3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Have lots of extra cash, what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001 | 07:59 AM

I just got a new job, full time $16 an hour out fo high school. Not to bad since most of my friends make 7 or 8. Anyway, I will be living at home for about a year on that sallery because I don't want to move out durring a michigan winter. Im going to have some serious extra cash around and Im starting to make a shopping list:
1. FULL TUNE UP (im at 121,000 Miles now)
2. New Brakes (mine are shot, Looking at getting perfomance parts, rotars and pads and fun stuff like that)
3. Paint
4. CAI or POP Charger
5. Y Pipe and a new O2 while Im in there
6. A wing (not to ricey)
7. New exhaust, something with some tone at high RPM, but not bee's in a can at low RPM.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should add, remove, or do in a diffrent order? I don't want to be to ricey, yet I want rice. Make any sense? BTW, the car is STOCK right now, and Im not a big fan of expensive, pointless rims.
Thanks
Jay
Old 05-31-2001 | 08:05 AM

If you are making that kind of money you could probably afford to buy a newer maxima!! Your car has a lot of miles, get one that has a whole lot less miles on it.
Old 05-31-2001 | 08:26 AM

No

Ill be makeing about $35,000 a year. If I do get a new max, which i doubt because of the sytling, it would be a 2003. Also, I would hate to give up this car as it is my first car! Maybe Ill get that BMW or Mitusi Eclipse that I have been wanting for years rather than mod my max.... Yea right!
RB
Old 05-31-2001 | 08:56 AM

Re: No

MOD YOUR MAX! Sorry I had to yell, but any of us that would be making that money and still living at home would mod the hell outta our cars!!!! Make your goal to get your car into the low 12's in the next year.
Old 05-31-2001 | 09:19 AM

Then tell me what I need to get it in the low 12's!! Some things must be done like tune up, brakes, painting, but from then on its mods mods mods! Does my current liste ok? Thats the order I want to do it in. And would be be the kind of exhaust that I would want? Its a 92 SE according to the title, but it has a 93 interior. Possible that it is a 92.5 year car. Thanks for any input.
Thanks
RB
Old 05-31-2001 | 10:16 AM
Ford Only.

To get 12's you would probably need a custom turbo,All the bolt ons possible and NOS.
Old 05-31-2001 | 10:24 AM

curious

whats your occupation
Old 05-31-2001 | 10:30 AM

Well...

Maybe not low 12's, but I want a damn good 1/4 mile!
Right now Im working at RE/MAX (The realtors) but my new job will be working Help Desk for a Large drug company (Pharmica, sp?). $16 starting with a $4 raise in 6 months. Works great for me! And I get full benifets!
Does my list look all right?
Thanks
RB
Old 05-31-2001 | 10:37 AM

Originally posted by RitalinBoy
I just got a new job, full time $16 an hour out fo high school. Not to bad since most of my friends make 7 or 8. Anyway, I will be living at home for about a year on that sallery because I don't want to move out durring a michigan winter. Im going to have some serious extra cash around and Im starting to make a shopping list:
1. FULL TUNE UP (im at 121,000 Miles now)
2. New Brakes (mine are shot, Looking at getting perfomance parts, rotars and pads and fun stuff like that)
3. Paint
4. CAI or POP Charger
5. Y Pipe and a new O2 while Im in there
6. A wing (not to ricey)
7. New exhaust, something with some tone at high RPM, but not bee's in a can at low RPM.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should add, remove, or do in a diffrent order? I don't want to be to ricey, yet I want rice. Make any sense? BTW, the car is STOCK right now, and Im not a big fan of expensive, pointless rims.
Thanks
Jay
get your engine rebuilt. you wont have to worry about how many miles you have on it anymore. while your at it get everything all ported and polished. add some performance parts in there and your set.
Old 05-31-2001 | 10:48 AM

Hmmm... rebuild. Good idea, rough idea on how much it would run me roughly? While I will have extra cash, I would like to SAVE some of it for a computer, paintball stuff, and just so I have some extra cash. Im looking to spend around 7 or 8 thousand on my car total. I got a quote on the paint for 1500. Is my budget going to be large enough? I would rather go for perfomance than looks if need be.
Thanks
RB
Old 05-31-2001 | 11:09 AM
STFU n00b!

which model do you have?
if you've got a VG or an auto, there's now way you're going to make it very fast without NOs or turbo.

and if you're looking to spend 7-8k on it, I highly recommend you jsut get rid fo the car you've got and spend 7-8K on another 3rd gen.. a 5 spd VE with low miles and good paint. that will run you about 7000. now use the money you got from selling your current max to mod your new one.
you'll be MUCH better off that way and won't have to spend $2000 on an engine rebuild and another $2k on a tranny rebuild (if auto) that won't get you very far in your goals.
Old 05-31-2001 | 11:15 AM

I always get the VG VE thing mixed up its a 1992 SE 5 Speed. I believe that is the VE, the 190 HP version. The paint is good, just not great and there are a couple scratches that I want out and the hood dings from the rocks. Like I said, no biggie. The car is in perfect shape, even the leather is perfect. Sun roof doesn't leak or anything, no oil leaks, doesnt burn oil or coolant. It really is in perfect shape. The guy that had it before me used it on the highway only and used his Jimmy for town driving. I would like to keep the car, and make it look and go FASTer! 7 or 8k, and now im down to 5 after a total rebuild. 5k should be enough to get some mods done like ypipe and cold air, right?
RB
Old 05-31-2001 | 11:31 AM
STFU n00b!

okay.. yeah, you've got the "fast" 3rd gen.. keep that car and clean it up..
don't worry about the engine rebuild unless it starts smoking or anything.. just be sure to save about $2000 just in case it does.

first.. lower that puppy and get some nice looking 16s or 17s.. (you dont' have to spend $$$$$ on it.. I bought some 16" Konig Villains with new tires for $600 look nice, but not too flashy, handled GREAT).
finish your suspension with an FSTB and sway bars.

now get your brakes working good. since you've got bigger wheels, you may consider getting a big brake kit, but it's not necessary unless you're adding TONS of power or do lots of track racing.. just get some good rotors, pads, and stainless lines.

now that you can turn and stop, add a few power mods.. simple intake and Y are enough for most people.. that'll net you about 12hp which is enough to toast almost any stock 3rd gen.
Old 05-31-2001 | 01:11 PM

Ok..
I make more than that and I'm guessing I'm one or two years older than you and I don't see a dime of extra cash. First try to save up some money and then see if you have all that "extra cash." Oh..if you have a girlfriend...hahahah..then forget it! You ain't gonna see that money. Just be prepared to cry after you see how much money you're throwing uncle sam's way.
My suggestion: leave your car alone....save up a few grand and then start modding your car without touching that money. Invest it or something.
Old 05-31-2001 | 04:12 PM

So, so, sooooo true about the girlfriend thing. Yeah, the minute she sees you throwing money at your car, then it all starts. "Why don't you buy me this and that?" "Why don't you spend your money on me?" "Lets go out for dinner (EVERY night)." Hahahahahaha....I am just kiddin'. Girls are great, but be prepared to put some of that money into the "relationship fund".
Old 05-31-2001 | 04:18 PM

Hmmm... rebuild. Good idea, rough idea on how much it would run me roughly? While I will have extra cash, I would like to SAVE some of it for a computer, paintball stuff, and just so I have some extra cash. Im looking to spend around 7 or 8 thousand on my car total. I got a quote on the paint for 1500. Is my budget going to be large enough? I would rather go for perfomance than looks if need be.
Thanks
RB
if you want big power, i would not throw my money away on eshaust garbage, like a cat back system. thats what it is garbage, you arent gonna see anything from buying that in the way of power gain. this is the route i plan on taking if i keep my car. get the heads done and intake. get em al bored out. good job == 3k. while im at it get some cams(vg).next get a intake and chip. as far as what the real race car guys do its all in the heads and cams. the bigger the wheels the heavier their gonna be, dont get above 17" its too big in my opinion. hope this helps alittle. or you can just get rid of the max and get yourself a honda or mitsu and youll have every single mod you ever hoped for right at your finger tips.
Old 05-31-2001 | 04:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

You won't see..

big gains from a port and polish on a Maxima, Don has already proved this. Why not get an exhaust? if a Y-pipe and cat back will yeild around 10-12+hp for starters! and with the entire WSP system available for $500 you can't beat that! it'll give you more HP than a P/P will ever do for an N/A Max...

and 3k for a good P/P job on the intake and heads is a damn ripoff!!

Originally posted by thebull

if you want big power, i would not throw my money away on eshaust garbage, like a cat back system. thats what it is garbage, you arent gonna see anything from buying that in the way of power gain. this is the route i plan on taking if i keep my car. get the heads done and intake. get em al bored out. good job == 3k. while im at it get some cams(vg).next get a intake and chip. as far as what the real race car guys do its all in the heads and cams. the bigger the wheels the heavier their gonna be, dont get above 17" its too big in my opinion. hope this helps alittle. or you can just get rid of the max and get yourself a honda or mitsu and youll have every single mod you ever hoped for right at your finger tips.
Old 05-31-2001 | 04:50 PM
Ford Only.

A Y and catback system does yield HP.I definately notice a big difference in my car now compared to stock.
Old 05-31-2001 | 06:54 PM

Girlfirend

LOL, I know all about that! Right now I make about $600 a month, really ****ty, I see about $500 of that. $300 of that 500 goes to her, the rest is car payment and cell phone and fun stuff like that. She doesn't care if I mod my car, in her eyes "its better than your damn paintball gun". I managed to spend over $1000 on my gun only, and $400 of that was only for looks. I do plan on investing. First the car will be totally paid off. That will take 3 months, and about 1/4 to 1/2 of every check will be in stocks or 401k. I already have a good chunk ready for a rainy day. Even after that it still gives me about $300 a week in spending money, and once my car is paid off, I will have even more. I have this planed out and ready to go. Just need some more idea on mod order. I forgot to mention that I already have tires (brand new Yokohona's) and I really hate blowing money on rims. Getting lowered could be a good idea, the sway bars and the FSTB I totally forgot about. Think I have an idea on what to do now. Wonder if I will be able to beat this guys probe, he CLAIMS to run a Stage 2 turbo with a 100 shot nitros. This is the same kid that ran nitro on an AUTO Turbo Eclipse (150,000 miles) and didnt know why he had to get his tranny rebuilt. LOL
Thanks
RB
Old 05-31-2001 | 07:55 PM

Re: You won't see..

Originally posted by DA-MAX
big gains from a port and polish on a Maxima, Don has already proved this. Why not get an exhaust? if a Y-pipe and cat back will yeild around 10-12+hp for starters! and with the entire WSP system available for $500 you can't beat that! it'll give you more HP than a P/P will ever do for an N/A Max...

and 3k for a good P/P job on the intake and heads is a damn ripoff!!

he was asking about the price for an engine rebuld as well. i probably didnt write that very clear. i was trying to say the rebuild and head and intake work all together. there is a place that will do the heads for $150 by my house. as far as the cat-back system adding significant hp, i would have to see it to believe it. not that your wrong, i just dont believe it. i could see if you got rid of all the cats.
Old 05-31-2001 | 08:13 PM

hmm.. first, s poiler and a ricey muffler aint gonna make you go faster. Id put the money towards somehting better, specially since you got a spoiler already (SE). what i suggest, first after all the maint. is get suspension! you cant go fast if you cant handle it. powers no fun if you cant control it. then go for some power stuff. i say do the y-pipe thing and go for some other stuff like custom headers, and maybe nos if you wanna do that to your car. But you konw what, aint 190 hp good enough? i mean if i wanted a FAST car i woulda bought an old american car. bleh, 160s good for me with my vg. all i want id to be able to control my car. i think an extra 3 and 2 hp there isnt gonna do much, and its just a waste of money.

just my 2 cents. oh, and i support the rims idea too heh. better handling, and improves the looks so much! but id rather stick to OEM and get the 2000 16" 5 spokers, which is what i plan to do this summer. you can get em for pretty good prices too, like 600 with tires on em at the most. And it helps in more then one way.
Old 05-31-2001 | 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe
But you konw what, aint 190 hp good enough? i mean if i wanted a FAST car i woulda bought an old american car. bleh, 160s good for me with my vg. all i want id to be able to control my car. i think an extra 3 and 2 hp there isnt gonna do much, and its just a waste of money.
You can never have enough power.
Old 05-31-2001 | 08:29 PM

Well said, my friend. Well said.
Old 05-31-2001 | 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Dirksmoothe

You can never have enough power.
hehe.. oh i agree with ya there, but cmon its a nissan maxima. i mean, i wish my maxima could run 11's, and be rocket fast but you konw what, its not. and the difference between 17 and 16 quarter mile, oooh. haha, i mean its a maxima, its not a viper, and you cant really turn it into one either. well maybe drop in a new engine hehe. but im saving that for my 510 project car, now that things gonna have speed!! hehe
Old 05-31-2001 | 10:32 PM

I have a thing for middle of the road products (not the maxima is bad, but its not top dog) and making them the best the can. Hell, I modded the hell outta all my paintball guns. I like to see what things can DO! See what the factory could improve on. And you can NEVER have too much power!!

RB
Old 06-01-2001 | 08:11 AM

Revised List

This is what I already have:
Brand new Yokhana tires on stock rims, would like to keep them. Thats about all that I have.
Here is what I will do:
1. brakes
2. Full tune up (Plugs, fuel pump, filter, H20 Pump, 02 Sensor, all that stuff too.)
3. FSTB
4. Sway Bar
5. Rest of suspension (lowring, struts, that stuff)
6. Y Pipe
7. CAI
8. Body work (paint/dent removel damn hooters parking lot)
9. Replace the rest of the exhaust
10. Spoiler
11. Little stero work
12. It will be done

This sound like a better list to people? Give me some brands that are worth my money! I dont want to buy junk! Cant wait to take this to the track. Im going to take it after the brakes get done to get a base 1/4 mile time to see what my mods get me. The last time at the track for it will be before the stero. All the extra weight will **** up my times.
Thanks for any imput,
RB
Old 06-02-2001 | 05:05 AM

well if you have plenty of money

i would like 2 maxima.org stickers(silver), stillen body kit, bmw lights, piaa bulbs(green), sebring exhaust, y pipe, and CAI. anything else i can't remeber will be posted this week thanx! =) Man i love this place lol oooooo yeah a new paint job and flames on it lol only 1500.00
Old 06-02-2001 | 09:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by roman
Ok..
I make more than that and I'm guessing I'm one or two years older than you and I don't see a dime of extra cash. First try to save up some money and then see if you have all that "extra cash." Oh..if you have a girlfriend...hahahah..then forget it! You ain't gonna see that money. Just be prepared to cry after you see how much money you're throwing uncle sam's way.
My suggestion: leave your car alone....save up a few grand and then start modding your car without touching that money. Invest it or something.
I have been sitting back and just reading what you fellas have been saying and now I think it is my time to intervene. I work as an Internal Auditor for the Georgia Department Of Labor. I make some serious money. (Not that I work that hard for it ) I earn close to $52,000 per year. Sicne I am in South GA and the cost of living is dirt cheap, I thought that I would have more moeny than I would know what to do with. WRONG!!! After you figure that the "Gubment" is going to take about 1/3 of that in taxes and other deductions, that leaves me with about $34,000 or so. Well, then after you factor in rent, utilities, food, other bills, house insurance, car insurance, life insurance, student loan payment, and other misc. things, that brings it down to about $20,000 per year. When you factor in the old ball-n-chain (girlfriend), that drops me to about $14,000 per year. (About $500 per month). Since I just bought an engagement ring, that hammers me to $9000 that I have to show for working 50 hours per week for a year. That really gives me the redass. So, class, what have we learned today? 1.) The federal government will rape you. Really. 2.) Bills suck. 3.) Girls are expensive. 4.) Jewelers are rapists as well. (5 G's for an engagement ring that included a lifetime warranty) 5.) You never have as much dinero as you think you do. 6.) Find somewhere else to live. 7.) You can afford a car if you cut back on the other things. 8.) You can mod a car to your heart's delight but you don't have any money for other things.
Old 06-05-2001 | 09:44 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

All I gotta say is live it up while you're at home. Making $35K straight out of high school is extremely good (unless we're talking about Cali or the northeast). Have thought about going to college? The reason I say this is that you might be making a lot now, but later on you're still gonna be hovering in the the lower 40K range where as your college friends will be making 60K. I've seen it happen over and over with some of my non-college graduating friends. Just something to think about.

My wife and I live in Kansas City and make a combine income of about 65K (we're in our mid 20s). We've got no car payments or school loans. Monthly, we've got a $770 house payment, $450 in food (mostly cooking at home), $120 in home improvement, $200 in home bills, $400 to the 401K and IRAs, $100 in car insurance, $120 in gas, and $400 in various other goods. When the month is over, there isn't much left. Uncle Sam, medical, and my 401K take 40% of my paycheck. My wife has her own business and he takes 40%. Uncle Sam doesn't like it when people start their own business.

Have fun and play for a while.

Dave
Old 06-05-2001 | 10:53 AM

Play

Thats why I am playing now while I still can :-) I plan on putting a lot of it away, but with no rent or food costs, I will have pleanty of extra cash. I make $600 month right now and I have extra cash from that, when I make $35k a year I will for sure have money left for playing!
RB
Old 06-05-2001 | 07:15 PM

Originally posted by FitzMax
So, so, sooooo true about the girlfriend thing. Yeah, the minute she sees you throwing money at your car, then it all starts.
They love it when you decide to spend all weekend "wrenchin on the car" (drinkin beer with your buddies)

Invest the money in something that will make you happy and last forever: tools! and a really expensive ball bearing craftsman tool box.
Old 06-05-2001 | 09:37 PM

Hahahaha! I know, I wish I could get my girl into the import scene, then she would understand how addictive this is, and she would let me buy her tools and stuff for the holidays that we could both use! Maybe someday....
Old 06-06-2001 | 06:05 AM

Re: Play

Thats why I am playing now while I still can :-) I plan on putting a lot of it away, but with no rent or food costs, I will have pleanty of extra cash. I make $600 month right now and I have extra cash from that, when I make $35k a year I will for sure have money left for playing!
RB
Have fun and play till your heart is content. You won't always be young. You will get a more wise and you grow older. Not that I am that much older than you. I am only 23. I am working 50 hrs per week and STILL attending college to get my MBA. After that, it is off to law school or maybe a Ph.D. program in governmental economics (basically = bad). I would kill to be 18 and fresh out of high school. Ahhhh, the things I know now could benefit me so much.
Old 06-06-2001 | 10:01 AM
Ford Only.

You said it my freind.I think that is every mans dream w/ a GF mine gets mad at me just for washing my car then when a new mod arrives in the mail.She is fuming! I once knew a chick she was a hoe but she could rebuild transmissions and motors.Dude she would love to change your oil.
Old 06-06-2001 | 10:37 AM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
You said it my freind.I think that is every mans dream w/ a GF mine gets mad at me just for washing my car then when a new mod arrives in the mail.She is fuming! I once knew a chick she was a hoe but she could rebuild transmissions and motors.Dude she would love to change your oil.
I make my GF help out when I do stuff with the car or with the 4wheeler. I think it's cool because she now knows how much work and pride I put into things. Also, she likes the fact that I REFUSE to pay someone to something that I could do myself if I can only find the time. I used to compete in car stereo competitions and she would even attend some of them with me. It was really cool when she got to the point that she wanted a SQ (sound quality) system in her car. We worked on it together and it has brought it closer. I am really glad that she doesn't mind me spending so much time with everything, especially since I proposed to her and we are getting married. Speaking of changing your oil, she helped me do that a week ago. She got dirty, greasy, hot, and sweaty, and honestly loved every minute of it.
Old 06-06-2001 | 11:49 AM
OG and counting...

...and now, a word from the totally single

It's true that having a gf can be expensive but sometimes being without one can be expensive as well. That is because we will have the propensity to spend on ourselves (modding and maintaining the Max falls in there as well).
Old 06-06-2001 | 02:37 PM

Re: ...and now, a word from the totally single

Originally posted by PrinzII
It's true that having a gf can be expensive but sometimes being without one can be expensive as well. That is because we will have the propensity to spend on ourselves (modding and maintaining the Max falls in there as well).
True, true. Although it has been a good while since I have been without one. I think having a GF helps you to learn to budget your money and be more responsible.
Old 06-06-2001 | 02:55 PM
Ford Only.

I can tell you from experience...Having a GF for 6 years and a kid living with you helps you balance your money...And really crave more mods!