3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Header question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Header question

Hey, I have a 89 vg5 and Like all good 3rd gens I have broken exaust studs. I'm going to replace them and I figured I would just buy the pace setter headers. I know pace setter isn't a great brand and I probably won't gain much if any but i was wondering if there are any plus's to this or any negatives? Maybe a few horses or better sound??? Thanks guys.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 PM

I belive from what I have heard, you dont really gain any power, and you loose tourque, at least i'm pretty sure that is what everyone always says
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 PM

there not that great of performance headers, there built fine though, nothing special but still plenty dependable. I cant imagine you would lose any touque with them though. one good benifit of useing them is that they only use a 3/8 inch flange so there would be less chance of your studs breaking again. put it this way, if you put them on i doube you will notice any big differences in any way...

just my opinion

Jeremy
Old 12-06-2005, 09:02 PM

i have the pacesetter headers that come with the custom y-pipe; work VERY well...my catback exhaust didnt do **** compared to the headers; have been driving with the new headers being held on by only 5/12 total manifold studs (3 front, 2 rear) for a few months no problem; getting the studs drilled out by mechanics as i type this...cant wait to hear it/drive it tomorrow after theyre nice and tight!

im guessing 20-30 hp/ ft/lbs of torque gained. definitely torque gained; my 235/45/17s have left a few burnout marks, and those are some wideass tires!
can only imagine my ****ty stock wheels...

i did not like the gaskets they sent with the headers, though; you might as well cough up some money for some nice, asbestos-based manifold gaskets for the headers...they sent these thin, paper gaskets.
they also forgot to send the o2 sensor adapter, so i had to drive for a few days with my o2 sensor disconnected; only experienced ****ty gas mileage and bad exhaust leak.

if you buy, MAKE SURE that they send you EVERYTHING that you need.

and manifold studs WILL break.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by alextothestars
i have the pacesetter headers that come with the custom y-pipe; work VERY well...my catback exhaust didnt do **** compared to the headers; have been driving with the new headers being held on by only 5/12 total manifold studs (3 front, 2 rear) for a few months no problem; getting the studs drilled out by mechanics as i type this...cant wait to hear it/drive it tomorrow after theyre nice and tight!

im guessing 20-30 hp/ ft/lbs of torque gained. definitely torque gained; my 235/45/17s have left a few burnout marks, and those are some wideass tires!
can only imagine my ****ty stock wheels...

i did not like the gaskets they sent with the headers, though; you might as well cough up some money for some nice, asbestos-based manifold gaskets for the headers...they sent these thin, paper gaskets.
they also forgot to send the o2 sensor adapter, so i had to drive for a few days with my o2 sensor disconnected; only experienced ****ty gas mileage and bad exhaust leak.

if you buy, MAKE SURE that they send you EVERYTHING that you need.

and manifold studs WILL break.
I sant corrected, it must have been the mani studs that where teh reason everyone recommends to not get them, my bad
Old 12-07-2005, 09:23 AM

im guessing so; its taken a few days for them to get drilled out!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 AM

No way headers can give an otherwise healthy VG 20-30 HP. And nothing can by itself. If only Nissan could have put better headers, they would have done so, but for some reason they decided to come up with VE. This is snake oil.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

But he has 210hp on his cardomain site!

Originally Posted by Tarzan
No way headers can give an otherwise healthy VG 20-30 HP. And nothing can by itself. If only Nissan could have put better headers, they would have done so, but for some reason they decided to come up with VE. This is snake oil.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:42 AM

HAVE YOU SEEN THE STOCK MANIFOLDS? ALL THREE CYLINDERS ON EACH SIDE PUMPING INTO THE SAME 1 1/2" line! thats restrictive as hell!
the headers have three SEPARATE 1 1/2" lines going into the 3" manifold for the 3" y-pipe (which goes to my 3" Monza exhaust, mind you). not to mention that the original headers are made of cast-iron for gods sakes.

3" mandrel bent tubing vs. 2" cast iron with bad bends and bottlenecks
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

Exactly what makes you think you can get 30hp-40hp from some cheap headers, ecu and an intake? I guess you are running in the low 14s at the 1/4 track then? Or is this the usual rice butt math we see?

okay, maybe not 210.
but somewhere between 190 and 210.

im not about to go dyno it for $100 in vincennes during the christmas season.

not to mention ecu upgrade and intake upgrade

these things all work hand in hand
Old 12-07-2005, 09:54 AM

because i didnt believe it either until i tried it; i actually *****ed at the guy that sold me the ecu because i didnt think it worked; then i put it back in a few days later and noticed a big difference in off-the-line torque.

when the track opens up again, ill scan my quarter mile time
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 AM

til then, dont knock it until youve actually tried it specifically on that model.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

So let me get this straight. You run some headers on only 5/12 studs and some ecu (what brand?) and you "claim" to have gained 30-40hp even though you have NO dyno and NO track times

I DO have the ONLY ecu that does anything for the maxima. The JWT. So I guess I can knock it all I want bro. The gains are similar with the VG and VE.

til then, dont knock it until youve actually tried it specifically on that model.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 AM

i have the pacesetter headers that come with the custom y-pipe; work VERY well...im guessing 20-30 hp/ ft/lbs of torque
horrible guess and
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM

it is from a fella on ebay that had 100% customer satisfaction until I hastily gave him a negative feedback.

pacesetter headers included 3" y-pipe to complement it. $230.

car manufacturers take cheaper shortcuts because they figure that if they make a minimum spec, then theyre free to sell the car...hence not putting headers on the maxima...much more affordable to make the cast iron (rock-like) exhaust manifolds that could be mass-produced.

this is why they are AFTERmarket...because nissan doesnt want to pay so much extra on every car when they dont think it needs it.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

1) 3" collector is WAY too big for a NA 3.0 liter engine.
2) I wouldn't touch any Pacesetter product with a 10ft pole.

You still ain't going to get that much hp out of your VG.

it is from a fella on ebay that had 100% customer satisfaction until I hastily gave him a negative feedback.

pacesetter headers included 3" y-pipe to complement it. $230.

car manufacturers take cheaper shortcuts because they figure that if they make a minimum spec, then theyre free to sell the car...hence not putting headers on the maxima...much more affordable to make the cast iron (rock-like) exhaust manifolds that could be mass-produced.

this is why they are AFTERmarket...because nissan doesnt want to pay so much extra on every car when they dont think it needs it.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 AM

ok so why is pacesetter the ONLY one making these headers? and why hasnt everyone jumped on this bandwagon? i mean our cars are 12-17 years old......until you have a dyno dont claim youre god. kthxbye
Old 12-07-2005, 10:20 AM

From personal experience, the pacesetter headers suck. The mounting screws and hardware are horrible. The stock o2 sensor does not fit at all, and I noticed no power gains (anyone whos says they got drastic gains lives in a world of fantasy). Soon after I got the headers I oppted for the Warpspeed y-pipe route When I had my studs repaired. by that time I was so upset with how the pacesetters performed (bolts were constantly coming loose and yada yada) that I gave the repair shop permission to just use a cutting torch and cut them off rather than saving them. I never wanted to see them again. i was very satisfied by the warpspeed y-pipe though. So yeah this is written from the persepctive of a guys whos had the pacesetter headers and the warpspeed y-pipe (plus i can prove i've had both, still have the proff of purchase).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 AM

the mounting hardware does suck; the locking 15 hex nuts are a ***** to **** with.

and they simply forgot the o2 fitting on mine as well. very douche, but they sent it out quick and free of charge (like they should)

all i know is my 92s got a whole lot more torque than my 00 maxima...and id rather race it than my 00 maxima
Old 12-07-2005, 11:52 AM

I am not saying that no one in the world should feel any difference before and after installing PS headers. I am only saying that a perfect healthy VG engine, that outputs spec power, cannot be improved by the headers only (oh, well, and their Y pipe, 'cause they require a special Y pipe) to put out 30 more HP. This engine is restricted by the Y pipe, but not by that much, maybe 10 HP. Installing a 2" or 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust can by itself be enough power gain for you to start thinking that it was from the headers. You are not making much sense saying that is is a drastic restriction that all cilinders are blowing into the same 1 1/2" channel - they are blowing one after another and it is only in the Y pipe, quite a few inches down the flow, that the pipe diameter becomes a restriction.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:57 PM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You aren't the first to have headers on a 3rd Gen, people were running custom mandrel sets many years ago. Not these cheap **** shortys either, proper headers. Nobody ever dynoed close to 20-30hp with equal torque. PS headers + 5 studs + exhaust leak = 20-30hp? VG? BS.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 PM

I am gonna have to chime my 2 cents into this one. Due to the fact I am probably one of few people that have had both Pacesetter Headers and a Warpseed Y-Pipe on their VG.

1) The Pacesetter Header contrary to popular belief do not suck as people say, beside the ***** of lik 8-10 hours getting the on!

2) They give a signifinant about of HP more than the Warpspeed Downpipe that I have on now. EXPECIALLY at top end of 75- and Up. Again I do not have the Dyno to back this up unfortunatly.

3) A Downside the headers shaked my cars like a ****...you would sit in your seat and get a massage alone with every single bolt rattling in your entire car, one of my reasons for removal.

4) Turned a Jappense car sound into a muscle car Beast exp. under 30.

5) My Major Reason For Removal: I would have an exhast leak every 1-2 Weeks guranteed! I had the bolts locktighted and still they would come apart at where the collector and rest of the downpipe met. This sucked on gas and more so the ****ty sound of my car. Also, such a PITA to find time to get it to a shop to fix it every week.

6) The Warpspeed Y-Pipe is more noticeable at low end. Especially in terms of the pick-up and and is a better fit smothness wise on my Greddy exhast.

At times I wish I put the Headers back on when I put my JDM motor in , but overall I am happy that my car does not shake as much, and is much smoother to drive. Even though I lost that high end kick... you win some and you lose some I guess... But then again this is just my 2 Cents?

~Charlie~