3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Won't shift or is stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Won't shift or is stuck in gear

I just put my new engine and VLSD tranny in and hooked up everything. My friend was inside my car tinkering with something and noticed that it won't shift. I tried and could not get it to shift into any gear. It might be stuck in a gear though. Pressing in the clutch does not help either. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:26 PM

It is stuck in either 2nd or 4th, and it is stuck pretty good. I guess that I'll have to crack the case.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:48 PM

check the shifting linkage maybe????
Old 02-10-2006, 05:44 PM

have a short throw shifter installed? make sure it or the shift linkage didn't catch something like vans mentioned. i'd avoid pulling the tranny if at all possible... that's just me though since i've had to screw with them so much.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:53 PM

just get under the car, and try to move the linkage, or disconnect it fron the tranny and try to move it yourself to see if the linkage is what is holding it up
Old 02-10-2006, 07:45 PM

I have disconnected the linkage; I cannot move it by hand or any other implement laying around. I have unscrewed the bolt on the side and tried tinkering inside the hole with a flathead, but to no avail. I have a tranny in the garage w/ bad input shaft bearing, and after it arrived I had to undo the bolt and mess with it for it to become unjarred.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 PM

All of a sudden today when I was driving my 5 speed transmission started giving me some trouble. The car has 166,000 miles on it and it is a 93. I can't get the gear shifter over enough to make it to 1st or 2nd gear. It works perfectly in 3-5 and Reverse but no 1st or 2nd. Anyone know what it may be. First thing tomorrow I'm going to look under the car and see if there is something blocking the gearshifter from moving that far over but other than that I'm stuck. Could it be my transmission is gone?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris
Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 PM

nismo: your shift rods are out of place due to a screwed up checkball position. you're going to have to take the case off and reset everything. don't shift out of neutral until the 2 check ***** and springs are placed and screwed into the side of the case or rods will drop and you'll get locked into gears.

maxeema. sounds like a busted input shaft bearing. you have debris inside the tranny blocking you out of 1-2.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxeema
All of a sudden today when I was driving my 5 speed transmission started giving me some trouble. The car has 166,000 miles on it and it is a 93. I can't get the gear shifter over enough to make it to 1st or 2nd gear. It works perfectly in 3-5 and Reverse but no 1st or 2nd. Anyone know what it may be. First thing tomorrow I'm going to look under the car and see if there is something blocking the gearshifter from moving that far over but other than that I'm stuck. Could it be my transmission is gone?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris
Your input shaft bearing is toast..

Option 1. Find a used replacement transmission at a junkyard..

Option 2. Have a transmission shop repair your transmission..

Option 3. Repair it yourself..you need a factory service manual for sure before attempting this/some specialized tools/lots of time and patience..
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 AM

My Tranny had some nasty battle scars from shards of the ISB.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Alex_V

Can one check the condition of the ISB when the tranny is out and not disassembled? My tranny isn't making any noise like its dying I just want to know if its time to look for a VE tranny...Its got 221K and shifting fine so I hope not.

~Alex

Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Can one check the condition of the ISB when the tranny is out and not disassembled? My tranny isn't making any noise like its dying I just want to know if its time to look for a VE tranny...Its got 221K and shifting fine so I hope not.

~Alex
Well,generally if the tranny is not grinding in neutral or through 1st/2nd gear,then the bearing is fine....I don't think there would be any effective method to check the bearing without opening the case...
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM

If it is bad there is generally a tiny bit to a ton of play in the input shaft itself. If you try wiggling the input shaft and it does move its highly likely that the bearing is bad.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This post is completely off subject (other than I have a "stuck" problem too) but can't start a new thread for some reason. I've searched for my problem with no luck. Has anyone else experienced the temperature selector getting stuck in the middle? Cold is to the left and Hot is to the right...mine is stuck in the middle. I also have a 67 Mustang and know that the heater box has sleeved arms that control which "door" to open when the temperature selector is changed. Only thing I can relate it to is that something might be in the way of the "door" properly opening. Perhaps a hose or something is in the way. I've had this problem for quite some time and need my cold a/c back. It will work great if only I can get the damn thing to move over to the cold side. Am I the only one to experience this? Any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks a bunch!!

'94 Maxima SE
201,234 miles
Super White
Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 PM

I thought the input shaft bearing was fairly easy to replace (or at least inspect) once the tranny is dropped...but I could be wrong, eh Wayne?

But if the bearing is already FUBARed and there's crap floating around inside, as mentioned above you might be looking at an expensive problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:14 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by cyarnell26
This post is completely off subject (other than I have a "stuck" problem too) but can't start a new thread for some reason. I've searched for my problem with no luck. Has anyone else experienced the temperature selector getting stuck in the middle? Cold is to the left and Hot is to the right...mine is stuck in the middle. I also have a 67 Mustang and know that the heater box has sleeved arms that control which "door" to open when the temperature selector is changed. Only thing I can relate it to is that something might be in the way of the "door" properly opening. Perhaps a hose or something is in the way. I've had this problem for quite some time and need my cold a/c back. It will work great if only I can get the damn thing to move over to the cold side. Am I the only one to experience this? Any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks a bunch!!

'94 Maxima SE
201,234 miles
Super White
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=491440
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxitech
I thought the input shaft bearing was fairly easy to replace (or at least inspect) once the tranny is dropped...but I could be wrong, eh Wayne?

But if the bearing is already FUBARed and there's crap floating around inside, as mentioned above you might be looking at an expensive problem.

I've never replaced one before,so i can't say how hard/easy it is..IMO,to inspect one the right way,you would need to crack the case open...