3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Slight Crankshaft Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:23 AM

Slight Crankshaft Wobble

Just wanted input from the VG people. Do you guys have an ever-so-slight wobble to your crankshaft pulley when the engine is running? I've noticed this for many many years, but the car always ran normal. I often wonder if it's just a visual illusion or not, but I just replaced my alternator, and it didn't get rid of my whining idle.

Just curious if anyone noticed the same. I hear that VGs from 1993-1994 have thin crankshafts that can break.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:49 AM

I noticed the same thing on my VE, but later realized that it was the washer on the pulley bolt that was offcenter a tad and made it look that way.........honestly though if you had a wobble in your crankshaft, i think that you would have had some problems with the engine by now.....
Old 01-23-2006, 06:48 AM
what can my max do for me

Originally Posted by Drivin Maxima
I noticed the same thing on my VE, but later realized that it was the washer on the pulley bolt that was offcenter a tad and made it look that way.........honestly though if you had a wobble in your crankshaft, i think that you would have had some problems with the engine by now.....

my eyes just popped outta my head when i read this thread title!!
i'd really hope that like Drivin Maxima said it's just an illusion....
if ur crankshaft is wobbling, the pulley is probably the LAST thing u would notice.

u mentioned a few things that r curious. u said u have a whine at idle that u attempted to resolve by replacing the alternator (how did u get to that conclusion?)
so after replacing the alt u noticed the cranshaft pulley wobble? did u actually measure runout or is it so off being true that u don't need to?

if it really is wobbling, i'd start by pulling the pulley, and reinstalling it with new hardware and at the proper torque - of course after making sure that the pulley is round and not deformed

this is a good one..keep us posted....pics would be nice too
Old 01-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would look at the crank pulley first. The rubber ring in the pulley may be shot. It is common on some other makes for this to happen. This is your harmonic balancer and allows for a very slight movement from the outer part of the pulley which in turn cancels out internal harmonics (vibration) from the engine. Japanese engines normally have very good internal balance from the factory, that's why Nissan owners can get away with eliminating the harmonic balancer feature when they install an UDP. Take an old small block Chevy with a cast crank and eliminate the balaner and you'll have a snapped cranked in short order.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:24 AM

it may in fact be a visual illusion. the outer surface of the crankshaft pully probably has marks on it that make it apear like it's rotating unevenly. i've been fooled for a second by watching mine.