3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tranny still leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:13 PM

Tranny still leaking!

well ever since i put this tranny in it has been leaking some oil. not badly but i could tell it was leakin a bit. within the last month or so ive been noticing spots in the driveway... then when i had it jacked up in the garage for a week there was a decent size puddle on the floor. well i thought maybe when i put my new axles the leaking would stop... i dunno. but i put em in last weekend and its been sitting for a week and tonight i just chekced it and its got a big puddle under it . i can see that its leaking from around the driver axle. is there a seal in there i can replace?(is this the one you have to rip the tranny apart?!?!?!? i already ripped my old one apart twice PITA)

well heres some pics. lemme know what u think.

Oil building up between axle n tranny

Drippinng down and off of tranny

OH and by the way. my brother has a 4th gen and was saying he read soemething about gl-4(or gl-5) fluid being bad for his tranny. i got some oil saying its for GL-3, GL-4, and GL-5 applications. does a certian GL hurt our trannys like the 4th gens? and if so does it count that its for all 3 and not just the gl-4(or 5 whichevers bad for it)?

P.S.
i had redline mt-90 in it before but i dont have ANY money to get more but then again i dont wanna ruin my tranny and have to pay for another. I just need something to stick in there that wont damage it until i get 50 spare bucks.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM

Puddle on the floor
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if its coming out where the axles go in, then its the axle seals. they are like 6-10 dollars a piece but you are going to be wishing you had put them in before you put those axles back in.
also spend the extra 6 dollars for the seal-puller, they work and some manuals will have pictures of the seals being pried out with a screwdriver, pretty stupid idea if you ask me.
when you put the new seals in, hammer them gently in by placing the old seal on top and moving around the entire length many times over, getting them in straight can be tough but going slow helps.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:31 AM

whewwwwwwwwwww thank god... lol. takin the axles out ist that bad, plus i already have it all jacked up and the wheels r off. i thought i was gonna have to take out the tranny O.O

thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tonyklem
...need something to stick in there that wont damage it until i get 50 spare bucks.
Good point is that u got $till some oil.

Only money & Minty tips hlp. There are snake oil additives which swell the seals. Dont know if u want try that - to swell all seals... I'd buy the seals at dealership to get right ones at once, theyre cheap.

Btw, I am the Mintys (6$ savin') screwdriver man. I dont care how warped the old seals come ut
Old 11-14-2005, 12:57 AM

i can smell that crap by just looking at those pics..you're a lucky sob if removing your passenger axle is an easy task as you say it is. if you want cheap gear lube, just go to napa and buy a gallon of gl-4. there's a aqua colored label. it's about $13, don't use that all purpose stuff. it shouldn't even exist. i hope your luck changes after this and you can stop worrying about the tranny like it sounds like you have been.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:25 AM

ya my tranny was a horror story. when i first got the car, clutch was totaly fried, and i bought it thinking that it was just the clutch(thats what the guys said was wrong with it.) but once i got the new clutch in i drove it for about a week and it popped out of 1st ALL the time. it got so bad i had to just eliminate using 1st. then 2nd started to pop out... and when 2md popped out i was on my way home and before i got home i was stopped a a stop sign and i could not get it into gear... i ended up kicking the shifter(lol) and i got it into 2nd and just drove it home (like 3 minutes) very carefully. dropped the tranny and took it to a guy i kno. he told me it was beyond repair .
so then i bought a used one off of here with 40k on it. it took about 3 months to get that damn thing because the guy was Fn around with some crate or some crap , blah blah blah. when i finally got it it took me a good week to put it in all the way.(it was winter and my garage isnt insulated!!!) so when i got it in it was fine.
then, my driver axle went bad so i decided top replace both of em cuz the other one would click once in a long while. and now im here with my leaking seals..... thats pretty much my troubles in a nutshell.(tranny only, many others have come along the way)

P.S. Hectic
the driver side axle is easy(luckily the one im having trouble with) but the pass side is a royal PITA
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tonyklem
P.S. Hectic
the driver side axle is easy(luckily the one im having trouble with) but the pass side is a royal PITA
damn skippy. make sure to grease and lube that sucker up for next time...
Old 11-14-2005, 09:25 AM

heheh roger that... wiure brushes n greased it up reeeaaaalllll good

...but hopefully there wont be a "next time"
Old 11-14-2005, 06:14 PM

hey Tony

same thing happened to me when i changed my driver axle with a reman'd one from NAPA. turned out they and AZ have the wrong part listed. this has been discussed in many threads. but in short, i fixed the leak only by getting the axle for the VE AUTO which is slightly longer and fully inserts into the tranny. if the seal doesn't fix it (which didn't work for me after 3 seals), then i suggest going for another axle. AZ part numbe was 9781 for me.