3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What is this? pic

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

What is this? pic

what exactly does it do? thanks

Also, is this the bleeding valve that I am supposed to open when bleeding the coolant system? I am asking because I read about a bv on the firewall but this one is not...
Old 02-09-2006, 10:10 AM

i believe it is the heater control valve or something like that. mine is broken in which it doesn't open and close when I move the heat from hot to cold. I'm sure someone has some more info on it tho
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by aw89maxSE
i believe it is the heater control valve or something like that. mine is broken in which it doesn't open and close when I move the heat from hot to cold. I'm sure someone has some more info on it tho
Yeah,that is the valve that allows coolant into the heater core when you flip the switch to the heat side in the car...

As for the bleeding screw i would just go all out when bleeding the system and jack up the front end of the up 39 inches or more,then while the car is running, keep topping off the radiator until it will not hold anymore coolant...Be sure to give the car about 20-30 minutes idle time while you are topping off the radiator...
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

i did this guys...i had the car jacked up as much as I could and let it idle for close to an hour while adding coolant...one thing I noticed is that I added much less colant to the system than the amount I drained, and the radiator started overflowing...I have some heat but it's not where it should be...that's why I am thinking that I've missed something. After reading through the search results I saw that people are talking about a bleeding screw by the firewall? where is that exactly?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that bolt you pointed out by the label 'never open when hot' is a bleeder valve for the cooling system.
when i refilled my coolant i just put in as much as i could, placed the cap on, but not tighten so its not pressurizing, then drive the car up and down the driveway, and refill. i was able to fill it all the way that way with no problems
Old 02-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what happens if your car gives out nothing but heat, and the temp control isnt working. Esspiecally crappy during the summer when you car is blasting heat meanwhile its a smokin hot outside.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Alex_V

make sure theres no vac hose leak in the area. I have a heater control from my 166K max, pm me if your interested.

~Alex

Old 02-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Lives in a Maxima

Originally Posted by sp3dymax
what happens if your car gives out nothing but heat, and the temp control isnt working. Esspiecally crappy during the summer when you car is blasting heat meanwhile its a smokin hot outside.
Have you checked the cables coming out of the heater control in the dash? They're just metal cables like bicycle brakes or your accelerator, but if they're broken, i could see how maybe you could be stuck in high heat.

Is the fan always on high or is the air always hot? If it's just temp and not fan speed I would definately check out the cables. Or the little thingy in the pictures (whatever we decided it was called) may be stuck open. If that's the case you may as well junk your car. j/k
Old 02-24-2006, 12:18 AM

this post is in regard to 14d in the pix in the first post.

For some reason on my car, that lever that opens and closes 14c does not work on my car. It's suppose to go back and fourth when I turn the temp from hot to cold on the climate control, but it doesn't and my friend and I (after many times of trying to find out why it doesn't work and replacing the whole unit which still didn't work) have yet figured out why it doesn't work.

Now I am posting this because I was wondering if had anything to do for like when the heat is on and the car is just idling, it's doesn't blow air that is hot as opposed to it blowing hotter air while I'm driving. Now I realize that when the engine is working harder, it will put out more heat, but I was curious that if the reason my air is still not as hot as it should maybe be while idling because this level will not fully open and stay open.

Hope that makes sense