3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WTB EBC "Dust Free" brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 05:13 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Do these pads really eliminate dust? If so, where can I get some? I need to keep the dust out of the stack SE rims.

thanks
Old 06-11-2001, 05:35 PM

No, they dust a lot. The stopping power is amazing, but they are far from dust free.
Old 06-11-2001, 05:53 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

HoJo nailed it...stopping is great but if you're in the market for dustless....these are the first to scratch off your list...
Old 06-11-2001, 05:58 PM

My old Axxis MetalMaster pads didn't dust too much and I bought them fairly cheap at Carparts.com (with the discount coupon of course =)
Old 06-11-2001, 06:31 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

you guys sure they dust alot? i havent had them so i wouldnt know from experience, but their site brags about "award winning dust free"

http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm
Old 06-11-2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by James92SE
you guys sure they dust alot? i havent had them so i wouldnt know from experience, but their site brags about "award winning dust free"

http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm
Who cares what the Company says. That's like saying "Using Tornado air filters will gain in increase of 5-30hp"... uhh BS!

It's better to get opinions from people who have had experience with the Product.
Old 06-11-2001, 06:42 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

lol.....well i'm not that dumb, i didnt think they would be absolutely dust free. i figured there would be some relevance to their statement though.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:01 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

not in this case....i wish i took pictures of my stock rims before i cleaned them every 2 days with the EBC's...with the axxis pads i barely have to wipe them when i clean the car each week...
Old 06-12-2001, 07:46 AM

Hmm....no....they dust tons. I've got em. I think the braking performance is better than what stock/nissan pads would give, but not amazing like hojo said.

Mike S.
Old 06-12-2001, 08:50 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Mike S.
Hmm....no....they dust tons. I've got em. I think the braking performance is better than what stock/nissan pads would give, but not amazing like hojo said.

Mike S.

Please read the sticky post at the top of the page for "3rd Gen Brake Part Numbers". Inside,there are links to my personal experiences, including EBC brake pads.

Please don't waste your money on these pads....get Porterfield pads if you want maximum braking with dust...
Old 06-12-2001, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by James92SE
lol.....well i'm not that dumb, i didnt think they would be absolutely dust free. i figured there would be some relevance to their statement though.
I would think that friction alone will prevent any brake pad from being dust free. As the pad pushes against the rotor, the pad is being worn down and eaten away, well, something has to become of the material from the pad. It is ground into small particles that resemble dust. It shouldn't matter what the pads are made of, they should not be dust free.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:28 AM
poulakis

Brake that Dust

Originally posted by blackandwhite
Do these pads really eliminate dust? If so, where can I get some? I need to keep the dust out of the stack SE rims.

thanks
If you have an open style of wheel, the DBA brake rotors really make your car look special. Also assists with minimising dust from pads. This is achieved with the cross--drilled and slotted features of the DBA rotors.

Check them out at http://www.dba.com.au

Old 06-13-2001, 06:10 AM
poulakis

Originally posted by blackandwhite

thanks
I feel that the brakes on the all Maxima models leave a bit to be desired when it comes to high performance work.

I have just upgraded my brake rotors with the new DBA Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors and I tell you what, there is a tremendous difference. Rotors are drilled because the drilling lets vaporized pad material escape from under the pads, minimizing the hydroplaning effect under hard braking thus giving the pads better grip under these extreme conditions. Drilling also lets water escape in much the same manor in rainy weather. Tests done show that drilled rotors can cool down up to 20 percent quicker than solid rotors. Drilling also helps deglaze the rotors or keeps them from glazing up due to a cheese grater effect.

First off the DBA rotors operate at a much lower temperature which allows you to use a higher coefficient of friction, less aggressive brake pad. This gives a lower, easier to modulate more consistent brake pedal effort. With the DBA rotors you get a feeling of immensely powerful stopping ability, which bolsters you confidence.

The slotting of the rotors also assist with the wear and tear on the pads.

For the money, I think it’s pretty hard to beat Axxiss Metal Matrix pads, if you are a Solo competitor, or just drive hard. These pads last a long time, don’t kill rotors, and are reasonable in the cold (be careful at the first couple of morning stops!). These pads are about ½ the price of carbon pads. They are even good for light use race pads. Best off (for me!) they make very little dust, minimizing cleaning chores.

But I strongly suggest the DBA rotors, they look really cool and have just hit the US streets. Made in Sydney Australia and won many product awards as best product of the year, it;s worth looking into to.

Check out their web site at http://www.dba.com.au
If you want to knwo where to get them, let me know where you are.

Old 06-13-2001, 08:12 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by poulakis
I feel that the brakes on the all Maxima models leave a bit to be desired when it comes to high performance work.

Agreed.

I have just upgraded my brake rotors with the new DBA Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors and I tell you what, there is a tremendous difference.

Having had Drilled/Slotted rotors, it does improve pedal feel and inspire confidence.

Rotors are drilled because the drilling lets vaporized pad material escape from under the pads, minimizing the hydroplaning effect under hard braking thus giving the pads better grip under these extreme conditions.

The degree to which this is true for typical use is minimal, IMHO. Having done the drilled and blank setup, I've found a good set of pads with non-warped rotors make the biggest performance difference.

Drilling also lets water escape in much the same manor in rainy weather. Tests done show that drilled rotors can cool down up to 20 percent quicker than solid rotors. Drilling also helps deglaze the rotors or keeps them from glazing up due to a cheese grater effect.

If available, could you provide a link to these tests so that we can review them?

First off the DBA rotors operate at a much lower temperature which allows you to use a higher coefficient of friction, less aggressive brake pad. This gives a lower, easier to modulate more consistent brake pedal effort. With the DBA rotors you get a feeling of immensely powerful stopping ability, which bolsters you confidence.

Again, could I see a link with this info? I guess I really want to know how "independent" the tests are....

The slotting of the rotors also assist with the wear and tear on the pads.

On the contrary, my experiences with slotted rotors have been the exact opposite. The pads I have used tend to get chewed up faster. With cross-drilled only, I didn't notice this as an issue.

For the money, I think it’s pretty hard to beat Axxiss Metal Matrix pads, if you are a Solo competitor, or just drive hard. These pads last a long time, don’t kill rotors, and are reasonable in the cold (be careful at the first couple of morning stops!). These pads are about ½ the price of carbon pads. They are even good for light use race pads. Best off (for me!) they make very little dust, minimizing cleaning chores.

Amen. They are the best overall pads.

But I strongly suggest the DBA rotors, they look really cool and have just hit the US streets. Made in Sydney Australia and won many product awards as best product of the year, it;s worth looking into to.

I disagree. I think Brembo blank rotors offer the best for the money. However, if "show" is what your after, they probably are worth a look.

Check out their web site at http://www.dba.com.au
If you want to knwo where to get them, let me know where you are.
I'll take a look at them.