3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

custom built fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Dysfunctional

custom built fuel rail

yeah

me and a buddy just built a fuel rail from some box tube, and it came out pretty desent. ill put some pics up real soon, ill be installing it in a couple days.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 AM

sorry dude i got nothing out of this thread you didn't even explain what you did aside making a new fuel rail, explain atleast the purpase, materials .. something..
Old 03-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There seems to be a desent purpase....oh I mean decent purpose. Only reason to do this if you are boosting heavily, and even then you can just double feed or something, but props if it looks clean and makes you feel better about your car.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Im izz sexay

As I remeber he had his engine built w/turbo.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 AM

why the stockers flow fine or are they for top feed injectors?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Dysfunctional

yeah they are top feed, i will post pics in 6 hours.!

someone wanna tell me what to type to make the picture pop up instead of a link.

uhhh yeah around 945 pm ill have emm up.

yes, i have a built motor with a Garrett GT35R turbo and a custom exhaust manifold maid by me and my buddy. ill post some pics of that as well, the project is almost ready.
i'd say maybe a month left of slight work and then its on to tuning

Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Dysfunctional
yeah they are top feed, i will post pics in 6 hours.!

someone wanna tell me what to type to make the picture pop up instead of a link.

uhhh yeah around 945 pm ill have emm up.

yes, i have a built motor with a Garrett GT35R turbo and a custom exhaust manifold maid by me and my buddy. ill post some pics of that as well, the project is almost ready.
i'd say maybe a month left of slight work and then its on to tuning

when you reply to or post a new message you click this button above the message box and insert the picture address. If you have it hosted on a site that allows external linking then you will see the picture in your post.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Dysfunctional

okay here yea go

Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 AM

Nice Work!!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:19 PM
STFU n00b!

WTF?!
take this as constructive criticism here, but that's not a fuel rail man.. that's a piece of square tubing, with a bunch of rubber hoses scabbed onto it. I might expect to see that on a homemade lawnmower, but not on a turbo'd car.

The hoses themselves are easy sources of leaks, and you've got a zillion of them. too many places for fuel to leak, and it just looks ghetto. Also, how are you going to get the injectors to stay in the manifold? they need some sort of clamp, cap, or terminal to hold them in place- ESPECIALLY if you're going to be running boost.. the air behind them will then be trying to push them out of the intake manifold.

I appreciate the fact you're trying to do something different, but it's got to look good as well as be functional.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM

Oh wow.. I thought this was slightly less ghetto.... Wow.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Dysfunctional

uhhh,
accually i presure tested them at 130 psi ... and they didnt "pop off " or come undone. the 6 tubes are to get to the injectors on my VG ... since i have Top Feed. the 2 lines on the sides are a feed / in tube. and the other one is an exit / out tube ... its basics here people, i dunno why its GHETTO?

lets see u make one. there isnt really an easy way to go about this.
well, ill have pics when its installed. its not what it " looks " like, its how it works. function over form, thats my motto.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM

When I saw fuel rail, I was thinking cnc machined... Clean. The top feed setups I've seen where solid lines. What we mean by ghetto is rubber pipes and hose clamps. But if it really makes a difference, it doesn't matter what we think. It's your car, just expect some critism.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Dysfunctional

well
what would u guys do different?
what should i change to " make it less ghetto"
im not a machinest here. i just welded some stuff that would hold 130 psi and carry fuel.
maybe some pics / help

Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 AM

Someone educate me please, what is the purpose of installing a fuel rail such as this? What the are advantages over stock fuel rail?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:41 AM
No turbo, no care!

what would u guys do different?
what should i change to " make it less ghetto"
I would have bought the proper injectors, and used the stock fuel rail.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:28 PM
mod or sell?

one point I haven't seen mentioned is how well said fuel rail will flow fuel.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
one point I haven't seen mentioned is how well said fuel rail will flow fuel.
it should flow fine but ive never seen anything like that it really should be called a fuel distribution block its no different than going to the hardware store and making one of the out of brass fittings

heres a question how are the injectors going to be attached to the lower intake
Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 PM

ummm Sorry Umm WTF!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:41 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by subs1000w
it should flow fine but ive never seen anything like that it really should be called a fuel distribution block
its no different than going to the hardware store and making one of the out of brass fittings

heres a question how are the injectors going to be attached to the lower intake
a distribution block has all round passages with no corners for fuel to get "stuck" in
Old 03-05-2006, 12:22 PM
STFU n00b!

come back in 6 months or a year and show us how well those hoses have held up to the fuel. the old Zs had barbed injectors like those and are notirous for leaking around the rubber lines.

you also have no way to hold those injectors into the manifold like I mentioned above.

It's ghetto because it's a piece of square tubing with a bunch of barbed fittings stuck into it. you're not a machinist and it's obvious. a machinist is what's needed to make a proper fuel rail.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Dysfunctional

well, those tubes arent goin to be hard to change ... its right on the top of the engine. if it leaks, ill change emm.
but i may change to braided lines. but this is just a mock up, it cost me $30. so its no big deal to just change to something else, i may get some of that fuel rail that comes premade, with rounder corners. but who knows, it this works, it works.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:29 PM
STFU n00b!

you still need a way to hold the injectors into the intake manifold. and you're not going to be able to just change the hoses out. in order to get to the injectors, you're going to have to pull the intake manifold off.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Dysfunctional

oh!!!

no i am making brakets, they are going to be steel cutouts that fit near the top of the injector, that bolt to to the valve cover for support. i have access to a cnc machine, so ill be making a better fuel rail, i just whipped this together to get my car running. i just want to drive my maxima, its been a year since i've drivin it
im not half asting anything, i mean everything will work and hold up, i just spent like $15000 on my motor and some excessories. so im now making some stuff myself. i agree it doesnt "LOOK" the best, but if it works, who cares what it looks like. as long as it works an works efficeintly. i can deal with an " ugly " part if my car rips.

anyone know where i can get braided lines that have those top feed injector clips that connect straight to the injector instead of hose clamps?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

oh!!!

no i am making brakets, they are going to be steel cutouts that fit near the top of the injector, that bolt to to the valve cover for support. i have access to a cnc machine, so ill be making a better fuel rail, i just whipped this together to get my car running. i just want to drive my maxima, its been a year since i've drivin it
im not half asting anything, i mean everything will work and hold up, i just spent like $15000 on my motor and some excessories. so im now making some stuff myself. i agree it doesnt "LOOK" the best, but if it works, who cares what it looks like. as long as it works an works efficeintly. i can deal with an " ugly " part if my car rips.

anyone know where i can get braided lines that have those top feed injector clips that connect straight to the injector instead of hose clamps?
good lord...
you have access to a CNC machine...but can you or do you know how to use one? technically we ALL have access to a CNC machine..depends on how much you want to pay to get your crap done.

unless you can program a CNC in your spare time no one worth a damn will make a single piece of anything. i had parts made in the past...the SC idler pullies on the V2. i even made the spacers for matt's TB spacers but i haven't seen anything worth a damn from you.

you've been a BSer in the past and it shows now. how on earth would you spend $15,000 on a car/engine that's over 10 years old with 10 year old technology? for $15K i better be making a REAL rail instead of "playing" around with one. are you going to be in indy or doing some 7 second funny car racing w/ that $15K motor?

braided lines should all go to some alum fitting. what are you talking about here? got a pic?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM

1. Macro Mode
2. Resize the pictures, ASAP
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 PM

NOW, that is what i call a "custom built fuel rail" for a VG.
BTW, thay are not my, but i wish.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 AM

^^^^ Is that a 2nd gen VG? If it is, man that is some nice work, and its so damn clean I can eat off of it.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Alex_V

Thats in a RWD car so most likely a 300zx. Very very clean too....

~Alex

Old 03-07-2006, 08:25 AM

Those are some pics i collected when i had/building my 88T 300zx, that is also a 300zx turbo, i think that beast deyno at >400hp at the wheel. People don't built custom fuel rail for nothing, they build it to accomplish the bigger turbo they put in.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

looks good NISMO.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Dysfunctional

well,
unfortunatly, i cant have a fuelrail like that, cause our maxima intake pleniums dont go like that, they have a stagered stance, so a straight fuel rail wont work. you have to somehow make individual fuel lines going to the injector.

so pretty much i'd just buy a piece of that "real" fuel rail and put it where i made mine. but it still does the same thing, carry fuel.
i dont know why everything has to " LOOK " so good. if it works isnt that good enough, im not a big fan of everything looking excellent, ijust want it to run and rip ecxellent. thats all

Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

the question is, how well does it work?? even though you have more injector options with a top feed rail, theres no point if it doesn't flow any better or maybe worse than a set of 550cc sidemounts that will easily, properly and more efficiently install into the stock sidefeed rail.

i dont know why everything has to " LOOK " so good. if it works isnt that good enough, im not a big fan of everything looking excellent, ijust want it to run and rip ecxellent. thats all
Old 03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Dysfunctional

thats the thing, side feeds are harder to tune then top feed because of the rail it self.

im going to get it flow tested to see if it accually does flow enough, or i can hook it up to my standalone with out the injectors in the manifold, and i can squirt them into a bucket and see if any cop'out. i can make the fuel presure go as high as i need it to , and see if it doesnt work, if thats so, then ill have to make changes, BUT this rail is wider than one of those u buy, all i think i need to do is put a inline fuel pump in, and it should flow enough, i have a walbro in now. so if it doesnt flow enough, i guess back to the drawing board.

any suggestions? on what to do different or what to change?

Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

thats the thing, side feeds are harder to tune then top feed because of the rail it self.
please elaborate on that....so your setup is apparently more efficient than the OEM design? not arguing, just constructive conversation.

I have messed around and "tuned" 1 or 2 turbo 4th gen Maximas using the stock fuel rail with side feed 370cc up to 550cc injectors with NO ISSUES.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Dysfunctional

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
please elaborate on that....so your setup is apparently more efficient than the OEM design? not arguing, just constructive conversation.

I have messed around and "tuned" 1 or 2 turbo 4th gen Maximas using the stock fuel rail with side feed 370cc up to 550cc injectors with NO ISSUES.

i've talked with 5 or 6 people on a different forum and they said that the side feed were harder to tune, i think it has to do with something about the injector, i had to get low impedience injecotors. i dunno exactly what that means, but i got them.