3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Woo Hoo! FIXED my door lock timer!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 08:05 PM

First off, I'm a newbie here...I actually drive a 1992 Camry...the Max is my dad's car...don't hate me!

Anyway, screw paying $145 CDN for the door lock timer to fix your door locks! I know their $60 in the US but in Canada, everything is expensive. Anyway, I couldn't justify that kinda price for door locks so I just decided to fix it.

Put it this way, not much can go wrong with those things...unless they melt down from heat...otherwise, there's no physical parts in there EXCEPT for the relay! Relay's always break down so I'd thought I'd replace mine. Well, instead I tested it out with a multimeter and noticed it wasn't "clicking" properly. I did some minor adjustments, cleaned the contacts and stuck it back it...it worked! I'm sure many of you can do the same as well.

BTW, I'm no EE or anything but I'm pretty good with wiring and stuff...now if someone can just tell me WHERE IS THE HEATER RESISTOR PACK (fan amplifier?)? I know it's beside the fan blower but what does that look like??? Please help me!

Henry

leftylee@hotmail.com
Old 06-05-2001, 08:07 PM

Sorry about the repeat post...it said connection timed out....
Old 06-05-2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Hen92
First off, I'm a newbie here...I actually drive a 1992 Camry...the Max is my dad's car...don't hate me!

Anyway, screw paying $145 CDN for the door lock timer to fix your door locks! I know their $60 in the US but in Canada, everything is expensive. Anyway, I couldn't justify that kinda price for door locks so I just decided to fix it.

Put it this way, not much can go wrong with those things...unless they melt down from heat...otherwise, there's no physical parts in there EXCEPT for the relay! Relay's always break down so I'd thought I'd replace mine. Well, instead I tested it out with a multimeter and noticed it wasn't "clicking" properly. I did some minor adjustments, cleaned the contacts and stuck it back it...it worked! I'm sure many of you can do the same as well.

BTW, I'm no EE or anything but I'm pretty good with wiring and stuff...now if someone can just tell me WHERE IS THE HEATER RESISTOR PACK (fan amplifier?)? I know it's beside the fan blower but what does that look like??? Please help me!

Henry

leftylee@hotmail.com
What does the door lock timer look like and where in the door is it located?
Old 06-06-2001, 04:03 PM

take away the part of the dash under the glovebox
than you can see the blowerfan
the blower resistor is near on the left of the
blowerfan it has only one connector.
its mounted in the air channel,take out two screws and
you can get the resister out completly
Old 06-06-2001, 04:45 PM

It's a grey box about the two times the size of a deck of cards. It's located right under the ignition...remove the lower panel under the steering wheel and you should see it mounted to a steel brace. Lift it up and it should come off... There are two sets of cables going in it as well.

The grey box will actually say Door lock timer on it!

Originally posted by D-DOT

What does the door lock timer look like and where in the door is it located?