3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

free mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 04:50 AM

ok, i am college student and as most people know about college students, they are always broke. but i do not panic for i know there is something called "free mods" and sometimes those are the best ones. like for example for performance there is the advance timing and for show you can take off your side moldings. now if anyone else knows of any free mods, please post and also i think if we get a big list we should also make this "sticky". thank you...
Old 06-15-2001, 05:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

vtc rewire, foglight rewire, corner lights rewire (2 different ones) all on my page and the parts will cost less than $3 each usually

cleanning your throttle body is also about $5 and can help bring back a little power sometimes and smooth out your idle

mesh grille can be made for $5 if you have some time and patience
Old 06-15-2001, 08:47 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well as for "affordable" mods.....

Painting interior, engine dress up($5 paint and $10 of wire loom), interior lighting.......
Old 06-15-2001, 09:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

Cleaning the coolant temp sensor connector.

Credit. Brubestein?
Old 06-15-2001, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Cleaning the coolant temp sensor connector.

Credit. Brubestein?
I beliebe it was RosenKen
Old 06-15-2001, 11:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah yes. Brubestein is the guy I argue with.

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

I beliebe it was RosenKen
Old 06-15-2001, 11:30 AM

Re: Well as for "affordable" mods.....

Originally posted by DA-MAX
Painting interior, engine dress up($5 paint and $10 of wire loom), interior lighting.......
Painting your calipers. $5 plus a little time. As Craig mentiones, the rewires on the lights are sweet.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:09 PM

I just finished painting the inside of my car you can check it out at

http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/nsamaras

tell me what you think
Old 07-01-2001, 10:54 PM
Nismo_Dude

You can also pop out the nissan symbol in the front, but how do u clean out the throtle body?

Old 07-02-2001, 07:49 PM

catalytic converter

You can pull your catalytic converter out, take a drill bit around 17.5-18" long and drill out the insides. Its a real brittle subastance, maybe ceramic, thats fairly easy to break free. Just make sure they dont hook your exaust up to that damn machine at the safety inspection.

The attachment is the brake painting they were talking about in the previous post.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Speaking of FREE MODS.......

today me and my friend went to get the AC comp. put into his Eclipse at his friends shop...just my luck theres a '90 Max SE sitting in the parking lot about to be donated for a tax write off and what do I spy clear corners and white face gauges and even a get this.....a complete DASH set(those who've seen my interior know why I'm excited, LOL) anyways we swap everything in about an hour, and damn those white gauges look sweet, and finally my dash is completed as well! there were also some dirty *** tan leather seats, but I skipped those, gonna get the SE steering wheel tommorow! and get this the guy who worked at the shop said if I had gotten there earlier there was 2.5" exhaust and aftermarket Y-pipe(I'm guessing Cattman or WSP), the guy said he would have let me swap the exhaust for MY STOCK EQUIPMENT, NO CHARGE!!! I almost sh*t myslef thinking how happy I would have been if I had gotten there a few days earlier for the exhaust.....DAMN can't win 'em all though I'm still happy though! WOOOOHOOOO, if I had time I'd pull the engine too and have some fun, but oh well FREE MODS RULE!!

FREE MODS OWWWWWWWWNNNNNNN!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2001, 11:24 PM

you know what else is a really good mod, is cheap as hell, and I've been actually making some money off of too? Disassemlbe your dash, take all the crap out, and then gel it. Everything in the Dash (such as check engine, seatbelts, turn signals, etc etc) are all little colored pieces of plastic. Well, find a color you like for your dash to be (my preference was the color of the brights in the dash) and cut little areas out, tape it onto the back of the dash display that you'll take out, take out the plastic pieces, pay someone who you know is good at art $5 to transpose the little symbols from the colored plastic to the gel you put in, and reassemble the car. (A note of reference, I've found it's not good to mess with the odometer... wonder why)

I've done this with a few cars, and you can make lots of money off people doing it... cause they have no clue how to do it, it comes out looking sweet as anything, and the gel you can get from any theater store, or store that sells things for musicals, plays, or lighting supplies. These are the same colored gells that they put in stage lighting, so you don't have to worry about it getting too hot and melting or anything like that. The sheets are usually about 11x14 inches, and cost about $7, and you pay your artistic friend $5. $12 ain't bad for a professionally redone dash, huh? And that extra scrap gel can be used to gel the lights in your car if you havn't already changed the bulbs.

-IGGUS
Old 07-05-2001, 12:52 PM

i want to see pics of that!
Old 07-05-2001, 01:50 PM

advance timing

I'm having throttle response probs with my 94, whats the best way to correct it without taking it to nissan?
Old 07-05-2001, 05:42 PM

free mods

Steam clean your engine.. Find a vacuum hose n let it suck up filtered water.(bout a cup full of H2o) Free's up all that nasty stuff inside your engine giving u betta response. Make sure u unplug your O2 sensor...
Old 07-05-2001, 06:13 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

this isnt really "free" but it's pretty cheap. you can make your own "pop" charger for around $25. go to pep boys and buy a cone filter (mine is apc). then take out your stock airbox, find the copper piece inside the airbox, drill out the rivets that hold it in. now once you have this copper piece out you'll notice it's perfect for mounting the cone. $25 isnt bad for a pop-charger.

Old 07-22-2001, 04:51 PM

To those of you who said you wanted to see the pictures of the lights -

I'm home from vacation, and should have access to a digi-cam in a day or two. Just updating you to let you know i didn't forget.

-IGGUS