3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can we use anything off of a J30?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can we use anything off of a J30?

Just found a decent looking J30 at a local junk yard. Front is beat in pretty bad, but I truly don't know anything about these cars. Does anything fit/upgrade the max? I sort of like the seats, but besides that, is there any special item I should grab? I figure there probably is not much in common as it is a rear-wheel drive car. Also just out or curiosity, what engine do they have?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Vg30de .
Old 11-29-2005, 05:03 PM

the have dual piston brake calipers i think, so maybe a bbk could be made?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by twinkle
the have dual piston brake calipers i think, so maybe a bbk could be made?

Old 11-29-2005, 05:36 PM

...thats what i said....
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM

I did that upgrade about 2 months ago and have been going to do a small writeup ever since but havent gotten around to it..

Its Not a bolt on swap, ill say that right off the bat. I thought they might have been when i saw the calipers in the junkyard so i bought them ($10 each). Later that day i found out otherwise.

There are two benifits to useing the J30 calipers. There two piston calipers obviously, and instead of useing a (roughly) 3/4 inch thick roter, they use a 1-1/8 inch thick roter. That is the Benifit that really caught my eye.

Im going to do a writeup now and will do it in a new thread.

Jeremy
Old 11-29-2005, 08:11 PM
mod or sell?

where in illinois you at?
I may want to look at your upgrade.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by geoff.doctor
Just found a decent looking J30 at a local junk yard. Front is beat in pretty bad, but I truly don't know anything about these cars. Does anything fit/upgrade the max? I sort of like the seats, but besides that, is there any special item I should grab? I figure there probably is not much in common as it is a rear-wheel drive car. Also just out or curiosity, what engine do they have?
I'm not an expert on these, but they are more akin to the 300ZX... same engine and trans (rear?). If you had a decent J30, you'd at least have options getting a bit more potency out of it... I think it'd be cool, but it is like 5 or 6 hundred pounds heavier than a maxima. A Q45 engine, or VG30DETT in a J30??? Hmmmmmmmm.

Sorry.... I know, this is "MAXIMA.ORG".
Old 11-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

J30 = 300zx luxo-sled. Not much at all crosses over, that car is rwd. and it has the vg30de wich may or may not fit in a max...but why bother. Maybe the steering wheel?
Old 11-30-2005, 07:07 AM

the vg30de will not fit in the max,

the only engine from the vg family that could possible fit into the max is the vg30et,
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 AM
STFU n00b!

I've worked on many J30s in the last few months (I do regular maintenance for three customers w/ J30s).
there is NOTHING in those cars similar to ours.

the VG30DE engine is even slightly different than the Z32 NA motor. I have one of each sitting in the garage right now. the intake and exhaust manifolds are slightly different, but otherwise the drivetrain is the same. I used the FSM for a Z32 while swapping an engine and changing timing belts. everything lined up fine there.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 AM
I'm needing a caw

You use the same procedure with the J30 twin piston calipers(with stock j30 rotors) as you would fitting the 300zx 4 piston calipers(with stock 300zx rotors)

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
I did that upgrade about 2 months ago and have been going to do a small writeup ever since but havent gotten around to it..

Its Not a bolt on swap, ill say that right off the bat. I thought they might have been when i saw the calipers in the junkyard so i bought them ($10 each). Later that day i found out otherwise.

There are two benifits to useing the J30 calipers. There two piston calipers obviously, and instead of useing a (roughly) 3/4 inch thick roter, they use a 1-1/8 inch thick roter. That is the Benifit that really caught my eye.

Im going to do a writeup now and will do it in a new thread.

Jeremy
Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wheels will fit.

Originally Posted by geoff.doctor
Old 11-30-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You use the same procedure with the J30 twin piston calipers(with stock j30 rotors) as you would fitting the 300zx 4 piston calipers(with stock 300zx rotors)
That must be one way of doing it, i did it useing the J30 rotors, and Maxima caliper mounts. All bolts up, only thing that needs to be fabricated is a spacer to space the rotor out 1/16 of an inch.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
the vg30de will not fit in the max
I know this has been addressed before, but what is/was it about the VG30DE that it doesn't fit into the Max? Always wondered. I figured it was an issue of space, or- at the very least- Nissan didn't want the Maxima nipping at a 300's heels (not that much different in weight if I recall) but did want something more for the Max than the VG30E could provide. Thus, the VE for which ever reason- or both.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Space. Why Nissan developed the VE30DE just for a run of a few years is beyond me. Although I suspect it was a partial development tool for the VQ30 that came in 1995

Originally Posted by JC93SE
I know this has been addressed before, but what is/was it about the VG30DE that it doesn't fit into the Max? Always wondered. I figured it was an issue of space, or- at the very least- Nissan didn't want the Maxima nipping at a 300's heels (not that much different in weight if I recall) but did want something more for the Max than the VG30E could provide. Thus, the VE for which ever reason- or both.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM

Space.
The final frontier.

Seriously, it was pretty much the same block as the two VG engines (right?)... what was the space issue(s) that the VE "solution" solved over the VG30DE?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Blocks aren't the problem

Originally Posted by JC93SE
The final frontier.

Seriously, it was pretty much the same block as the two VG engines (right?)... what was the space issue(s) that the VE "solution" solved over the VG30DE?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:01 PM

Do you need bigger wheels to clear the brakes or will 16" wheels be enough?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 PM

Why Nissan developed the VE30DE just for a run of a few years is beyond me.
Pondering:

The VE came out in late 91 as a 92 model. The VE is basically a VG bottom with some mods and different top end (right?). How far in advance do ya think the design/preprodution/testing had to take place before actual production?

If I had to guess (wrongly maybe) I'd say:
* Nissan knew at some point the 3rd gen was going to run 6 years, that the Maxima had more potential than was available with the plain VG, and that it needed something to remain competitive in its segment, or to make Nissan look good anyway.
*At some point they realized the VG30DE (engineered years earlier than the VE) didn't fit in the Max (for whatever reason) but... they had the technology that worked well
*Engineering for the VE may have started before - or maybe concurrently with- the VQ, and was done more/less independently of each other. Engineering takes time.
*In the long range plan, Nissan knew that they would be using a VG-derived engine for several more years in something (Pathfinder, X-terra, Quest/Villager) and maybe hoped that the VE (in some form or derivation) could/would be employed in something. Maybe the VE engineering was started earlier than the VQ and originally envisioned for the 4th gen
*The "unresolved" VTC issue (or reputation) quashed further use of the engine, or the technology. J30s and 300ZXs were discontinued (in 96 and 97 respecively), and nothing had VTC until 5th gen Maximas, 4 years(?) after the last 300

My question is what took Nissan so long to move to the VQ in the rest of the appliccable fleet? There were redesigns on those models in there somewhere between its introduction and finally being used across the board. And, why did it take Nissan 5 years to introduce VTC on a VQ?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM

i feel they knew that 160 hp wasnt enough and wanted a test module for switching over to a dohc aluminum engine.

they had to compete with the early 90s cougars/thunderbirds and grand prixs. 160 just isnt enough on a J chassis. bad fuel economy for something so slow too.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM

Blocks aren't the problem
OK.... what is?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by alextothestars
bad fuel economy for something so slow too.
Bad fuel economy? I wouldnt say that. Alot of those cars are in the 18-25 range were we get 20-30 pretty easy. On the longer trips my 1st max (vg auto) got about 27-30mph. It'd get more im sure but those were long tips with lots of luggage. And Im sure my new max will/would get more because its a 5 speed and I run better gas in it.

Alot of people complain of bad gas mileage in anything they drive. But they also ignore the check engine light because its just an emssion problem, and mechanics tell people the car will run fine. Well most of the time its an o2 sensor, and its not too bad, and yet they drive thousands of miles with them and waste alot of money. Like my mom. Shes had an f150 for a year know, with that light on. I got the code read and it was an o2 sensor. And she gets 15 or so mpg. Really really bad, just dumping gas out of the tailpipe. A simple sensor and installation will go a long way to improve gas milage (if the sensor is out)

/rant about clueless drivers

~Alex

Old 11-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I do know the maf is the same as the Z32 in some year models. the five wire maf that where I got mine form .....But that dont work with a stock maxima.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by alpicone
Do you need bigger wheels to clear the brakes or will 16" wheels be enough?

Im not sure if you need bigger wheels with the way Jeffs talking about. I know with the way i did it you dont, it is the same physical dimensions as stock and will fit under stock wheels. The way he is talking about is Probably a bit better perfomance wise that the way i did it, however, The way i did it is Probably considerable cheaper and again will fit under 15s

Jeremy
Old 11-30-2005, 06:34 PM
STFU n00b!

The VE engine was essentially a "temporary" engine designed to stick in the Maxima before the VQ was released. the technology was already there in the Z32 engine, developed years before.

the big difference between the VE30DE and VG30DE is the valve angle on the heads, and the intake manifold.
the intake on the VG30DE was too large to fit under the hood of a MAxima, and the heads were too wide. the engine is something like 4" wider than a VE. and if you look at the VE crammed in our engine bay, there is zero chance that an engine 4" wider would fit in there after you stick all the random hoses and crap on it as well.

the reason they parted from the VG30E is that many other cars in the segment were beginning to eclipse them in power and acceleration. i.e. Taurus SHO, Grand Prix GTP/Turbo, and other cars of that type. they needed more power to compete, thus the VE30DE was designed and built.

considering the time it takes to design and build an engine, control systems, and etc, I'd say they started on this engine about 88 or 89, (just a wild guess, really), and designed it to go into an existing platform so it took a lot of time out of the equation between concept to market.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
The intake on the VG30DE was too large to fit under the hood of a MAxima, and the heads were too wide. the engine is something like 4" wider than a VE.
Thanks....
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM

actually,

nissan put the vg30e in the max during 85-88,

that was the second gen, the first to receive a vg30e,

before the first gen got a 24l engine,
Old 12-01-2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Bad fuel economy? I wouldnt say that. Alot of those cars are in the 18-25 range were we get 20-30 pretty easy. On the longer trips my 1st max (vg auto) got about 27-30mph. It'd get more im sure but those were long tips with lots of luggage. And Im sure my new max will/would get more because its a 5 speed and I run better gas in it.

Alot of people complain of bad gas mileage in anything they drive. But they also ignore the check engine light because its just an emssion problem, and mechanics tell people the car will run fine. Well most of the time its an o2 sensor, and its not too bad, and yet they drive thousands of miles with them and waste alot of money. Like my mom. Shes had an f150 for a year know, with that light on. I got the code read and it was an o2 sensor. And she gets 15 or so mpg. Really really bad, just dumping gas out of the tailpipe. A simple sensor and installation will go a long way to improve gas milage (if the sensor is out)

/rant about clueless drivers

~Alex
putting 4DSC on a car being marketed to business men is misleading when you get your *** handed to you by little lasers with turbos that get 30+mpg.

they shoulda started the 3.5 in the maxima in 92 or 94.5, but i guess they didnt want the competition to make something better than that at the time; no reason to run yourself out of business or dominate an industry for a few years when you can offer competion infinitely.

an example: ps3 should offer higher bitrates than the xbox360 and charge the same prices as their inferior competitors; they have the technology...theyre just milking it; thats how you make headlines, money, and history.(ps3 will, by the way, NOT offer higher bitrates than xbox360; it will roughly weigh in at 256, just like their competitors and will NOT make headlines or history...but it WILL make money off of the loyal fansbase...)

thats all its about; money.
all car companies are about money, but some actually think about determinates like customer satisfaction more than others...

i LOVE my maxima, but i think nissan should "offer higher bitrates" than their competitors instead of weighing in just underneath of their competition every time. that way, you and i wouldnt have to spend the extra thousands on modding our cars to match the competitors when we could have just bought one of the other cars with better gas mileage!

my dad's o2 sensor went out on his 00' gxe; gets same gas mileage. he has actually told the mechanics that he would rather straight pipe it than replace the (what is it? 3 or 4 o2 sensors on the 5th gen?) at $200 a pop.hahaha.
the o2 sensors arent the problem, its the engines that burn fuel inefficiently because they arent fully researched; then we wouldnt need 3-4 o2 sensors to regulate emmissions.

i hate honda, but i think nissan should start taking a few pointers. HEAR ME NISSAN? I WANT AN AWESOME 7th GEN MAXIMA FOR WHEN I GET OUT OF COLLEGE AND HAVE THE MONEY!!! THE GRAND ****** AND ECLIPSUCKS ARE GOING DOWN TO CHINA TOWN!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 PM

....AND THATS NATURALLY ASPIRATED, btw!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
the reason they parted from the VG30E is that many other cars in the segment were beginning to eclipse them in power and acceleration. i.e. Taurus SHO, Grand Prix GTP/Turbo, and other cars of that type. they needed more power to compete, thus the VE30DE was designed and built.
exactly. and as you noted, those cars were supercharged/turbo'd as opposed to the stock maxima. no use wasting gas if youre not speeding hardcore.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

The SHO was NA

Originally Posted by alextothestars
exactly. and as you noted, those cars were supercharged/turbo'd as opposed to the stock maxima. no use wasting gas if youre not speeding hardcore.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

The SHO was NA

SHO= 3.2l dohc 5 speed....92-95 models...96-99 3.4l dohc...

Edit: Auto tranny optional in 93 models...
Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 AM

How many SHO's do you still see on the road? Not many. Tauruses were crap cars from the beginning. They were cool in their day, but not very durable.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:42 PM

Im not sure if you need bigger wheels with the way Jeffs talking about. I know with the way i did it you dont, it is the same physical dimensions as stock and will fit under stock wheels. The way he is talking about is Probably a bit better perfomance wise that the way i did it, however, The way i did it is Probably considerable cheaper and again will fit under 15s

Jeremy

I'd like to hear some more info on this. So what kind of spacers do you need. Did you notice much of a difference in performance?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
actually,

nissan put the vg30e in the max during 85-88,

that was the second gen, the first to receive a vg30e,

before the first gen got a 24l engine,
What maximagxe90 just said gave me an idea..

What if... The VE was always meant and ready to go into the 3rd gen since day one??? The VG was just there to hold the competition at bay till Nissan felt it was the right time to insert the real character into the 3rd gen, which they did, but a bit later then planned, because probably the VG did such a great job that the VE was only needed in action in late 91? That may explain why the VE was alive for such a short time. It was intended to have a much longer life. It was intended for the 3rd gen Maxima and only the 3rd gen Maxima. Nothing else. If there was a story to believe in the many VE tales out there, I may as well go with this one

Unless someone can find a mis-interpretation on my part of course.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
What maximagxe90 just said gave me an idea..

What if... The VE was always meant and ready to go into the 3rd gen since day one??? The VG was just there to hold the competition at bay till Nissan felt it was the right time to insert the real character into the 3rd gen, which they did, but a bit later then planned, because probably the VG did such a great job that the VE was only needed in action in late 91? That may explain why the VE was alive for such a short time. It was intended to have a much longer life. It was intended for the 3rd gen Maxima and only the 3rd gen Maxima. Nothing else. If there was a story to believe in the many VE tales out there, I may as well go with this one

Unless someone can find a mis-interpretation on my part of course.
no because the taurus sho came out in 89 with 220hp so if nissan had the VE then they would have used it

by the way the sho 5spds had a 3.0 not the 3.2 it was the autos that had a 3.2 for more tq to give simalare performance of the 5spds i beleive an auto was offered all the years the 5spd ended in 96
Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94

SHO= 3.2l dohc 5 speed....92-95 models...96-99 3.4l dohc...

Edit: Auto tranny optional in 93 models...
The 96-99 Taurus SHO was also a V8 albeit only a 3.4L
Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by jwmaxse
I'd like to hear some more info on this. So what kind of spacers do you need. Did you notice much of a difference in performance?
Im workin on making a thread, got to get the pictures all up or else it wont be as good..

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 12:28 AM

Im workin on making a thread, got to get the pictures all up or else it wont be as good..

Jeremy
I'll be waiting for that...I'm a cheapskate who doesn't want to give up his stock sawblades but still wants a brake upgrade.

Quick Reply: Can we use anything off of a J30?