer freezes up, also when im driving sometimes i feel like im driving some kind of jellymobil cause u could feel the front tires got a mind of their own, even thou they steer were i want to.
the problem occours mostly on the straights or uneven surfaces, and whenever im below 5 mph their is a clunking sound coming from the left front every time i press the breaks

If your car is wandering around the road then i would suspect the tie rod ends are bad....
Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 PM

Going to throw a question in here, why wouldn't freezing the bushing, and baking the control arm in the oven work to install the bushing. I ordered new bushings for mine today. Going to install this weekend along with new balljoints. BTW the car WILL still wander with new tie rod ends, new struts, strut mounts, wheel bearings, cv shafts, if it still has crappy control arm bushings in it. Another word to the wise, you do not need a press to do wheel bearings. Just a puller, a brass drift, a 2 pound hammer, a rubber dead blow hammer, and around a 2 1/2" socket or so to put on the puller. I'll let you know how the freezer and oven work. Although, I am looking into buying a press (would be so much easier).
Old 11-04-2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Wiking is from sweden, so his english is a little off...You have to do a little deciphering to understand what he means...
Didn know smbdy could get lost with maxima pedals;

Here the English - DeCoded to US:

- Seat max up: Jackit up maximum
- Seat max rear: Push it bckwards maximum
- RH pedal: I have got LH&RH legs, hands, pedals, lamps, doors etc...
- FF equals SONY kickdown
- 1. RH pedal max FF: honda byebye
- 2. max horses shrieking: honda byebye
- 3. max rubber screech... : honda byebye
1+2+3= hbb³
- The thought already is comfortable. : Wikings do like thinkings
Old 11-08-2005, 09:00 PM

Bought some bushings from Tulsa import parts, cost me about $50. The hardest part was getting the old bushings out. Just took a hacksaw and cut the old sleeve that was pressed into the arm, then took a punch and knocked it out. The new bushings just tapped right in. I only took the control arm off, left everything else bolted in place. Learned something though, when you use a pickle fork to separate the ball joint from the spindle, DO NOT turn the steering wheel. LOL, I bent the fork closed and was scratching my head as to how to get it off. Just had to finish separating the ball joint, then slip it over the stud, take it over to the truck (big metal bed with strategically placed holes) and pounded it back straight. It's really an easy job to replace them. On top of that, I replaced the ball joints and bushings for under $100. Beats $188 each that Nissan wants for control arms.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 AM
mod or sell?

you don't read here much do you?
nissan OEarm is only $165
aftermarket are $62.50 per side and that includes the ball joint and bushings.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 AM

ok, the local stealership is the only place in town that has the control arms. They wanted $188 each. The way my schedule is, I don't ever know when I'll have the time to work on stuff. I can't always wait to order stuff if I only have time then. The place I got my bushings at, had to order them, but I had them the next morning. If I knew exactly when I'd be home, and have enough free time to do this stuff, and could wait a few days for parts, I'd probably be buying it from you. I know some people will understand how that works.

Anyways, the car drives a hell of a lot better now, alignment is close. When I have another day off, I'll take it to have it aligned. Have replaced Struts, Bearings, Bushings, Ball joints, Rotors, Pads, CV shafts. Now I only have to get some new tie rods and tires. This car has been totaled out once, rebuilt, and has 189000 miles on it. Not too bad for $400.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:45 AM

And I read a lot more than I post.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:34 AM
mod or sell?

I guess I'm weird. If I know my car will need work, I get the parts ahead of time and hope that I'll find the time to install them. Proper planning makes life cheaper
Old 11-21-2005, 06:26 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
fortunately, we don't need a welder... well all except for my wife's car that I welded the ball joint in place.

for the Max, it's rpetty easy to do.
be sure to remove the nut at the top of the ball joint before you unbolt it from the spindle. that will make things easier.. once the nut is almost off, stick a prybar between the ball joint and the CV joint. pry down really hard on the ball joint while you whack the bottom of the spindle with a ball-peen hammer. after a few whacks, it'll pop loose.

NOW remove the 3 bolts on the control arm and remove the ball joint.
Cliff's: go to autozone and get their "loan a tool" ball joint popper......saves all that prying and hammering. You can borrow it for free, and even if you buy one, it's like than $15
Old 11-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I guess I'm weird. If I know my car will need work, I get the parts ahead of time and hope that I'll find the time to install them. Proper planning makes life cheaper
But isn't the real trick knowing *WHAT* work? I know it seems my car(s) always need something I just never know it is in advance.

Maybe you could loan me your crystal ball so I'll know what parts to ask Santa for at Christmas.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 3rdGenMaximaMan
But isn't the real trick knowing *WHAT* work? I know it seems my car(s) always need something I just never know it is in advance.

Maybe you could loan me your crystal ball so I'll know what parts to ask Santa for at Christmas.

Let's hope he don't bring a headgasket..
Old 11-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Let's hope he don't bring a headgasket..
Let's hope ... But we'll find out this weekend won't we!

*crossing fingers, toes and anything that can get crossed at this point*
Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 3rdGenMaximaMan

crystal ball = paying attention to the little things and buying more parts than I'll likely need.

I.E. rear brakes squaeling = new semi-loaded calipers, pads and rotors.

I'm a little nutty like that

Quick Reply: replaceing lower balljoints