3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Picture or Diagram of Where Speed Sensor is Located

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can someone please direct, or post a picture or diagram of where speed sensor is? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2001, 03:25 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Stand on Driver's side. Lean over fender looking toward the Oil filter. Below you is the tranny, there is a small cylinder sticking up out of the tranny with a wire comming off of it, this is it. There is one screw holding it in place, but you should use a socket, a 10mm I believe. Once broke free, you can take it out with your fingers. Pull striaght up on the sensor, and viola! Done. Help?
Old 06-10-2001, 01:43 PM

Jiggle it ..

You may also have to give it a jiggle as you pull up on it. They aren't the easiest to pull up.

Brent.
Old 06-10-2001, 07:36 PM

Just wondering, is your sensor broken? Are you going going to fix it or buy a new one?
Old 06-11-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Hen92
Just wondering, is your sensor broken? Are you going going to fix it or buy a new one?
Thanks, everyone for the info... I had been trying to find that darn thing...

Anyway, no the sensor is not broken, but I recently did the guage swap from a 92-SE, and wanted to get the speed sensor to make sure the speedo calibration was right... Hopefully, I can find a used one, but junkyards don't want to pull from trannies unless they are going to junk...
Old 06-11-2001, 02:37 PM

Calibration

You shouldn't need to swap sensors. The same sensor is used in the JDM Maximas in the US Market ones and in the Pacific Rim ones. All the units does it sends a voltage signal to the dash. The micro on the dash does all the work with respect to converting the signal into a speed.

Brent.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:47 PM

Re: Calibration

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MadMaxBrent
[B]You shouldn't need to swap sensors. The same sensor is used in the JDM Maximas in the US Market ones and in the Pacific Rim ones. All the units does it sends a voltage signal to the dash. The micro on the dash does all the work with respect to converting the signal into a speed.

Yeah, but supposedly, there is a difference between the GXE and SE models from 89-91 and 92-94 respectively. The speedo on the 89-91 SE goes to 125 mph (not sure of km), on the SE and GXE models. My car is a 91 GXE. The speedo on the 92-94 SE models goes to 145 mph, this is the speedo I switched to... I think ngting stated that the speedo was off by 1/3 a mph after doing this swap.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:56 PM

Part Numbers

Have you checked the part numbers for the sensor for the different models? That would tell you if they are different. I would hate to see you pay for an item you may not need. To my mind, it would be silly to design 2 different sensors where a reprogrammed micro could do the job. Doesn't mean it ain't the case though!

Brent.
Old 06-11-2001, 03:02 PM

Re: Part Numbers

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MadMaxBrent
[B]Have you checked the part numbers for the sensor for the different models? That would tell you if they are different. I would hate to see you pay for an item you may not need. To my mind, it would be silly to design 2 different sensors where a reprogrammed micro could do the job. Doesn't mean it ain't the case though!

Unfortunately, they do have different part numbers. The part number for the sensor that I need (92-94 SE) is 25010-96E01. I didn't get the number for the one that is on my car now, but the dealership gave me the part number for the sensor I need.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:24 PM

Hmmm

I dealt with Courtesy Nissan when I was checking out part numbers and that is the part number they quoted me. Same part number also that I was quoted and listed on the invoice from my New Zealand Nissan dealer.

You have to wonder what goes on in the minds of designers sometimes.

Brent.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:47 PM
Marcus Cantu

Re: Calibration

Originally posted by MadMaxBrent
You shouldn't need to swap sensors. The same sensor is used in the JDM Maximas in the US Market ones and in the Pacific Rim ones. All the units does it sends a voltage signal to the dash. The micro on the dash does all the work with respect to converting the signal into a speed.

Brent.
Brent, I have a 1991 Nissan Maxima SE (automatic). I was wondering if you could help on this similiar question. My speedometer doesn't work at all. I have done a continuity check across the wires from the back of thr speedometer to the hook up wires on the sensor and there were no breaks in the wires. That tells me that it is either the sensor that is bad or the actual cluster is bad. Is there any way for me to run a check on the sensor using a digital multimeter or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2001, 06:17 PM

Re: Re: Calibration

Originally posted by Marcus Cantu

Brent, I have a 1991 Nissan Maxima SE (automatic). I was wondering if you could help on this similiar question. My speedometer doesn't work at all. I have done a continuity check across the wires from the back of thr speedometer to the hook up wires on the sensor and there were no breaks in the wires. That tells me that it is either the sensor that is bad or the actual cluster is bad. Is there any way for me to run a check on the sensor using a digital multimeter or something. Any help would be appreciated.
There sure is. Remove the speed sensor from the transmission and insert the probes from the multimeter into the connection plug on the sensor. Spin the spindle on the sensor and you should get a DC voltage output. You may try conneting a drill to the end of the sensor after removing the spindle (held on by a circlip - be careful that it doesn't ping off somewhere)to keep it spinning at faster speeds but if you have no speedo then the sensor is either working or it isn't.

Also, if your trip meter or odometer is working then the sensor is feeding to the dash so either the micro has gone bad (unlikely) or you have some dry / partial joints on the dash. These are easily fixed if you are handy with a soldering iron. My dash had partials around the micro and in other various locations, so we resoldered all the joints and it seems to be working OK.

Hope this helps some.

Brent.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Innacurate speedometer

My '91 Maxima SE speedometer suddenly registers a higher-than-actual speed (approximately 30% faster ). I can't tell if this is linear, but seems fairly consistent. I've had three of these cars and never a problem like this. Any ideas or suggestions?