3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My $50 max

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:33 AM

My $50 max

A few weeks ago I brought my first maxima for AU$50 (91 VG30E Auto). Its a "repairable writeoff" and I got it at a local auction....I couldn't belive it went for so little

Anyway, before I saw it I just wanted one of the power window motors for my 88 Z31 300zx (VG30ET motor)...because I can't get parts locally and usually end up getting them from the states....but now I fallen in love with the max

Here are some pictures

After putting some petrol in her, and changing the battery she fired right up. There is a bit of belt squeal which I think is coming from the timing belt and there is a clicking that sounds like the lifters. I only ran it for 5min so I will look it those things later. I also didn't check how the transmission shifts....I will need to take her out onto the road for that. Driving up and down the driveway sounded and felt OK.

All the electrics work except the back two windows. Both headlight glass needs to be replaced, and so does the windscreen (big crack). The main damage is to the front end. Looks like someone ran into a short pole or something....has bent in the aircon cooler. Is there an easy way to test if there is still refrigerant in the system? I turned on the aircon when I started her up and it did go cold....so I'm guessing that it isn't leaking

I am going to ring around and see if I can get a new bumper from the wreckers....but I doubt there are many around here...I havn't seen many on the road. If it's anything like the 300zx then I will have no luck. So I'm wondering if I can just reshape the bumper/weld it up? I am just going to fibreglass the plastic and respray that part.

One last question, what is that in the two photos above? Larger images are in the link above if that helps. I am guessing that it is something to do with the heater? Its completly disconnected....I dont need heat in the cabin, so is it safe to leave alone?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:44 AM

i think it is the windshield washer motor either fro the fluid or for the wiper blades..i could be wrong though..... you fixed your maxima up pretty nicely.... it looks like the last owner took it off-roading!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The damage doesn't look too bad at all, and a very nice find for that price! I think some of the bent hoses should be left alone, unless they are leaking. If you bend those hoses back to the way it was, weak spot may develops that will either crack right away, or slowly leak later down the road. Also, since the air conditioner is a non-vital part of the car (as in the car will still drives without it), I think that your main worries should be centered around mechanical/safety problems first. Nice 300zx btw, is that the turbo version?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Way out West

Nice find for $50. Too bad you aren't in the US, that would be fairly easy to find parts for. It's also too bad shipping to AU is so damn expensive.

Keep us updated on the progress, it looks like you are doing well so far.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
I think some of the bent hoses should be left alone, unless they are leaking.
The hoses in front of the aircon arent actually bent in. They are mounted to the frame using rubber and all that was bent was the mounting hardware...was luckly there

I think that your main worries should be centered around mechanical/safety problems first.
I agree there. My plan is to check all brakes, wheels, steering etc and then take a quick trip around the block to check transmission. If that all seems OK I will continue fixing the front end. The actual body/frame hasn't got any damage, just the metal bumper so thats cool. I was thinking bash the bumber out then weld a strip of steel to the back for strength.

Nice 300zx btw, is that the turbo version?
Yup 88 turbo They are rare as over here....only problem is that is an auto. If I get this max going then I'm going to strip her down and do a little body work.

Hmm, I dont think its the windshield washer motor as its got a fairly large diameter pipe that goes through it (but its broken off). It also have a vac setup aswell. Thanks for the input anyway.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Yeah those pictures you posted are part of the heater system. If you don't want heat leave it alone, but chances are all you would have to do is buy some vacum hose and hook it back up and it will work fine. OR by pass it.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:05 PM

great buy...

I ve buy mine for 2600$ + 400 of repairs...
Old 12-04-2005, 03:06 PM

dude dont post ***** in these threads to get 15 posts... you can get banned
Old 12-04-2005, 07:54 PM

Im down in Melbourne and I see quite a few J30's around. Theres a few Nissan parts dealers down here which is good. Only tried them once so far for a spoiler, but most were lifting at the end like mine . Good luck with the repairs, got the car for a steal!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

$50 max squad for teh win!!!

Mine is a VE 5 speed though!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM

Bargain
According to the book i have the picture shows part of the manual air conditioning electrical componants the pipe thats not conected is something to do with the water **** solenoid valve does not say where the loose end fits. if i get chance i'll look at mine and let you know
Goes to the inlet maifold