3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE30DE build details

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jwmaxse
I'd like to hear some more info on the porting job. So you said that someone did your heads for you but you're planning on learning how to do it as well? What exactly did you have done to the heads and what was the total cost of getting them done, shipping too?

I have a VG30ET that I'd like to get some head work done on, there's a problem with one of the lifters or valves (it's tapping pretty loud) and as long as I have them out I'd like to get them ported.

I'd look forward to hearing more updates on your project. Good to see another local maxima enthusiast
I'm originally from Albany GA. The machine shop down there is the best in the region and I have been dealing with them for 10+ years. The head guy down there has been porting for years and knows his stuff, especially with Datsuns and Nissan. He also does heads for Bekkers (BMW/MB) and for a vette shop down there. There were 2 trips over a year period that I was passing through so I dropped them off and picked them up some months later. A local shop did the actuall valve job and block work for so the guy in GA got the heads bare. In the near future I will be discussing them doing VG and VE heads for me to sell on my website once it's going. Right now I am not stocking any heads although I do have a complete VE core and a pair of VG heads to get started. Once I get some pricing done then I will post it on here and on my website. I will definately look into a group deal for org members. Right now, I am not comfortable with my porting skills to do for others. I considered attempting to do this VE but was intimidated so I left it to a pro. I personally had an issue with how the stock valve bowls were cast and I'm sure a pro would too. I know he got all that straightened out. I was afraid of getting into water. I know that all porters have their secrets and he would be one not to share his. Looking at the work in my heads you can't help to know that air with move better. I would rather not quote what he charged me; it was a deal where he had all the time in the world that he wanted to do them so it wasn't a situation where I needed them back by next Friday. Thanks for your interest. If your around Peoria, look me up and we can compare rides.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

So you're in Peoria, IL. but you drove the heads down to Albany, GA. that's a awful long drive for a port job. I'm not debating where you decided to take the heads, your sig was confusing me a little. I need to participate in these boards more frequent instead of lurking. Good job on what you've done so far, can't say much that hasn't been said already. Just one question, synthetic or dino oil? One more thing, us auto VE's have been known to dyno good numbers compared to our 5spd comrades.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:00 AM

Actually I didn't make a special trip just for the heads. There were 2 different times I had to drive down there so the heads got a free ride. There wasn't a time limit I had so it just worked out that way. If I start selling heads then I will have to factor in freight. I normally fly back home anyway since I work the airlines, that's free. On the oil...The first couple of turns are getting dino because I do the first couple changes on short order. After that I will be going to Mobil 1. Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 08:04 PM

I've got an extra VE engine and in time I have plans to build it up.... I'll make sure to bookmark this thread.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 PM

I'm a little late to the conversation but wanted to add:

re: knock sensor. My understanding (but lacking true fact) was that the ECU is set up to run on 91 octane, and the knock sensor is there for the folks who want to run cheaper gas. Running 92 or 93 octane with a stock ECU and stock timing should be pretty safe. Just tell me you jumped the connector with a resistor so that it doesn't pull timing because it doesn't see the KS. You know it won't light the MIL, right?

Oil passages and VTCs: previous post was (I think) referring to the TSB on the VTC failures. As long as they are clean....

Cams: I never did much research but was curious at one point. Somewhere buried in the millions of posts is at least one company that made cams. I don't think they were reground. They probably don't have them on the shelf (or they've been there for a while) but have specs to make them. Crane, Isky, E-something? Don't remember... someone else maybe. But you'll have to look as hard as I did moons ago. They are buried in their catalog somewhere and can make them... or some one will grind you a new set... but don't know what custom costs.