3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Amazing event today.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:49 PM
heresmymind

Amazing event today.

i was at work and some lady came in and asked to use our phone. She was a regular costumer and comes in alot so I handed her the phone. She called and I over heard her say she blew a tire and that she needed tires badly for her car. when i went out to the parkinglot she had a 92 se. It was pristine condition, leather, power everything, and freshly painted but had stock rims with horrible tires. I felt bad and i talked to her and explained that i had tires with like 70% tred on them on my stock rims. After work i drove them to her house and gave them to her cause i felt really bad. We talked more about her car and it turns out she got it at a police auction for 500$ (119k miles). And that her husband works at a paint shop and redid it. I told her I need to get a paintjob soon and her husband told me he would do it for free since i gave them the tires/rims!!! I am so happy. Free New Paintjob. And hers looked fudgin' mint.

thats my amazing story. the end.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Damn! tell her I'll give her my 97-99 SE rims if they paint mine too
Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Man..post some before and after pics if it really happens.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
mod or sell?

gotta love it when people buy a car and then can't afford to maintain it
Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

.... .... ....
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I love those kind of days! Do be sure to post before an after shots!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 PM

well not trying to rain on your parade but don't buff the clear coat till it dries... seeing is believing. plus it is my experience he may have done a great job on hers but my not do as nice on your! there's always a price and when it's free don't expect much!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like a good enough deal, if you need a paint job. Your generosity returned!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM

well hopefuly it works out for you. You did good so hope that it will return for you too.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I would still offer to pay the guy something, If he's a stand up guy he'll do the right thing but if he's not making any money off it he may just do it to get it done. ITs a good deal if it works out for you.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM

I had something similar happen to my car(under different circumstances), I got a free paintjob and body work from the husband of a woman who hit me. He works at this high end body shop (don't know the name because my dad delivered my car and he forgot the name, but he said it was a high end(luxury cars) body shop)). I got the car checked by a friend of the family who also does body work after I got it back, and he said the person did a great job (using minimal bondo, paint is good quality, etc). too bad someone else did a hit and run on me (right door has dent on the front of it) about a year after that.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM

At least offer to pay for supplies. Maybe ask to help too so you have a feel and can say i helped paint it.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:01 AM

You should probably prep the car yourself and have him spray it. i wouldn't expect him to do the best prep work on a free job.. that was cool of you to hook the chick up with the wheels.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Hectic
You should probably prep the car yourself and have him spray it. i wouldn't expect him to do the best prep work on a free job.. that was cool of you to hook the chick up with the wheels.

the prep work is as important as actually painting the car, and I doubt the guy would want him to help, he would probably be more in the way.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
the prep work is as important as actually painting the car, and I doubt the guy would want him to help, he would probably be more in the way.
that's my point, he might do a junk prep job. how's he going to be in the way? get the body straight and pre-sanded, drop it off and let the guy finish the job.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you mean gotta love when people get a ticket and cant afford to pay them and lose their car in teh process
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well is he including the paint in the offer or just the labor? The materials would run the guy probably $500 (for cheap stuff) unless he steals it from his work.

its still a good deal for just labor but a killer deal for labor and materials.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 PM
VE Powah!!!

See what happens when you do something nice for someone. It always pays off, even if you don't notice right away. It just pays being nice, this is one example. Keep it up.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:31 PM

dang i hooked a kid up with my spare temporarily when i spotted a third gen trying to limp home on a totally blown tire. mother ****er ended up stealing it. i guess some good deeds go unturned.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
dang i hooked a kid up with my spare temporarily when i spotted a third gen trying to limp home on a totally blown tire. mother ****er ended up stealing it. i guess some good deeds go unturned.
i have a good spare.. barely used if you need one....
Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
you mean gotta love when people get a ticket and cant afford to pay them and lose their car in teh process
your just jealous of all my VEs
Old 04-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

that's my point, he might do a junk prep job. how's he going to be in the way? get the body straight and pre-sanded, drop it off and let the guy finish the job.

right so you think its a good idea to have this kid who probably has no idea whats involed in it do it or the pro who does it all the time?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
haha beat me to it.

i would say offer the guy a hand and some money, but dont get offended when he tells you he wants to do it himself. it takes twice as long to show someone how to do it right, with the right sandpapers, and when they F up, you have to go and do it all over again. i know from experience, so let a pro do it.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 AM

right so you think its a good idea to have this kid who probably has no idea whats involed in it do it or the pro who does it all the time?
it's not that hard to bondo your dings and sand the car down. i highly doubt this guy wants to take a ton of time to prep his car the right way. maybe he would though, i was just making a suggestion.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM

it's not that hard to bondo your dings and sand the car down. i highly doubt this guy wants to take a ton of time to prep his car the right way. maybe he would though, i was just making a suggestion.
so oyu're saying you have done it before with good results? got any pictures because there arent any in your profile or a homepage to look at. it took me years to be able to do a good job on my car with alot of trial and error, for someone to be able to get it right the first time ON A WHOLE CAR is amazing.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 AM

I have a sign in my garage that reads ;

HOURLY LABOR RATE

1.) I do the Job Myself = 60.00 Hour

2.) You wan't To help Me Do it = 85.00 Hour

3.) You already did it and wan't me to repair it = 120.00 Hour.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
so oyu're saying you have done it before with good results? got any pictures because there arent any in your profile or a homepage to look at. it took me years to be able to do a good job on my car with alot of trial and error, for someone to be able to get it right the first time ON A WHOLE CAR is amazing.
trial and error? "oops, my bondo wasn't pink enough, better add some more hardener. oops, this sandpaper is too rough, better use a finer grit.." doesn't take years to figure out. i didn't tell him to prime and paint the whole car. even if i did, just because it takes one person years to be able to do something right, doesn't mean there aren't other people out there who can do it right the first time. if every time you try something new, you have expectations that it's going to take years to be good at it, you're setting yourself up for failure. just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 AM

trial and error? "oops, my bondo wasn't pink enough, better add some more hardener. oops, this sandpaper is too rough, better use a finer grit.." doesn't take years to figure out. i didn't tell him to prime and paint the whole car. even if i did, just because it takes one person years to be able to do something right, doesn't mean there aren't other people out there who can do it right the first time. if every time you try something new, you have expectations that it's going to take years to be good at it, you're setting yourself up for failure. just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with trying something new. But experiance is what seperates the men from the boys.

Just take a little advice, if not. THEN your setup for failure. Shavedmax's point is. You know crap about this dude, and your at risk to get a free ****ty paint paint job.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:38 AM

Sounds a little too good to be true, materials for an alright paint job will far exceed the cost of the wheels.
We've all seen paint jobs where there was obviously little time put into prep work. Scuff n' spray as they say. Prep work is everything, it takes very little time to spray a car in relation to the sanding, blocking, priming etc that are the real ingredients to a job that really "pops". Hopefully it works out for you!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Nothing wrong with trying something new. But experiance is what seperates the men from the boys.

Just take a little advice, if not. THEN your setup for failure. Shavedmax's point is. You know crap about this dude, and your at risk to get a free ****ty paint paint job.
i really can't understand everything you're trying to say. seems you think i'm the one getting the paint job which is wrong. and if i understand you correctly, please don't tell me what i "know crap about". the fact is that the advise was to sit back on your lazy as$ and have the guy do the entire job. because according to him, it takes years to be able to apply bondo and sand a car correctly. i'm done with this thread. good luck heres..
Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

the fact is that the advise was to sit back on your lazy as$ and have the guy do the entire job. there's nothing to learn from that type of advice.
Actually Juan said "i would say offer the guy a hand and some money, but dont get offended when he tells you he wants to do it himself. it takes twice as long to show someone how to do it right"

not sit on your lazy ***, which is what I said also, that most likely the guy will want to do it himself to get it done with, and if your getting the car paint might as well have it look nice, prepping a whole car is alot of work, probably not the first job you want to get your hands dirty with. I dont know sounds to me like you dont know what your talking about or your really good at it and its no big deal to you.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:25 PM

prepping a whole car is alot of work, probably not the first job you want to get your hands dirty with. I dont know sounds to me like you dont know what your talking about or your really good at it and its no big deal to you.

dude..........that's the reason i mentioned he should do it himself. because you can't rely on someone doing a free job to take the time to do a good prep job. it's time consuming and important. it's obvious that's what i was saying in my initial reply. as well as all the others
Old 04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
I miss my VE

The husband probably just wants to show his appreciation. Doesn't neccacerily mean that it has to amount for the wheels only.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:04 PM

i would love to know what you do for a living because i wouldnt want you to do it for me.

if you're a chef, steak's too rare put it in a lil more, steak's too burned, scrape off the burnt stuff, add steak sauce

if you're in construction, this cement is too thick, add some water, so what if it has to hold a house up.

if you're a banker, oops dont know where the money in your account is, here have some free tupperware

my point is that a ****ty prep from a professional FAR EXCEEDS the best prep from a noob.

there's nothing wrong with saying to the guy, here's 500 bucks, can you make it look like your wife's car. do you want to show me what i can do to help you. not he let me sand the entire car with 220 and give it to him to paint. 220 is way coarse, requires a full reprime and blocking, while he could have gotten away with sanding the oe finish down with 600, spot priming the work he had to do and calling it a day.

894dsc i want that sighn!!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

my point is that a ****ty prep from a professional FAR EXCEEDS the best prep from a noob.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:31 AM

i would love to know what you do for a living because i wouldnt want you to do it for me.

if you're a chef, steak's too rare put it in a lil more, steak's too burned, scrape off the burnt stuff, add steak sauce

if you're in construction, this cement is too thick, add some water, so what if it has to hold a house up.

if you're a banker, oops dont know where the money in your account is, here have some free tupperware

there's nothing wrong with saying to the guy, here's 500 bucks, can you make it look like your wife's car. do you want to show me what i can do to help you. not he let me sand the entire car with 220 and give it to him to paint. 220 is way coarse, requires a full reprime and blocking, while he could have gotten away with sanding the oe finish down with 600, spot priming the work he had to do and calling it a day.
look man, i know you painted both of your cars. congrats! is recognition what you're after? anyway, the facts are that you don't know the extent of this guy's craftsmanship skills or for that matter mine or anyone else you don't know. look at artists for example, some people naturally have the patience and attention to detail to be a good artist. and on the other hand, you have someone who spent 10 years in art school learning the lines and following instruction. the same philosophy applies to just about anything. of course practice is important, but that doesn't mean the first time doing something, it's guaranteed to end in failure. you say you would hate to have me do something for you that i do for a living? how would you know? you have no clue who i am or what i'm capable of. spreading bondo and sanding a surface isn't rocketscience. prepping an entire car is time consuming, but i just don't agree that a first timer can't do it right. you didn't see mr miyagi asking daniel san if he had ever sanded a floor before... if this were a macco job that he was paying $300 for, would you suggest he hand it over to the "professionals" and let them handle it? if the guy is going to spend the time to prep the car correctly then great, let him do the entire job. i just have a hard time seeing him take the time to do a decent prep job for a set of tires.

lates
Old 04-29-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
i have a good spare.. barely used if you need one....
doug that'd be awesome - we'll meet up some time around philly, keep in touch
T
Old 04-29-2006, 07:40 PM

go to the FDR meet on 5/7/06.... i should be there.. PM me if you are interested..
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM

look man, i know you painted both of your cars. congrats! is recognition what you're after? anyway, the facts are that you don't know the extent of this guy's craftsmanship skills or for that matter mine or anyone else you don't know. look at artists for example, some people naturally have the patience and attention to detail to be a good artist. and on the other hand, you have someone who spent 10 years in art school learning the lines and following instruction. the same philosophy applies to just about anything. of course practice is important, but that doesn't mean the first time doing something, it's guaranteed to end in failure. you say you would hate to have me do something for you that i do for a living? how would you know? you have no clue who i am or what i'm capable of. spreading bondo and sanding a surface isn't rocketscience. prepping an entire car is time consuming, but i just don't agree that a first timer can't do it right. you didn't see mr miyagi asking daniel san if he had ever sanded a floor before... if this were a macco job that he was paying $300 for, would you suggest he hand it over to the "professionals" and let them handle it? if the guy is going to spend the time to prep the car correctly then great, let him do the entire job. i just have a hard time seeing him take the time to do a decent prep job for a set of tires.

lates
actually i was wise enough to hand over my 3rd gen to be painted by a pro when it was painted, as well as being walked through alot of the prep work(which i thought was ready to paint), including having to redo some of my inexperienced attempts at bodywork. it took over month to redo what i thought i did right, putting in 20-30 hrs a week.
my 3rd gen took twice as long to complete because i did a crap job THINKING i did a great job. it took over 40 hrs to prep my 4th gen, knowing what i needed to do. someone who doesnt know what to do is going to take 2 hrs , think theyre the man, and it'll take someone 40 hrs to fix the 2 hr mistakes.
i prepped and painted by 4th gen with a good friend overseeing it all in case i messed up. big differance over having some guy on the org tell you what to do.
everytime i have gotten better, but i still have a way to go, therefore i would not leave the most important thing up to someone who is inexperienced. you can cut and buff runs, and dirt, but you cant polish out sand scratches in the primer that were painted over.

i think we both have the same point in mind, just on 2 sides of the coin. you feel that someone wont spend the ammount of time needed to prep a "free" paint job. i dont think someone inexperienced can prep a car corectly to paint a car for the first time. i think we both agree that proper prep is crucial, therefore like i said in my prior posts, offer the guy a hand and some cash and make sure it's done. i've prepped 5 entire paint jobs, sprayed 2 of them, plus one primer job. it's not fun work, its not easy to get right the first time. i dont know how many you have done since you havent stated that, but i think i can speak from experience when i say to have a pro do it. and i've seen maaco do some great jobs when they get paid to prep a car. their paint sucks, but if given the time, they too can turn out a decent product. i still wouldnt let them paint my cars, except maybe a beater.

Quick Reply: Amazing event today.