3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

5peed gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5speed gone?

Ok guy was just out toying with this modded old body mustang. and we started from my 3rd gear shifted to 4th no problem went to 5th and the tranny just went into neutral. and started sounding like maybe I broke and axel then I stop and looked and to find that it was fine (cv Axel).So the only gears after that worked was 3rd and 4th. and it makes a lot of noise in the tranny.. I wonder what hapened. But I did beat this guy by about a car to a car and half you should have seen the big a$$ tires he had on the rear.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds like an input shaft bearing to me. anyone else care to chime in??
Old 12-26-2005, 12:47 PM

You blew 5th gear and little pieces of that gear are blocking you out of the 1st and 2nd gear shaft. So 3rd and 4th (on the same shaft) are still working. The noise you are hearing are the pieces moving everywhere in your tranny. 5th gear is probably stripped since you felt like you were in neutral.

Once I blew only 3rd gear but couldn't get into 1st and 2nd because of the pieces everywhere. I had to start out in 4th gear.

A gear set like 5th gear cost me 80$cnd in a used transmission parts shop. And 50$ to get them mounted on either shafts.

Yet another victim of the weak @ss RS5F50 tranny.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:05 PM

^ Good Post exactly what I was thinking may be the problem.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:07 PM

next mod..........performance tranny????
Old 12-26-2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
next mod..........performance tranny????

a bomb to blow up borg warner...

(cia, fbi, whomever, please note i am just joking).
Old 12-26-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
a bomb to blow up borg warner...

(cia, fbi, whomever, please note i am just joking).

hahaha.... i love how you hate borg warner so much.. i probably will soon to im scared. I did a 13 psi 3rd gear pull today, haveing blown 3rd gears on my mind, i was quite nervous... I just felt so good i couldnt let off. turned out ok.

Jeremy
Old 12-27-2005, 04:23 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
hahaha.... i love how you hate borg warner so much.. i probably will soon to im scared. I did a 13 psi 3rd gear pull today, haveing blown 3rd gears on my mind, i was quite nervous... I just felt so good i couldnt let off. turned out ok.

Jeremy
Just buy a back up tranny when you get a chance.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 AM

You didn't win if you broke your car

And it's called a Vintage/Classic, Fox, or SN95 Mustang.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
You didn't win if you broke your car

And it's called a Vintage/Classic, Fox, or SN95 Mustang.
it was like a 80 to 90 model... but modded
Old 12-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Jeremy
yeah, i dog on them a lot because of the grief their junk has given me. granted the T56 seems like an awesome tranny... i still dislike them. i just though of something reading that thinking of all the trannies that went out on me. 1991 isuzu rodeo... tranny died. it had a borg warner auto tranny...

Sooooo...
1991 Isuzu Rodeo - auto tranny died, $1,800
1991 Nissan Maxima - auto tranny died, $1,800 (after telling my mom over and over again that imports were super reliable and wouldn't die... damn you borg warner!!!!)
1990 Nissan Maxima - input shaft bearing dead when purchased (thought it was a throwout bearing issue....)

Drove it too long without knowing the problem was internal, caused the aluminum shaft for the throwout bearing to break. Bought a salvage yard tranny that was claimed to be in perfect condition.

Found out it had a broken input shaft bearing after installing it. Pulled it, bought the parts to fix it, put it back in, all was good.

Roughly 8 months and 0 miles later, I get the car running after the turbo swap and lo and behold! Thy input shaft bearing is no more... so I just left it as such.

I actually got another tranny from a member here a while back and the input shaft bearing in his was bad as well (I already knew it was). So yeah... they don't have a good record with me and now my mom will never trust any of my cars because of it.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
it was like a 80 to 90 model... but modded
that would be a fox mustang

and remember BW biult the orginal T56 which is an awsome and very strong trans so if they want to they can do it but it could of been nissan that simply ordered a cheap trans and that what we got you also have to remeber that this trans was originally designed in the early 80s for the 2nd gen which had 150somthinghp VG in which case it would have been acceptably strong it was nissans fault for not upgrading it when they upgraded the engines
Old 12-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by VD Providah
Just buy a back up tranny when you get a chance.
Got two of them... i just dont have the time to fix it.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I miss my VE

Hey according to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Maxima, the auto trannies were made by a company called "Jatco". Is this like another name for BW?

"The automatic transmission on all GXE's and optional on SE's was an innovative compact unit from Jatco, featuring four-speed electronic control and adaptive 'sport' and 'comfort' modes that shift at different points."
Old 12-27-2005, 08:04 PM

Got two of them... i just dont have the time to fix it.

Can I have it
Old 12-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

like the pic in 93turbogxe's sig sez...fwd sux.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 PM

Having a stock replacement tranny will only give you a temporary solution. Of course, once one of em goes, you will (probably) have an intact tranny case to put modded gears in. This thread is particularly interesting. http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=447207

It would be a great, although expensive, solution.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dillbag
like the pic in 93turbogxe's sig sez...fwd sux.

What can you say, we drive the poor mans 300ZX
Old 12-28-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Having a stock replacement tranny will only give you a temporary solution. Of course, once one of em goes, you will (probably) have an intact tranny case to put modded gears in. This thread is particularly interesting. http://www.forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=447207

It would be a great, although expensive, solution.
So do the sr20 gears fit the ve5 trannies? I've looked into getting a built tranny, but most places are vague about what they can do for a set price, and what it can(hp/tq) withstand.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
So do the sr20 gears fit the ve5 trannies? I've looked into getting a built tranny, but most places are vague about what they can do for a set price, and what it can(hp/tq) withstand.

Just do like you're doing now and put together a solid set of innerds. Then ship the whole thing off to get cryo treated (like 75-100 bucks give or take).
Exspecially for our applications having such a vague market and support. Cryo treating the tranny maybe the answer to all of our crappy trany issues.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by nismosleeper
Well from what the guys in that thread said, SR20 gears have been known to fit altima trannies, which will swap into a 4th gen tranny. As far as I know, 3rd and 4th gens use the exact same gear sets. What would be really nice about straight-cut gears is that they would most likely eliminate our input shaft bearing problems.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

how?

10 char
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 PM

yeah more brad more
Old 12-29-2005, 09:44 PM

the first time you drive your car with straight cut gears youll hate yourself for doing it think of it as driving with the rev noise only in all fwd gears

straight cut gears have there advantages and disadvantage but there really not for a daily driver
Old 12-30-2005, 12:01 AM

What about a 400hp daily driver?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 AM

straight cut gear whine http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/video/assen-bmwSTW.wmv
Old 12-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Im izz sexay

It all comes down to a loud whine or fixing the tranny every few thousand. I don't know but if you can drop down over 250whp and break the tranny every couple thousand miles is reasonable then do it. But going with a rather lound whine that my loud exhaust can make up for then screw it I am gonna put up with it.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Im izz sexay

Nice race. But I think two solobarics s12l5's can drown it out when pushed to their limits.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by VD Providah
It all comes down to a loud whine or fixing the tranny every few thousand. I don't know but if you can drop down over 250whp and break the tranny every couple thousand miles is reasonable then do it. But going with a rather lound whine that my loud exhaust can make up for then screw it I am gonna put up with it.

Well the cronic repairs would become a major pain but I would and will consider it when making like say 5-600+ HP. Deffinitely not for the DD and damn that **** is LOAD !!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm looking at what I can do as well for my tranny as I approach completing my turbo project. I had thought about swapping in a VE 5sp in place of my VG 5sp tranny to obtain the LSD benifit and thinking that the VE tranny was more durable. I'm hearing these options for the first time in regards to the gears. If I can get a Phantom Grip LSD for reasonable and upgrade gears during the turbo install, then I'm up for it. I was looking as a second option to rebuild my Vg tranny anyway. So, can we have some clarification about options here? If direct cut gears are nearly bullet proof and an affordable option, I'll put in my call for them at Courtesy Nissan first of the week! I can tollerate whine when I know what it is and is healthy! Some clarification would be appreciated!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I'm looking at what I can do as well for my tranny as I approach completing my turbo project. I had thought about swapping in a VE 5sp in place of my VG 5sp tranny to obtain the LSD benifit and thinking that the VE tranny was more durable. I'm hearing these options for the first time in regards to the gears. If I can get a Phantom Grip LSD for reasonable and upgrade gears during the turbo install, then I'm up for it. I was looking as a second option to rebuild my Vg tranny anyway. So, can we have some clarification about options here? If direct cut gears are nearly bullet proof and an affordable option, I'll put in my call for them at Courtesy Nissan first of the week! I can tollerate whine when I know what it is and is healthy! Some clarification would be appreciated!
if $3k is affordable go right ahead and there aftermarket so you cant order these from a nissan dealer

heres the link to the gears

http://www.par-engineering.com/nissantirs.htm#nissansss
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM

For most 3rd genners... the gears themselves won't be the problem. Its the input shaft bearing. I talked to IPT (www.ipttrans.com) and they said they know of the problem and can put a larger bearing in, which seems to solve the problem. I was thinking of getting that done but a new project came along (VH45 powered 280Z) so I haven't done it... yet. I'm tossing around a couple ideas about the tranny problem but can't decide between going the easiest route... or the harder but most unique and awesome route. I'll eventually decide.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:15 PM

For most 3rd genners... the gears themselves won't be the problem. Its the input shaft bearing. I talked to IPT (www.ipttrans.com) and they said they know of the problem and can put a larger bearing in, which seems to solve the problem. I was thinking of getting that done but a new project came along (VH45 powered 280Z) so I haven't done it... yet. I'm tossing around a couple ideas about the tranny problem but can't decide between going the easiest route... or the harder but most unique and awesome route. I'll eventually decide.
go the hard and unique route i want to see more injenuity in the 3rd gen forum
Old 12-31-2005, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
I agree fully...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg

Just do a rebuild and upgrade whatever weak point of your stock tranny then cryo it. There really isn't a better more affordable way to go.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
what can my max do for me

did they happen to give u a part number? was it an SKF or CR part?
Old 01-01-2006, 06:39 PM
what can my max do for me

has anyone ever driven a vehicle with straight cut gears?
it's not just damn annoying noise...there's a good bit of vibration too
Old 01-02-2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
did they happen to give u a part number? was it an SKF or CR part?
I asked about the part number (i think... man my memory sucks) but they actually have to take some material out where the stock bearing is to fit the larger bearing so they didn't mention any parts numbers. They probably wanted to keep it a secret.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
alrighty