3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Turbo question

well i saw this pic and i didn;t think that you could just put the turbo like that? i thought some1 said the radiator fans would hit it and some other things, will this work?
i see he has no radiator in now but will it fit like that or not, or even if this person is on maxima.org
Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Yes it's doable,

Honda guys do it all the time belive it or not. The cool thing is you have a number or quite a few choices.

1. MAke some sort of heat sheild for the radiator while using an all aluminum radiator and smaller fan.

2.Move the radiator into a V-mount setup using a smaller yet adiquate radiator like seen in JGTC and some drift cars.

3. put the fan on the outside.

4. whatever creative method you come up with....

So generally,it's all up to what you think of and you're imagination.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM

well assuming i want to use this setup for my turbo, what ways would you recoment for making space, i was thinking smaller fans but not sure yet, also what is th smallest radiator that i could use that would still keep my car from overheating
thanks dan
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would not put it like that. It would just make things hard to run like charge pipe, down pipe and having all the heat right around the radiator. **** poor desing if you ask me. And i do beleive that person never finished that set up. check out this one its not the best in the world but it does work. and the down pipe goes behind the motor and I think im the only pesron to adchevie this.

Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

hey is that a 300zx turbo on a 89 vg or vg series motor in a 3rd gen?????
Old 12-27-2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
its a CT26 off a supra which is slightly larger than the T3 that came on the 300zx
Old 12-27-2005, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
dam where did you get the 89 from. Its a stock ct26 on a 93 stock vg30e with stock compression.(9;1).
Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 93turbo gxe
I would not put it like that. It would just make things hard to run like charge pipe, down pipe and having all the heat right around the radiator. **** poor desing if you ask me. And i do beleive that person never finished that set up. check out this one its not the best in the world but it does work. and the down pipe goes behind the motor and I think im the only pesron to adchevie this.

I don't have ANY problems running any charge pipes nor downpipes. why does having heat shields around the radiator area have anything to do with cooling? i'm not driving the car in reverse...the radiator will get cool regardless...as long as i'm driving forward it's fine. the ceramic coated heat shields will contain the heat (if you were concerned about that).

if you're really pushing the **** poor design factor...i have a few comment about your set up right there. i don't make comments about your set up...i don't think it's fair for you to comment on mine unless you have first hand knowledge of it.

and yes...it's done...it runs... just because i don't post about it doesn't mean it's not done.

for the ones that are looking to do it...yes it does fit...yes you need to run slim fans and figure out A LOT of things.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:12 AM

VERY Clean setup Dan. +1 for you. And it really doesn't matter where you put the turbo so long as there's room. You're gonna have to fab up a Y-pipe to mount it on anyway, so put it wherever you want. I think the side would be a little easier to work on.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Tom91GXE
VERY Clean setup Dan. +1 for you. And it really doesn't matter where you put the turbo so long as there's room. You're gonna have to fab up a Y-pipe to mount it on anyway, so put it wherever you want. I think the side would be a little easier to work on.
there's no Y pipe involved. on the dump side there's one downpipe..that's it. the pressure side factory Z31 runs a cross over tube over the tranny hump area.

oh and thanks for the comment.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dan, that's one clean set-up; very nice
Old 12-28-2005, 08:32 AM

nice set up Danny! Yes to me it a lot harder to put it down their. Than it is to just do something in the battery location and if you want to talk about my set up ...hey go ahead its not for show like yours. and hey im always tryin to inmprove it may it better so if you see something point it out. Do you have a e/t with that pretty thing? Dyno nummber. What type of fuel managment. and also what type of turbo. And another thing I was saying it it would not work with stock fans. And the motor mount is right their in the way making it a pina
Old 12-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

what tha...Dan posting pics of his own car on the org...whats the world coming to.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
I don't have ANY problems running any charge pipes nor downpipes. why does having heat shields around the radiator area have anything to do with cooling? i'm not driving the car in reverse...the radiator will get cool regardless...as long as i'm driving forward it's fine. the ceramic coated heat shields will contain the heat (if you were concerned about that).

if you're really pushing the **** poor design factor...i have a few comment about your set up right there. i don't make comments about your set up...i don't think it's fair for you to comment on mine unless you have first hand knowledge of it.

and yes...it's done...it runs... just because i don't post about it doesn't mean it's not done.

for the ones that are looking to do it...yes it does fit...yes you need to run slim fans and figure out A LOT of things.
how I suppose to know it runs?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nice set up Danny! Yes to me it a lot harder to put it down their. Than it is to just do something in the battery location and if you want to talk about my set up ...hey go ahead its not for show like yours. and hey im always tryin to inmprove it may it better so if you see something point it out. Do you have a e/t with that pretty thing? Dyno nummber. What type of fuel managment. and also what type of turbo. And another thing I was saying it it would not work with stock fans. And the motor mount is right their in the way making it a pina
i don't critize about someone's set up...i know you put a lot of hard work and sweat into it and i'm sure that goes for all the turbo 3rd gens out there. i can make suggestions..but i'm not going to go out and say that it's a **** poor design regardless how it's set up.

who said i was going to show it? i don't drive a show car...i do it for me. E/T? dyno? right now i don't have the time to do that...also it's not the ideal weather to be doing that up in the NE. maybe in the spring or summer months.

details...
Fuel management - Walbro high flow/pressure fuel pump, stock psi regulator, 370CC injector, stock MAF, JWT recal ECU.
Turbo - T3/T4 water cooled (forgot the A/R numbers)...yes the coolant lines are plumbed into the turbo

motor mount is in the stock position and clears perfectly fine. flexane filled front and rear mounts.
FAL slim fans replaced the stock fans.

let me break down more info for you on the details just in case you were interested..

JDM VG30ET
Garrett T3/T4 watercooled turbo
Tial 38MM WG
Blitz DD BOV
Sparco IC
all mandrel bent tubing. beaded ends where it hits silicone couplers
370CC injectors
walbro pump
JWT ECU - 370CC program w/ Nitrous daughterboard (recal for 370CC turbo spool up)

ceramic coated heat shields and DP
powder coated valve covers
polished IM/intake elbow with chrome plated hardware
polished IACV with spacer
chrome plated upper piping
powder coated lower piping

Blitz SBC-iD boost controller
Greddy 52mm oil psi gauge
Apex-i 60mm mechanical boost gauge
Apex-i 60mm EGT
Autometer 52mm ATF temp gauge

Earl's AN fittings with AN lines (those are not fake sleeves)
Silicone vacume tubing
Remote PS cooler
Greddy catch can w/ polished alum hard tubing

Transgo shift kit
Protorque TC
Phantom Grip LSD
ATF cooler with mocal sandwich t-stat
Braided ATF lines w/ AN fittings

i'm sure i'm missing a lot of stuff but everything was done on my own except for the chrome plating and some polished alum items.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

wtf? the driveway is on a 30 degree decline...you think i pushed the car up the driveway to take a pic? you have to be kidding me right? i'm the last person to call BS on. CraigB saw it run while he made the trip to NY. are you going to call craig a liar too now? what else do you have?

you think you're the only guy with a turbo in his 3rd gen? and they call me bitter...geez.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by awsm66
what tha...Dan posting pics of his own car on the org...whats the world coming to.
i dunno mike...it's the holidays. it's not like it's the first time i posted them...just people didn't notice where i posted them before.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

i dunno mike...it's the holidays. it's not like it's the first time i posted them...just people didn't notice where i posted them before.
To be honest...I just haven't been on much at all lately so I may have missed you post them...I just know you usually dont post your stuff.

It looks great though...you should show it more often.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

What makes you think it DOESN'T run? I mean it's about as finished as they come. People usually don't spend the extra time on chrome/polish/expensive AN fittings/braided lines at the beginning when things don't work.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

To be honest...I just haven't been on much at all lately so I may have missed you post them...I just know you usually dont post your stuff.

It looks great though...you should show it more often.
yeah same here...life is getting in the way of dyno runs and track time.
you're right...i don't usually post...but i guess i posted to make a point that the set up does work.

thanks for the good comments...i doubt i'll post anything else about it since people think it's still incomplete.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:02 AM

That's one hell of a camera :eek5:

Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM

I'm scurred

because you don't hear about it. How many posts do you see "my car runs great! what do I do about it?"

You forgot the valve covers
Old 12-28-2005, 10:41 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by erock7769
I am new to this forum stuff. I finally got the 1990 Maxima I have wanted for a really long time. I drove from Phoenix to Las Vegas for Christmas and on the way home I got a check engine light and the car is running roughly, warmer and consuming more fuel. I thought I had a catalytic converter problem but it seems to be clear so I was looking for the ECM. Where did they hide it on the 1990 model???? I've already got the Haynes manual and the codes etc....just need to know where the unit is. Could someone e-mail me the answear asap at erocks40@hotmail.com please????? Thanx
NO, but you can read it in the stickies
Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by erock7769
I am new to this forum stuff. I finally got the 1990 Maxima I have wanted for a really long time. I drove from Phoenix to Las Vegas for Christmas and on the way home I got a check engine light and the car is running roughly, warmer and consuming more fuel. I thought I had a catalytic converter problem but it seems to be clear so I was looking for the ECM. Where did they hide it on the 1990 model???? I've already got the Haynes manual and the codes etc....just need to know where the unit is. Could someone e-mail me the answear asap at erocks40@hotmail.com please????? Thanx
LOL what does this have to do with a turbo? you say you are new to forum stuff so here is a hint...post in a thread that pertains to your problem (you may have to go through the board a few pages to find it) or close to it so you can have more lookers that may know what your problem is. Then after you get 15 posts you can create your own post.

The ECU is under the radio and back a little. There are 2 panels on the center console that is between the firewall side and the console. Take the one off on the passenger side and you will see the ECU.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 AM

wtf? the driveway is on a 30 degree decline...you think i pushed the car up the driveway to take a pic? you have to be kidding me right? i'm the last person to call BS on. CraigB saw it run while he made the trip to NY. are you going to call craig a liar too now? what else do you have?

you think you're the only guy with a turbo in his 3rd gen? and they call me bitter...geez.
no I dont dought it runs now but you were saying dont say that it dont run or it was finished. Hell how was I suppose to know it was finished when thefirst pic at the top of the thread is all we every seen of it and no more. And I said I dont think that person every fished it. I did not mean any harm. I just never seen anymore about that pic(i knew I seen it long time ago and did not even trelized who car it was.) Im sure it runs and mad props to your set up. YOu should get you a 1;1 FPR though. it will help with tunning.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

no I dont dought it runs now but you were saying dont say that it dont run or it was finished. Hell how was I suppose to know it was finished when thefirst pic at the top of the thread is all we every seen of it and no more. And I said I dont think that person every fished it. I did not mean any harm. I just never seen anymore about that pic(i knew I seen it long time ago and did not even trelized who car it was.) Im sure it runs and mad props to your set up. YOu should get you a 1;1 FPR though. it will help with tunning.
might get the nismo FPR...but that's more down the line. i'm trying to keep the install clean. if that means i don't have to stick some external FPR on the POS..then i'll go with it.

everything that needs to be there is there...one last thing is probably wiring in the fans cleanly..right now i'm too busy to do that...but that shouldn't take much time.

FYI the first pic on the thread is NOT my pic. i just don't post much about it...hence mike made a comment about me posting pics.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by MrGone
That's one hell of a camera :eek5:

enh? sony camera that you never hooked me up with you mean?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Dan, thats a hell of a clean setup! Good job.

To contribute to this thread, here is how I and some others have routed piping to the turbo

and the turbo is mounted to a plate welded on the tranny mount

Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Dan, thats a hell of a clean setup! Good job.

To contribute to this thread, here is how I and some others have routed piping to the turbo

and the turbo is mounted to a plate welded on the tranny mount

I like this one,seems alot cleaner with more potential for bigger turbos in the long run.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:04 PM

might get the nismo FPR...but that's more down the line. i'm trying to keep the install clean. if that means i don't have to stick some external FPR on the POS..then i'll go with it.

everything that needs to be there is there...one last thing is probably wiring in the fans cleanly..right now i'm too busy to do that...but that shouldn't take much time.

FYI the first pic on the thread is NOT my pic. i just don't post much about it...hence mike made a comment about me posting pics.
Well if thats not your pic then Im right it seem that person did not get that set up up and running. Why you crawl my *** about saying that they did not finish like I said I did not mean any harm by it I was just sstating my opion and saying that I dont think that one once finshed
Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM

Well if thats not your pic then Im right it seem that person did not get that set up up and running. Why you crawl my *** about saying that they did not finish like I said I did not mean any harm by it I was just sstating my opion and saying that I dont think that one once finshed
DanNY = bling bling
Old 12-28-2005, 04:05 PM

enh? sony camera that you never hooked me up with you mean?
I tried

jack for a discount though
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 PM

also to contribute to this thread, here are some pictures of how i ran my piping.

Jeremy
Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well it is my job as a mod to push buttons of the members here

that person...right, but i have the same set up.
you also mentioned that it was a **** poor design too...forgot about that?

you can state it...but i can also defend the set up and go again your opinion. don't get bent out of shape that i went after you on that because it does work and it's a lot cleaner than other set ups i've seen.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:54 PM

I don't see how Danny or the other guy's setup is a ****-poor design. The point of a turbo is air-flow right? So why would you want to do a reverse y setup or anything other than what Danny did? Obviously the setup works great and I guarantee you that a turbo mounted directly to the manifold will be more efficient.

On the other hand, I don't know much about a custom VG turbo because my VG came from the factory with a snail on it
Old 12-28-2005, 08:10 PM

danny your set up is one of the best set ups I have seen on the org yet. its very nice looking.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 PM

thanks for the help guys
Old 12-29-2005, 08:34 PM

Anytime man....
Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Well...All you turbo guys make me sick! All your fancy smancy chrome and you boosty boost. Your little gauges everywhere with the little blinking lights.

[You really can't see it but the fine print in Priority's post says.]

[[I only say this because I'm jealous and don't have the ***** to trying a turbo setup on my p.o.s. At this point I'm really afraid that if I hit the gas to hard the wheels will fall off.]]

LOL
Old 12-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Looks marketable to me!

Quick Reply: Turbo question