3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Difficulty: 93 ve manual INTO 91 vg auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Difficulty: 93 ve manual INTO 91 vg auto

so far I have registered on this board, gone to every salvage yard in town and somewhat out of town, and no luck finding a used auto tranny for my VG. On the other hand I saw a hand full of 93's w/ manual VE's. I checked the tranny's, all of them shifted into every gear, so I thought, why not a ve into my vg.. does someone want to run me through the difficulties involved.

my real question involves wiring, is there any wiring required with the swap or do the harnesses just line up?? I am perfectly capable of swapping a manual into an auto. I need to know so I can go back to the salvage yard and get that ve manual. thanks for the help.
Zepp
Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its not that bid of a deal the only rewire is the neutral saftey switch
Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
its not that bid of a deal the only rewire is the neutral saftey switch
thats pretty easy but its a VE into a VG. do I just need to swap the harnesses aswell??
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yicco
thats pretty easy but its a VE into a VG. do I just need to swap the harnesses aswell??
no youll cut the plug as they seem to be differant. I have a ve in 93 gxe. Witch the gxe only came with the vg and a auto tranny
Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM

no youll cut the plug as they seem to be differant. I have a ve in 93 gxe. Witch the gxe only came with the vg and a auto tranny
rewire on that plug is a straight or do I need some pin outs and a lot of patience??
Old 12-27-2005, 05:18 PM
mod or sell?

you NEED to read the stickies.
there is a write up on this board of doing this
Old 12-27-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you NEED to read the stickies.
there is a write up on this board of doing this
that write up is not useful to me. it tells me nothing about the harnesses from a USDM ve versus a JDM ve. It says nothing about the vg engine harness versus the ve engine harness. thanks for nothing.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 PM

Interesting...I was just asking this question on another forum since I'm thinking of selling my 4th and buying a 3rd gen (I want to learn how to drive stick). I know somebody on there did it but I haven't asked them how it worked yet.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 PM
mod or sell?

since you didn't find what you were looking for i'm an idiot?
you have much to learn if you hope to do this swap
Old 12-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
since you didn't find what you were looking for i'm an idiot?
you have much to learn if you hope to do this swap
if you think I'm to stupid to swap an engine, then you need to take a look at my profile. I didn't pay some shadetree mechanic to swap my s14 sr. I did it myself. its not as hard granted, but I know the basics of engine swaps. prep both the engine and the bay, wiring, then get the ***** in. double check all your wiring and try to start it. don't forget the fluids. thats all anybody needs to know. as far as compatability, I want to make sure i'm not gonna spend 5 months under a pile of wires to be the second to do the swap, if you get my drift. ease is preffered.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

that write up is not useful to me. it tells me nothing about the harnesses from a USDM ve versus a JDM ve. It says nothing about the vg engine harness versus the ve engine harness. thanks for nothing.

Just what the heck are you wanting to do...you are pretty vague by saying VE into VG and I didnt see you mention JDM in any of your posts unless I just over looked (I admit I just skimmed your post).

DO you want to:

1. put a VE 5spd transmission on a VG motor (what everyone including me seems to think you are asking).

or

2. put the entire VE motor and 5spd transmission into your car...if thats the case you need to look at vanskaterfreak's post about doing this...its still on the front page here...he gave up and bought another car. It can be done but you have to pull the entire harness and ECU.

Easiest thing would be for you to do #1 and be done with it.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
Just what the heck are you wanting to do...you are pretty vague by saying VE into VG and I didnt see you mention JDM in any of your posts unless I just over looked (I admit I just skimmed your post).

DO you want to:

1. put a VE 5spd transmission on a VG motor (what everyone including me seems to think you are asking).

or

2. put the entire VE motor and 5spd transmission into your car...if thats the case you need to look at vanskaterfreak's post about doing this...its still on the front page here...he gave up and bought another car. It can be done but you have to pull the entire harness and ECU.

Easiest thing would be for you to do #1 and be done with it.
to answer clearly: I want to put a ve30de and 5 spd tranny inside of my 91 (which sadly has a blown auto tranny)
but I was asking a question about the harness and that is what I wanted to know. you see on my 240sx there is a engine harness, a tranny harness, and a dash harness, that are connected next to the ecm, by main harness plug. so what I understand from what your saying is that the maxima harness is one harness, so you have to disconnect everything underneath the dash and pull it out through the firewall... FUN.
Now, as far as number 1: I already discussed this with most of the people who have done a auto to manual swap, AND they tell me that a ve tranny is larger then the vg tranny so the starter will not mesh with the flywheel. as far as spending the extra dollar for a custom flywheel, I say no. but if we're gonna compare costs almost perfectly well I guess a ve tranny would be prefferable. But for the same cost I would like to have that 195 hp ve30de. now that its stated nice and clear, which would you do??
Old 12-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

to answer clearly: I want to put a ve30de and 5 spd tranny inside of my 91 (which sadly has a blown auto tranny)
but I was asking a question about the harness and that is what I wanted to know. you see on my 240sx there is a engine harness, a tranny harness, and a dash harness, that are connected next to the ecm, by main harness plug. so what I understand from what your saying is that the maxima harness is one harness, so you have to disconnect everything underneath the dash and pull it out through the firewall... FUN.
Now, as far as number 1: I already discussed this with most of the people who have done a auto to manual swap, AND they tell me that a ve tranny is larger then the vg tranny so the starter will not mesh with the flywheel. as far as spending the extra dollar for a custom flywheel, I say no. but if we're gonna compare costs almost perfectly well I guess a ve tranny would be prefferable. But for the same cost I would like to have that 195 hp ve30de. now that its stated nice and clear, which would you do??

to be honest I am not sure what plugs and harness you will need. Best thing to do is get a FSM and that way you can research it yourself. I do know that the ECU controls more than just the engine because for instance when I did the ACC conversion I had to run a wire to the ECU. Like I said it can be done but I am not sure its worth it.

I dont understand the starter not fitting correctly because the swap has been done a few times (Kaleb, 93turbo gxe etc.). I think you are talking about putting a VE auto trans into a VG auto motor...that is where people were saying the starter didnt align. I am pretty sure you just use the VG flywheel (its a flexplate on an auto...not a flywheel) with the VE transmission. I dont think those guys have used special flywheels. Again the VE auto may be where you are saying the starter doesnt align correctly but then again I havent researched it.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 PM

oh snap another one?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
to be honest I am not sure what plugs and harness you will need. Best thing to do is get a FSM and that way you can research it yourself. I do know that the ECU controls more than just the engine because for instance when I did the ACC conversion I had to run a wire to the ECU. Like I said it can be done but I am not sure its worth it.

I dont understand the starter not fitting correctly because the swap has been done a few times (Kaleb, 93turbo gxe etc.). I think you are talking about putting a VE auto trans into a VG auto motor...that is where people were saying the starter didnt align. I am pretty sure you just use the VG flywheel (its a flexplate on an auto...not a flywheel) with the VE transmission. I dont think those guys have used special flywheels. Again the VE auto may be where you are saying the starter doesnt align correctly but then again I havent researched it.
might be. I'm hoping thats the case because then I can just ****** the tranny and hardware off of that maxima in the junk yard and be done with it. that would be amazing. as for right now i'm still asking questions, but one thing I can do is call my good friend at South Point Nissan here in texas and he'll let me know everything I need to know and I'll have it done within a month.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:45 PM

oh snap another one?
you can tell me quickly, will a ve manual tranny fit on a vg w/ vg flywheel and vg clutch??
Old 12-27-2005, 07:09 PM

i tried the VE swap (motor and tranny) into my 1991 VG...... too much wiring for me.... so i gave up ant got a VE with a blown motor and i am currently swapping that in.........i wouldnt reccomend doing the VE swap into a VG... only if you have LOTS of wiring experience.... look at what you have to do..... and in this pic... it was already about half way done
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
i tried the VE swap (motor and tranny) into my 1991 VG...... too much wiring for me.... so i gave up ant got a VE with a blown motor and i am currently swapping that in.........i wouldnt reccomend doing the VE swap into a VG... only if you have LOTS of wiring experience.... look at what you have to do..... and in this pic... it was already about half way done
I've read some of your thread. I am not affraid of wiring. especially if I have two complete harnesses . I just want to know, will a manual ve fit on a vg with vg flywheel and vg clutch.??
Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 PM

well i dont know about the manual trannys... but the VE tranny wouldnt work with the VG motor (automatics)
Old 12-27-2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
well i dont know about the manual trannys... but the VE tranny wouldnt work with the VG motor (automatics)
well, maybe someone else will know.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

i didn't have any problems with starter to clutch clearance when i put my VE trans on my VG motor..WTD?

Vans: didn't you NOT put the VE engine harness in your car, and just try to convert all the wiring? Couldn't you just swap in the VE engine harness?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:31 PM

ya.. but i didnt have enough time to rip it out the one day at the junk yard
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dillbag
i didn't have any problems with starter to clutch clearance when i put my VE trans on my VG motor..WTD?

Vans: didn't you NOT put the VE engine harness in your car, and just try to convert all the wiring? Couldn't you just swap in the VE engine harness?
so is it a clean and easy tranny swap?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 PM

the Ve will work with the vg motor use the vg flywheel and the clutches are the same.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:38 PM

the Ve will work with the vg motor use the vg flywheel and the clutches are the same.
thank you. I guess its time to get that tranny off at the pick n pull. stay tuned for manual swap on my vg.
Z
Old 12-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Suprise butsechs!!!

my swap was pretty easy, did it five years ago as a noob tech at a shop.
My VG motor/flyweel + VE trans + VG starter works fine.
I didn't use the VE hubs though, just used the VE axles w/ VG outer joints on them, fits/works fine, still have those same axles today.
Everything on the VE trans bolts on just like the VG if i remember.
As far as swaps go, very staight forward.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
No turbo, no care!

thank you. I guess its time to get that tranny off at the pick n pull. stay tuned for manual swap on my vg.
Z
Its a fairly easy swap.
Yes the VE manual will bolt up to the VG no problem. You must use the VG flywheel, and no there is no starter issue with this swap. The wiring is straight forward from a 5-speed to 5-speed...the only things that are connected to the maunal is the speed sensor and neutral sensor (2 wires each). The VE has different harnesses, but the pin-out (and wire colors) are the same.
One thing no one has mentioned yet, the VE axles are larger so they must be aquired. I personaly just changed the spindles and kept my VE axles intact, but Ive heard that you can combine the VG/VE half shafts so you can retain the VG spindles.
As for the VE motor swap, you will be the first one to complete it in a long long long line of those who have attepmted/dreamed. You swap an SR20DET because you cant get a car with one in america. If you really want a VE30DE in your maxima, just go out and buy one with it under the hood already.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM

yar.