3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Looks marketable to me!

Possibly next summer...

Jeremy
Old 12-30-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Priority05
Well...All you turbo guys make me sick! All your fancy smancy chrome and you boosty boost. Your little gauges everywhere with the little blinking lights.

[You really can't see it but the fine print in Priority's post says.]

[[I only say this because I'm jealous and don't have the ***** to trying a turbo setup on my p.o.s. At this point I'm really afraid that if I hit the gas to hard the wheels will fall off.]]

LOL

You N/A guys and your cubic inch limited power making...DON'T HATE !!!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what kind of transmission components are you guys pairing with these turbo vg's?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
what kind of transmission components are you guys pairing with these turbo vg's?

Big clutchs and lightend flywheels
Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

DanNY do you have any pictures of the turbo and downpipe setup

also does anyone know if the zx manifold will bolt on a ve im trying to find an alternative to a custom manifold
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE

Ive got the stock 180k mile 5 speed.. so far its doing good...but ill probably blow it up with anymore power. im around 300 whp. Ive got the Fidanza flywheel along with a 40k mile centerforce clutch... Which to my amazement isnt slipping. I personally love the clutch.. who knows maybe i got lucky.

Jeremy
Old 12-31-2005, 02:21 AM
what can my max do for me

wow....just wow....

and here i was all psyched that i was able to slap on a FSTB all by my little lonesome...this is one seriously humbling thread...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Harvs94max

also does anyone know if the zx manifold will bolt on a ve im trying to find an alternative to a custom manifold

From what I understand the VE was the N/A equivalent to the VG30DETT. If that's the case there is a chance it will work. Considering the VE and VG30D are just wider sonsidering the DOHC setup. There might be more involved but it's worth a try. You can pretty much strole to the J/Y and pick up a manifold for nothing just to check and see if it works.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:56 PM
mod or sell?

I'm fairly certain matt posted up pics a WHILE back showing them incompatible
Old 01-01-2006, 06:41 AM
what can my max do for me

the stickies show that the z31 exhaust manifolds will bolt up to a VG with no problem...
but as Blackbob mentioned, the ve might be too wide for z31 or z32 exhaust manifolds to fit..it was kinda close with just the vg
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
dam where did you get the 89 from. Its a stock ct26 on a 93 stock vg30e with stock compression.(9;1).

well with stock compression how much psi can you run on a vg with stock internals before it goes pop?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:49 PM

Its not really how much boost that will blow it up.. its how much power your making. Ive 'read 'that 9-1 VGs have held up anywhere from around 425 WHP to about 600 Crank hp... In other words.. There Very tough engines. Same with VEs i think. youll need to upgrade Many Many things before youll actually have to touch the bottom end.

Jeremy
Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Blackbob
From what I understand the VE was the N/A equivalent to the VG30DETT. If that's the case there is a chance it will work. Considering the VE and VG30D are just wider sonsidering the DOHC setup. There might be more involved but it's worth a try. You can pretty much strole to the J/Y and pick up a manifold for nothing just to check and see if it works.
The manifolds dont bolt up, the VG's have round exhaust ports and the VE's have oval ports.

Edit: Exhaust manifolds don't bolt up.....
Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
well with stock compression how much psi can you run on a vg with stock internals before it goes pop?
Both engines can make the power, that's not the problem. You're limited to around 300 wheel before the transmissions start to crap out on you. But really, with a FWD car, 300whp should be all the power you need to have loads of fun in a sleeper sedan.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

once i get my home PC up and running again i'll get them posted. they were posted before.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tom91GXE
Both engines can make the power, that's not the problem. You're limited to around 300 wheel before the transmissions start to crap out on you. But really, with a FWD car, 300whp should be all the power you need to have loads of fun in a sleeper sedan.

Yeah if your racing "STOCK" cars..now a days you need more than just 300hp.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Blackbob
Yeah if your racing "STOCK" cars..now a days you need more than just 300hp.
on the track right? because i know you're not referring to street racing.

if it is on the track then i would've built a track car but on the street...300HP is fine for most drivers out there. your motor can make 1000HP...but if you can't get it on the ground then it's useless.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
on the track right? because i know you're not referring to street racing.

if it is on the track then i would've built a track car but on the street...300HP is fine for most drivers out there. your motor can make 1000HP...but if you can't get it on the ground then it's useless.
You'll always get it to the ground,the question is how much is actually making contact with the ground. Yeah 1000hp might not be practical for the street but most "track" cars run better times on the street. I know this for a fact me being a "spirited" driver myself from time to time. I've seen 500hp integras take down 700hp supra's and the supra was not exactly losing traction, but merly too slow. Also you have to take into consideration drive type and weight so there is always a way to conpensate for power to weight if that is what your talking about. But like everything else there comes a point where power just wins period.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Listen, the 3rd gen maxima is no all out sports car. You want something that runs 12.0< buy something RWD. 300whp is good for well into the 13's which is plenty fast for a daily driver. If all you're interested in is street racing people you have the wrong car.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:11 PM

i'm happy with ~175? its never not enough on the road for me. but suspension, trans., tires, interior features, there is always room for improvement
PS i tried to register as Tom91GXE when i joined, haha!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:53 PM

I've seen Dan's setup in person and it's as clean as it looks in pics. He went all out on it and made it probably the cleanest looking install you'll see and didn't cut any corners.

Now that I know where he lives, I'm planning on going up there in a few months when it's warmer and stealing the car. Dont worry Dan, I'll leave my car in your driveway.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
I've seen Dan's setup in person and it's as clean as it looks in pics. He went all out on it and made it probably the cleanest looking install you'll see and didn't cut any corners.

Now that I know where he lives, I'm planning on going up there in a few months when it's warmer and stealing the car. Dont worry Dan, I'll leave my car in your driveway.
when you say "my car" is that your pop's BMW?

let me know when you stop by...i'll be waiting.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
I don't have ANY problems running any charge pipes nor downpipes. why does having heat shields around the radiator area have anything to do with cooling? i'm not driving the car in reverse...the radiator will get cool regardless...as long as i'm driving forward it's fine. the ceramic coated heat shields will contain the heat (if you were concerned about that).

if you're really pushing the **** poor design factor...i have a few comment about your set up right there. i don't make comments about your set up...i don't think it's fair for you to comment on mine unless you have first hand knowledge of it.

and yes...it's done...it runs... just because i don't post about it doesn't mean it's not done.

for the ones that are looking to do it...yes it does fit...yes you need to run slim fans and figure out A LOT of things.
hey danny hate to bother but i had to bring this thread back to the front were it belongs your car is nice i see there is a lot of craftsmenship here. but anyways how did you do your downpiping to the cat and a price range also. oh! did you get your computer up and running to get those pictures of the piping. if so id like to see thats all thats keeping me from finishing with my parts list.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Dan uses computers at the public library
Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
hey danny hate to bother but i had to bring this thread back to the front were it belongs your car is nice i see there is a lot of craftsmenship here. but anyways how did you do your downpiping to the cat and a price range also. oh! did you get your computer up and running to get those pictures of the piping. if so id like to see thats all thats keeping me from finishing with my parts list.
the old PC was done so a lot of stuff was lost...damn HD.

the turbo sits at the Z31 stock location. the DP come down just like the stock Y-pipe does and runs right at the stock location tunnel (by the oil pan and next to the x-member). from that it goes into a flex pipe (pretty much at the stock location) and eventually into a cat and a cat back exhaust. no rubbing or hitting the sway bar.

the entire assembly was finished off with a ceramic (jet hot) coating.

price...honestly i've lost count.

i might change the set up again since the turbo is low and the oil return line is not flowing as nice as i want to. i might end up bending a SS tube to enhance drain flow.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 AM

hey thanks for that info. im about 60% done as far as parts goes. i was just concerened about how you had your downpiping and intercooler piping routed in the engine bay. so as far as the downpiping, who would i go to as far as that fabrication goes? and also you have any spare pics of underneth your max to better enhance my veiw as far as it goes. would be very much appreciated on my behalf!. and for the turbo did you have to turn it around to gain access for the intake to be routed and also for clearing the motor mount? because here in arizona that a/c! ..............................Its a must have item

thanks alot for the input
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
hey thanks for that info. im about 60% done as far as parts goes. i was just concerened about how you had your downpiping and intercooler piping routed in the engine bay. so as far as the downpiping, who would i go to as far as that fabrication goes? and also you have any spare pics of underneth your max to better enhance my veiw as far as it goes. would be very much appreciated on my behalf!. and for the turbo did you have to turn it around to gain access for the intake to be routed and also for clearing the motor mount? because here in arizona that a/c! ..............................Its a must have item

thanks alot for the input
no idea who in your area can fab that. i did the fab/welding myself.
i'll try to find pics...have to reinstall windoze on the PC.
yes you'll need to flip the turbo around hence the slim fan for clearance.
the car has AC and you should be able to fit it in there..it's tight but it's doable. you just need to carefully fab the piping so it clears the mount but it doesn't take up too much space.