3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Jdm Origin

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 12:02 PM

Jdm Origin

fourth and fifth gen maximas were based on the jdm cefiro. i believe second gen was based on the bluebird(not sure). where did we come from?
Old 12-04-2005, 12:20 PM

our moms tummy
Old 12-04-2005, 12:39 PM

ha ha funny
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM

i think the 3rd gen resembles the cefiro and skyline put together not to say thats where they came from
Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Yeah I say mix a cedric,gloria,skyline and cefiro together and you get the 3rd gen
Old 12-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Im izz sexay

I would say it evolved from the 2nd gen. It is nothing but a 2nd gen just a little longer and rounded out. That is unless you have a VE.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:59 PM
I miss my VE

Just the next gen max, after the 2nd.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:01 PM
mod or sell?

we also got 5 nuts instead of 4 on the wheels
Old 12-04-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
we also got 5 nuts instead of 4 on the wheels
yay we have more nuts then the 2nd gens!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:46 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its a total bastard that shares nothing with anything.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all of you all are nuts we cam from the honda accord
Old 12-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Old 12-04-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

you are a BMW copy
Old 12-04-2005, 04:29 PM

these cars came from the gods.. they are powerful... and you can treat them like a $5.00 hooker... beat them....do what you want with them and they like it!!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
you are a BMW copy
haha yep i did
Old 12-04-2005, 07:06 PM

The 3rd Gen. Maxima, as well as the Pathfinder and Pulsar were the brain-children of Jerry Hirshberg and the newly developed Nissan Design International (NDI) that was built in San Diego. NDI was created to be a separate entity and bring a fresh, new perspective to the Nissan lineup. Traditionally, the Japanese engineers had a bigger role in the car concept - and although the engineering of the cars was great, the designing was more utilitarian and not as appealing to foreign markets. NDI was given nearly complete freedom to design cars that were more appealing, as well as forward-thinking in the design and function. Until the 3rd gen Maximas were produced, the Stanza and Sentra had always taken their styling cues from their big brother. Sentra owners could step up to a Stanza, and Stanza owners could step up to the Maxima. This idea was abandoned for the most part by NDI, who instead wanted to make each model the best in it's class, not just watered down versions of other cars in the Nissan lineup. The 1989 Maxima was an almost complete redesign inside and out, and a statement of what was to come from Nissan. The station wagon option was dropped, and the vision of the 4DSC came to life. It was considered by many to be the first Infiniti, the lineup that now continues to push the envelope of Nissan's design, engineering, performance, and luxury. If you were to look back on the lineup of Datsun/Nissan over the years, you could see where NDI began to change the face of cars to come. I think their first project was the 1986 1/2 pickup, which was a drastic change from the previous model. At the same time, the Pathfinder was in the works - a vehicle that never would have been created for the Japanese markets. With the bulging fenders and integrated rollbar, this truck just plain looked tough, and was an instant hit in the (intended) US market. Subsequently, the Maxima was reborn, the 300ZX was updated, the Stanza was dropped and replaced by the Altima (they can't get it right all the time ), and the Sentra went from a little tin can box car to one of the leaders in it's class and one sporty little ride.
So you might be wondering, 'well what happened to the 4th gen Max?' Well, the sales and production of the GXE model was much greater than the SE, and many of these buyers were using these cars more as grocery getters and baby toters. The market was not demanding the more aggressive and sporty handling of the 4DSC or SE as much as the more cushy GXE offerings. So for 1995, the Max once again got a makeover and most notably lost the rear independant suspension. Although there was a section of the market that disapproved, the sales of the Maxima continued to rise as it turned into a KSFC (kinda sporty family car)! The 3rd gen has always appealed to me since the first time I saw one, but after that (IMHO) things went downhill for the Maxima. Those that got hooked on the 3rd gens are now drawn to the new Altima's instead of the new bulky Maxima with the same engine.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
these cars came from the gods.. they are powerful... and you can treat them like a $5.00 hooker... beat them....do what you want with them and they like it!!!!!
Yeah until you blow your tranny like you did
Old 12-04-2005, 08:15 PM

lol true....after a while them $5.00 hookers cannot handle too much of a beating
Old 12-04-2005, 08:18 PM

haha yeah i hope i never learn the hard way
Old 12-04-2005, 08:22 PM

just teat her nicely..it is your first car right??? this is mine.. your first car you always dump a sh*t load of money into it and you beat the hell outta it... everybody does
Old 12-04-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
lol true....after a while them $5.00 hookers cannot handle too much of a beating
You're talking aobut the ones that hang out on the corner of broadway and morgan blvd in camden right, those ..... things, cause they sure arnt women, look REAL frail...and cracked out :-D
Old 12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

Why buy an altima w/ a 3.5, when you can get a Sentra w/ a 3.5!
Sentra with VQ35DE swapped into it! You may have already seen this.

I really like the 5th gens also. But yeah, the 3rd gens were kinda ahead of other Jap. makers at that time, just think about what an '89 camry, accord, diamante/galant or whatever mitsu had looked like at the time.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by twinkle
You're talking aobut the ones that hang out on the corner of broadway and morgan blvd in camden right, those ..... things, cause they sure arnt women, look REAL frail...and cracked out :-D
lol camden... dont want to touch them... they gots maggots crawling up in there...LOL
Old 12-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 90pearlSE
The 3rd Gen. Maxima, as well as the Pathfinder and Pulsar were the brain-children of Jerry Hirshberg and the newly developed Nissan Design International (NDI) that was built in San Diego. NDI was created to be a separate entity and bring a fresh, new perspective to the Nissan lineup. Traditionally, the Japanese engineers had a bigger role in the car concept - and although the engineering of the cars was great, the designing was more utilitarian and not as appealing to foreign markets. NDI was given nearly complete freedom to design cars that were more appealing, as well as forward-thinking in the design and function. Until the 3rd gen Maximas were produced, the Stanza and Sentra had always taken their styling cues from their big brother. Sentra owners could step up to a Stanza, and Stanza owners could step up to the Maxima. This idea was abandoned for the most part by NDI, who instead wanted to make each model the best in it's class, not just watered down versions of other cars in the Nissan lineup. The 1989 Maxima was an almost complete redesign inside and out, and a statement of what was to come from Nissan. The station wagon option was dropped, and the vision of the 4DSC came to life. It was considered by many to be the first Infiniti, the lineup that now continues to push the envelope of Nissan's design, engineering, performance, and luxury. If you were to look back on the lineup of Datsun/Nissan over the years, you could see where NDI began to change the face of cars to come. I think their first project was the 1986 1/2 pickup, which was a drastic change from the previous model. At the same time, the Pathfinder was in the works - a vehicle that never would have been created for the Japanese markets. With the bulging fenders and integrated rollbar, this truck just plain looked tough, and was an instant hit in the (intended) US market. Subsequently, the Maxima was reborn, the 300ZX was updated, the Stanza was dropped and replaced by the Altima (they can't get it right all the time ), and the Sentra went from a little tin can box car to one of the leaders in it's class and one sporty little ride.
So you might be wondering, 'well what happened to the 4th gen Max?' Well, the sales and production of the GXE model was much greater than the SE, and many of these buyers were using these cars more as grocery getters and baby toters. The market was not demanding the more aggressive and sporty handling of the 4DSC or SE as much as the more cushy GXE offerings. So for 1995, the Max once again got a makeover and most notably lost the rear independant suspension. Although there was a section of the market that disapproved, the sales of the Maxima continued to rise as it turned into a KSFC (kinda sporty family car)! The 3rd gen has always appealed to me since the first time I saw one, but after that (IMHO) things went downhill for the Maxima. Those that got hooked on the 3rd gens are now drawn to the new Altima's instead of the new bulky Maxima with the same engine.
ok I agree with a few of you. I see the resemblance to the older cefiro. noticed that years ago and thought that was our base until I noticed it was rwd. the 3rd gen also looks exactly like an evolutionary change to the 2nd gen (at least the front end). but what was this cars platform mate? did it have one or was it jus original???
Old 12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by rteenie22
ok I agree with a few of you. I see the resemblance to the older cefiro. noticed that years ago and thought that was our base until I noticed it was rwd. the 3rd gen also looks exactly like an evolutionary change to the 2nd gen (at least the front end). but what was this cars platform mate? did it have one or was it jus original???
The 3rd gen is an original platform. No other Nissan/Infinity car shares this chassis. Thus giving me the thought that the third gen was basically an improvement of the 2nd gen but with some more technological goodies and more lugs. Compare an 89 to an 88 engine specs. Very little has changed. Maybe a different tranny but it was probably a more effective tranny at that time. Most of the trannies that goes out on these cars lasted for almost 10 years before going out. The trannies are bad now but considering age they are quite reliable to it's competitors mileage vs. age wise. The third gen was in competition with the camry, and accord but it offers a larger body and engine. Nissan did this to stay ahead of competition as the 2nd gen is around the same size of a early 90's camry and accord sedan.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:30 PM

If you read the book "The Creative Priority" by Jerry Hirshberg, all of what I wrote is explained in greater detail. It's been a couple years since I read it, but I'm pretty sure what I wrote is accurate - not just speculation. I would recommend this book to anyone that is a true Nissan enthusiast or interested in design - luckily I managed to pick up a signed first edition several years ago.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:56 PM

this might be interesting to some http://www.nissanusa.com/insideNissa...1,,846,00.html
Old 12-05-2005, 05:14 PM

good find dude
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by 90pearlSE
The 3rd gen has always appealed to me since the first time I saw one, but after that (IMHO) things went downhill for the Maxima. Those that got hooked on the 3rd gens are now drawn to the new Altima's instead of the new bulky Maxima with the same engine.
Very interesting story, thanks. I also totally agree with you on how the Maxima is just getting bulkier and boring each year. The things that we found great in the 3rd gen seem to have shifted on to the Altima. That new SE-R is a monster! Gave my friends 06' 330i a run he won't forget, a few weeks back
Old 12-06-2005, 02:22 AM

yes I luv that se-r. I hate hate red cars but that se-r in red is what I want but it seems they have discontinued it and we have already sold our last one. nothin wrong wit an aztec red 3g either
Old 12-06-2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
all of you all are nuts we cam from the honda accord
you deserve a very hard slap across the face for that. look at an 89 accord and then look at an 89 maxima. now who copied who?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by rteenie22
but it seems they have discontinued it and we have already sold our last one.
you can thank the s at Nissan for putting the lame *** QR25 in there and killing the cars potential.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
you deserve a very hard slap across the face for that. look at an 89 accord and then look at an 89 maxima. now who copied who?
dude i think he was kidding.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 AM

heh, oops. well, i certainly hope so
Old 12-06-2005, 11:13 AM

I dont know if this is a repost but going the other way, have you guys seen the J31? The Nissan TEANA

Nevermind repost, just opened my eyes for a second and saw the post in General...