3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas overflow vent hose repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 AM

Gas overflow vent hose repair

I replaced my gasoline overflow vent hose last July/August.

Symptom was a minor gas leak, bigger depending on the amount of gas I put in my tank/pressure forcing gas out.
You will, as well, not hear the pressure escape the gas tank whenever you remove the gas cap to refill.

I had noticed a slight gas smell for a while, but knew there was a leak when I filled up my car before I went to St. Louis to see Billy Corgan play; there was a constant drip for about 2 minutes. It stopped after that.

When the tank is filled with less gas, you will just noticed that your brake line will be a little wet from the slow leak in the hose above it.

Little 1 foot section of hose; pain in the *** to get to, but I found that removing the driver's side rear tire gets you the best angle to it.
The culprit was a SMALL crack in the hose that the gas tends to leak from when pressure builds up. Hose must have gotten a lot of wear and play.

Very cheap fix; 5 or 6 dollars I believe.
I had to buy a few lines to get the right fit because no one had metric gas hoses locally; can't remember the correct size off of the top of my head.
Just measure the diameter of the metal lines that the hose clamps on to...the old hose will be stretched wider than it originally was and you will not get a correct diameter measurement/tight fit.

No need to bleed gas lines...it's just an overflow hose.

I'm just curious...who else has had to replace this on their 3rd gen other than me?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:45 AM
I will eat your children

i had to do mine i had a scrap piece of hose laying around that i used. i filled my car up and it clicked at 20.20 and the kid pushed ut all the way to 21 and the car just started pissin out that extra gas. i was really pissed. but i was then happy it was a cheap fix
Old 12-01-2005, 07:09 AM
STFU n00b!

yeah, that's a normal fix on these cars. fuel vapors are very corrosive to rubber, and that's what that hose is for- it's a vent tube to let air escape from the gas tank while you're filling with fuel.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Someone that had my car ebfore me used a peice of garden hose to fix it

I woudl replace it but my fuel filler tube is SHOT and I cannot get it to seal so what si the point right now, Hopefully the other car hasa good one
Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 PM

I replaced it without taking the tire off it was hard as crap to get to and i kept nocking dirt off the suspension into my eyes. I hated that job but it is fixed now!

We checked everywhere for the hose but could not find the right size. so i used a heater hose not gas hose unfortunatlly.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:30 PM

I've been needing to replace mine for a little while. Everytime I fill up I leave a huge spot of gas on the floor... what a waste! Maybe I'll get to it this weekend. Anybody know what diameter hose is needed?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 PM

nope, but its not much...i remember it was smaller than the tip of my pinky and im 5'11 and weigh about 155; just take it off and get a friend to take you to a parts store with tons of stuff; show them the old hose and remind them that the hose needs to be a TAD bit smaller in diameter because the old hose has been stretched over the lines in order to keep a tight fit

remember, youre measuring the width of the metal lines because the hose sizes are measured by the INSIDE diameter, or the width of the hole inside of it.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
I replaced it without taking the tire off it was hard as crap to get to and i kept nocking dirt off the suspension into my eyes. I hated that job but it is fixed now!
haha, yep; same thing happened to me, even with the tire off
Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
We checked everywhere for the hose but could not find the right size. so i used a heater hose not gas hose unfortunatlly.
Gas is probably going to eat through that hose. Gas line hose, power steering hose, and transmission line would be better 'cus they have differnt rubber inside.

Neverminde that... went to the dealer and got THE hose because I couldn't get the right size at the parts store. Store hose was too big/small... Nissan hose went right on. Don't remember how much but wasn't worth the aggrivation not to get it.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Did mine last year and got one from the dealer since it was les than $10.00 for a foot. It was hard to put it back on since my hands are not small. I was glad that I got the right size from the 'stealership' because if I bought one from an auto part store base on the the old hose, I would got a much bigger size since the old one was streched.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:08 PM

I replaced mine 2 weeks ago with a piece of 5/8" fuel line I got from a diesel mechanic friend. I went ahead and used screw type hose clamps. Heater hose will probably rot in a year or 2.