3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

somebody hit me wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 02:47 AM

somebody hit me wtf

i was at a friends house and went out and got my jacket and saw this

wheres a good place to get it repaired
im sort of happy because i need a new paint job any way
Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hit them back
Old 12-18-2005, 03:10 AM

i dont know who it was that is the problem
i just need to know where a good place to take it to
Old 12-18-2005, 05:21 AM
mod or sell?

find someone that restores muscle cars.
that hit stinks because the easy/cheap fix is bondo, and that will probably never look right. Yu can't pull that dent out due to the contours involved. Your BEST option is to cut out that dent and weld in a new piece right there, it will also probably be the most expensive option too.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
find someone that restores muscle cars.
that hit stinks because the easy/cheap fix is bondo, and that will probably never look right. Yu can't pull that dent out due to the contours involved. Your BEST option is to cut out that dent and weld in a new piece right there, it will also probably be the most expensive option too.
you're kidding right?
1 a place that restores muscle cars will laugh at him and send him to the hack down the block to do a quick fix on an old IMPORT car.
2 you can definately pull on that. a good shop will weld a tab onto the dogleg, put it on a frame machine and pull the wheelhouse back out to the rough shape, same with the dent on the back of the 1/4 panel. once theyre done they cut off the tab, grind it flat and watch the mud fly. look closely at any car that boyd or foose builds on their shows. all old muscle cars. and before theyre painted theyre drenched in plastic. that junkyard dog 56 that boyd build was one of the rare ones where they actually showed them putting plastic from end to end on every panel.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:23 AM
mod or sell?

1. where he was hit won't come out in a pull, it's the actual fender lip, 99% of body men will never get that perfectly straight.
2. Bomdo/filler is used any time you do a partial repair, rather than replace a whole panel. it's how you ensure a smooth surface to work on. the thickness of the filler isnormally well less than a 1/32th of an inch thick.

you've got your opinion and I've got mine
Old 12-18-2005, 08:20 AM

1. where he was hit won't come out in a pull, it's the actual fender lip, 99% of body men will never get that perfectly straight.
2. Bomdo/filler is used any time you do a partial repair, rather than replace a whole panel. it's how you ensure a smooth surface to work on. the thickness of the filler isnormally well less than a 1/32th of an inch thick.

you know, you dont have to win every discussion. obviously if you knew what you were talking about you know that the panels at the back of the car are called quarter panels, the FRONT are fenders. doesnt change for camaros. the only car that has rear fenders are beetles.

you also work the metal to have a smooth surface to work on, and you use filler to fill the imperfections. you shouldnt have to work on anything else after that, prime it, block out the primer and you're done. you do this on a partial repair or full replacement(quarter panels, door skins, hinge pilars/rockers etc. you SHOUDLNT have to do it when replacing a bolt on part, but they occasionally come in damaged, or need some tweaking if they're aftermarket.

you sell parts for a living and i estimate/repair cars for a living
. i did the bodywork on my 3rd gen and the bodywork and paint on my 4th gen.

that 1/4 panel is fixable without abortioning it by cutting out pieces. i guess the bodymen you deal with suck a$$ because if they can't fix that right how do you expect them to replace a quarter panel properly. even if they were going to have to replace the quarter, they still need to do a preliminary pull to get out any indirect damage(wheelhouse is in, inner 1/4 is in) you dont just bang that stuff out later. do me a favor and measure 1/32. a ding is way deeper than that. if you know someone that can metalwork to where they only need to use 1/32 of filler god bless them, but welding on a new 1/4 alone will warp the surrounding metal where it'll need more than 1/32. 1/8 overall, 1/4 max in the deepest areas (oviously a dent has high and low spots) is acceptable industry standards. and btw, some highfill primers go on thicker than 1/32".
Old 12-18-2005, 08:50 AM

yeah htta is easily pullable by a competent body man, Mine was kinda liek that and it was pulled out, yes it did have to have filler also since the man that can pull any dent and have it come out perfectly smooth.. well he woudl be super rich.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 AM

alright thanks for yalls input

so yall are saying i should fix the dent my self and get it professional repainted?

Thanks
Kyle Cisneros
Old 12-18-2005, 09:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 12-18-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by fatboyslim86440

so yall are saying i should fix the dent my self and get it professional repainted?

Thanks
Kyle Cisneros
nope you need access to a frame machine to get your wheelhouse to line back up again then do bodywork once that's done.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
you know, you dont have to win every discussion. obviously if you knew what you were talking about you know that the panels at the back of the car are called quarter panels, the FRONT are fenders. doesnt change for camaros. the only car that has rear fenders are beetles.

you also work the metal to have a smooth surface to work on, and you use filler to fill the imperfections. you shouldnt have to work on anything else after that, prime it, block out the primer and you're done. you do this on a partial repair or full replacement(quarter panels, door skins, hinge pilars/rockers etc. you SHOUDLNT have to do it when replacing a bolt on part, but they occasionally come in damaged, or need some tweaking if they're aftermarket.

. i did the bodywork on my 3rd gen and the bodywork and paint on my 4th gen.

that 1/4 panel is fixable without abortioning it by cutting out pieces. i guess the bodymen you deal with suck a$$ because if they can't fix that right how do you expect them to replace a quarter panel properly. even if they were going to have to replace the quarter, they still need to do a preliminary pull to get out any indirect damage(wheelhouse is in, inner 1/4 is in) you dont just bang that stuff out later. do me a favor and measure 1/32. a ding is way deeper than that. if you know someone that can metalwork to where they only need to use 1/32 of filler god bless them, but welding on a new 1/4 alone will warp the surrounding metal where it'll need more than 1/32. 1/8 overall, 1/4 max in the deepest areas (oviously a dent has high and low spots) is acceptable industry standards. and btw, some highfill primers go on thicker than 1/32".

owned.....
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Old 12-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Thanks
Kyle Cisneros
yep
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 AM

my car is living proof your statements are

u could come see my car and not tell it was smashed the **** up on the one side.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:18 AM

the same crap happened to me when I was downtown (austin, texas) I was just down at the lake, came back and my right side had been gently dented.

oh by the way, I'm a newbie. I just bought a 1991 max, tranny is blown, but I'm rebuilding it. thought I would put in my two cents.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 PM

where can i get this frame machine or do i have to take it to machanic or someother crap

i just want this annoying dent in my car

thanks

Kyle Cisneros
Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

where can i get this frame machine or do i have to take it to machanic or someother crap

thanks

Kyle Cisneros

body shop will have to pull it for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM

Interautomart you can't mess with shavedmax's skills

The day before thanksgiving, I was driving in a shopping center and some stupid chick backed outta her parking spot right into me. I saw it happening in slow motion, I threw the car in reverse and hit the horn simultaneously (hella super tones ), but she still caught my corner light and took some paint off the bumper. Luckily she was in soft civic. I made her give me $25 for the corner lense *****. If I hadent' gone into reverse she would have hit the fender
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 PM

thanks

Kyle Cisneros
if you have 20-30 grand laying around you can buy one, or go the cheap route and let a shop do the work for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

if you have 20-30 grand laying around you can buy one, or go the cheap route and let a shop do the work for you.

I could have gotten one for a LOT cheaper a week or so ago. A pretty close (45 min away) body shop went out of business and was selling everything cheap. I got a nice Sata gun with a bunch of extras (3M pps system including containers etc.) for $100, a huge air compressor (main thing I wanted) for $500, and today I picked up a dustless sanding system for $100...it has 3 blocks, an orbital sander, shop vac and a bunch of sand paper for it.

My dad almost bought their lift (4 post drive up) but he only wanted to pay $1500 and the guy wouldnt come down from $1800. I didnt ask about the frame machine because I knew I didnt have a place for it but I know it went really cheap. I REALLY wanted his paint booth but it sold on the first day he decided to sell off everything (I got my compressor and gun on the second day). I am not sure what it went for but it was a really nice booth...I think it was less than a year old.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
I could have gotten one for a LOT cheaper a week or so ago. A pretty close (45 min away) body shop went out of business and was selling everything cheap. I got a nice Sata gun with a bunch of extras (3M pps system including containers etc.) for $100, a huge air compressor (main thing I wanted) for $500, and today I picked up a dustless sanding system for $100...it has 3 blocks, an orbital sander, shop vac and a bunch of sand paper for it.

My dad almost bought their lift (4 post drive up) but he only wanted to pay $1500 and the guy wouldnt come down from $1800. I didnt ask about the frame machine because I knew I didnt have a place for it but I know it went really cheap. I REALLY wanted his paint booth but it sold on the first day he decided to sell off everything (I got my compressor and gun on the second day). I am not sure what it went for but it was a really nice booth...I think it was less than a year old.
i meant new obviously, a friend of mine just bought a car-o-liner bench with computer, jigs etc and that was about 56 grand.

your professional opinion ser, could that be fixed properly?

oh btw, ill be testing out my skills on a brand new big a$$ f750 this week. full respray. hope i do an ok job
Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

oh btw, ill be testing out my skills on a brand new big a$$ f750 this week. full respray. hope i do an ok job

you better do an ok job, your position as in-house painter for Zullo & Associates depends on it.

Bling balow, that is one sexy beast. big face ****.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 PM

thats a huuuuuuge bish! you should get some 28s for it. bling blong!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 PM

I know this is off topic and kinda stupid to ask, but as of right now i can't post a new thread, look in my pm box, or anything besides post replies. do I need to do something to change this or am I just waiting for an admin to do something to my account??
Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=Yicco]I know this is off topic

Not on the topic, don't post, or you can post and be banned for not reading the rules and posting off the topic.:ban:

We had a good thing going here. Thanks for pisn in a good thread.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

i meant new obviously, a friend of mine just bought a car-o-liner bench with computer, jigs etc and that was about 56 grand.
Yeah I know I was just taking the post to brag about my sweet deal lol...this frame machine was not that fancy anyway.

your professional opinion ser, could that be fixed properly?
YES...yes it can be fixed properly but I am not even close to professional .

Sweet...that is a lot of truck...why a complete re-spray? Have fun...I have to finish up this International Scout I have been working on. I painted the truck a week or so ago but tonight he brought me the roof to fix and paint. I told him to just leave the top off and make it a 4wd roadster but he wants to drive it in the winter. Heck he even bought a soft top for it so I still dont know why he wants the metal roof painted...oh well more money for me .
Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Sweet...that is a lot of truck...why a complete re-spray?

yep red to green. gotta match up the fleet.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heh, you would have been the first person I would have called.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=therealgoon9]
Originally Posted by Yicco
I know this is off topic

Not on the topic, don't post, or you can post and be banned for not reading the rules and posting off the topic.:ban:

We had a good thing going here. Thanks for pisn in a good thread.
well then how the hell am I supposed to post on any thread, or even create a thread if I can't do it.. thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:27 AM

u could post relavent stuff on a thread for one. two read the stickies. go tell 15 people their car is nice in teh memberz ridez sexshun and then you can post a topic. reading is learning.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM

i didnt say you were a professional, just your opinion