3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I've about had enough!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've about had enough!!

Okay i have finally had enough. My maxima has got to go. Last night driving from work, the car looked like it wasover heating so i pull over to check and make sure i dont blow anything. As i got out of my car to open the hood, the car locked the me out as soon as i shut my driver side door. And by the way i am in Ma now(screw this weather). So i dont knwo what the hell is wrong with the car neither am i going to deal with it. i am tired of fixing it. I have already spent over $1800 in the past 5mnths changing parts and getting it fixed.
Bad thing too is that i start school 2mrw. So finally i thought i just bite the bullet and buy another car i wish i could just sell this one and have it going so i can worry about other things. Anyway just thought i could blow some steam.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:06 AM

u should probably change your signature then, either that or step back and realize that any type of car can give you problems. i think i was in the same boat when i first got my max, so much crap needed done to it, even though it looked good. did you ever find out if it was over heating?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 AM

i think its leaking coolant from somewhere. i havent located exactly where. well i like my maxima dont get me wrong everytime i tell someone how many miles the car has and smart and quick it is they all are pretty amazed.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 AM

it looked like it was overheating as in the gauge was up higher than normal or was the temp gauge still in the middle
Old 01-17-2006, 10:57 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxima92se
i think its leaking coolant from somewhere. i havent located exactly where. well i like my maxima dont get me wrong everytime i tell someone how many miles the car has and smart and quick it is they all are pretty amazed.
Dude...If you have over 150,000 on ANY car out there,you better expect more then average maintinence costs from it..You have already put alot of $$ in this car to just turn around and sell it...

List the things you have replaced to remedy the leaking problem..Then we will most likely be able to help you find the problem a little easier...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:05 AM

i had a dynasty with 120k on it; serpentine belt liked to come off of it in the rain after the smallest puddles, and then i couldnt drive it a mile without overheating hardcore.

hood wouldnt open unless you fought with it forever, and along with that, the radiator cracked...the transmission started slipping...could smell the catalytic converter going bad...blower motor went out..and then the blower wouldnt turn off unless i removed the fuse...then the custom switch i installed melted because the dumbasses at the shop used the wrong resistance in the switch...headliner hanged down like a mother...and i didnt have air conditioning. i also had to let the car sit in the start position before turning the engine over because there was this fuel pressure problem with the pump that no one knew how to fix...

176k on my maxima and i changed the alternator once and am having the water pump changed today.

but i know what youre saying; i deliver pizza to get thru college and i hate having to call in because i only have one car now.

just repair whatever comes along (usually happens all at once, which is the worst part) and you should be good for another 100k or so. i might have to cut classes short tomorrow so that i can pick up my car tomorrow if it isnt done today.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:09 AM

did i mention two tires blew on it in one year?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

all cars have problems. i just bought a 99 that was in an accident, has fogged up headlights, crooked grill, seat heaters diddnt work , trunk pop broken, lumber support handle gone, cv boots ripped, oil pressure switch leaking, needed all fluids changed, air filter LITERALLY looked like a dryer lint trap after 30 loads of clothes. needless to say i have fixed everythign and the car is excellent and btw the myth of the 4th gens handling bad isnt true at all.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:26 PM
mod or sell?

the 4th gen does handle worse than the 3rd though
Old 01-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Piggybacking on this post - newbie w/o privileges to post new...

Help if you can...My Max (92 5spd SE) is stalling, but it doesn't seem fuel/air related. The engine is not idling hard, it doesn't sputter before a stall, the Max just kills intermittently. It almost seems electrical. However, what contradicts this thought is that it usually happens after a cold start.

Anyway, it's been with my mechanic for the past week. He thought it was the ECU. I sent the ECU to have it diagnosed and it came back fine.

I saw a post recommending: "Check the intake hose and see if it is cracked. This is the black hose from the air meter to the filter box. Another area to check is the distributor for oil on the optical pickup. The distributor uses a optical pickup and shutter wheel that tells the computer when to fire the plugs. If oil gets past the distributor's internal seal the optics get coated and the engine runs like you describe."

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 PM

my 5th gen drives all bulky, ya know. i like the compactness/tightness of the 3rd gen. especially since i put my stock rims back on.